Mass Effect Series Catch-All

The Omega DLC seemed to have the most renegae interupts available of any chapter I've played so far.

Bruce wrote:

The Omega DLC seemed to have the most renegae interupts available of any chapter I've played so far.

Yea it is almost like they forgot that was something they could do between ME2 and 3. Either that or like the mini-games they decided they may have overused it a bit in ME2 and so they rolled it way back.

Bruce wrote:

The Omega DLC seemed to have the most renegae interupts available of any chapter I've played so far.

The Citadel DLC has a lot too. Maybe they saved it all for the extra content for... "reasons"?

I beat Mass Effect 3! I love it. Almost as much as 2. Loved it even more than when it came out. The ending is not perfect, but it’s damn good. All the haters from back when were just too salty that it’s not exactly what their hype wanted it to be.

Maybe the DLC helped a lot. I never played the extra stuff until now.

I like ME3 more than ME2.

With Tali gone unexpectedly. I let the Geth win for the first time in any playthrough.

Losing my buddy Legion hurt a bit though.

Vrikk wrote:

I beat Mass Effect 3! I love it. Almost as much as 2. Loved it even more than when it came out. The ending is not perfect, but it’s damn good. All the haters from back when were just too salty that it’s not exactly what their hype wanted it to be.

Maybe the DLC helped a lot. I never played the extra stuff until now.

I assume the patched in ending is now the ending for this release?

chooka1 wrote:
Vrikk wrote:

I beat Mass Effect 3! I love it. Almost as much as 2. Loved it even more than when it came out. The ending is not perfect, but it’s damn good. All the haters from back when were just too salty that it’s not exactly what their hype wanted it to be.

Maybe the DLC helped a lot. I never played the extra stuff until now.

I assume the patched in ending is now the ending for this release?

It is. I am sure the original ending is on youtube somewhere.

And for my money, Leviathan (and its lore dump) does more to explain exactly whats going on than the ending patch.

Leviathan's content is suggested by the lore on the planets in both 1 and 2, as well as the Codex. You will need to do most of the missions, read most of the planet entries in both games, and also read the Codex. So if you're not into that, Leviathan just lays it all out plain and simple.

Some interesting speculation that the new Mass Effect could move back to Unreal.

The article cites facial animations as the impetus, but honestly, there could be a lot more to it than that.

I have mentioned before that one of the Mass Effect 1 devs did a stream of the game that was also a developer's commentary. He pointed out that one of the most difficult parts of building Mass Effect was that they had to build RPG system tools on top of the engine in addition to building the actual game. He also pointed out that Andromeda likely suffered similarly from the move to Frostbite.

Since Unreal remained the engine for Mass Effect throughout the series, and the RPG system tools evolved throughout the development of three games, that also might be advantageous for making a new game. Frostbite's progress with those systems likely evaporated when they backed away from Andromeda after its reception.

Overall, I think this bodes well, and EA can certainly afford to pay for the engine. The choice to use Frostbite always felt like some upper-level manager saying, "Why are we paying for Unreal Engine when we have our own engine in-house? Just use that one," without understanding the true cost of moving to that engine. Not just in pleasing the fans, but in making that engine viable for the kind of game you're trying to make.

NSMike wrote:

Since Unreal remained the engine for Mass Effect throughout the series, and the RPG system tools evolved throughout the development of three games, that also might be advantageous for making a new game. Frostbite's progress with those systems likely evaporated when they backed away from Andromeda after its reception.

I may be wrong but my understanding as a hobbyist developer is that anything they built for Unreal Engine 3 would basically be useless in Unreal Engine 4 and 5. Best they could do is maybe look at them side-by-side and rebuild them for newer engine. At the end of the day starting fresh might be better due to the old systems being built around the limitations of both the older engine and the older consoles.

Soooo… I played about… 3 hours, (maybe?) of ME1 on the Xbox 360 if you can believe that, many years ago, then got distracted and never returned to it.

Now I’ve picked up ME Legendary edition for my PS4 Pro. All I know about this series is that Femshep is best Shep and it has ‘a good story’ that has many elements of the Standard Sci-fi Setting. Also maybe that there’s Big Decisions at some points in each of the games with Major Impacts.

