Crusader Kings II Sparkle Pony-all

Okay... that's what I thought.

I died out on King Philippe's silly Crusade. Everyone hates the new Count -- everyone. So now the county I've been eyeballing had our Duke assassinated. King Philippe went and got himself killed in battle at the ripe old age of 24, and the new king of France is -- 1. The duke of Champagne is currently laying siege to Paris with around 2500 troops.

Pretty sure France is done ... so -- um -- hail, hail, Britannia?

That sounds *awesome*. Now the fun begins!

LilCodger wrote:

Okay... that's what I thought.

I died out on King Philippe's silly Crusade. Everyone hates the new Count -- everyone. So now the county I've been eyeballing had our Duke assassinated. King Philippe went and got himself killed in battle at the ripe old age of 24, and the new king of France is -- 1. The duke of Champagne is currently laying siege to Paris with around 2500 troops.

Pretty sure France is done ... so -- um -- hail, hail, Britannia?

As the Chinese say, "A chaotic world produces heros." The whole thing smells of opportunity.

What influence does my character's opinion of other characters have? For example, almost all of my vassals "like" me, but there a few that I apparently don't like.

Rather than get steamrollered by Duke Robert and Co, I turned coat and I'm now in the war to claim France. I don't imagine that I'll get anything out of directly (aside from more autonomy perhaps?) but it might set the stage for some future expansion...

Hover over their opinions of you and you'll get a great idea of what they don't like and what they do. This can help you to influence them or others.

Further, the more they dislike you, the more likely they are to do things against you. So try to keep them positive, or at least about -15 or so. Worse than that and you've probably got a structural problem - you're from a "foreign" family, or holding too many demenses, or maybe stupid/cruel/ugly. Things you can't do anything about you just have to gut out.

If you can't fix the haters by buying them off with land, money or positions, then start preparing for the future and wait for their move. Likely, you'll end up apportioning their land out to someone more friendly, in your family, or both.

On the other hand, what your opinion of others is is less impactful. I think it only comes into play during some of the events that pop up from time to time.

Robear wrote:

Hover over their opinions of you and you'll get a great idea of what they don't like and what they do. This can help you to influence them or others.

Further, the more they dislike you, the more likely they are to do things against you. So try to keep them positive, or at least about -15 or so. Worse than that and you've probably got a structural problem - you're from a "foreign" family, or holding too many demenses, or maybe stupid/cruel/ugly. Things you can't do anything about you just have to gut out.

If you can't fix the haters by buying them off with land, money or positions, then start preparing for the future and wait for their move. Likely, you'll end up apportioning their land out to someone more friendly, in your family, or both. :-)

Fortunately the vassals that matter seem to like me (at the moment).

tboon wrote:

On the other hand, what your opinion of others is is less impactful. I think it only comes into play during some of the events that pop up from time to time.

OK, that's good to know.

I have instituted a strategy of pushing my most intractable vassals into a controlled rebellion (thank you court jester title!), meaning i make sure everyone elseis happy enough, and I push a trouble maker into a bad move. My kingdom is large enough and I have so far prevented any one vasal from concentrating too much power (The most counties any one vasal controls is 4 (out of 30+ in my kingdom).

Also, I have the vasalage of a city in one of my duke's domains, and it is pissing him off, yet when I bring up the Mayor's diplomacy screen, there is no transfer vasalage button, how can I get this shifted over, because it is not worth the hate it is generating.

I think transfer vassalage is be on the Duke's diplomacy screen. The mayor is not involved, he and his city are the mere objects being transferred between his betters.

So tboon: I'm trying out the Duchy of Flanders. I've built up a decent little economy in my keeps. Levy numbers are rising.

Who do you mess with? Hard to mess with the French crown directly, which is directly south. It won't let me use the claim on my son's county in the HRE (or anywhere else that isn't independent). Without any De Jure to use, how do you escape that little corner of France?

Do I have to take on the King of France? I'll get totally smoked! (although in one aborted game we ran the Brits right out of Normandy, which was odd given that it was my daughter's duchy ... then the f*cker put it all in his own name)

I usually start messing with the duchies to the south. As long as crown authority is low, I have my chancellor out fabricating claims like mad. Once I get a claim, it almost always gets pressed. Having lots of money helps in case the victim has an ally and you need some mercs. But it is not all that hard to have built up the economy in that area to the point where you are by far the richest duke in France. In one game I was making 50/month or something directly holding 8 counties and 4 duchies. Of course everyone liked me at the time, so I was getting taxes from the bishops. And I had jacked up all tax levels.

Inheritance via marriage is a nice companion to claims fabrications.

I never mess with the king unless there is a widespread set of rebellions and he is totally distracted. But only if I am ready; going independent is cool but those darn dukes in the HRE on your borders will come at you if you don't have France to watch your back.

I prefer a "creeping incrementalism" type of game over going for the crown - being king is hard work. I don't want to be king necessarily, I just want to be the duke with the mostest.

tboon wrote:

On the other hand, what your opinion of others is is less impactful. I think it only comes into play during some of the events that pop up from time to time.

I tend to see it more as a role-playing aid. If you as the player don't have a particular opinion of this person, then here's what your character *should* reasonably think of them.

Dixie_Flatline wrote:
tboon wrote:

On the other hand, what your opinion of others is is less impactful. I think it only comes into play during some of the events that pop up from time to time.

I tend to see it more as a role-playing aid. If you as the player don't have a particular opinion of this person, then here's what your character *should* reasonably think of them.

