Fitbit (and other!) activity monitor track-all

clover wrote:

Are you OK with a bracelet style, or would you rather not wear something on your wrist all the time?

I got a Fitbit One because it could clip onto whatever I'm wearing, but if you're likely to forget and put it through the wash a bracelet would be better.

I honestly don't mind the bracelet style that way I won't forget it and wash it

clover wrote:

Are you OK with a bracelet style, or would you rather not wear something on your wrist all the time?

I got a Fitbit One because it could clip onto whatever I'm wearing, but if you're likely to forget and put it through the wash a bracelet would be better.

I honestly don't mind the bracelet style that way I won't forget it and wash it

clover wrote:

Are you OK with a bracelet style, or would you rather not wear something on your wrist all the time?

I got a Fitbit One because it could clip onto whatever I'm wearing, but if you're likely to forget and put it through the wash a bracelet would be better.

I honestly don't mind the bracelet style that way I won't forget it and wash it

clover wrote:

Are you OK with a bracelet style, or would you rather not wear something on your wrist all the time?

I got a Fitbit One because it could clip onto whatever I'm wearing, but if you're likely to forget and put it through the wash a bracelet would be better.

I honestly don't mind the bracelet style that way I won't forget it and wash it

clover wrote:

Are you OK with a bracelet style, or would you rather not wear something on your wrist all the time?

I got a Fitbit One because it could clip onto whatever I'm wearing, but if you're likely to forget and put it through the wash a bracelet would be better.

I honestly don't mind the bracelet style that way I won't forget it and wash it

clover wrote:

Are you OK with a bracelet style, or would you rather not wear something on your wrist all the time?

I got a Fitbit One because it could clip onto whatever I'm wearing, but if you're likely to forget and put it through the wash a bracelet would be better.

I honestly don't mind the bracelet style that way I won't forget it and wash it

Wow, a sextuple post! This intern's ambitious!

I'm almost two weeks into owning a Fitbit Charge and while I'm not hitting goals yet (lazy holiday, dammit), I'm enjoying it. Definitely more of a push to get more active.

Holy frak, Chris and Bill, you two are stepping machines! 64k steps in January, and it's barely even the 4th!

Wait a second... is Chris in Australia or something? 6,000 steps already for today? O.o

sometimesdee wrote:

Wow, a sextuple post! This intern's ambitious! :)

Lord that is embarrassing my internet was being slow and it wasn't showing that I posted that. Also how do I delete extra posts

You don't. Just learn to embrace them or edit them to say something witty.

We've all got a set somewhere; consider it part of your GWJ initiation.

tanstaafl wrote:

You don't. Just learn to embrace them or edit them to say something witty.

We've all got a set somewhere; consider it part of your GWJ initiation. :)

Yup. Welcome to the club!

sometimesdee wrote:

Holy frak, Chris and Bill, you two are stepping machines! 64k steps in January, and it's barely even the 4th!

Wait a second... is Chris in Australia or something? 6,000 steps already for today? O.o

SRSLY. I can't even hope to keep up. I've been more active than normal since I'm off work and have more time to run, and I'm still way behind.

Eagerly awaiting more Surge reports....

I was previously convinced that I was going to get a Surge (pretty much because it looks gadgety), but upon reflection I've come to the realization that this overweight & unmotivated guy has no chance of really benefiting from the GPS radio for runs (I'll willingly walk up a storm, but you won't ever find me jogging/running). That plus the higher price tag and shorter battery life is basically leading me to the Charge HR, once they're released. I love(d) my Force (until it broke), and Fitbit is graciously letting me return the two Forces I bought last February under the recall policy for a full refund.

merphle wrote:

I was previously convinced that I was going to get a Surge (pretty much because it looks gadgety), but upon reflection I've come to the realization that this overweight & unmotivated guy has no chance of really benefiting from the GPS radio for runs (I'll willingly walk up a storm, but you won't ever find me jogging/running). That plus the higher price tag and shorter battery life is basically leading me to the Charge HR, once they're released. I love(d) my Force (until it broke), and Fitbit is graciously letting me return the two Forces I bought last February under the recall policy for a full refund.

This is pretty much my same reasoning. I was all excited for the surge for all the gadgets but I realized the cost didn't make sense for what I was looking for. I am eagerly awaiting the Charge HR though.

