Marvel Media (This is the spoiler thread, Q-Stone - You're welcome)

Post it!

Thanks for posting that! I had no idea it was up.

I was too busy laughing my ass off at ESPNU's coverage of the college football national title game.

The Avengers: Age of Everyone Pissed Off at Stark.

Of course we know the follow up is already announced: Captain America: Still Pissed Off at Stark.

:p

Mantid wrote:

The Avengers: Age of Everyone Pissed Off at Stark.

Of course we know the follow up is already announced: Captain America: Still Pissed Off at Stark.

:p

Hopefully it'll end up being Captain America: We Paid Sony a Lot of Money to Have Spider-Man Here to be Pissed Off at Stark.

More rumors re: Spidey coming to the MCU, now slated for 2018:
https://www.nerdist.com/2015/01/rumo...

New meme going around:
IMAGE(https://41.media.tumblr.com/e8334d71e94ec49e370fe3c7af1f6c40/tumblr_nibucywfcr1r1vyc0o1_1280.jpg)
IMAGE(https://40.media.tumblr.com/6eda07d3145c749bf346d9257ebed9cc/tumblr_nibucywfcr1r1vyc0o2_1280.jpg)
IMAGE(https://40.media.tumblr.com/7b8cab1046e3cc14c56a0916c33d2b64/tumblr_nibucywfcr1r1vyc0o3_1280.jpg)
IMAGE(https://40.media.tumblr.com/c586660d5741df7e96482a7b776daf5c/tumblr_nibucywfcr1r1vyc0o4_1280.jpg)

IMAGE(https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/l/t1.0-9/10931395_902549803112519_2802069673266551807_n.png?oh=18da806f986783bd33c71067cb1fa720&oe=5568B56F)

IMAGE(http://41.media.tumblr.com/d31d3c9742dd51999962684497cb5bf6/tumblr_ni62bxxn3v1trsbk4o3_1280.png)
IMAGE(http://40.media.tumblr.com/a19a04db53621c3a64d5f71fbfbaad1c/tumblr_ni62bxxn3v1trsbk4o2_1280.png)
IMAGE(http://41.media.tumblr.com/fe50ca39dffffcce038af3e661e88ee7/tumblr_ni62bxxn3v1trsbk4o1_1280.png)
IMAGE(http://41.media.tumblr.com/6e7a2e22db7e2dc193e6ddb2b5174e15/tumblr_ni62bxxn3v1trsbk4o4_500.jpg)

I just realized (actually my wife did) that the guy who the Mandarin executed while talking to the President in Iron Man 3 worked for Roxxon Oil. Roxxon Oil is the place that was blown up in Agent Carter. I'm not sure if it has a comics connection, but it is kind of cool to see that link.

Roxxon Energy has had a long history in the comics. Been around since 1974.

Agent Coulson also stops at a Roxxon gas station in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer".

Mantid wrote:

Roxxon Energy has had a long history in the comics. Been around since 1974.

Agent Coulson also stops at a Roxxon gas station in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer". :D

Still my favorite short for them... though the one with Mandarin's prison time is likely to be more significant in the long run.

I have no idea what (if any) effect this will have on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it looks like Marvel is rebooting their entire comic universe, including both the regular line and the Ultimates line.

I hope they use this as an opportunity to continue to try to shake comic books away from the tropes and audience expectations that have built up over the years. The MCU is undoubtedly introducing a lot of new potential readers to the comics, and Marvel has a great opportunity to offer them something fresh.

If it's just a big doubling-down on the existing comic book culture like The New 52 seems to have been, then count me out.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I have no idea what (if any) effect this will have on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it looks like Marvel is rebooting their entire comic universe, including both the regular line and the Ultimates line.

I hope they use this as an opportunity to continue to try to shake comic books away from the tropes and audience expectations that have built up over the years. The MCU is undoubtedly introducing a lot of new potential readers to the comics, and Marvel has a great opportunity to offer them something fresh.

If it's just a big doubling-down on the existing comic book culture like The New 52 seems to have been, then count me out.

