Help Me Build My PC Catch-All

Citizen86 wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:
Citizen86 wrote:

I got my laptop here http://www.malibal.com

They ship to Canada, I'm sure there are others as well. I'd suggest looking into Clevo resellers/customizers, you have a lot more options. Asus and MSI do make good gaming/work laptops as well though

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Other question: Is there a site that you can build the laptop you want and they ship it to after? You pick the parts kind of deal?

Yeah, the one I posted

Also: http://www.powernotebooks.com/
http://www.xoticpc.com/index.html

Quite a few others, but those are some of the more well known ones.

Edit: I'll add that I like the 15" point. It's normally not quite as difficult to lug around, easier to pull out, and unless you are going for top of the top end in video card, like 680m or SLI, you should be able to get a decent one. Mine has a 560m, and I'm gaming on high settings at 1080p. Sometimes SSAO and other crazy settings need to be turned down/off, but for a laptop it kicks ass

Ack. Can't do 15". I need big screens. BIG I tells ya. That said I'm gaming on a netbook just fine so what do I know about myself?

I'm building a sample laptop at MALIBAL.

Is there a big framerate difference between the GeForce GTX 675MX (900Mhz memory speed) and the GeForce GTX 680M (1,800 Mhz memory speed)?

Strangeblades wrote:
Citizen86 wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:
Citizen86 wrote:

I got my laptop here http://www.malibal.com

They ship to Canada, I'm sure there are others as well. I'd suggest looking into Clevo resellers/customizers, you have a lot more options. Asus and MSI do make good gaming/work laptops as well though

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Other question: Is there a site that you can build the laptop you want and they ship it to after? You pick the parts kind of deal?

Yeah, the one I posted

Also: http://www.powernotebooks.com/
http://www.xoticpc.com/index.html

Quite a few others, but those are some of the more well known ones.

Edit: I'll add that I like the 15" point. It's normally not quite as difficult to lug around, easier to pull out, and unless you are going for top of the top end in video card, like 680m or SLI, you should be able to get a decent one. Mine has a 560m, and I'm gaming on high settings at 1080p. Sometimes SSAO and other crazy settings need to be turned down/off, but for a laptop it kicks ass

Ack. Can't do 15". I need big screens. BIG I tells ya. That said I'm gaming on a netbook just fine so what do I know about myself?

Can't you just use a desktop monitor for those days where you need a giant screen?

I like a 14 inch monitor on my laptop and a 24 inch monitor at each of my 3 offices.

Monoprice is launching a 2560x1440 monitor for about 390 bucks. It's backordered and won't be available till at least March, but it's going to be a great cheap option to get 2560x1440 without having to deal with doing the Korean import thing.

Yeah I saw that, I'm very interested. I was thinking of one of the Korean imports with HDMI and other input options, but that's what TV's are for. Not sure how anything other than 1440p would scale to it anyways. Fine for movies and games I guess.

Man, I would pee myself with that much screen real estate on one screen.

Citizen86 wrote:

Yeah I saw that, I'm very interested. I was thinking of one of the Korean imports with HDMI and other input options, but that's what TV's are for. Not sure how anything other than 1440p would scale to it anyways. Fine for movies and games I guess.

Man, I would pee myself with that much screen real estate on one screen.

2560x1440 is awesome. There's no going back.

Strangeblades wrote:

Ack. Can't do 15". I need big screens. BIG I tells ya. That said I'm gaming on a netbook just fine so what do I know about myself?

So I do Tech Support at a college and people are always bringing their personal stuff in hoping we will fix it (which is technically against policy but does happen sometimes) and I swear to god one day this one lady shows up with a suitcase with wheels on it and she digs a 22 inch laptop out of it. As a fan of the 13 inch form factor this sort of blew my mind that anyone would even think about trying to take one of those with them anywhere. And yes I asked her and she does use it as a portable; she wasn't just bringing it in to have us look at it. Some people be crazy.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Monoprice is launching a 2560x1440 monitor for about 390 bucks. It's backordered and won't be available till at least March, but it's going to be a great cheap option to get 2560x1440 without having to deal with doing the Korean import thing.

