Crusader Kings II Sparkle Pony-all

tboon wrote:

Now I am playing Wlayslaw's 3-year-old daughter. Half the realm is gone thanks to gavelkind succession but at 3 years old, the daughter has better stats than her father in about half the stat categories. :)

Having only played CKI, are there any in-game advantages to gavelkind succession? There weren't any good game-play reasons to run GK in CKI, although I guess people did it when they wanted to amp the difficulty or believed that it's what the real-life King Jurgen Hammer-Fist would have done.

pgroce wrote:
tboon wrote:

Now I am playing Wlayslaw's 3-year-old daughter. Half the realm is gone thanks to gavelkind succession but at 3 years old, the daughter has better stats than her father in about half the stat categories. :)

Having only played CKI, are there any in-game advantages to gavelkind succession? There weren't any good game-play reasons to run GK in CKI, although I guess people did it when they wanted to amp the difficulty or believed that it's what the real-life King Jurgen Hammer-Fist would have done.

You can have a larger demense without having to incur penalties. More land!!!

garion333 wrote:
pgroce wrote:
tboon wrote:

Now I am playing Wlayslaw's 3-year-old daughter. Half the realm is gone thanks to gavelkind succession but at 3 years old, the daughter has better stats than her father in about half the stat categories. :)

Having only played CKI, are there any in-game advantages to gavelkind succession? There weren't any good game-play reasons to run GK in CKI, although I guess people did it when they wanted to amp the difficulty or believed that it's what the real-life King Jurgen Hammer-Fist would have done.

You can have a larger demense without having to incur penalties. More land!!! ;)

Also, gavelkind seems to be the most predominant succession type in the game at the start by far. Need to raise crown authority (or have it raised) to get to "better" succession laws. It seems like a balance thing to prevent players from blobbing early on when land acquisition is more of a free-for-all.
Also, in addition to increased demense size, everyone but your direct heir likes you better. +10 I think.

In my Polish game, Duchess Stanslawa was waiting for Boleslaw the Bold to kick so her husband can become ruler. He had better spymasters, so assassination seemed like a bad idea (23% success rate and 60%+ chance of discovery - I'll keep my head, thanks!). So waiting seemed the only option. And waiting. And waiting. Then Boleslaw's wife (Stanislawa's mother!) died and Boleslaw found a Hungarian princess to marry. After they had their first boy (when Boleslaw was 56!), Stanslawa's husband's natural brothers began to die off under mysterious circumstances. Then Stanslawa got notified of a plot to kill her husband instigated by that Hungarian harlot. It was a tense few years until Boleslaw finally left this mortal realm (that dude put the "old" in "Bold") but the plot never came off and Stanislawa's husband is now King of Poland. At 41 years old, it probably won't be too terribly long until he dies and his heir (Stanislawa's son) inherits the throne. And with reduced Polish princes running around (thanks Hungarian harlot, I guess!) should not have too much land to get back.

Post Mortem Dev Diary at the Paradox Forums. Especially of interest:

Doomdark, CK2 Project Lead wrote:

I cannot say exactly when we will be adding what, but here are some things you can expect for free in the coming months:

Enhanced, more focused Crusades with a "contribution" score
Causes of Death
Asking to join an ongoing war
Lots of more plots and ambitions
Events, events, and more events
Improved GUI where it's needed the most (plots, marriages)
Flexible de jure liege structure
More de jure kingdoms

All of those are excellent additions to the game, but I could not resist highlighting the one I'm most excited about.

This just gets better.

tboon wrote:

Post Mortem Dev Diary at the Paradox Forums. Especially of interest:

Doomdark, CK2 Project Lead wrote:

I cannot say exactly when we will be adding what, but here are some things you can expect for free in the coming months:

Enhanced, more focused Crusades with a "contribution" score
Causes of Death
Asking to join an ongoing war
Lots of more plots and ambitions
Events, events, and more events
Improved GUI where it's needed the most (plots, marriages)
Flexible de jure liege structure
More de jure kingdoms

All of those are excellent additions to the game, but I could not resist highlighting the one I'm most excited about. :)

I don't have much of a history with Paradox games, so I don't know if this is par for the course, but I'm astonished that they'll be making these updates for free. It warms my cynical gamer heart and makes me happy (again) that I gave in and purchased the game while it was still full price. Also: Causes of Death!

ebarstad wrote:

I don't have much of a history with Paradox games, so I don't know if this is par for the course, but I'm astonished that they'll be making these updates for free. It warms my cynical gamer heart and makes me happy (again) that I gave in and purchased the game while it was still full price. Also: Causes of Death!