What do I need to know, going into this series, on this hardware, that I really should know before I get into it? Anything to pay special attention to? Do early? Ignore? Any tips or suggestions?

Hit me with your best suggestions to maximise my first Mass Effect playthrough.

Edit: my brother has just recommended ‘not reading any guides about the Big Decisions’ and instead is encouraging me to ‘live with the consequences of my actions’. This sounds heavy man.

Yeah you'll have more fun that way mostly.

Maybe look up who you can romance in each game if you want to explore that part.

For ME2 I would look up point of no return. Because the way the final mission is built it can really punish you if you're not prepared.

Otherwise just have fun with it. Make your own story. There is no best way to play, aside from making sure

Spoiler:

Kaidan

dies.

First run just do what feel right. If you force yourself to get a "best" ending it can drain the fun out of it. However if there is a quest that seems heavy and you don't understand feel free to ask for help from someone that won't just do it for you.

I think most fun in ME1 is what class do you want to play as and what companions you take.

Talk to everyone.

Only skill based ones:
Always want to have charm or intimidate on you (maybe both if you want to be talker).
Good to have a decryption and electronics user on your team. Not end of the world if you don't but I find it helps me enjoyment.

Finally:
Make the RiGhT romance choice.

I withhold any ME2 thoughts until we get there.

Stele wrote:

For ME2 I would look up point of no return. Because the way the final mission is built it can really punish you if you're not prepared.

I would agree this is the only part of the trilogy that feels kind of arbitrary or unfair. Basically, the games frequently have an "open world" ("open galaxy"?) structure where you can usually take missions in any order. In Mass Effect 2, there's one mission that most people want to put off as long as possible. (Mission name in spoilers if you want to save searching and maybe getting more info than you want; although the mission name itself might be a minor spoiler.)

Spoiler:

Acquire Reaper IFF

Otherwise, yeah, just roll with the punches. No matter what you do, some bad things will happen, so just roll with it.

Oh, it is maybe worth mentioning that the style of the game changes noticeably after the first game: it is more of an RPG with focus managing gear and ammo and abilities. The latter two are more action games with a focus on shooting and/or biotic combos. Playing all three games in a row with less of a break between them can make it harder to readjust your playstyle as needed.

Go in blind and have fun. If you are going to look anything up maybe look up what planet Liara is on so you don't have to explore a bunch of star systems to find her, though it is pretty obvious when you get the right planet (it isn't completely open, it has an obvious path to follow).

I am looking forward to finding out what any/all of this means!

beeporama wrote:

In Mass Effect 2, there's one mission that most people want to put off as long as possible. (Mission name in spoilers if you want to save searching and maybe getting more info than you want; although the mission name itself might be a minor spoiler.)

Spoiler:

Acquire Reaper IFF

Otherwise, yeah, just roll with the punches. No matter what you do, some bad things will happen, so just roll with it.

I am aware of the faction named in the spoiler just through general ambient awareness of the series, so no worries. And I do like to know where there’s a Point of No Return, I find it mega annoying when I accidentally lock myself out of parts of a game because such points aren’t well signposted.

Rykin wrote:

Go in blind and have fun. If you are going to look anything up maybe look up what planet Liara is on so you don't have to explore a bunch of star systems to find her, though it is pretty obvious when you get the right planet (it isn't completely open, it has an obvious path to follow).

I have no idea who this is, but when I find out I’m supposed to look for her, I’ll consider this minor shortcut.

Happy Dave wrote:

I am looking forward to finding out what any/all of this means!

beeporama wrote:

In Mass Effect 2, there's one mission that most people want to put off as long as possible. (Mission name in spoilers if you want to save searching and maybe getting more info than you want; although the mission name itself might be a minor spoiler.)

Spoiler:

Acquire Reaper IFF

Otherwise, yeah, just roll with the punches. No matter what you do, some bad things will happen, so just roll with it.

Oh yea that is a good one. Also after that mission something dramatic happens on your ship and after it you have one planet visit or mission of leeway to start the final mission without negative effects.

