Marvel Media (This is the spoiler thread, Q-Stone - You're welcome)

Mantid wrote:
kazooka wrote:

I don't think anyone at Marvel knew he had cancer. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't have cast him. I don't think he had any choice but to hide it. He wouldn't have gotten work otherwise.

He first appeared in Captain America: Civil War, which came out four years ago. So when they first cast him he likely didn’t have cancer.

Right. And if you're stage 1 before it's spread, you can still be pretty healthy. So he might very well have had a round of chemo between movies, yet still been feeling perfectly fine for quite some time after Endgame. Then the discovery that it's metastasized and the likely aggressive treatment that followed.

I was in my best shape in years a couple of years after my colon resection because I worked out hard to recover from the surgery, and I wasn't with the professional trainers and dieticians that he probably had. He probably thought he'd kicked it for good.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/wP4s4SE.jpeg)

I said the same thing to my wife.

I always assumed that was the plan anyway. Shuri was pretty obviously being set up as the Emergency Backup Panther. The only question now is do they awkwardly Carrie Fisher him into the next movie long enough to pass the torch, or awkwardly try to write around his absence somehow?

If I were Marvel, I'd be real tempted to see how I could bring Michael Jordan/Killmonger back and shoehorn him into that suit in some sort of horrible political compromise in Wakanda, with Shuri wearing the other suit. I had sort of assumed they were going to bring him back anyways in a Thor/Loki situation.

Wasn't Shuri supposed to be the new Iron man?

In the comics, that's Riri Williams aka Iron Heart. Great comic that's very much worth a read.

In the movies, that's basically Spider-Man.

Or also this kid...

IMAGE(https://pyxis.nymag.com/v1/imgs/714/628/bbbaa8029985e48ece933b384a577430c1-25-avengers-harley-keener-iron-man-3.rhorizontal.w700.jpg)

IMAGE(https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.giantfreakinrobot.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F05%2Fharley.jpg&f=1&nofb=1)

Well, the kid only showed up in Iron Man 3 and "nobody" remembers him.
Spider-Man is Spider-Man.

Shuri is a tech wiz and seems like a good fit. I thought I read/heard that this was the plan somewhere.

hbi2k wrote:

I always assumed that was the plan anyway. Shuri was pretty obviously being set up as the Emergency Backup Panther. The only question now is do they awkwardly Carrie Fisher him into the next movie long enough to pass the torch, or awkwardly try to write around his absence somehow?

I just watched Black Panther again last night. While fleeing Killmonger, Ramonda, the queen mother, wanted Nakia (T'Challa's girlfriend, played by Lupita Nyong'o) to take the last heart-shaped herb and become BP. I thought that was foreshadowing, even though Shuri was right there and had the bloodline claim. I like Shuri as an Iron Man-like tech wizard more than a melee type.

JLS wrote:
hbi2k wrote:

I always assumed that was the plan anyway. Shuri was pretty obviously being set up as the Emergency Backup Panther. The only question now is do they awkwardly Carrie Fisher him into the next movie long enough to pass the torch, or awkwardly try to write around his absence somehow?

I just watched Black Panther again last night. While fleeing Killmonger, Ramonda, the queen mother, wanted Nakia (T'Challa's girlfriend, played by Lupita Nyong'o) to take the last heart-shaped herb and become BP. I thought that was foreshadowing, even though Shuri was right there and had the bloodline claim. I like Shuri as an Iron Man-like tech wizard more than a melee type.

Especially since all she does is put on her pew pew gloves and like no armor.
If they do make Shuri the new BP, they'll finally have to give her a flaw to handle in the movie. I'm curious if they go the hubris route (more or less Tony), the heavy lays the crown route (T'Challa), or something new.

I know it probably make zero sense, but I wouldn't mind if they let Michael B. Jordan take on the role.

Grenn wrote:

I know it probably make zero sense, but I wouldn't mind if they let Michael B. Jordan take on the role.

It's comics. Sense doesn't matter.

I think either Nakia, Okoye, or M‘Baku should take up the mantle.

Lupita Nyong'o Black Panther would make me a happy camper. I wonder if she really wants to do that to her career, though.

you mean join the other multi-billion Disney-owned franchise?

would she have to give random medals to Chewbacca on this one as well?

Well, the nice thing about her Star Wars role was that it wasn't her face, and she wasn't pinned to the role forever. Black Panther would presumably entail a multi-picture deal plus Avengers films, her face all over everything, merch and a lot of promotional BS. Time she could be using to act in a variety of awesome things.

Of course this is all utter selfishness on my part. I want to see her in a wide variety of roles like Queen of Katwe, Us, hell, even Little Monsters.

...have you all forgotten Lupita Nyong'o is in Black Panther?

BadKen wrote:

Well, the nice thing about her Star Wars role was that it wasn't her face, and she wasn't pinned to the role forever. Black Panther would presumably entail a multi-picture deal plus Avengers films, her face all over everything, merch and a lot of promotional BS. Time she could be using to act in a variety of awesome things.

