Splatoon 1 & 2

I forgot, May is the likely release because Xenoblade is going to be their April release.

I love that Nintendo tries to spread their games out to one per month on average. So reliable.

Oh my, this game could be really close!

Any chance of adding a Splatoon Ventrilo channel when the time comes? I'd love to squirt some ink with you guys with full voice chat.

I'm interested to see how the game plays without the feature. I would be disappointed, but have to remind myself I don't use voice chat anyway.

So... I'll eventually be picking up Kirby, S.T.E.A.M, Xenoblade and Splatoon. Yikes, the wallet hurts.

If all the doomsayers are correct, than 2015 is the last big year for WiiU releases! That will give my wallet time to grow and the pile time to shrink! ;p

I'd love to squirt some ink with you guys with full voice chat.

...

ClockworkHouse wrote:
I'd love to squirt some ink with you guys with full voice chat.

...

ccesarano wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:
I'd love to squirt some ink with you guys with full voice chat.

...

I LOL'ed so hard.

Artwork and screens (75 images) and a PAX recap:

Also, I never noticed they all have black masks around their eyes.

Looks fantastic. The map on the gamepad is awesome and the touch to jump across the map mechanic looks great. Anything to minimize down time in these kinds of games is just going to add to the fun.

A nice preview.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doe...

Splatoon has come a long way since E3, where it was presented as more of a vertical slice, or a concept, rather than a complete vision. Now, Splatoon has an established world and story, a single player mode that feels distinct from multiplayer matches, and elements, including gear and ranked matches, to lure in fans of other competitive shooters. The lack of voice chat is concerning, but for casual players, it may not matter. I had such a fun time swimming as a squid, trying to sneak around a map and cover enemy territory with ink, that I wasn't as concerned for what my team was doing. Perhaps I should have been, but we were all doing the same thing, and most importantly, having a great time.

I do think that everyone doing more or less the same activity and being able to see the whole map at a glance lessens the need for voice chat for public matches. I'm sure some people would still like to have it with friends, though.

Yeah, I absolutely don't want voice chat when playing pubs. It was a welcome omission in MK8. But I would like to have it when playing with friends. It seems they should be able to do what Xbox had where you could be in a party and all be in different games. (I never got voice chat working with MK8)

Kyekye wrote:

Yeah, I absolutely don't want voice chat when playing pubs. It was a welcome omission in MK8. But I would like to have it when playing with friends. It seems they should be able to do what Xbox had where you could be in a party and all be in different games. (I never got voice chat working with MK8)

I don't really use voice chat in MP shooters for the actual game activity. Its only to chat during down time and very occasionally figure out where someone is.

I just want to talk with friends, virtual and otherwise. Playing Mario Kart 8 with Cesarano, ShopTroll and a few others during Extra Life while talking light smack on Ventrilo was AMAZING.

I'll live without it, though.

When my wife plays Call of Duty she's always calling out enemy locations and otherwise coordinating with her clanmates. They're mostly retired military though... not sure how typical they are.

I haven't really played a PvP FPS since Jedi Academy, but I'm really looking forward to this one.

a gushing preview from an outlet I've never heard of.

Three to four hours of preview time is a lot these days, especially around two months before the finished game is due for release, but even that seemed woefully short. Not because we needed additional time to explore more of the game, but because Splatoon was one of the most accessible, funny and downright fun multiplayer experiences we've had since we first discovered the Mario Kart battle stages on the SNES. And we didn't want to stop playing.

It's getting really hard to not just go pre-order, making this the first full price purchase out of my pocket since... possibly Super Mario Galaxy, and possibly my first $60 game. Especially since the wife is pretty excited about it, too.

mrtomaytohead wrote:

a gushing preview from an outlet I've never heard of.

Three to four hours of preview time is a lot these days, especially around two months before the finished game is due for release, but even that seemed woefully short. Not because we needed additional time to explore more of the game, but because Splatoon was one of the most accessible, funny and downright fun multiplayer experiences we've had since we first discovered the Mario Kart battle stages on the SNES. And we didn't want to stop playing.