Happy Dave wrote:

I am aware of the faction named in the spoiler just through general ambient awareness of the series, so no worries. And I do like to know where there’s a Point of No Return, I find it mega annoying when I accidentally lock myself out of parts of a game because such points aren’t well signposted.

Rykin wrote:

Go in blind and have fun. If you are going to look anything up maybe look up what planet Liara is on so you don't have to explore a bunch of star systems to find her, though it is pretty obvious when you get the right planet (it isn't completely open, it has an obvious path to follow).

I have no idea who this is, but when I find out I’m supposed to look for her, I’ll consider this minor shortcut.

The game narrows it down to one of four star systems for you with each system having one planet you can land on, but if you do the three wrong planets first it could cost you around half an hour of rather boring game-play per planet to rule them out.

Happy Dave wrote:

Soooo… I played about… 3 hours, (maybe?) of ME1 on the Xbox 360 if you can believe that, many years ago, then got distracted and never returned to it.

Now I’ve picked up ME Legendary edition for my PS4 Pro. All I know about this series is that Femshep is best Shep and it has ‘a good story’ that has many elements of the Standard Sci-fi Setting. Also maybe that there’s Big Decisions at some points in each of the games with Major Impacts.

What do I need to know, going into this series, on this hardware, that I really should know before I get into it? Anything to pay special attention to? Do early? Ignore? Any tips or suggestions?

Hit me with your best suggestions to maximise my first Mass Effect playthrough.

Edit: my brother has just recommended ‘not reading any guides about the Big Decisions’ and instead is encouraging me to ‘live with the consequences of my actions’. This sounds heavy man.

Read the Codex and read the planet entries. And the stuff you find planetside. All of them. It’s a lot of text, but I found I enjoyed it the most when I took my time and treated it as a turn-based text game. There’s a lot of cool Golden Age scifi lore in there.

This is not Mass Effect news, but man, it sure looks like it could be in that universe.

NSMike wrote:

This is not Mass Effect news, but man, it sure looks like it could be in that universe.

I’ve been inside that warehouse! Cover was sparse. Scifi theme. Biotic use is recommended.

I already predict the loot will be crap.

They certainly did find a shiny coat of paint to make a double-wide seem more upscale.

Rat Boy wrote:

I already predict the loot will be crap.

Hack the wall safe. Straight credits so you can afford some Normandy upgrades.

And punch the guy so he stops ranting.

strangederby wrote:

And punch the guy so he stops ranting.

Rule of Mass Effect: Always do the interrupts.

Part of me wishes they went all in on the "your choices matter" shtick to a butterfly effect like result, even though of course that would piss too many people off.

Like, during the last hours of Mass Effect 3, you watch a flashback of you punching the journalist in 1 which leads to him quitting and taking up politics where he takes bribes from a lobby group to deregulate the space gun industry and that's why Garrus has a rifle that jams on him and he dies.

I see Mass Effect is on sale this week. I played all of two and three plus the dlc. I missed one. Thoughts on how hard it is to go back and play one for the first time in 2021?

Thank you,
Chad

chooka1 wrote:

I see Mass Effect is on sale this week. I played all of two and three plus the dlc. I missed one. Thoughts on how hard it is to go back and play one for the first time in 2021?

Thank you,
Chad

I just played through ME1 again a few months back, and while the series definitely improved as time went on, it was still a lot of fun.

I will offer a counterpoint - I picked up the Legendary edition for PS4 and slogged through about four hours of ME1 before I ended up soft-locking myself into a situation where a character died with almost no warning. I replayed the same section a half dozen times trying to figure out if there was a way to avoid it, then considered starting again, then decided not to.

ME1 is really not that great a game. Drab, repetitive environments, stodgy gunplay, horrible wayfinding, lots of load screens, badly explained mechanics. It's dire. The story and setting just about redeem it, but it is very, very obviously a (clunky, annoying) product of its time. I can see why I bounced off it when I first played it on the Xbox 360 way back when.

ME2 on the other hand is great, and has held up well despite being over a decade old at this point. Plus you can make all the key choices from ME1 in a five minute interactive comic at the start of ME2.