From that article I discovered that MicroCenter has this available: Auria EQ276W for $400.
It appears to be well received so far on the interwebz; I shall be stopping by MC tomorrow to get one.

Does Monoprice still have the best cheap VESA mounts?

After looking at the build-it-yourself stuff suggested to me I've decided to stick with the ASUS machine. It has the CPU and GPU I'm looking for and a large keyboard that looks comfortable to type with. And as a writer/reporter that's a huge deal for me.

Thanks for the advice.

Plug in mechanical keyboard to laptop. Best typing decision I've ever made

Edit: Also, the other two sites I linked will customize MSI and Asus laptops. If there is a sale somewhere like Newegg, it'll probably be cheaper, but depends on what you need. If you only need more RAM, go for Newegg. If you need a better video card and/or CPU, might shell out for a customized build from a smaller company.

Citizen86 wrote:

Plug in mechanical keyboard to laptop. Best typing decision I've ever made

Edit: Also, the other two sites I linked will customize MSI and Asus laptops. If there is a sale somewhere like Newegg, it'll probably be cheaper, but depends on what you need. If you only need more RAM, go for Newegg. If you need a better video card and/or CPU, might shell out for a customized build from a smaller company.

The thing is I like the rig they are selling at Newegg. It's got similar parts at a cheaper price. And the large keyboard which is a bonus.

w00t!!!!!!! Someone finally decided to make a 3.5 inch form factor SSD. And it is a company I have a lot of very good experience with (I bought the first hard drive I ever bought from them and all the Mac RAM I have ever bought has been from them) Other World Computing. Probably be a few years before enough other manufactures get into the game and bring the prices down but progress is progress.

Rykin wrote:

w00t!!!!!!! Someone finally decided to make a 3.5 inch form factor SSD. And it is a company I have a lot of very good experience with (I bought the first hard drive I ever bought from them and all the Mac RAM I have ever bought has been from them) Other World Computing. Probably be a few years before enough other manufactures get into the game and bring the prices down but progress is progress.

But the thought of 2TB of 3.5" SSD goodness certainly got me intrigued

That article said that it will be in the price-range for those who spend $6K on a computer.

Let me pick my jaw up off the floor.

I'm having trouble figuring out why I'd need to spend over $1k on a PC...

I'd say for a $1k budget to upgrade goes down like this:
$80 - PSU
$225 - CPU
$300 - GPU
$150 - MOBO
$120 - RAM
$125 - Additional storage
I'm assuming the case/monitor/at least one HDD gets rolled over. You're looking at 12.5% of the budget for storage. To be conservative I'll assume that it's proportional for a $6k build.* That's ball-parking $750 for that SSD.

*It wouldn't make sense, the MOBO, RAM, and CPU should max out before hitting a factor of 6. Storage and GPUs would increase more due to SLI and redundant storage.

McIrishJihad wrote:

I'm having trouble figuring out why I'd need to spend over $1k on a PC...

You could hit 2k pretty easily for a top of the line setup. For 6k you're pretty much talking about a server or really serious workstation though. An NVidia Quadro 7000 runs somewhere around 4k by itself, for example.

Yeah, it's not hard to throw many at stuff, especially when you go to 2560x1440, which will start to happen for a lot of people now that we are starting to see monitors of that resolution priced at as low as $400. That said, you only need $1000 for a very capable 1080p gaming PC.

So I picked up the MicroCenter 1440p monitor today. Can't tell you how it works, as I left the power brick at the store from when we tested for dead pixels. I live 90min from the store; I was in the area for work today so I swung by on my way home. Now I need to make a special trip tomorrow unless I want to wait until Monday (I don't).

TigerBill wrote:

So I picked up the MicroCenter 1440p monitor today. Can't tell you how it works, as I left the power brick at the store from when we tested for dead pixels. I live 90min from the store; I was in the area for work today so I swung by on my way home. Now I need to make a special trip tomorrow unless I want to wait until Monday (I don't). :(

Oh man, that sucks. Well, at least you know there aren't any dead pixels!

