Halo: Master Chief Collection Catch-All

Pages

How is the online co-op for this game these days? Thinking about playing Halo 3 with TheWalt, online.

Well I finally got a copy of this game for 27 bucks I couldn't pass it up. If anybody ever wants to play my gamertag is on my profile and at the moment I have a lot of free time on my hands.

Not sure if there is a Halo 5 thread yet (search not working) but I my interest just piqued when I read this article. DOTA mechanics in Halo with big teams...

Ars Technica

Also I just got a code for this the collection with the new xbox. Looking forward to playing through 2 with the new coat of paint.

After the E3 showing of Halo 5 Guardians I was easily swayed back onto the hype train. Mostly because of Captain Reynolds. Warzone looks pretty interesting though...

Made a thread for Halo 5.

https://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/...

https://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/...

There already was a Halo 5 Thread, but we can switch to the new one.

TheCounselor wrote:

https://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/...

There already was a Halo 5 Thread, but we can switch to the new one.

Crap, sorry; up to you guys, of course.

Thanks to my friend Docjoe, I finally got to play the first Halo and also checked out Halo 2. Wow, this still plays really well.

How do you zoom or iron sight your gun?

Iron sights are only a recent addition to halo. You can zoom in with the sniper or other long range rifles by pushing in the right thumbstick (I think).

I'm not stoked on iron sights for Halo. I like having the reticule and not having a concept of aim vs shoot-from-the-hip.

EvilDead wrote:

Iron sights are only a recent addition to halo. You can zoom in with the sniper or other long range rifles by pushing in the right thumbstick (I think).

Correct, right thumbstick. That being said, if the gun doesn't support zoom, a right-click basically throws up a zoomed binoculars view and you can't shoot. In Halo 2, you can IIRC zoom the sniper, rocket launcher, Covenant carbine, and beam rifle. The beloved Sniper Pistol of Doom from Halo went away for a while.

The achievements not popping and service record not reflecting the completion of levels for which I'm getting credit in-game is ridiculous. An "audit" once in awhile (or with a voluntary click in MCC's settings/options) wherein the game compares what it knows vs. what the achievements and service record show does not seem difficult.

I played this last night with a friend a some people he knows and it was a blast. There was this one weird bug that we hit where I had to join the group lobby before my friend or else I wasn't able to join which was strange has anybody else had that issue

Played a bit of ODST yesterday (and will probably play more today). It really is one of the best Halo games IMHO. You have all the normal high action set piece heavy Halo stuff but then you also have the moody saxophone fueled wandering around the dark city stuff which is so unlike anything any other Halo game has done. Also my favorite part: no Flood.

Rykin wrote:

Played a bit of ODST yesterday (and will probably play more today). It really is one of the best Halo games IMHO. You have all the normal high action set piece heavy Halo stuff but then you also have the moody saxophone fueled wandering around the dark city stuff which is so unlike anything any other Halo game has done. Also my favorite part: no Flood.

Agreed. It also just works, for the most part. There's a story, it is cohesive. The action is fun and constant. You can stop and fight, or you can run like hell for the entire game. (And if you don't believe me, see the achievement for getting through the whole game on Legendary in less than 3 hours!)

So I just picked up a XBox One along with MCC on Saturday and I'm really loving it so far. I started at the beginning and eventually plan on working my way through all four games. Normally I play on Legendary, but had to dial it back down to Heroic on the Halo level. The first part where you help defend the stranded marines gets me every time. The Covenant drop ships come in quick, and no matter what I do all the marines end up dead. Then I always get rushed with impossible odds and have to restart. I remember making it through playing on the 360, but this time I gave up and dropped the difficulty. Must be getting rusty, I'll have to give it another attempt once I've polished my skills a bit more.

What's difficulty levels to you all play SP campaigns on?

I haven't really played many of the Halo games previously, I did play through Reach several years ago on (I believe) Heroic and... didn't really like it. But with the praise this series consistently gets I picked up MCC to give the series a 2nd chance.

I started with the first game and so far... I'm quite enjoying it, but I'm not sure what difficulty to play on. I started off on Heroic for the first two levels but was starting to get frustrated by how often I was dying, so I switched to Normal for level 3 and it seems a bit on the easy side. Should I be shooting for Heroic and just learning how to play better? Any combat tips or anything I should know about?

Also, the grunt enemies in this game don't fit. Their cutesy sounds and animations are just tonally inconsistent.

If you have somebody to play with Heroic is a really good spot but you might get frustrated not being a "hardcore" halo player going solo. On Heroic the AI is much better and more aggressive.

You might just want to play it on Normal and if you enjoy it enough go back through on Heroic.

1) The devs expect you to play on Heroic. That's what they tune toward.

2) The devs expect you to die a lot.

3) Basically the games get easier as you go. But each game also has a few spots where you can really really get thumped by the AI.

Occasionally, you can also get a bad auto-save, which puts you in a difficult spot that made it hard to progress. That always frustrated me.

I'm playing on Heroic and find the difficulty just about right. I still die, but not nearly as much as I was on Legendary. Just finished up 343 Guilty Spark last night, planning on wrapping up the last four levels this week so I can move on to Halo 2.

For Legendary I'm either going to have to get a lot better or attempt them in coop. A GWJ Halo night where you get four people to play through each level would be nice if there is any interest. Barring that my plan was to wait until I finished all four games then go back and hopefully I'll be good enough to knock each one out.