It is an automatic item generated by the game. Everyone in CK 2 has an opinion of everyone else, even if they ive on the other side of the world.

Tenebrous wrote:
Dixie_Flatline wrote:
tboon wrote:

On the other hand, what your opinion of others is is less impactful. I think it only comes into play during some of the events that pop up from time to time.

I tend to see it more as a role-playing aid. If you as the player don't have a particular opinion of this person, then here's what your character *should* reasonably think of them.

It is an automatic item generated by the game. Everyone in CK 2 has an opinion of everyone else, even if they ive on the other side of the world.

It does help a little if you want to have a rough idea of how much you should trust the other character if you've never noticed them before. Of course, how they feel towards you is the thing that really matters in most cases...

My wife died (finally!). One potential bride is a duchess of several HRE counties. If I marry her and she has an uh.. accident, will that duchy come into my dynasty? If not should I marry her anyway, or maybe look for some other attribute in a bride?

Her heirs will inherit. You will not. Make sure any offspring of yours is both your heir and hers.

If you just want to marry for stats, try to get a wife with high stewardship; the wags on the Paradox forums seem to agree somewhat that stewardship is the best trait to have more of.

Hmm. I'm not sure that another heir would be a good idea (my inheritance law is gavelkind). I think I already have two male heirs. Should I stay unwed, or just deal with additional heirs as it comes up?

It kind of depends. You can always "take care of" extra heirs; there are various means available from the morally bankrupt through the morally dubious to the morally not too bad at all. I mean do you want that duchy to come into the family? If you do, then I say go for it and let the kids figure it out. If not, then, with two heirs already, I would just stay single and concentrate on trying to set up your inheritance for the next generation.

So it really depends on what you want to do.

tboon wrote:

So it really depends on what you want to do.

I wanna win! Seriously though, I know I'm playing the wrong game for that. I think I'll give it a shot, what's the worst that can happen?

I swear this game is a karmic retribution simulator.

I had a great game going with the Normans, took over Sicily slowly, kept my vassals in line, and ever carve out a small foothold onto Africa. Then my firstborn son was a homosexual with a lisp. To make matters worse, his brother was a genius (That is +5 to all stats, it may be gifted not important). Yeah.. my choice was simple.. Assasinate the non-procreating first born and let the 2nd born take the kingdom. Then karma struck.

King dies, 2nd born son takes over. Then 2nd born son died within a few years. Luckily he had a hairlipped son. He took over, but all of his vassals have something against hairy lips because they all revolted. Fought that war, and just when I subdued the last vassal.. he dies. His heir was his brother, who was even younger. Smelling weakness, the vassals revolted.. again. Only this time the coffers are empty and my Marshall is saying "Sorry we have no more soldiers." I don't think this boy will be the king of Sicily for very long. It took me 200 years to build the kingdom and fight back the hordes, and it took 10 years for it to fall apart. It was fun while it lasted.

You gotta play it out though. The fickle finger of fate swings both ways.

hairlipped

That's harelip, as in "like the upper lip of a rabbit".

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/w0L5p.jpg)

Mayfield wrote:

I swear this game is a karmic retribution simulator.

I had a great game going with the Normans, took over Sicily slowly, kept my vassals in line, and ever carve out a small foothold onto Africa. Then my firstborn son was a homosexual with a lisp. To make matters worse, his brother was a genius (That is +5 to all stats, it may be gifted not important). Yeah.. my choice was simple.. Assasinate the non-procreating first born and let the 2nd born take the kingdom. Then karma struck.

King dies, 2nd born son takes over. Then 2nd born son died within a few years. Luckily he had a hairlipped son. He took over, but all of his vassals have something against hairy lips because they all revolted. Fought that war, and just when I subdued the last vassal.. he dies. His heir was his brother, who was even younger. Smelling weakness, the vassals revolted.. again. Only this time the coffers are empty and my Marshall is saying "Sorry we have no more soldiers." I don't think this boy will be the king of Sicily for very long. It took me 200 years to build the kingdom and fight back the hordes, and it took 10 years for it to fall apart. It was fun while it lasted.

I had one character with the hairlip. I do not understand why that is bad for men? Perhaps it indicates a girly hairlip for men?

BadKen already pointed it out, but:

Harelip

Not "hairlip".

Dixie_Flatline wrote:

BadKen already pointed it out, but:

Harelip

Not "hairlip".

Ah I thought it was a joke.

The Game of Thrones mod makes this like the best game.....ever.

I've played about one hour of vanilla ck2 and everything else has been GoT mod. They keep updating and adding things to the mod making it chock full of more awesomeness.

If you are at all a Game of Thrones fan you owe it to yourself to play this total conversion.

BadKen wrote:
hairlipped

That's harelip, as in "like the upper lip of a rabbit"

I would kill my king if he looked like that image too. I should check my lineage to see if there is some inbreeding somewhere, since my character looks like Charles II.

TheArtOfScience wrote:

The Game of Thrones mod makes this like the best game.....ever.

I've played about one hour of vanilla ck2 and everything else has been GoT mod. They keep updating and adding things to the mod making it chock full of more awesomeness.

If you are at all a Game of Thrones fan you owe it to yourself to play this total conversion.

I have had my eye on that mod but the last I looked it was still pretty basic. Can you report on its current completeness?

Um...

Someone's working on an Elder Scrolls mod for CK2.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/9NAsr.jpg)

*squee*

Finally managed an independent Lombardy! Now the Visconti can pursue their destiny to become Kings of Italy!