Marvel Media (Spoiler Thread)

Not Alone | Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel | Disney+

Just finished Moon Knight - i liked it alot, except I found the ending unacceptably abrupt. Super cool episode and then bam, and i didn't feel like it got a solid resolution.

Hope it gets a second season.

Saw Dr Strange today and still sorting through my thoughts about it. Actual spoilers included:

Spoiler:

I'm not super versed in comic-Wanda, but I've read some of the main arcs. I'm mostly just bothered by how one-note Wanda/SW was in the movie. After WandaVision's layered and deeper character, her getting tossed into a "motherhood-madness" just irked me. A lot. Yeah, Wanda does some awful and major things in the comics, but it felt more earned than this movie's take. It just felt hollowly tacked on--here's a sometimes bad character, let's just do that. In an odd way, it felt hollow not unlike old Spidey 3.

I don't feel like this movie did much to further the MCU or expand on characters or relationships (except to introduce America, who was the best part of the movie). Unless there's something crucial that later ties back to DS2, I think it may slide alongside Hulk as entirely skippable if you just read a summary instead. And maybe watch a clip montage of America (though I can only see her being a better character next time around, so this time still might not matter much). The Illuminati is maybe one of the things that will come up again, but I can't imagine that Reed or Xavier or Black Bolt wouldn't need a full introduction if/when they pop up again anyway. But I'd sure could use more Cap Carter...

Wasn't a big fan of the all the gruesome-without-showing deaths, though. Just not my taste.

And I really did not like "let's do the bad thing with the devil book so we can do the good thing." I know basically nothing of Dr Strange in comics and maybe this is right on brand for the character, but I just feel like the world right now needs less 'means-justifying' movies.

Edit: I finally found a reference that said Earth 838 was filmed at 30 fps to give it a unique feel—which it sure did to me and was actually kinda jarring during the movie as I tried to figure out if I just hadn’t noticed or what. A nice trick, but more immersion breaking than flavor-adding, to me

Re: Wanda in Dr. Strange 2:

Spoiler:

Yeah, I had to do a lot of reminding myself that the Necronomicon-- I mean Darkhold-- was basically mind-controlling her to reconcile her character in this movie with that of the end of Wandavision. Which is in itself kinda not great, as it basically hits the reset button on her entire arc in that show.

IMO she was not being mind controlled, it just "blurred the edges". She definitely wanted the goal of getting her kids.

Saw Dr. Strange last night....it was certainly a movie. Yup actors, actions, locations. Definitely a movie. Not a good movie, not really an enjoyable movie but a movie....

It this going to be the "jump the shark" moment for the Marvel Cinematic Universe? The point where the introduce so much timey, wimmey, gobbley gook that is becomes incomprehensible to anyone but the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

On another note I am very annoyed/put off by the constant use of "infinite universes." If they are infinite the nothing they do it one universe matters - except in that universe! So Wanda can't "remove the Dark Hold from all universes" because the definition of infinite! In fact there would be just as many universes where she didn't destroy it as ones where she did - an infinite number of each.

For me (I am sure others might feel differently) it actually diminishes the "cinematic universe" because nothing matters. Everything can be undone by simply popping off to a universe where the action (good, bad, whatever) didn't happen and getting the person/item from there.

Gamora isn't dead - we just need to pop over to universe 22203 and pick her up. She won't even mind because in that universe she was going to die on Thursday we we pick her up on Wednesday and bring her back to 616 or 857 (whatever the number was they tossed around in the movie) She will be happy to be saved! Yay!

Her sacrifice meant nothing and neither does anything else!

That is what they have done to the cinematic universe for me and I am irked they did it.

farley3k wrote:

Saw Dr. Strange last night....it was certainly a movie. Yup actors, actions, locations. Definitely a movie. Not a good movie, not really an enjoyable movie but a movie....

It this going to be the "jump the shark" moment for the Marvel Cinematic Universe? The point where the introduce so much timey, wimmey, gobbley gook that is becomes incomprehensible to anyone but the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

On another note I am very annoyed/put off by the constant use of "infinite universes." If they are infinite the nothing they do it one universe matters - except in that universe! So Wanda can't "remove the Dark Hold from all universes" because the definition of infinite! In fact there would be just as many universes where she didn't destroy it as ones where she did - an infinite number of each.

For me (I am sure others might feel differently) it actually diminishes the "cinematic universe" because nothing matters. Everything can be undone by simply popping off to a universe where the action (good, bad, whatever) didn't happen and getting the person/item from there.

Gamora isn't dead - we just need to pop over to universe 22203 and pick her up. She won't even mind because in that universe she was going to die on Thursday we we pick her up on Wednesday and bring her back to 616 or 857 (whatever the number was they tossed around in the movie) She will be happy to be saved! Yay!

Her sacrifice meant nothing and neither does anything else!

That is what they have done to the cinematic universe for me and I am irked they did it.

I agree it was a bit of a mess, but I'm not sure everything else follows.

As long as it is clear that replacement character is not OG character and has different motivations or whatever, there can be some decent stories there. I am curious to see what they do with New Gamora since she hasn't been scene yet (not in the Thor4 trailer).

As for the multi-verse, time travel comic crazy stuff, again a good story makes it work. I don't think DrS2 had that, but I think End Game did overall.

how dare they put comic book tropes in your comic book movies!

ranalin wrote:

how dare they put comic book tropes in your comic book movies!

I guess if I were to agree that all the movies have tropes I would argue the difference it between playing music at a 3 and playing it at a 10 in volume. Sure both are playing music but one is pushing it much farther.

Some Marvel movies are Snickers bars. It's candy, it's not good for you and you shouldn't eat it every day, but there's peanuts in there, there's a tiny bit of nutrition, at the very least it will make you feel full for a little bit.

MoM is cotton candy. Not even the appearance of substance, and if you go in looking for a meal, you're going to go out disappointed and probably a little queasy. There's enjoyment to be had, but only with carefully managed expectations.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/oxnGB3E.jpeg)

I really didn't like Dr. Strange 2.

I really liked it. It was definitely an off the wall Sam Raimi movie which was what I was hoping for.

Looks good for a trailer.

I always wanted Dani Fernandez for the role, but Tatiana seems to be doing great! Love Mark in everything, too.

Looks light and fun which is a nice change after Moonknight

Why Tatiana Maslany didn't get all the roles after her phenomenal work in Orphan Black is beyond me. Nice to see her get some of that Marvel money.

Grenn wrote:

Why Tatiana Maslany didn't get all the roles after her phenomenal work in Orphan Black is beyond me. Nice to see her get some of that Marvel money.

Quoting because a like isn't enough. She can play any role and proved it.

I'm just wondering what they're going to do with Punisher.

MannishBoy wrote:

I'm just wondering what they're going to do with Punisher.

They are going to (spoiler due to a P&C joke)

Spoiler:

Have him face off vs a corrupt banana republic governor named Don the Pantis