Considering that MCC came with my XB1, I finally played a couple missions of the first Halo today. My previous Halo experience is almost none. (I played for about 5 minutes in whatever one was released for GAmes with Gold long ago.) It's pretty fun so far, but in the second mission, I was in the vehicle called the Warthog and it reminded me of the freaking MAKO! So naturally, I crashed into everything along the way to where I was going, then flipped it over, and the guys that were in it fell out yelling and then they both ran away. So I got back in and entered the big metal area that had the bad guys in it? (Covenant? Whoever they are...) So I'd drive up, get out and then get back in to the gunner position, mow them down, get out, get into driver position and drive further, get out, etc. Then I got out and ran around shooting the two or three that were left.

The Cortana lady (the same Cortona that my Windows 10 is cursed with?) talked about finding a switch to the bridge, so I ran around for ten minutes trying to find something that looked like a switch or controls, completely missing the narrow passage that led to it. EVentually I did find it though!

Got entirely lost numerous times trying to find the mission goals, and yes, continuing to crash into everything. After coming back to the vehicle after having left it for a few minutes, I was thrilled to find two new guys sitting in it. Not sure where they came from, but I wasn't complaining! Was really careful not to flip the vehicle again and actually got to drive *and* have the guns work. We did go over an edge into the water, but thankfully the vehicle stayed upright and the guys were yelling something like, "Woo hoo!" which was funny! At some point, the bad guys blasted the vehicle so that it flipped over and then killed the two guys. Ouch! Oh well. At least it was near the end of the mission and I didn't need to drive anywhere else.

I feel like I missed some sort of introductory movie or something because at the beginning I found myself on a ship and these Covenant people were attacking and I really didn't (and still don't) know who anyone is other than that I'm supposed to be defending whatever *isn't* Covenant, whoever these people are. The game wanted me to quickstart mission 1 and I couldn't figure out a non-quickstart way to start the game.

bekkilyn wrote:

The Cortana lady (the same Cortona that my Windows 10 is cursed with?) talked about finding a switch to the bridge, so I ran around for ten minutes trying to find something that looked like a switch or controls, completely missing the narrow passage that led to it. EVentually I did find it though!

I couldn't find that switch either and I'd guess that lots of people were stuck there too. I don't remember many other situations like that in the later game, although I remember getting a bit lost in ODST a couple of times. It's a very different game though. Of course combat can be quite tricky at times and slow you down (depending on your difficulty setting) but that's part of the appeal for most people.

bekkilyn wrote:

Considering that MCC came with my XB1, I finally played a couple missions of the first Halo today. My previous Halo experience is almost none. (I played for about 5 minutes in whatever one was released for GAmes with Gold long ago.) It's pretty fun so far, but in the second mission, I was in the vehicle called the Warthog and it reminded me of the freaking MAKO! So naturally, I crashed into everything along the way to where I was going, then flipped it over, and the guys that were in it fell out yelling and then they both ran away. So I got back in and entered the big metal area that had the bad guys in it? (Covenant? Whoever they are...) So I'd drive up, get out and then get back in to the gunner position, mow them down, get out, get into driver position and drive further, get out, etc. Then I got out and ran around shooting the two or three that were left.

The Cortana lady (the same Cortona that my Windows 10 is cursed with?) talked about finding a switch to the bridge, so I ran around for ten minutes trying to find something that looked like a switch or controls, completely missing the narrow passage that led to it. EVentually I did find it though!

Got entirely lost numerous times trying to find the mission goals, and yes, continuing to crash into everything. After coming back to the vehicle after having left it for a few minutes, I was thrilled to find two new guys sitting in it. Not sure where they came from, but I wasn't complaining! Was really careful not to flip the vehicle again and actually got to drive *and* have the guns work. We did go over an edge into the water, but thankfully the vehicle stayed upright and the guys were yelling something like, "Woo hoo!" which was funny! At some point, the bad guys blasted the vehicle so that it flipped over and then killed the two guys. Ouch! Oh well. At least it was near the end of the mission and I didn't need to drive anywhere else.

I feel like I missed some sort of introductory movie or something because at the beginning I found myself on a ship and these Covenant people were attacking and I really didn't (and still don't) know who anyone is other than that I'm supposed to be defending whatever *isn't* Covenant, whoever these people are. The game wanted me to quickstart mission 1 and I couldn't figure out a non-quickstart way to start the game.

Best summary of Halo ever.

The Halo games are terrible at explaining their plot, so expect to be confused for the entirety of the series.

Top_Shelf wrote:
bekkilyn wrote:

Awesome summary

Best summary of Halo ever. :)

My favorite is "the Cortana lady."

I love the Halo games, but I was always a bumbling Master Chief, and the Benny Hill theme might have been a better soundtrack to what was I was doing.

Bekkilyn I suggest that you spend time watching these videos to give a better idea of what is going on.

My son and I are playing through the Halo 2 campaign. First, holy crap is that remaster awesome! Second, we have gotten lost several times, kinda miss the arrow pointing you in which direction to go. And the plot is a bit - opaque. He keeps asking "Dad what's going on?" and I just have to say "Just keep shooting, son".

I think it took us about 2 hours to complete that second level of Halo the first time through. Was playing co-op and we kept getting lost. Later Halo games got waypoints figured out better. Good luck on The Library. That level is the low point of the game. Luckily the remastered version adds some extra lights to help show you where you need to go. Also glowing arrows on the floors often point you to where you need to go in Forerunner structures (until you go back through the same spaces backwards then you go the way they don't point ).

Pages