Random Tech Questions you want answered.

Game on central coast scrub

Robear wrote:

We deep clean our Logitech trackballs every few months and that helps immensely. The ball pops out, you can clean the tiny support balls in place, and clean the sensor window with alcohol and a q-tip. They last for years and years.

It's not the ball that wears out. It's the left mouse button. I've tried cleaning them with contact cleaner and it helps for a day or two and then they just go back to wonky double-clicking/not clicking/wonky craziness. Everything else continues working just fine.

Robear wrote:

We deep clean our Logitech trackballs every few months and that helps immensely. The ball pops out, you can clean the tiny support balls in place, and clean the sensor window with alcohol and a q-tip. They last for years and years.

It's not the ball that wears out. It's the left mouse button. I've tried cleaning them with contact cleaner and it helps for a day or two and then they just go back to wonky double-clicking/not clicking/wonky craziness. Everything else continues working just fine.

misplacedbravado wrote:

If you had $150 on Amazon and wanted to use it to improve your PC gaming experience, what would you get?

I'm having a surprisingly difficult time deciding how to spend some Christmas money. In a perfect world I'd put it toward a new GPU, but that's not happening right now.

One thing I have but never thought I needed was a giant mouse pad.
Another thing would definitely be cable management stuff.

Yeah, I'm not gonna solder in a new clicker so I keep a spare around. That way my son has one to use while I order the next spare in line.

misplacedbravado wrote:

If you had $150 on Amazon and wanted to use it to improve your PC gaming experience, what would you get?

Do you want to get weird with it?

Let's get weird with it.

Lemo 1640835 PC USB Foot Control Keyboard Action Switch Pedal

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/thZbfOg.jpg)

EvilHomer3k wrote:

One thing I have but never thought I needed was a giant mouse pad.
Another thing would definitely be cable management stuff.

Big +1 to both of these.

I love the Glorious mouse mats. I use the 3XL Extended on my main PC and the XXL Extended on my secondary system.

I also cannot strongly enough recommend the StarTech server rack cable raceways. Every other raceway I've used has been too small and expects me to only have a couple of cables. I cut them to fit and then screw them into the underside of my desks.

Y'all need the Secret Lab Magnus table in your life... The whole magnetic tabletop is a mouse pad surface, and you can add magnet cable runs to the legs in addition to the back of table hidden run. Which can itself be lit by LED strips, woot!.

IMAGE(https://blog.secretlab.co/stories/domidul/uploads/2021/04/SUB-1.png)

Oh wow, that looks neat.

$500 though, before you start with any add-ons. That's a chunk of change.

It's a big, heavy table, with enough room for two systems - work and play - and an iPad in between. The magnetic accessories are cool. But mostly it's just a strong metal table with good bones and cable management.

Their chairs are an absolute delight, too. Rock solid and extremely comfortable for long session use.

ccoates wrote:

Depending how you define improving, that'd take a sizable chunk out of a decent set of speakers or headphones!

Now that you mention it, the HyperX headset I've been using for the last while isn't as comfortable as the Steelseries one I'd worn out before it. So I just ordered a Steelseries Arctis 7+.

And thanks to all the other replies, I have more than $150 in my "Hmm, maybe..." list. Robear deserves special mention for that Secretlab table.

If you like the table, check out their chairs... We have two and they are amazing for your back.

EvilHomer3k wrote:
Robear wrote:

We deep clean our Logitech trackballs every few months and that helps immensely. The ball pops out, you can clean the tiny support balls in place, and clean the sensor window with alcohol and a q-tip. They last for years and years.

It's not the ball that wears out. It's the left mouse button. I've tried cleaning them with contact cleaner and it helps for a day or two and then they just go back to wonky double-clicking/not clicking/wonky craziness. Everything else continues working just fine.

Yes, buy the MX Ergo instead of the M570. The 570 switches are crap and have that problem. Maybe they fixed it in the 575, I don't know. But the Ergo switches are good and the mouse is nicer anyway. More expensive though.

EvilHomer3k wrote:

It's not the ball that wears out. It's the left mouse button. I've tried cleaning them with contact cleaner and it helps for a day or two and then they just go back to wonky double-clicking/not clicking/wonky craziness. Everything else continues working just fine.