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
TigerBill wrote:

So I picked up the MicroCenter 1440p monitor today. Can't tell you how it works, as I left the power brick at the store from when we tested for dead pixels. I live 90min from the store; I was in the area for work today so I swung by on my way home. Now I need to make a special trip tomorrow unless I want to wait until Monday (I don't). :(

Oh man, that sucks. Well, at least you know there aren't any dead pixels!

This monitor is AWESOME! Glad I did more research before hitting Ebay for a Korean one. At least this way I have a warranty and a return policy that doesn't involve shipping overseas.

That's great to hear! Welcome to the club.

McIrishJihad wrote:

Let me pick my jaw up off the floor.

I'm having trouble figuring out why I'd need to spend over $1k on a PC...

For what it's worth, when I finally get the $$$ to buy a new computer, I will be looking at about $1k. Granted, that will be including a touchscreen monitor.

complexmath wrote:
McIrishJihad wrote:

I'm having trouble figuring out why I'd need to spend over $1k on a PC...

You could hit 2k pretty easily for a top of the line setup. For 6k you're pretty much talking about a server or really serious workstation though. An NVidia Quadro 7000 runs somewhere around 4k by itself, for example.

Case in point: I have a friend whose work is testing new Lenovo and Dell workstations at his job. Each carries dual Xeon 3.1GHz processors (24 total cores, I think?), 32GB DDR3 RAM (there are 16 slots TOTAL, only 4 used currently), 3x 240GB SSDs plus another 2.5TB, and they kind of cheated and installed GTX 680s instead of Quattros (test results indicated very little difference in performance vs price between gaming cards and workstation cards, at least for 3D and rendering). As it stands, though, just pricing off-the-shelve parts for these builds, the only dual- Intel CPU motherboard I could find, plus the two Xeon 3.1GHz CPUs already costs just short of $4500, and I haven't even priced out the cost including RAM, GPU, tower, PSU, etc.

I started overclocking my new build and I am very happy with some results I got today. I pushed my 3570k to 4.2 and was actually able to put the voltage LOWER than it's auto voltage. The default/auto voltage is 1.192 for my mobo/chip and I was able to get it stable @ 1.1 voltage.

It passed Intel Burn at a temp of 60c with a Hyper 212 EVO.

Cross my fingers that it stays stable. I will run prime 95 for a couple of hours.

Edit:
After a hour so far of Prime95 it's been stable with a max temp of 57c and average of 53. Yay

Yep. By top of the line I really meant a standard PC with an i7 and two GPUs in SLI mode. Once you get into fancy CPUs and such the price goes up amazingly fast.

Just curious here. Am I the only person that didn't know Nvidia fixed it so SLI will work with games running in windowed mode? Because it totally works with games in windowed mode, which is something Crossfire definitely did not do and research says still does not do.

Just thought that was interesting. I was testing some new game streaming software and noticed my framerates didn't really drop much running Battlefield 3 in a window, and I was pretty sure cutting the other card out should have caused significant drops in framerate. But it didn't. The game just ran with my usual settings and framerates stayed up. So I turned on the SLI load balance overlay thingie that shows how much work each card is doing at a given time and they were both active. Used to be when in windowed mode one of the two bars would just be empty and the other would be doing everything.

Then some googling confirmed it.

As someone who's just started streaming games, I gotta say this is a big advantage over Crossfire.

So, now that I'm rocking that snazzy new 1440p monitor; I think a video card upgrade is in order (yay tax season!). I currently have a 6870 (with fans stuck at 100%) and, I want to jump to Nvidia. Would a 4gb 680GTX be the best choice? I wish I could justify a 690.

A little Ivy Bridge overclocking question for whenever I get around to it - When you're setting the multiplier up, do you set less than 4 cores turbo multiplier up (for example, 2 at 38, 2 at 42), or do you just raise the limit on all of them and let the processor manage itself?