That doesn't *seem* like the direction Marvel's been going for the past three or four years, but who knows. More of the interesting, progressive writers have been working for Marvel lately - Fraction, DeConnick, Hickman, Gillen. I don't see Marvel sending them away, and if they remain, the level of steerage they provide will be a great foundation.

I agree, but I'm still in a wait-and-see mode. The New 52 was pretty disappointing to me.

What I'm really trying to say is, "Please, Marvel, give me both an opening and a reason to read your comics again."

Man I just started reading Marvel comics recently so I should be the target audience for this kind of thing but it seems so... unnecessary.

But if they keep going in the direction they're going with titles like Hawkeye it should be fine. I would assume they're going to do more MCU-related stuff, which would also be okay.

While this would have the advantage of erasing things like Civil War, One More Day, Avengers #200, and the festering stench of the 90s Rob Liefeld comics, I happen to like things like "continuity" and "history". Very much dubious here.

I really liked the Ultimate universe when it first launched. It was way better than the new 52.

I would be very interested in a MCU comic line. As long as they stuck to the continuity, I'd love to see more stories that we may never see on-screen. Although, between the ABC, Netflix, and film series I'm not sure what's left!

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

While this would have the advantage of erasing things like Civil War, One More Day, Avengers #200, and the festering stench of the 90s Rob Liefeld comics, I happen to like things like "continuity" and "history". Very much dubious here.

I like continuity and history, too, but I've found that they present, for me as a new reader, a real barrier to entry. Fans who have read comic books for ages love those lines of dialogue accompanied by a little asterisk ("*See Uncanny X-Men #303") but as a new reader there's so much history, and so many characters, over such a long period of time that I have trouble keeping it all straight. And when a new hero or villain pops up in the middle of an issue, I usually don't have a clue who they are or why they're doing what they're doing. (That's obviously Ultron, but not the one made by Ant-Man, the other one that made itself after Galactus used the crystalized remnant of Phoenix's power that the Kree had been holding on to to imbue one of Pepper Pott's powered armor suits with sentience after Captain America and the Green Goblin destroyed the original Ultron in the Second War of Infinity. This Ultron is here to get revenge on Spider-Man who he believes was psychically controlling Green Goblin at the time after Mr Fantastic accidentally gave him part of Professor X's psychic powers. Duh.)

ClockworkHouse wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:

While this would have the advantage of erasing things like Civil War, One More Day, Avengers #200, and the festering stench of the 90s Rob Liefeld comics, I happen to like things like "continuity" and "history". Very much dubious here.

I like continuity and history, too, but I've found that they present, for me as a new reader, a real barrier to entry. Fans who have read comic books for ages love those lines of dialogue accompanied by a little asterisk ("*See Uncanny X-Men #303") but as a new reader there's so much history, and so many characters, over such a long period of time that I have trouble keeping it all straight. And when a new hero or villain pops up in the middle of an issue, I usually don't have a clue who they are or why they're doing what they're doing. (That's obviously Ultron, but not the one made by Ant-Man, the other one that made itself after Galactus used the crystalized remnant of Phoenix's power that the Kree had been holding on to to imbue one of Pepper Pott's powered armor suits with sentience after Captain America and the Green Goblin destroyed the original Ultron in the Second War of Infinity. This Ultron is here to get revenge on Spider-Man who he believes was psychically controlling Green Goblin at the time after Mr Fantastic accidentally gave him part of Professor X's psychic powers. Duh.)

Ah yes, the simpler, one-shot issues.

Clocky wrote:

(That's obviously Ultron, but not the one made by Ant-Man, the other one that made itself after Galactus used the crystalized remnant of Phoenix's power that the Kree had been holding on to to imbue one of Pepper Pott's powered armor suits with sentience after Captain America and the Green Goblin destroyed the original Ultron in the Second War of Infinity. This Ultron is here to get revenge on Spider-Man who he believes was psychically controlling Green Goblin at the time after Mr Fantastic accidentally gave him part of Professor X's psychic powers. Duh.)

And that's why I don't read any of Marvel's stuff right now.