I have had this happen with 2 logitech mice. I'm waiting for my G502 SE to fail the same way.

-BEP

bepnewt wrote:

I have had this happen with 2 logitech mice. I'm waiting for my G502 SE to fail the same way.

-BEP

I had this happen with a G900. It made me start looking at alternatives to Logitech, but I've found the alternatives disappointing in other ways. I almost pulled the trigger on a Razer Viper Ultimate, but then I actually put hands on it and was dismayed at how much wiggle and jiggle the buttons had, which made my current G Pro mouse (and the G305 for that matter) feel solidly built by comparison.

I may eventually drift away from Logitech mice if I find something that meets the "as good as Logitech wireless mice, but less prone to click trouble" watermark, but nothing so far.

Also, Logitech apparently switched away from the problematic switches a year ago, at least in the newer G Pro mice. So if my G Pro develops problems, I will probably be stupid and trust Logitech again and try their newest G Pro. Can't help it, it's SO damn good.

LeapingGnome wrote:
misplacedbravado wrote:

If you had $150 on Amazon and wanted to use it to improve your PC gaming experience, what would you get?

I'm having a surprisingly difficult time deciding how to spend some Christmas money. In a perfect world I'd put it toward a new GPU, but that's not happening right now.

If not speakers / headphones, what about a foot rest?

If headphones are in order, why not a really good pair, like a PC38X?

never mind, figured it out. razer has this brightness setting that changes bases on your application. had to download a totally different tool to be able to turn it off. i don't really know why i keep buying these laptops..... it must be that damn RGB seducing me every time.

Spoiler:

i seem to be having problems with adaptive brightness on my computer. i don't have an option for it in my settings, yet it seems that my computer constantly changes brightness from where i can't see anything to hurting my eyes from being so bright.

i tried following this but it didn't help:
https://www.minitool.com/news/fix-wi...

i own a razerblade steath 8550u

thanks!

LeapingGnome wrote:
EvilHomer3k wrote:
Robear wrote:

We deep clean our Logitech trackballs every few months and that helps immensely. The ball pops out, you can clean the tiny support balls in place, and clean the sensor window with alcohol and a q-tip. They last for years and years.

It's not the ball that wears out. It's the left mouse button. I've tried cleaning them with contact cleaner and it helps for a day or two and then they just go back to wonky double-clicking/not clicking/wonky craziness. Everything else continues working just fine.

Yes, buy the MX Ergo instead of the M570. The 570 switches are crap and have that problem. Maybe they fixed it in the 575, I don't know. But the Ergo switches are good and the mouse is nicer anyway. More expensive though.

I bought a M570 as my first trackball test run (for work, no gaming) and hated it the moment I touched it due to build quality. Wife uses it now.

I use the Kensington Expert Mouse Wireless Trackball and it's awesome. Again, never used for gaming, just work.

Yep those are great too. Just depends if you want a finger ball or a thumb ball.

Or you can have the true gamer's trackball, the old MadCatz Panther XL:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Nz70kcD.gif)

garion333 wrote:
LeapingGnome wrote:
EvilHomer3k wrote:
Robear wrote:

We deep clean our Logitech trackballs every few months and that helps immensely. The ball pops out, you can clean the tiny support balls in place, and clean the sensor window with alcohol and a q-tip. They last for years and years.

It's not the ball that wears out. It's the left mouse button. I've tried cleaning them with contact cleaner and it helps for a day or two and then they just go back to wonky double-clicking/not clicking/wonky craziness. Everything else continues working just fine.

Yes, buy the MX Ergo instead of the M570. The 570 switches are crap and have that problem. Maybe they fixed it in the 575, I don't know. But the Ergo switches are good and the mouse is nicer anyway. More expensive though.

I bought a M570 as my first trackball test run (for work, no gaming) and hated it the moment I touched it due to build quality. Wife uses it now.

I use the Kensington Expert Mouse Wireless Trackball and it's awesome. Again, never used for gaming, just work.

