Windows 10

Those are usually easy to replace, although they can reset various system settings in the process. Check your mobo manual.

Several years ago our OEM builder supplied a whole lot of PCS that would do this regularly - but the time jump could be anything from a few minutes to several hundred years. It really messed with certificates and subscription software. We replaced all of the motherboards and they did it less often after that. We also started selling HP computers around that time. Nothing to do with Windows though...

Yeah, in my experience that sort of bouquet of problems is usually a symptom of of major hardware failure.

If you're having uefi issues a Windows install won't help. A bios flash might, but it's a long shot.

Microsoft made a basic but nice To Do app a short a while ago. They recently updated it so it now works with Office 365 business accounts!

So if your organization uses Outlook and you hate Outlook but want most of its functionality you can use the Mail, Calendar, and To Do apps to get there with a lighter/leaner set of apps.

PaladinTom wrote:

Microsoft made a basic but nice To Do app a short a while ago. They recently updated it so it now works with Office 365 business accounts!

Boy, can't wait to start depending on this tool only to have Microsoft kill it within a year.

T-Prime wrote:
PaladinTom wrote:

Microsoft made a basic but nice To Do app a short a while ago. They recently updated it so it now works with Office 365 business accounts!

Boy, can't wait to start depending on this tool only to have Microsoft kill it within a year.

I feel like they might be trying to kill Outlook.

MrDeVil909 wrote:

Yeah, in my experience that sort of bouquet of problems is usually a symptom of of major hardware failure.

If you're having uefi issues a Windows install won't help. A bios flash might, but it's a long shot.

Well, I think a new battery might have fixed it, but of course, that reset all my settings, so I'm having to go through and redo some stuff. Also, a hard drive is now not registering. So, I'm calling it a day and will mess with it tomorrow. Will keep ya'll updated on how things go.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

Yeah, in my experience that sort of bouquet of problems is usually a symptom of of major hardware failure.

If you're having uefi issues a Windows install won't help. A bios flash might, but it's a long shot.

Well, I think a new battery might have fixed it, but of course, that reset all my settings, so I'm having to go through and redo some stuff. Also, a hard drive is now not registering. So, I'm calling it a day and will mess with it tomorrow. Will keep ya'll updated on how things go.

I may have had some kind of mental break and missed a new page because that comment was meant on reply to Robear and Clusk's conversation.

MrDeVil909 wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

Yeah, in my experience that sort of bouquet of problems is usually a symptom of of major hardware failure.

If you're having uefi issues a Windows install won't help. A bios flash might, but it's a long shot.

Well, I think a new battery might have fixed it, but of course, that reset all my settings, so I'm having to go through and redo some stuff. Also, a hard drive is now not registering. So, I'm calling it a day and will mess with it tomorrow. Will keep ya'll updated on how things go.

I may have had some kind of mental break and missed a new page because that comment was meant on reply to Robear and Clusk's conversation.

Oh no worries! I thought I might be having a motherboard failure. I finally managed to get the other drive to read. I believe I bumped a sata connector on the motherboard while removing and replacing a graphics card. I FINALLY managed to get AI Suite III working on Windows 10 and restored all my overclocking and fan settings. Turns out, while I could get the old version of AI Suite III installed okay thanks to some antique forum threads, I could never get it to actually run at this point on Windows 10. Eventually I found they have a version 3 beta. The download on the motherboard page was still version 1. DOH! So, Asus's latest version works with my old motherboard just fine and isn't broken under Windows 10. Yay! I finally have those tools back which is nice. The last time I managed to get it running and the settings in place, but at some point, it just stopped working and starting up with Windows 10.

I'm curious if my computer will now sleep correctly. If it does, I'm gonna be one happy camper. If not, I'll just shut it down every time instead of using the sleep mode. Will report back in a day or two on that.

Edit: Still pops out of sleep for some reason after awhile. No idea why that happens, but I'm calling this a win. I really don't want to have to buy a new CPU/motherboard since the i4770K overclocked to 4.7 GHz still eats most every game for breakfast somehow these days.

PaladinTom wrote:
T-Prime wrote:
PaladinTom wrote:

Microsoft made a basic but nice To Do app a short a while ago. They recently updated it so it now works with Office 365 business accounts!

Boy, can't wait to start depending on this tool only to have Microsoft kill it within a year.

I feel like they might be trying to kill Outlook.

Nah. Probably just trying to kill the Sticky Notes app they introduced with Vista.

My wife and I started using Wunderlist a couple of years back, and of course right after that Microsoft bought it. This To-Do app looks a whole lot like Wunderlist.

While they haven't outright killed the product, To-Do doesn't bode well for existing Wunderlist users like myself. Why couldn't they just update Wunderlist and migrate it over to a new branding instead of creating a whole new app/service/list platform?

sssiiiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhh

Yeah I bailed from Wunderlist the moment MS bought them. They burned me when they bought Sunrise. Fool me once Microsoft!

