NFL 2014: Week 4

New England is a mess. About time.

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders have fired coach Dennis Allen, the team announced Monday night.

Well that's a surprise.

garion333 wrote:

Well that's a surprise.

. . . you have heard of the Oakland Raiders before, right?

http://deadspin.com/chiefs-safety-hu...

So it's ok for Tebow but a Muslim draws a flag? The NFL just keeps getting things wrong.

jowner wrote:
OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders have fired coach Dennis Allen, the team announced Monday night.

I thought this was fake. An AP reporter tweeted this out yesterday at some point and got hammered for doing so, then walked it waaaaay back.

Weird.

But, you know, Raiders.

Anyone remember when they were good? I do, but it's getting harder to hang on to those memories.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Well that's a surprise.

. . . you have heard of the Oakland Raiders before, right?

I had hoped it was painfully obvious sarcasm.

Personally, I feel bad Dennis Allen. What a horrible situation to come into. Reggie McKenzie and Al Davis have as much of the blame, if not more, as Allen. PFT agrees. They haven't hit on their top draft picks in quite a while (though not having 1st rounders for a couple years always hurts).

Holy crap, some ugly pick em stats I am calculating today.

Three 0-5s. Eight 1-4s. No one went 5-0.

Only 3 people went 4-1. Leroy missed on Atlanta, mudbunny missed on New England, and boogle missed on Buffalo. Well done to those three, in a very ugly week of 41 picks.

I'm strangely optimistic about the Raiders in the long run.

Mainly because Al Davis is already dead. Jerry Jones on the other hand.... Then again maybe Mark Davis is James Dolan 2.0.

Its the NFL parity league. Going forward if they can get back to keeping their #1 picks and actually getting NFL level players out of those picks they will creep back into at least mediocrity by definition.

Also not sure about such a negative take by PFT on Dennis Allen. It might actually be a positive career move for the guy to actually get the hell out of there just 4 weeks into the season.

Why do I ever believe in Buffalo?
Even worse, it makes me more like Chris Berman.

TheGameguru wrote:

http://deadspin.com/chiefs-safety-hu...

So it's ok for Tebow but a Muslim draws a flag? The NFL just keeps getting things wrong.

What's dumb is that I'm sure the rule is in place to stop some lame TD dances, like the worm. But seriously, why does the NFL care? They even banned "dunking" the ball over the goal posts.

But at this point, no in KC cares. That was some old school rocking at Arrowhead last night. I really wish I had driven up for the game. I don't know how good KC will be, but when things start off well, Arrowhead really suffocates opponents. And they don't need a stadium designed to amplify the sound to do it. Ive seen that stadium crush better teams.

But the next two games are on the road. Well see how good they are next week at SF.

Jayhawker wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

http://deadspin.com/chiefs-safety-hu...

So it's ok for Tebow but a Muslim draws a flag? The NFL just keeps getting things wrong.

What's dumb is that I'm sure the rule is in place to stop some lame TD dances, like the worm. But seriously, why does the NFL care? They even banned "dunking" the ball over the goal posts.

But at this point, no in KC cares. That was some old school rocking at Arrowhead last night. I really wish I had driven up for the game. I don't know how good KC will be, but when things start off well, Arrowhead really suffocates opponents. And they don't need a stadium designed to amplify the sound to do it. Ive seen that stadium crush better teams.

But the next two games are on the road. Well see how good they are next week at SF.

Jayhawker wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

http://deadspin.com/chiefs-safety-hu...

So it's ok for Tebow but a Muslim draws a flag? The NFL just keeps getting things wrong.

What's dumb is that I'm sure the rule is in place to stop some lame TD dances, like the worm. But seriously, why does the NFL care? They even banned "dunking" the ball over the goal posts.

But at this point, no in KC cares. That was some old school rocking at Arrowhead last night. I really wish I had driven up for the game. I don't know how good KC will be, but when things start off well, Arrowhead really suffocates opponents. And they don't need a stadium designed to amplify the sound to do it. Ive seen that stadium crush better teams.