Oh I dabbled in Runaways a bit a few years ago. But seriously I just stay the hell out of everything. There's way too much stuff there going on.

I much more enjoy series that have a beginning and an end. This ongoing for decades stuff is no good for me.

Clocky wrote:

(That's obviously Ultron, but not the one made by Ant-Man, the other one that made itself after Galactus used the crystalized remnant of Phoenix's power that the Kree had been holding on to to imbue one of Pepper Pott's powered armor suits with sentience after Captain America and the Green Goblin destroyed the original Ultron in the Second War of Infinity. This Ultron is here to get revenge on Spider-Man who he believes was psychically controlling Green Goblin at the time after Mr Fantastic accidentally gave him part of Professor X's psychic powers. Duh.)

My favourite part of that sentence is that I don't know if it's real or made up.

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
Clocky wrote:

(That's obviously Ultron, but not the one made by Ant-Man, the other one that made itself after Galactus used the crystalized remnant of Phoenix's power that the Kree had been holding on to to imbue one of Pepper Pott's powered armor suits with sentience after Captain America and the Green Goblin destroyed the original Ultron in the Second War of Infinity. This Ultron is here to get revenge on Spider-Man who he believes was psychically controlling Green Goblin at the time after Mr Fantastic accidentally gave him part of Professor X's psychic powers. Duh.)

My favourite part of that sentence is that I don't know if it's real or made up. :)

Well it's all made up. Sorry to break it to you, but Spider-Man isn't real.

Stele wrote:

Well it's all made up. Sorry to break it to you, but Spider-Man isn't real.

What.

Hmm could this be Marvel's way to get some of their IPs back by reinventing them? Sort of like the talk of canceling the fantastic four comics.

I use to be a big comic reader way back in the 90s but hologram and chromium covers turned me off. To many gimmicks bleh. I doubt this will get me to start reading comics again because I just would rather watch a cartoon or a movie instead.

So secret wars eh? Does that mean the beyonder is back?

Brizahd wrote:

Hmm could this be Marvel's way to get some of their IPs back by reinventing them? Sort of like the talk of canceling the fantastic four comics.

I use to be a big comic reader way back in the 90s but hologram and chromium covers turned me off. To many gimmicks bleh. I doubt this will get me to start reading comics again because I just would rather watch a cartoon or a movie instead.

So secret wars eh? Does that mean the beyonder is back?

Oh, Bendis did a retcon whopper on the Beyonder...

Stele wrote:
Chumpy_McChump wrote:
Clocky wrote:

(That's obviously Ultron, but not the one made by Ant-Man, the other one that made itself after Galactus used the crystalized remnant of Phoenix's power that the Kree had been holding on to to imbue one of Pepper Pott's powered armor suits with sentience after Captain America and the Green Goblin destroyed the original Ultron in the Second War of Infinity. This Ultron is here to get revenge on Spider-Man who he believes was psychically controlling Green Goblin at the time after Mr Fantastic accidentally gave him part of Professor X's psychic powers. Duh.)

My favourite part of that sentence is that I don't know if it's real or made up. :)

Well it's all made up. Sorry to break it to you, but Spider-Man isn't real.

Nuh-uh! I could totally be Spider-Man!

Spoiler:

I was thinking of that when I wrote, but enjoyed it too much to alter it. :)

EDIT: I enjoy that Spider-Man is the thing that's not real in that phrase. Everything? Totes ok.

Chumpy_McChump wrote:

EDIT: I enjoy that Spider-Man is the thing that's not real in that phrase. Everything? Totes ok. :lol:

Well Spider-Man or Professor X would probably be the most popular things from that paragraph. Just had to pick something to focus on to drive home the point. I did say it was all made up, though.

Nobody opens with "Dasher isn't real" when they start telling the truth about Santa Claus.

Brizahd wrote:

Hmm could this be Marvel's way to get some of their IPs back by reinventing them? Sort of like the talk of canceling the fantastic four comics.

Thought that was already underway by changing mutants to inhumans? But maybe this is part of that?

I thought the mutants had been changed to miracles?

I thought the mutants had been changed to miracles?