GWJ Conference Call Episode 410

Conference Call

Join Julian Murdoch, Erik "wordsmythe" Hanson, Charlie "TheWanderer" Hall, Allen Cook and McChuck Live From Gencon 2014!

It's the live Gencon 2014 show!

To contact us, email [email protected]! Send us your thoughts on the show, pressing issues you want to talk about or whatever else is on your mind. You can even send a 30 second audio question or comment (MP3 format please) if you're so inclined.

Chairman_Mao's Timestamps

  • Subscribe with iTunes
  • Subscribe with RSS
  • Subscribe with Yahoo!
Download the official apps
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android
  • Download the GWJ Conference Call app for Android

Show credits

Sponsors: 
Music credits: 

Intro/Outtro Music - Ian Dorsch, Willowtree Audioworks

Comments

Great show!

I'd love to see a list of everyone's most/least favorites from the show. The salmon game sounds interesting.

Also, for what it's worth, I have to own up to some miniature snobbery. I'm more inclined to be interested in a game if it has figures as opposed to cardboard wafers.

I don't need fancy sculpted figures: wooden bits like in a good copy of Parcheesi work for me too. I just don't love cardboard game figures, mainly because they feel like they'll eventually fall apart and I tend to look at board games as heirloom purchases. Will my grandchildren be able to play this game as it sits in the box right now?

doubtingthomas396 wrote:

I'd love to see a list of everyone's most/least favorites from the show. The salmon game sounds interesting.

I'll try and pull together another Boardgame Geek list again!

mudbunny wrote:

I wonder if anyone managed to make it to the Dungeonscape booth to try out the new D&D digital tools?

I didn't, honestly. From what limited time I had with the Wizards folks, they were more directing attention toward 5e.

I feel the need to respond because I literally got in my car after sharing two fun games of Run, Fight or Die with my grouchy old man game group only to hear the grouchiest podcast ever crap all over the game.

I get everyone has an opinion and podcasts are meant to entertain as much as they inform, but the group that was founded on the "Don't be a dick" mantra was pushing the rude limit. I've heard Rabbit go on rants before and fail to add that so important IMO stamp. (We know u don't like art of Ascension btw...) But taking the piss out of games he admits to not giving a fair chance at their launch just isn't right.

I feel for those who have put the hard work in and made dreams become product. Slam the douches who took the money and ran like Rik Falch (Upfront, Airborne in Your Pocket). Focus on the stuff you liked instead of doing the easy slam. We listen because we like you guys. I hope my critique is taken as being constuctive and not just me being a tool. As always, these thoughts are just my opinion.

Chris Richardson.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.

I've heard Rabbit go on rants before and fail to add that so important IMO stamp.

Utterly disagree with this on a fundamental level. If we have to preface every statement with "in my opinion" as if we're not adults that are completely aware that EVERYTHING is subjective, then that's going to get real annoying real quick. We trust our audience to understand that too.

Sorry they didn't like a thing you like. It happens. I have no doubt we've been negative or dismissive of a thousand things you've gladly let slide by because you had no opinion on it or you happened to agree. It's all subjective.

It's good to hear a variety of opinions. I was glad to hear discussion of something that bugs me as well, the success of gimmicks and flash over gameplay. That said, it's still about being across the table and having a good time. Let's all have more of that.

wtfgamer wrote:

Things.

Actually, I was the one that played Run, Fight, Or Die and said it wasn't that good. I wasn't going to bring it up because, yeah, I don't feel the need to bring up a game just to say that I didn't care for it. But there was a bit of miscommunication where rabbit paused in the middle of his question, and I started to answer.

Sorry I didn't care for the game that much. Didn't feel like I crapped all over it. Could be worse, though. You could introduce everyone to a game you like then have them spend the entire con using that as their measurement for a horrible game.

Rabbit asked me toward the end of my first day, when I was getting nit-picky, to name things that I actually liked on the floor. He didn't directly call me out, but it certainly put me in a better frame of mind pretty quickly. Yeah, there were imperfections in everything I saw, and I react pretty quickly against hype, but if I wanted to focus on the negative, I could fill a couple hours of mic time all by myself.

I'm pretty sure nobody wants that, least of all me.

Whenever I sit down with a new game I decide that I'm going to like it before I start playing. I find that helps me overlook some imperfections here and there.

It's only when a game actively fights me over liking it that I'll come down on it.

Yeah sorry it's just not going to happen, and I'd love to know the entertainment podcast you listen to that says "IMO" in front of every statement. Don't recall ever reading a movie review that said "this May just be me but .." Either. Instead, they just say "I loved/hated this" and then go on to dig in.

If you know I'm a terrible proxy for things you love, we'll, that's useful to know right? For the same reason, I don't ask Sean Sands about JRPGs.

What was the name of all the $5 games you were talking about?