But the next two games are on the road. Well see how good they are next week at Santa Clara.

Just had to clarify that point.

As for the NFL they just have their priorities all backwards and confused. They already backtracked that it was not an penalty and a mistake. But your right why even care? They are trying to get stuff like this that is entertainment out of the game for whatever reasons while they completely got blindsided by all their other issues this off season.

jowner wrote:

I'm strangely optimistic about the Raiders in the long run.

Mainly because Al Davis is already dead. Jerry Jones on the other hand.... Then again maybe Mark Davis is James Dolan 2.0.

Its the NFL parity league. Going forward if they can get back to keeping their #1 picks and actually getting NFL level players out of those picks they will creep back into at least mediocrity by definition.

Also not sure about such a negative take by PFT on Dennis Allen. It might actually be a positive career move for the guy to actually get the hell out of there just 4 weeks into the season.

Everything I have heard from Mark Davis makes me think he's just a younger, creepier version of Al Davis. The Raiders job is basically a guillotine block waiting to happen. At this point, they're going to be begging hobos in cardboard boxes to take that job.

Jayhawker wrote:

But the next two games are on the road. Well see how good they are next week at SF.

Knowing Legion that will be one of the picks. Guess I'll go ahead and put me down for SF and you for KC.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
jowner wrote:

I'm strangely optimistic about the Raiders in the long run.

Mainly because Al Davis is already dead. Jerry Jones on the other hand.... Then again maybe Mark Davis is James Dolan 2.0.

Its the NFL parity league. Going forward if they can get back to keeping their #1 picks and actually getting NFL level players out of those picks they will creep back into at least mediocrity by definition.

Also not sure about such a negative take by PFT on Dennis Allen. It might actually be a positive career move for the guy to actually get the hell out of there just 4 weeks into the season.

Everything I have heard from Mark Davis makes me think he's just a younger, creepier version of Al Davis. The Raiders job is basically a guillotine block waiting to happen. At this point, they're going to be begging hobos in cardboard boxes to take that job.

Or... anyone who wants to be a millionaire. I'll take the job tomorrow.

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nfl-head-coach-contracts-salaries/

I'd probably last 20 hours. Pro rated though it would probably worth my time.

Stele wrote:

Holy crap, some ugly pick em stats I am calculating today.

Three 0-5s. Eight 1-4s. No one went 5-0.

Only 3 people went 4-1. Leroy missed on Atlanta, mudbunny missed on New England, and boogle missed on Buffalo. Well done to those three, in a very ugly week of 41 picks.

I forgot what my picks were, but I'm sure it wasn't pretty.

Hey, at least I go the Bonus "which rookie QB will win his first game first" question right!

Oakland is a blank slate. In 2015, they will have $56 million in free cap space, and no dead money.

Better yet, they can basically cut every free agent they signed this offseason without creating any dead money, and raise that total to about $90 million.

The Raiders in 2015 will be a completely different roster. Could be a great opportunity for a coach that can quickly create a culture that will attract worthwhile free agents to use all that money on.

I hope they actually pull off what they will want to do, which is to get Jon Gruden to come back. He would be a guy that would instantly change the perception of the Raiders and make free agents actually want to go there. And it would get him out of the f*cking announcer booth. And I would love to see Derek Carr get that kind of coaching-up, because he's actually smart enough to wrap his head around what Gruden will demand of him. Win-win-win.

Dysplastic wrote:

Hey, at least I go the Bonus "which rookie QB will win his first game first" question right!

I'm giving the game to Ponder. Winners must finish!

*Legion* wrote:
Dysplastic wrote:

Hey, at least I go the Bonus "which rookie QB will win his first game first" question right!

I'm giving the game to Ponder. Winners must finish!

Spoken like a Bortles Believer (tm).