Of course this is all utter selfishness on my part. I want to see her in a wide variety of roles like Queen of Katwe, Us, hell, even Little Monsters.

It's very likely that she already signed a multi-film deal when she took the role initially. Marvel learned from their earlier experiences with Edward Norton and Terrence Howard, and they now typically sign people on for multiple films as a matter of course. I seem to remember Sebastian Stan saying that he'd been signed on for a nine film deal when he signed on for Captain America: The First Avenger.

The only exception to this are villain roles. With the exception of Thanos and Loki, most villains seem to be cast as one-offs. I suspect that's how they've been able to get actors like Kurt Russell and Cate Blanchett to sign on.

As to the larger point, acting in Marvel films doesn't seem to have hindered anyone's career, Edward Norton's angst about playing the Hulk notwithstanding. It doesn't seem to have prevented Chris Evans from appearing in Snowpiercer or Before We Go or Gifted; Chadwick Boseman from being in 21 Bridges or Da 5 Bloods; Scarlett Johansson from being in 13 other films while playing Black Widow; Anthony Mackie from appearing in a dozen films and a television series; etc., etc.

If anything, taking a role in Marvel movies has helped people get more roles and have more exposure. It's not a type-casting kiss of death.

beanman101283 wrote:

...have you all forgotten Lupita Nyong'o is in Black Panther?

That's what started this conversation in the first place?

ClockworkHouse wrote:

If anything, taking a role in Marvel movies has helped people get more roles and have more exposure. It's not a type-casting kiss of death.

True enough. I'm more concerned about the time sink. Someone spending all their time making Marvel movies isn't making other movies. I think maybe some of those actors you mentioned had themselves cloned.

BadKen wrote:
beanman101283 wrote:

...have you all forgotten Lupita Nyong'o is in Black Panther?

That's what started this conversation in the first place?

Sorry, haven't had my coffee yet today! Missed the start of the convo.

beanman101283 wrote:
BadKen wrote:
beanman101283 wrote:

...have you all forgotten Lupita Nyong'o is in Black Panther?

That's what started this conversation in the first place?

Sorry, haven't had my coffee yet today! Missed the start of the convo. :(

Get thee caffeinated bean person! You are not living up to your handle!

ClockworkHouse wrote:

As to the larger point, acting in Marvel films doesn't seem to have hindered anyone's career, Edward Norton's angst about playing the Hulk notwithstanding. It doesn't seem to have prevented Chris Evans from appearing in Snowpiercer or Before We Go or Gifted; Chadwick Boseman from being in 21 Bridges or Da 5 Bloods; Scarlett Johansson from being in 13 other films while playing Black Widow; Anthony Mackie from appearing in a dozen films and a television series; etc., etc.

If anything, taking a role in Marvel movies has helped people get more roles and have more exposure. It's not a type-casting kiss of death.

I notice Brie Larson isn't on your list. I'm a bit concerned Nyong'o taking Boseman's role would tweak the incel/GG/misogynist crowd.

Grenn wrote:

I know it probably make zero sense, but I wouldn't mind if they let Michael B. Jordan take on the role.

Anything can happen in the multiverse.

JLS wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

As to the larger point, acting in Marvel films doesn't seem to have hindered anyone's career, Edward Norton's angst about playing the Hulk notwithstanding. It doesn't seem to have prevented Chris Evans from appearing in Snowpiercer or Before We Go or Gifted; Chadwick Boseman from being in 21 Bridges or Da 5 Bloods; Scarlett Johansson from being in 13 other films while playing Black Widow; Anthony Mackie from appearing in a dozen films and a television series; etc., etc.

If anything, taking a role in Marvel movies has helped people get more roles and have more exposure. It's not a type-casting kiss of death.

I notice Brie Larson isn't on your list. I'm a bit concerned Nyong'o taking Boseman's role would tweak the incel/GG/misogynist crowd.

Do it. Do it now! C'mon!

f*ck those losers.

We took the kids to the zoo yesterday and I got positive comments on my Captain Marvel mask. Regular people really like her and that movie.

f*ck the haters.

I would Day One a Black Panther movie starring a female lead.

JLS wrote:

I notice Brie Larson isn't on your list. I'm a bit concerned Nyong'o taking Boseman's role would tweak the incel/GG/misogynist crowd.

Confession: Brie Larson isn't on my list because I was just scrolling down the credits for Captain America: Civil War.

Since Captain Marvel released in March of 2019, Larson has appeared in Avengers: Endgame (2019) and Just Mercy (2019). She's set to produce and star in upcoming films for Amazon and Netflix and to act in a dramatic TV series for Apple+.

Edit: Sweet mother of God. Captain Marvel came out in March of last year; Endgame in April of last year. They feel like they came out forever ago.

JLS wrote:

I notice Brie Larson isn't on your list. I'm a bit concerned Nyong'o taking Boseman's role would tweak the incel/GG/misogynist crowd.

They all get summoned back to the underworld on November 2nd.
right guys?

To veer a bit, The New Mutants is out, and, I am shocked--nay, SHOCKED--to report that it appears it is not, in fact, any good.

Not even WolfMaisie?