I love these gencon/rabbitcon podcasts but would love a list of items in the show notes. Maybe even include Amazon affiliate links for site revenue

Edit: Found them @ 14 minutes.

pROvIs wrote:

What was the name of all the $5 games you were talking about?

I love these gencon/rabbitcon podcasts but would love a list of items in the show notes. Maybe even include Amazon affiliate links for site revenue

Edit: Found them @ 14 minutes.

I'm putting together the list of GWJ's show favorites now. Should have it up within a few days. (Anyone with anything to add, PM me!)

Has anyone that played X-COM also play Space Alert? Sounds a bit similar and I wonder how they compare.

Sorry I didn't care for the game that much. Didn't feel like I crapped all over it. Could be worse, though. You could introduce everyone to a game you like then have them spend the entire con using that as their measurement for a horrible game.

Honestly, I feel like I would've loved some kind of turn-based variant of Discount Salmon. I loved the theme and the art, but man I cannot handle real-time board games.

Loved the GenCon ep guys.
I sometimes wonder if I'm the only boardgame enthusiast who simply doesn't care for mini's at all, so I appreciated the mention that maybe we need to ease off their proliferation in the Kickstarter space.
Also, for anyone interested I'm pretty sure the game Julian meant was Jungle Speed (Not Jungle Fever), very fun real time game like the card game Snap but with a few twists and turns thrown in.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8...

troubleshot wrote:

Loved the GenCon ep guys.
I sometimes wonder if I'm the only boardgame enthusiast who simply doesn't care for mini's at all, so I appreciated the mention that maybe we need to ease off their proliferation in the Kickstarter space.
Also, for anyone interested I'm pretty sure the game Julian meant was Jungle Speed (Not Jungle Fever), very fun real time game like the card game Snap but with a few twists and turns thrown in.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8...

This can't be worse than when I remembered Elk Fest as Elk Hunt.

Chump wrote:

Has anyone that played X-COM also play Space Alert? Sounds a bit similar and I wonder how they compare.

I haven't played Space Alert, but it sounds like a similar feel from the BGG description. The panicky co-op feeling did remind me a bit of Spaceteam. I think the difference is in that you're trying to make real, interesting decisions with lasting consequences in the midst of all that pressure.

wtfgamer wrote:

I feel for those who have put the hard work in and made dreams become product.

As a product producer (film, not game) I've got to say that it comes with the territory. You can make a GaFloozle that is the best GaFloozle ever, but plenty of people don't like GaFloozle's and are going to tell you in minute detail why you suck. It doesn't feel good but having or developing a thick skin is in the product producer job description. The only way to not be criticized is to never do anything.

wordsmythe wrote:
Chump wrote:

Has anyone that played X-COM also play Space Alert? Sounds a bit similar and I wonder how they compare.

I haven't played Space Alert, but it sounds like a similar feel from the BGG description. The panicky co-op feeling did remind me a bit of Spaceteam. I think the difference is in that you're trying to make real, interesting decisions with lasting consequences in the midst of all that pressure.

I was going to ask the same thing about Space Alert. Other analogous games would probably be Space Cadets Dice Duel for the captain + subordinates structure, or Escape: The Curse of the Temple which uses an audio CD to dictate pacing and events like Space Alert.

Spaceteam definitely falls into the same realm/genre as a digital game. My friends who own Escape also have a similar enjoyment for Spaceteam and that feeling of rushed tension permeates all these experiences.

shoptroll wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
Chump wrote:

Has anyone that played X-COM also play Space Alert? Sounds a bit similar and I wonder how they compare.

I haven't played Space Alert, but it sounds like a similar feel from the BGG description. The panicky co-op feeling did remind me a bit of Spaceteam. I think the difference is in that you're trying to make real, interesting decisions with lasting consequences in the midst of all that pressure.

I was going to ask the same thing about Space Alert. Other analogous games would probably be Space Cadets Dice Duel for the captain + subordinates structure, or Escape: The Curse of the Temple which uses an audio CD to dictate pacing and events like Space Alert.

Spaceteam definitely falls into the same realm/genre as a digital game. My friends who own Escape also have a similar enjoyment for Spaceteam and that feeling of rushed tension permeates all these experiences.

I'd say that it reminded me of the Artemis Bridge Sim, but there's not really that sort of command structure.

I was worried walking into it that it'd be like DragonStrike. (It wasn't.)

@jrralls I appreciate you noticing I was not just talking about a single title I liked. Good on you sir! That's what I hoped would get discussed And I agree with your conclusion.

I'm nearing 50, so I think I qualify as an "adult" listener. Regret mentioning the "IMO" thing since it became the focal point and everything (including something said about art that obviously bugged me in the past Mr. Certis, yet I let slide) else got ignored.

I listen. I like the show a lot. I got bothered by something and took time to express it.

I shall now return to the safety of lurker status.