This is pretty typical, though somewhat more encompassing than even I expected. The addition of events was to be expected as they'll keep adding them as long as they are developing for the game.

Basically Paradox supports their games a bunch (though usually it's bug fixing at first, which is probably why these updates seem bigger than I expected) and then will add something more substantial and call it an expansion, which you'll have to pay for. (But vanilla owners will still get updates with more events and the like.)

So getting this game. I need to unite Italy once more.

Budo wrote:

So getting this game. I need to unite Italy once more.

you can start out as a count working for the pope I'm thinkinking that as long as you didn't become a king you could control a lot of duchies for the kingdom of heaven.

Has Paradox indicated when (or if) we can play as Muslim states?

Grubber788 wrote:

Has Paradox indicated when (or if) we can play as Muslim states?

Knee-jerk answer: DLC But really, I guess in the inevitable expansion. Also, I want to play Venice!

wanderingtaoist wrote:
Grubber788 wrote:

Has Paradox indicated when (or if) we can play as Muslim states?

Knee-jerk answer: DLC But really, I guess in the inevitable expansion. Also, I want to play Venice!

They stated in their 'dev post-mortem' that it was a possibility for an expansion.

Hey, question, is there cross-title.... uh... links between Paradox's games? I wonder because CKII ends just about where EUIII picks up, EUIII ends just about where Vicki II picks up, and Vicki II ends just about where HoI picks up. (Acronyms hooray!) Could one ostensibly start a game in CKII, and see it through the different titles all the way to the end of WWII?

Prederick wrote:

Hey, question, is there cross-title.... uh... links between Paradox's games? I wonder because CKII ends just about where EUIII picks up, EUIII ends just about where Vicki II picks up, and Vicki II ends just about where HoI picks up. (Acronyms hooray!) Could one ostensibly start a game in CKII, and see it through the different titles all the way to the end of WWII?

Nothing official, but there mods out there that will do that.

Pred, with the older Paradox games and mods you could play from Crusader Kings to EU3 to Vicky to HOI, Hopefully someone will do the same for CK2.

Also, I don't remember western Europe looking like this in 1230?

IMAGE(http://img24.mediafire.com/73e646e58c84267f855abb3f907f6c4cd1b5373e0ca8ee248f73230c49d8e8e86g.jpg)

England and France have been thoroughly de-blobbed.

I will say that I am a little disappointed in how much stamina the HRE has in the game. In all my games so far, and pretty much every game where I've seen maps of games, the HRE is still a huge blob. It seems *much* more resilient than France, which I have seen break apart like in that screenshot a few times. Also, the Byzantines seem pretty resilient too - they seem to *usually* hold their own and even expand a little rather than gradually shrinking.

I'm not really complaining about any of this, it just seems like there a few more tweaks to be made.

tboon wrote:

I will say that I am a little disappointed in how much stamina the HRE has in the game.

I don't know if you've seen this, but there's a fan made mod available right now which fiddles with rebellions, making them both less likely and more violent and limits the Emperor's ability to strengthen the laws which, combined, makes the HRE considerably more fragile.

HRE Mod

The mod also increases mercenary costs, but all of the parameters are pretty easy to fiddle with to your taste.

It's in the Paradox forums, so you'll need to be registered to go get it.

Perhaps they are attempting to skew toward historical accuracy. Until fairly late, the HR and Byzantine empires actually were surprisingly resilient, at least in comparison to the dynasties of France, Spain, and England.

Prederick wrote:

Hey, question, is there cross-title.... uh... links between Paradox's games? I wonder because CKII ends just about where EUIII picks up, EUIII ends just about where Vicki II picks up, and Vicki II ends just about where HoI picks up. (Acronyms hooray!) Could one ostensibly start a game in CKII, and see it through the different titles all the way to the end of WWII?

You could officially import your CK save to EU2 to Victoria1 to Hearts of Iron 2 (almost 900 years!). I don't think the current generation officially supports that span. Also, the feature is notoriously buggy.

