Rocket League Catch All

Manged to catch some of the weird glitches that happen all of the time in my games; I can only capture the ones that happen in my favor since Gif your Game gets confused when I ask it to grab a vid when "nothing" happened. Also, no sound, because gyg doesn't do that reliably;

I haven't gone through my captures in a while, so I've got a bunch.

This has been happening a lot more recently. Always interesting when it does.

Been working on my bump game. As much as I hate it, it is effective.

I’ve started using the bump more and more as I’ve been playing, it’s a huge part of the game. Sometimes just hitting someone even the slightest can totally mess up their rhythm. Knowing when to use it right, however, is a skill in itself. I’ve had a few occasions when I’ve went for a bump or demo, and looking back I should’ve done something different (usually noticing because it ends up as a goal!)

Unpopular opinion:
I know it is a part of the game, but that doesn't mean I have to like bump play. It is a cheap tactic, and a way for lesser players to beat better ones. Hitting someone during play is fine - just like hockey or football. No other sport I can think of lets you deliberately take out the goalie. Making a "no bump/demo" box around the goal (where players just pass through each other) doesn't seem like it would be monumentally difficult. I would be interested to know how much of the player base thinks they should stay or go.

and by double i mean triple... man its been a while since I've posted...

dewalist wrote:

Unpopular opinion:
I know it is a part of the game, but that doesn't mean I have to like bump play. It is a cheap tactic, and a way for lesser players to beat better ones. Hitting someone during play is fine - just like hockey or football. No other sport I can think of lets you deliberately take out the goalie. Making a "no bump/demo" box around the goal (where players just pass through each other) doesn't seem like it would be monumentally difficult. I would be interested to know how much of the player base thinks they should stay or go.

I would stop playing the game.

Spoiler:

Though many on here would probably consider that a reason to implement it haha

double posssst

dewalist wrote:

Unpopular opinion:
I know it is a part of the game, but that doesn't mean I have to like bump play. It is a cheap tactic, and a way for lesser players to beat better ones. Hitting someone during play is fine - just like hockey or football. No other sport I can think of lets you deliberately take out the goalie. Making a "no bump/demo" box around the goal (where players just pass through each other) doesn't seem like it would be monumentally difficult. I would be interested to know how much of the player base thinks they should stay or go.

I don’t think that is an unpopular opinion. Lots of players would like bumps to go away.

I’m a big fan of effective bumps. The high level bump game is pretty satisfying and a well established part of Rocket League. Learning to effectively avoid bumps and punish them for trying is a whole set of skills to develop. When bad players try to bump me to make up for me scoring on them I punish them for it.

That being said I understand they can be frustrating for many so I dont bring my bump game to casual GWJ matches unless someone else starts it or they are a higher ranked player and should know to expect it.

Solos would suck without bumps

Interesting. I tend to use bumps more when I'm playing defense. Bump a potential scorer, and he's out of position when the good pass comes. In part I've done this because it does feel cheap to bump a goalie out of the way. Maybe I'll need to be more cut-throat!

Understand that this is only my opinion, and not a critique of individuals who employ what I am about to talk about.

It’s no secret that I hate demo chasing in this game. If that person is on your team, you’re effectively playing a player down, and if they are in the other team, they are either good at it which sucks (and points out you need to further develop your avoidance skill), or they are bad at it, and the other team is a player down, so the game feels cheapened. Assuming new players every match, a demo chaser positively impacts so few games, by the criteria above, to just be annoying when tried.

Bumps, on the other hand... with how little you should be stopped, the bump game requires you to be aware of everything around you and adds an extra level of complexity that is either rewarding or frustrating. I wouldn’t like this game near as much if it were NBA Jam, and everyone had essentially free range to sky, flip and score at will.

The coordinated little things are what makes this game for me: tic-tak-toe passing, fake challenges, and lead blocking require teamwork and coordination. That’s why I hate playing solo; I play this game because I like teamwork but am too fat to go join an ultimate frisbee league.

Bumps can stay, I’d like to see demos gone.

*shrug* when I get demo'ed I either think I should have been better and saw it coming, or as Disco said, well they demoed me way back on my end even though the play is on the other side, so they are playing a man down.

Dodging a demo/bump (the dodge roll video Panda put up months ago has been very helpful for me), regardless if its a "good" demo or bad demo I think is a great judo move that can flip the momentum. love it when someone is coming in for a demo while I'm near the net, I dodge and they go flipping into the net, and I just go up the other way on a 3-2 break.

At the end its just a game. Enjoy it and adapt. Perfect rotation by all players and <20 ping shouldn't be the only time this game is fun for you.

ukickmydog wrote:

I would stop playing the game.

Really - that one change would decrease your enjoyment of the game that much??

Just to clarify, my complaint is 100% specific to bumping the goalie. Bumping during play is perfectly fine, and have no complaints about that feature. I did watch that video Panda shared, and although I am a poor player, I have tried to keep the dodge aspect more in mind. It is when I get demo'd or bumped as goalie that irks me. There is no skill involved in it - just fly in, preferably from behind where the opponent can't see. Drawing the comparison to hockey: hits are allowed, but not to the goalie - and I think for good reason.

But, as Carl said, it is of course just a game - but for whatever reason, no other aspect annoys me more than that one... I can deal with bad rotation, ball hogs, etc - but a goalie bump will spike my blood pressure. Since I highly doubt it will get removed, I will just have to learn to deal with it - or get better at avoiding it.

I'm with ukick, bumps and demos are part of what make the game unique. Like Panda said, they are an essential part of the strategy.