To Do is way too basic to be useful right now. The only reason I like it is it talks to Exchange for my work stuff. I recommend Todist or Remember The Milk.

Just a quick glance at some screenshots and MS To-Do seems to have a similar looking ui to Wunderlist - at least in my opinion. I used Wundelist for a while, then Todoist and more recently Google Keep. Going to give the MS app a whirl only because I like really simple todo list apps and like PaladinTom could find compatibility with Outlook helpful.

I have been using my Amazon Echo to make shopping lists. Voice input is great for that feature alone.

I have no f*cking idea why tonight's Windows 10 update broke my audio and I have no idea what buttons I pushed to fix it, but that happened. So, maybe don't update?

It broke one of the USB ports on my external hard drive hub too, so now only one of two ports work and I have no idea why.

The big Windows 10 update also screwed up my audio and video. I had to reinstall NVidia drivers from scratch but that was at least straightforward. The problem I'm having is that the Realtek drivers for my onboard sound don't *quite* work any more, so I'm just using the native Windows ones. I guess the drivers are OK, but the Realtek support/config app just silently refuses to run now.

I liked having the speakers and headphones producing the same sound, so I could just power off the speakers and put on headphones without having to switch anything. The Realtek app let me do that - not directly, but if I screwed with the levels on microphone inputs it would work. Now that doesn't work any more and I have to manually switch outputs, which I guess is the way W10 is supposed to work.

I did find a program that was supposed to set up some kind of mixer output device that would fix the problem for me; it didn't work for that but it did succeed at installing three pieces of ad-infested crapware, so that was fun. I should just buy a 3.5mm Y-splitter and have done with it.

Latest Windows 10 update is deleting files and causing issues with some Intel CPUs.

Weird that it seems they still manually let you download the October update? If so, not even worth the risk of getting it.

That's scary. I installed the update on my home desktop and had no issues. Games and applications have worked fine. All my documents and stuff are in OneDrive so if I lose anything locally I should be able to get it back.

Clusks wrote:

Latest Windows 10 update is deleting files and causing issues with some Intel CPUs.

Weird that it seems they still manually let you download the October update? If so, not even worth the risk of getting it.

I believe you can voluntarily download it manually, but they're rolling out the forced update over the next few weeks.

I can't update windows 10. When I try it goes to about 48% crashes and states it is reversing changes made.

I had this problem before which I solved by selecting a option to save the update files on a external drive. I had to do that because I only had 11gb free on the c drive and windows needed 16gb. It looks like I am having the same problem but windows now need 32gb. The problem is the option to use a external drive for the update has been completely removed and I can't free up enough space for the update. I see instructions online how to do this but the option just doesn't exist anymore. The option was under windows update->fix issues but fix issues isn't there anymore.

Sorry probably should have included a list of things I tried.

Restarted computer

ran disk cleanup

tried uninstalling everything that looked useless

tried windows trouble shooting tool

made sure update services were running

Also note I never save anything to the c drive.

What is taking up the space on your drive? Can you temporarily uninstall stuff and then do the update, if it is failing because of free space?

I think I had that a few updates back, and the fix was to get the Windows Downloader tool and do it local from a downloaded version of the update that was sticking.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...

Thanks I think I got it worked out but will try windows downloader if it doesn't work. Basically I found out when windows updates it creates a backups on the c drive. I have multiple of these backups going back years eating up my drive space. So I'm currently deleting them. Also I found instructions on how to change where windows download updates so I'm doing that now.

So if this happens to anyone else freeing up space got me farther down the update process but it crashed again with a new error. Then I tried Mannishboy idea which worked better but still crashy crashy. Better meaning it got to a higher percentage before crashing. Then I disconnected everything from my laptop and tried again and that work. Now I'm wondering if I did that in the first place would that have work. I don't think so since I would have still been out of space. Anyway it is all working now.

I've gotten this error for over a year now:
Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2 (2)
Last failed install attempt on ‎6/‎14/‎2021 - 0xc1900101

It will take about 20 minutes to update, then inevitably roll back to the state prior to the update. Windows says my (unupdated) version is getting close to the end of support, but I can't update.

Supposedly disconnecting all peripherals solves this for some, but not for me. It might be an outdated BIOS driver but I can't find any updates for mine, so I think I'm just gonna ride this version of W10 as long as I can.

There's a whole list of issues that crop up with that error code--maybe one of the other suggestions will do the trick: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...

I haven't posted it in this thread. I think I posted it in the tech help thread a while back. My PC that's been running on the same Win 10 install since Win 10 came out has a weird issue. Every so often, the number keys above the letters just stop working, include the special characters with shift. If I open an app like the calculator and drag it to the opposite monitor, suddenly those keys work again.

This happens every day or two.

It's weird and I've found no reference to it anywhere, probably because issues like mine are hidden by the people searching for issues caused by them accidently hitting the num-lock key and their keypads not working.