I have enough reservations about Mark Davis as an owner to wonder whether or not Oakland is really a blank slate next year; that team has been eternally mismanaged for years, and nothing the younger Davis has done makes me think he's radically different than his father. If I'm Jon Gruden and I want back into coaching, why would I go there? The stench of failure on that team is massive, and Gruden is a high-profile enough name where he can go somewhere with the realistic possibility of not sucking, as opposed to going to Oakland, a franchise where there are a dozen years of utter failure. Gruden came into Tampa when it was already good and put that team over the top. I don't know why he'd go off to a really awful franchise rather than a team that currently has lots of promise and simply polishing it a bit.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

I have enough reservations about Mark Davis as an owner to wonder whether or not Oakland is really a blank slate next year; that team has been eternally mismanaged for years, and nothing the younger Davis has done makes me think he's radically different than his father.

Choice of haircuts?

DSGamer wrote:
*Legion* wrote:
Dysplastic wrote:

Hey, at least I go the Bonus "which rookie QB will win his first game first" question right!

I'm giving the game to Ponder. Winners must finish!

Spoken like a Bortles Believer (tm).

It's my deck and I'm gonna stack it!

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

If I'm Jon Gruden and I want back into coaching, why would I go there?

Absolute control. It would be a requirement before I even get on the plane to go meet about the job.

I'm not sure I agree with the criticism of Mark Davis. He handed over the operations to Reggie McKenzie, has not, as far as I can tell, gotten in McKenzie's way at all. The team stopped trading away their draft picks. Davis kept Dennis Allen through two complete 4-12 seasons, before firing him after this 0-4 start. Keeping Dennis Allen to the point of an 8-28 record is quite patient IMO.

He also seems to be making serious progress towards getting a new stadium out of a city that has hardly made doing so a priority.

Frankly, I think his biggest failing has been in keeping McKenzie, who has done alright in the draft, but less so in free agency. McKenzie threw money at Matt Schaub and Matt Flynn, threw money at MJD, and let guys like Jared Veldheer walk. I have not seen anything to suggest Davis was the one driving those decisions. Davis was apparently ready to fire Allen after the end of last season, but reportedly kept him at McKenzie's urging. It sounds to me like Davis listens to his football people. Allen would probably still be coaching if he could have at least squeezed out a single win.

I'm not seeing where Mark Davis is the problem. While it has not worked out in the short term, the Raiders under the younger Davis have been a lot more patient, and stopped treating the draft like a toilet.

Have you seen his haircut? Clearly that's reason enough.

*Legion* wrote:

He also seems to be making serious progress towards getting a new stadium out of a city that has hardly made doing so a priority.

This outcome is essential for any long term turnaround in Oakland. The lease situation (while the A's just renewed for 10 years) gives the threat to move the team teeth. Just remains to be seen if he can repair the organization's relationship with the city, if he has any intention of doing so. Personally, I don't think he's that cunning.

Honestly though, if they move the team (again), I'm using that as my out after 40 years. (Especially, if they don't change the name). I just can't continue to abide the fan culture and perennial circus.

For all your Xs and Os fans out there, A-gap defense pressure explained in pictures (scroll down).

What are the counters to it? Quick throws outside? I'm guessing this leaves 1-on-1 coverage on the WRs (and maybe a LB on a slot receiver).

Basically quick throws to receivers. This is part of why Seattle holds so much. Because they've made the conscious decision to put more people in the box and to settle for a few holding penalties in exchange for being able to stuff the box.

Fullbacks are the answer!

Dysplastic wrote:
Stele wrote:

Holy crap, some ugly pick em stats I am calculating today.

Three 0-5s. Eight 1-4s. No one went 5-0.

Only 3 people went 4-1. Leroy missed on Atlanta, mudbunny missed on New England, and boogle missed on Buffalo. Well done to those three, in a very ugly week of 41 picks.

I forgot what my picks were, but I'm sure it wasn't pretty.

Hey, at least I go the Bonus "which rookie QB will win his first game first" question right!

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the 0-5's, but I can't remember.