4dSwissCheese wrote:

I won one of the No High Scores copies. Neat! And thanks, Garion, for the post up-thread reminding people to enter. While I am a regular reader of No High Scores, it had fallen out of my RSS reader due to their recent layout update and had missed the contest announcement. I shall compensate with whatever fun AARs the game provides me once I manage to get around to playing it.

Cool. I saw that you had won, but didn't know if it was from my post or not. They gave away a bunch of keys. 10 by the look of it.

Anyway, enjoy assassinating your lazy, crazy, homosexual, consumption stricken heirs.

I won one of the No High Scores copies. Neat! And thanks, Garion, for the post up-thread reminding people to enter. While I'm a regular reader of No High Scores, it had fallen out of my RSS reader due to their recent layout update and I'd missed the contest announcement. I shall compensate with whatever fun AARs the game provides me once I manage to get around to playing it.

Mr Bismarck wrote:
tboon wrote:

I will say that I am a little disappointed in how much stamina the HRE has in the game.

I don't know if you've seen this, but there's a fan made mod available right now which fiddles with rebellions, making them both less likely and more violent and limits the Emperor's ability to strengthen the laws which, combined, makes the HRE considerably more fragile.

HRE Mod

The mod also increases mercenary costs, but all of the parameters are pretty easy to fiddle with to your taste.

It's in the Paradox forums, so you'll need to be registered to go get it.

Hmm must have missed seeing that. Thanks!

What is up with all the goddamn kids the King of Denmark has? I mean seriously. Hells no you can't get married again. I also played as Provence, that was really fun, managed to capture Nice and marry my heir to the heir of a neighboring county. My attempts to gain Mediterranean islands from the Muslims met with spectacular failures.

What are people building first? I usually try to get some markets and villages in to increase my taxes and then go for the walls that increase troops and tax.

Haven't watched this all the way through, but Paradoxian knows his stuff.

NathanialG wrote:

What are people building first? I usually try to get some markets and villages in to increase my taxes and then go for the walls that increase troops and tax.

Best return on investment by far seems to be the money upgrades for your personal castles. They are the only sources that give you 100% benefit rather than having most go to the local lord.

This guide has a great section on buildings. Think it was posted earlier in the thread, though he has been steadily expanding it with more entries since then.

It took me a while to figure out that I had a personal castle. I dont even want to talk about how difficult it was figuring out how to make someone surrender to me. That button should not be greyed out when selected. I kept trying to click on it, wondering how much more of a beating my sister needed before she surrendered!

CK2 is a real critical darling. I had fun reading Wot I Think: Crusader Kings II at RPS. If you feel like your love for this game needs a little reinforcement (needy, right?), I suggest you take a look. This quote in particular voices a problem I've had when promoting the game to others:

There’s so much I haven’t written about but my initial draft was the typed equivalent of a man waving his arms and making incoherent sounds of delight and excitement. It’s such a huge game that people will find different ways of enjoying it and, of course, some people won’t find anything to love at all. Those people are dead inside. Anyone interested in emergent gameplay, dynamic narrative and the humanising of strategy would do well to spend a few days in the company of Crusader Kings II.

I find that the more hyperbole I use, the less convinced my audience becomes. Instead, I have to reign in my enthusiasm and carefully explain that they are dead to me if they do not buy, play, and love this game. Sadly, even this calm argument seems to put them off. I always end up regaling them with the story of how my mad king saved his legacy by assassinating his beloved wife in favor of a lusty German princess....somehow that kind of story has more impact.

mateofalcone wrote:

I find that the more hyperbole I use, the less convinced my audience becomes.

This next reviewer asked me not to read this...but god damnit, I am going to read it anyway because I WROTE IT and it's the TRUTH! I f*cking LOVE this GAME! It is the best grand strategy game ever....PERIOD! Ladies and gentlemen....CRUSADER KINGS II!

200 years into my count of Ulster working up to King of Ireland and England game and I've realised that I'm not enjoying the game as an all conquering king. For starters it is like herding cats with one minor war after another and I'm finding it a real grind.

I'm longing for the days when i was a lowly count hoarding my pennies so i could go on a hunt to try and drum up some prestige.

I may have to try out that count that reports to the Pope and see what it's like playing from that perspective. Or maybe a nice quiet fortified county in Switzerland.