I disagree with the notion that clearing the goalie with a bump or demo takes no skill. Knowing when to look for a goalie clear takes good game awareness and it takes skill to connect if the other player is aware of an incoming attempt. Watch this shot and tell me there is no skill in the demo:

I love the physical aspect of the game and really enjoy how it has become part of the meta game. I think it will continue to develop as the game goes on. I think bumps and trips will become more prevalent as counters to the pure mechanical skill.

FlamingPeasant wrote:

I disagree with the notion that clearing the goalie with a bump or demo takes no skill.

I didn't watch all of that, but most of the ones I saw were not specifically goalie bumps - meaning inside the box, playing defense. And sure, in 1v1 bumps and demos become hugely important - even outside of the box. But while being goalie in 2v2 or 3v3, it can be nearly impossible to keep your eye on an incoming ball while also keeping an eye out - literally behind you - for an incoming demo. We're dealing with a 2D window, after all. Those are not skill-based - they are simply point-and-throttle.

Anyway, it clearly comes down to personal preference of how we play - or want to play - the game. If Psyonix offers a no-goalie-bump option for matchmaking, I will primarily play that. Maybe if I get better someday I will change my mind, but I've been playing since launch and have come to terms with my gold-level status.

Thanks for the discussion!

I'm pretty sure I've shared this video widely already but fast aerials came up in the GWJ discord today and I thought I'd re-share. This is exactly how I learned to do fast aerials and I used to use these drills as part of my warmup every day. When it comes to aerials Kevpert made the best drills.

So, 208 hours played and this happened in 3v3!

IMAGE(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/455038278819643392/533698066700566531/image0.jpg)

I don't know if I'll be able to get out of diamond (I've noticed a definite skill jump as I've got to high plat) for some time, or at all, but I'm so happy I've managed to get this far. I remember starting to play last year and thinking I would never be able to do the things that I saw others do, but putting in the hours, hours, hours (;)) has paid off.

My next big goal is to try get to diamond in 2v2, which I think is much harder. In a lot of the games I play now in 3v3 I tend to be one of the lowest scorers in games, so I think I'm a little bit out my depth and need to do some catching up.

Congrats. There's a few people around here who could team up and make sure you get your 10 wins before the season ends, if you're really worried about it.

Jake recently posted a video on a fast aerial trick to lower how frequently you accidentally flip. Apparently I've always been using this without realizing it.

I have seen my fair share of what some would call "stolen" goals. 99% of the time, I don't actually mind because anything that gets the ball in the goal faster is good for the team, and could prevent an epic save.

Today was the first time I saw a 100% unforgivable steal. This person was inside the opponents goal and a shot came in along the ground. They lined themselves up so that the ball would bounce off them, but still into the goal. You could see in the replay they adjusted to get just the right angle and not deflect it out of the goal - instead of getting completely out of the way. And THEN they put "sorry" into the chat as the icing on the cake.

I wish I had captured it. It's not like I would report someone for that, but wow - it takes a special kind of "f u" attitude to do that...

Goal secured

dewalist wrote:

I have seen my fair share of what some would call "stolen" goals. 99% of the time, I don't actually mind because anything that gets the ball in the goal faster is good for the team, and could prevent an epic save.

Today was the first time I saw a 100% unforgivable steal. This person was inside the opponents goal and a shot came in along the ground. They lined themselves up so that the ball would bounce off them, but still into the goal. You could see in the replay they adjusted to get just the right angle and not deflect it out of the goal - instead of getting completely out of the way. And THEN they put "sorry" into the chat as the icing on the cake.

I wish I had captured it. It's not like I would report someone for that, but wow - it takes a special kind of "f u" attitude to do that...

For me I guess it depends on the situation and it sounds like you feel roughly the same.

If we are not destroying the other team in a ranked game and a rando teammate purposely puts themselves way out of position just to steal a goal I’d find that pretty annoying. If we are dominating the match I wouldn’t care.

In pretty much every other situation (as long as a goal happens) I find this funny as hell. My club I play ranked with does this to each other constantly. It’s a meta game we play: see who can steal the most ridiculous goal. Usually we are not just sitting in their net unless we end up their as the result of a diff play, often we are on their back wall or coming off the roof or whatever but it amounts to the same thing. Last second and completely unecessary redirects happen a lot. If it results in a goal it is all fair. If it accidentally prevents a goal we never let them forget how dumb it was.

I am far more bothered by people putting themselves out of position for no good reason and it doesn’t end up being a goal because them being out of position kills the play.

RL is now fully cross platform as of today.

No this isn’t RocketID. This is just the usual cross play multiplayer we’ve always had except now PlayStation can play with everyone else. Still nice though.

This also implies that when RocketID does come it will support all platforms at once.

They mention in article that RocketID is coming in the first big update of the year but they didn’t give a date for that.

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/fu...

Sweet! We could randomly meet Spikeout from PS4 on PC.

I wonder how that will affect groups - will those continue to be platform-specific?

dewalist wrote:

I wonder how that will affect groups - will those continue to be platform-specific?

RocketID will add cross platform groups

Stele wrote:

Sweet! We could randomly meet Spikeout from PS4 on PC.

Not if he stays on EU servers

Pretty happy with this, it was entirely calculated.

ball cam off

Well, after taking about 2 months off from the game I decided to play a game this weekend and now I'm hooked again. I purchased season 2 of rocket pass even though I'm already a month behind. I hate myself sometimes.

play a bunch and get all your keys back