It's getting really hard to not just go pre-order, making this the first full price purchase out of my pocket since... possibly Super Mario Galaxy, and possibly my first $60 game. Especially since the wife is pretty excited about it, too.

Speaking of pre-orders, have they announced any incentives for pre-ordering yet. That doesn't seem to be Nintendo's thing, but I'm curious. I'm also expecting a related Amiibo announcement to go with it. It'd be cool if you could use amiibo's as NPCs in the game and issue commands.

Kyekye wrote:
mrtomaytohead wrote:

a gushing preview from an outlet I've never heard of.

Three to four hours of preview time is a lot these days, especially around two months before the finished game is due for release, but even that seemed woefully short. Not because we needed additional time to explore more of the game, but because Splatoon was one of the most accessible, funny and downright fun multiplayer experiences we've had since we first discovered the Mario Kart battle stages on the SNES. And we didn't want to stop playing.

It's getting really hard to not just go pre-order, making this the first full price purchase out of my pocket since... possibly Super Mario Galaxy, and possibly my first $60 game. Especially since the wife is pretty excited about it, too.

Speaking of pre-orders, have they announced any incentives for pre-ordering yet. That doesn't seem to be Nintendo's thing, but I'm curious. I'm also expecting a related Amiibo announcement to go with it. It'd be cool if you could use amiibo's as NPCs in the game and issue commands.

They haven't even announced a release date yet! Nintendo doesn't usually do much special for pre-order incentives. I think the most substantial thing I've seen was a commerative coin for Mario Galaxy.

Amiibo support is rumored but that's based on a retail listing in South Africa, again no official word yet. But we're probably due for a Direct real soon which will probably focus on Splatoon since I think the release window was May last I heard.

So, this is officially May, eh? Just saw on NoA's Twitter that it's coming then.

I'm very much looking forward to this. Since I've skipped on MP10 and Rainbow Curse, I can totally justify this!

It's been "May" for awhile now. I really hope today's Direct gives us a better release date than that!

6:00 can't come fast enough!

Edge is putting Splatoon on the cover of the magazine this month with the headline:

How Nintendo reinvented multiplayer shooters.

link for cover image that is a close up of the eyes of an orange squid form inkling

I'm so ready for this game. I have realized a bit more lately I love shooters that deviate from the typical. I've been really loving my time with Titanfall, which grants a ton of mobility and added level of combat diversity with the Titans. I think Splatoon will scratch the same itch, whereas I was nearly done with FPS games after Battlefield 3.

I'm so ready for this too. I've dabbled with FPS games but generally only those that fall well outside the realistic military shooter camp. I think Bioshock Infinite and its DLC put me in a bit of a slump with the genre so I'm hoping this game gets me enjoying the pew pew again.

Glad there's at least 1 other person out there.

I'm in the same boat, too. It was also Bioshock Infinite that finally burned me out on big gory shooters. I'm super excited to play something that's just... fun and colorful.

My kids are very excited for this game. I'm reserving judgement until I see how I fare with it wrt motion sickness, but I'm liking how it looks so far. I'm a little concerned about the idea of having to play multiplayer in order to level up, I'm hoping my kids won't find that too hard.

I haven't been burnt out on shooters, but there's also a lot less of them being made compared to five years ago or more. I've just had more to play.

Of course, I've been playing Metroid Prime recently, but even with the Wii's pointer controls it doesn't feel like playing a shooter.

Either way, still fired up for this because it looks interesting.

And now we know why Splatoon won't have voice chat. Spoiler: it was a deliberate choice, and it's because people online are jerks.

And, I'm okay with that reason. Again, I'll say GWJ Skype n' Squirt, incoming!

Zoso1701 wrote:

Again, I'll say GWJ Skype n' Squirt, incoming!

I'm so glad I just moved my WiiU back into the living room away from my computer.

Cross-posting from the Wii-U thread:

If you're still sitting on the fence, looks like there's gonna be a Splatoon bundle at Best Buy for $300. Comes with Nintendo-Land pre-installed and a download code for Splatoon.

Reminder: Splatoon-specific Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 7 AM Pacific / 10 AM Eastern / 3 PM UK / 4 PM CET.