Mass Effect Series Catch-All

I drove past a hole-in-the-wall local restaurant today. Their board out front was advertising "Shepard's Pie", and I of course immediately thought of Mass Effect.

Is it their favorite pie on the Citadel?

Veloxi wrote:

Is it their favorite pie on the Citadel?

Or at the Barbor Shop.

IMAGE(https://hbomax-images.warnermediacdn.com/images/GYGQJNwOcH4W2XgEAAABg/tile.jpeg?size=1280x720&format=jpeg&partner=hbocom&v=ba374db227c35b7b672481397e24e8d5&productCode=hbomax&host=artist.api.cdn.hbo.com&w=1200)

IMAGE(https://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/blog.bioware.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/SA_Intercept_SatheriumSystem_Dock314-1024x576.png)

Happy N7 Day everyone.

Doesn't seem to be much officially going on this year. They will be launching ME clothing for The Sims in about a week and they have some new stuff you can buy in the various stores. There is also a downloadable video showing an animation of the image above, which is seems to be an in progress image of an Alliance built Relay.

Started my first play through of the series about two weeks ago after picking up a used legendary disk for PlayStation.

I realize that ME 1 is an old game but did they improve the game play at all when remastering the series? It feels really clunky.

Anyway, I’m enjoying the story so far and while I don’t think I’m that far into it I was completely shocked when

Spoiler:

they up and killed Wrex, my go squad mate.

some other zach wrote:

Started my first play through of the series about two weeks ago after picking up a used legendary disk for PlayStation.

I realize that ME 1 is an old game but did they improve the game play at all when remastering the series? It feels really clunky.

Anyway, I’m enjoying the story so far and while I don’t think I’m that far into it I was completely shocked when

Spoiler:

they up and killed Wrex, my go squad mate.

They did improve it some for the remaster but it's still clunky. Just wait until you play ME2. The game play improvements are huge.

As to your spoiler

Spoiler:

It didn't have to go that way. He didn't have to die

Also

Spoiler:

The Wrex situation always came up real late in my games. ME1 definitely pushes you towards Therum first, followed by Noveria and Feros, with Virmire being last. I'm guessing that if you do Virmire early, you don't have the reputation required to defuse that situation.

billt721 wrote:

Also

Spoiler:

The Wrex situation always came up real late in my games. ME1 definitely pushes you towards Therum first, followed by Noveria and Feros, with Virmire being last. I'm guessing that if you do Virmire early, you don't have the reputation required to defuse that situation.

I think this is one of the things they adjusted for the Legendary Edition. Not fixed completely but made it so you could defuse the situation with a lower Paragon/Renegade score.

In ME1 they did upgrade the shooting mechanics a little, but you would pretty much have to play them side by side to notice other than it is no longer basically impossible to use sniper rifles with a character without that skill (kind of pointless but not impossible).

Mass Effect's original pitch shows up online.

This basically puts to rest any idea that it was a rehabilitated Star Wars project.

Players will be able to feely explore a galaxy of procedurally generated planets... Because of the Xbox 2 Live capability and the procedural galaxy exploration system, the game continues limitlessly beyond the end of the single-player story.

Really drives home how long various game developers have been chasing that holy grail: the procedurally generated forever game set in space.

NSMike wrote:

Mass Effect's original pitch shows up online.

This basically puts to rest any idea that it was a rehabilitated Star Wars project.

I wasn't aware of this theory until now, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Agathos wrote:
Players will be able to feely explore a galaxy of procedurally generated planets... Because of the Xbox 2 Live capability and the procedural galaxy exploration system, the game continues limitlessly beyond the end of the single-player story.

Really drives home how long various game developers have been chasing that holy grail: the procedurally generated forever game set in space.

From personal experience, at least since 1993.

I just assumed we all knew from day one. I watched a lot of Top Gun as a kid, though.

Edit the link for accuracy:

Please don't try to tell me that those are the only two examples of that sort of title reveal.

I dunno, this has a real "Internet Discovers Superheroes Played By Actors With Previous Roles" energy to me.

Did you know that a lot of 20th and 21st-centry fantasy borrows liberally from Tolkien?

's true.

Confession: I have never seen Top Gun.

You aren't really missing much.

Yeah, I think I've seen it twice, and it's fine in an 80's action movie sort of way. I'd rather put 2 hours into a game I'm enjoying.

Top Guns kind of boring unless you're into planes and posturing.

strangederby wrote:

Top Guns kind of boring unless you're into planes and posturing.

Even if you're into military aviation it's pretty boring as you have to sit through the contrived romance story arc, and I'll be honest, the homoerotic volleyball dude-bro scene does nothing for me. When Maverick came out I told my boss I'd much rather just go watch Youtube for 30 minutes of F-18 flights because I'd get the same level of enjoyment and save myself another 90 minutes or so of Tom Cruise stroking his ego.

FWIW I thought Maverick was a ton of fun and much better than the original Top Gun which I watched just prior.

strangederby wrote:

Top Guns kind of boring unless you're into planes and posturing.

And sweat! Buckets and buckets of sweat, drenching every frame

Eleima wrote:

Confession: I have never seen Top Gun.

Me neither. So you're not alone in this.