I've got the Surge and I really like it. Being able to set the workout (not just walks/runs) and have it track HR during weight lifting, elliptical, or cycling is pretty cool. I hope to start running again this week (maybe next) but the GPS has been great for letting me know my walking pace. It's nice to see me get back to normal pace post foot surgery.

The battery life isn't great. I probably need to charge it every three days or so and I'll be paying $20-40 for extra USB charge cables for work and car. The first time it dies and you've had a great day of steps, believe me, you'll want the extra charging capabilities.

Hemidal wrote:

I've got the Surge and I really like it. Being able to set the workout (not just walks/runs) and have it track HR during weight lifting, elliptical, or cycling is pretty cool. I hope to start running again this week (maybe next) but the GPS has been great for letting me know my walking pace. It's nice to see me get back to normal pace post foot surgery.

The battery life isn't great. I probably need to charge it every three days or so and I'll be paying $20-40 for extra USB charge cables for work and car. The first time it dies and you've had a great day of steps, believe me, you'll want the extra charging capabilities. ;)

It loses data, or just stops recording?

Assuming it's like the Force, it will stop counting & recording steps, stop displaying the time on command, etc... It should have memory for 7-14 days worth of data at a time, and it can synch data periodically throughout the day via Bluetooth to your phone, or to your PC (via USB dongle). USB charge cable is just for charging.

Cod wrote:

It loses data, or just stops recording?

Stops recording. I used to have the Flex and it doesn't have any sort of active display, so unless I tapped it, I wouldn't know it was dead. I had a couple of trips out of town with no charger and 2-3 days of no recorded steps because the battery was dead.

Is it possible to use multiple Fitbits yet? I'd like to get the Surge for when I'm exercising, but would rather stick to the unobtrusive One when I'm at work or out and about. I don't really want to wear a wristband most of the time.

As far as I know, it's still one device per account.

My wife just picked up a Fitbit Charge, but getting it to work has proven a challenge. It keeps registering her time in a car as if she is walking. That of course renders it totally worthless.

Is she wearing it on her dominant hand and is it set for non-dominant? I always found the Flex (and now my Surge) pretty good at not picking up driving. Does she tap her hands on the steering wheel like Neil Peart?

I know I get "steps" when I play guitar, only reason I asked about potential nervous habits while driving.

Hemidal wrote:

Is she wearing it on her dominant hand and is it set for non-dominant? I always found the Flex (and now my Surge) pretty good at not picking up driving. Does she tap her hands on the steering wheel like Neil Peart?

I know I get "steps" when I play guitar, only reason I asked about potential nervous habits while driving.

If I jam out while driving, I get a fair number of steps in. On long drives, just general fidgeting can get me >1000 steps.

My favorite step earning activity is laying on the couch petting the dog. That can get me a couple hundred steps - so much activity! I'm breaking a sweat just thinking about it.

I think I'll probably end up getting Charge HR or Surge sometime this year. I have a Garmin GPS watch already (I bought it years ago when I decided to run a half marathon and never made it past couch to 5k). The problem with the Garmin is it's big and bulky, it takes a while to find satellites and be ready to use, and it's an alternate device I have to remember to put on for a workout.

I'm also tempted to go with a Surge for the more smartwatch-y features the Charge HR doesn't have.

The Surge and Charge HR are both now available for purchase from Fitbit.com. I ordered one of the latter.

20 bucks for this new Razer Nabu-X seems like a good entry point to see if I will like them.

Anyone play with the previous generation?

Doesnt it seem like we need a platform agnostic way to stalk each other? I hate the fitbit/up divide.

rabbit wrote:

Doesnt it seem like we need a platform agnostic way to stalk each other? I hate the fitbit/up divide.

Theoretically Google Fit and iPhone's equivalent will be larger umbrellas for stalking, but I know for sure that my device (Basis Peak) doesn't communicate with either (or MyFitnessPal, for that matter). It's definitely a place in the ecosystem waiting to be exploited.

Yeah, all of these walled gardens are annoying.

I have to hope that there will be interoperability improvements as the hardware becomes commoditized. I'd love to have a device that could just spit out my data, and I could send it to whatever service provider I wanted.