I use a Razer Death Adder Lefty for gaming. I used to use a Logitech MX 610 Lefty until the left mouse button on those went (yeah, I had two and both had LMB issues). I loved that mouse but they stopped making it. I love the DeathAdder and haven't had any issues with it.
I use a trackball on the right. I currently have an Elecom which is fine but it's a finger trackball. Ugh. I don't like finger trackballs. I have a Sanwa at work that's been pretty good. At home right now I'm using a Logitech M310 that I use as a travel mouse. Guess what. Last few weeks, LMB is going out. So that's now 5 logitech products where the LMB has gone out. Some have lasted years with serious abuse (MX610) some have not. I'm probably going to get a new Sanwa (based partially on their quality arcade sticks/buttons).

I'm at a new job and my developer PC is a Macbook. I'm fine using vi / nano, but I also need a non-terminal text editor that does the magic things like NotePad++ does.

I need reco's on a GUI Mac text editor that...
- Has syntax highlighting for various file types
- Has nice commands/macros for doing things like formatting json and xml

I'm leaning towards VSCode because I've used it before for Angular development on PC. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

-BEP

Most people on mac I know use sublime text.

bepnewt wrote:

I'm at a new job and my developer PC is a Macbook. I'm fine using vi / nano, but I also need a non-terminal text editor that does the magic things like NotePad++ does.

I need reco's on a GUI Mac text editor that...
- Has syntax highlighting for various file types
- Has nice commands/macros for doing things like formatting json and xml

I'm leaning towards VSCode because I've used it before for Angular development on PC. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

-BEP

BBEdit or TextWrangler (which is now a free tier of BBEdit) was always my goto for simple stuff. Used to also use Coda by Panic for web design/coding but it has been retired and they have a new product called Nova replacing it. Never used Nova but Coda was great.

bepnewt wrote:

I'm at a new job and my developer PC is a Macbook. I'm fine using vi / nano, but I also need a non-terminal text editor that does the magic things like NotePad++ does.

I need reco's on a GUI Mac text editor that...
- Has syntax highlighting for various file types
- Has nice commands/macros for doing things like formatting json and xml

I'm leaning towards VSCode because I've used it before for Angular development on PC. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

-BEP

As a fellow Mac-using developer, I'd recommend either VS Code or Sublime Text. Both of them are easily scriptable and have a robust ecosystem of plugins.

Personally I prefer Sublime; it feels a bit more polished and responsive to me. The big advantage of Sublime from my point of view (this may or may not be an issue for you) is that it's much better than VS Code (or any other editor I've ever tried) at handling very large files - I routinely edit multi-gigabyte files with it, while VSC starts to choke in the tens of megabytes.

Sublime isn't free, but it has a free trial with no functional restrictions, and the makers have never made any objection to people using the free trial indefinitely. I thought it was worth paying for.

bepnewt wrote:

I need reco's on a GUI Mac text editor that...
- Has syntax highlighting for various file types
- Has nice commands/macros for doing things like formatting json and xml

I'm leaning towards VSCode because I've used it before for Angular development on PC. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

iTerm + tmux + neovim

All my junior devs use VSCode, though.

One reason why a lot of junior devs use VSCode is that it's really really good!

Or they're too young to fully consider what it'd be like for MS to again dominate software tooling mind share and market share, but this time with a cloud platform and extensions marketplace to push instead of a desktop O.S.

Appreciate the ideas.

-BEP

I use Atom because it's free.

Is anyone else using Chrome OS/on a Pixelbook? m97 seems to have royally screwed me.

Android apps are barely usable. They crash constantly. Anything that requires file permissions is now totally borked, they all seem to have been revoked. Even relaunching the apps and attempting an action that requires file permissions, then granting them, doesn't seem to work.

Download speeds within Android apps are also now borderline useless. It's like having dial-up again.

There's a way to revert versions, but it requires a Powerwash, so I'm loathe to do it, but seriously considering it. Normally I'd muddle along to the next update, but it's genuinely almost unusable for me now, since I use the Linux and Android functions a lot.

Not seeing anything that matches what I'm describing on the Chrome OS bugs page or other forums. Maybe I'm just lucky?