DOTA 2 Catch-all

liquid wrote:

For more stats you can check out http://dotaholic.com/

It's not personal stats, but http://dota-academy.com is interesting in that it tallies professional tournament results to generate stats on the pros, but also what the pro scene looks like - common bans/picks, team comp, etc. I haven't dug in too much yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

After the quantitative analysis of my first 100 matches, I'm also probably going to write up some details about what the learning process has been like and how hard it has been to dive in to the community. That's just going to take a longer block of time to do.

liquid wrote:

I am on EU and I tend to solo queue most of the time. Not using voice communication because I'm lazy, it takes more effort than writing for me and I haven't spoken in 5-6 years I think. Also when in a party I play much worse than I usually do so I don't want to be the one that ruins it for the team not only by not communicating efficiently but also by playing terribly.

I think I've only played with GWJ folks once and had to decline a second invitation because I was already in another party.

Well, you've seen our stats now, so you know that terrible is a relative thing. And as long as you can hear voice chat and will type the important details, your communication would be more than sufficient to group with the rest of us.

Atomicvideohead wrote:

My highest xp minute was as Dragon knight --742? That can't be right.

If you were stacking camps and carrying through the end game, this is definitely a plausible number.

Can someone invite me to the Steam group please? I'm starting to get really into the game.

link to profile?

I already got him.

Ulairi wrote:

Can someone invite me to the Steam group please? I'm starting to get really into the game.

I'm looking forward to getting some matches in with you.

casktapper wrote:
Ulairi wrote:

Can someone invite me to the Steam group please? I'm starting to get really into the game.

I'm looking forward to getting some matches in with you.

I'm terrible at it, so be ready to beat me often. I just like the idea of getting into a more competitive game.

Ulairi wrote:
casktapper wrote:
Ulairi wrote:

Can someone invite me to the Steam group please? I'm starting to get really into the game.

I'm looking forward to getting some matches in with you.

I'm terrible at it, so be ready to beat me often. I just like the idea of getting into a more competitive game.

You misunderstand -- we don't play against each other. We play on the same team against the heathen masses.

It would be cool if we could get a full 5v5 of GWJers though.

My first post! I agree with H to the ickle. I want some internal GWJ vs GWJ. I would be fun, and we can learn each other's play styles better.

Ugh. Sorry about the not carrying hard enough last night. I thought we had a pretty good team going, but I should have kept a handle on anti-mage. I'll do some better voiding tonight.

Atomicvideohead wrote:
Ulairi wrote:
casktapper wrote:
Ulairi wrote:

Can someone invite me to the Steam group please? I'm starting to get really into the game.

I'm looking forward to getting some matches in with you.

I'm terrible at it, so be ready to beat me often. I just like the idea of getting into a more competitive game.

You misunderstand -- we don't play against each other. We play on the same team against the heathen masses.

Oh. Be prepared of cursing about how bad I am.

If anyone wants to play tonight or this weekend I'm free.

I'm getting so sick of playing solo pubs.

I've got a copy to give away (and SMNC, and Garshasp). Friend me on steam.

I don't have much time to play right now, but I have an extra copy to gift if some non-coffee grinder wants it. Will try to remember to check my pm's. Not lots of time for online right now unfortunately.

Good captains game this weekend. Yes, it's rare, but kudos to you Atmoic. Screenshot it haha.

Captain Enchantress don't front!

Also, that was a great weekend of pretty much straight wins. Awesome!

Atomicvideohead wrote:

Captain Enchantress don't front!

Also, that was a great weekend of pretty much straight wins. Awesome!

"What do we need" - Atomic
"I'd say ranged" - Me
*picks enchantress*

Not gonna lie, i facepalmed, but it worked.

We needed ranged, we needed support, and we had no jungler. Damn straight I'm picking enchantress!

Happytime Harry wrote:
Atomicvideohead wrote:

Captain Enchantress don't front!

Also, that was a great weekend of pretty much straight wins. Awesome!

"What do we need" - Atomic
"I'd say ranged" - Me
*picks enchantress*

Not gonna lie, i facepalmed, but it worked.

You were not alone. That was part of a 7-game winning streak on Saturday (with 1 more Sunday before a couple losses).

We're getting much better at playing defensive and not throwing our lives away. I'm sorry I blew that 2nd game with a stupid last pick. I was just thinking about how often our last picks are pretty terrible, but I ended up with the same blinders on. "Hmmm...we need a strength hero. Nightstalker's mobility could be fun." Then I got one yes in chat and went for it before realizing it was pretty terrible. Of course, might have been able to salvage something if I went mid, but I thought to myself "Guess Bane's mid, I can go bot." *sigh*

That's literally one of the hardest things for newish people not to do as well, is getting "baited" by the other team. If something looks too good to be true, it's probably a trap.

My advice to newbies -- if you're not sure what to do, runaway.

That doesn't mean ALWAYS runaway, just if you're not sure whats going on.

Obviously when you start getting the mechanics and tactics down, you don't runaway nearly as much. Sometimes it pays to die.

But yeah, aggression isn't good, especially unannounced or un-teamed up for.

I would suggest that they follow their gut and give in to risky chases or dives and other forms of over extensions a few times in different situations, just so they get a feel of what they can or can't do and after a few mistakes/experiences then to mostly try to stick back and play safe. Knowing your limits and the limits of the hero you play can't be entirely realized until you've made a few dumb mistakes.

liquid wrote:

I would suggest that they follow their gut and give in to risky chases or dives a....Knowing your limits and the limits of the hero you play can't be entirely realized until you've made a few dumb mistakes.

Well, I guess I'd put that in situation. If you're playing with random pubs and have a thick skin or playing with computers, I say go for it. If you're in a 5 man premade, don't, haha.

Jsut know, as mentioned above, tenancies aggression is the first thing you have to overcome DOTA. And then eventually you have to overcome your cultivated defensiveness.

We were talking last night about the number of newer people, and our numbers in general and brought up the idea of a 5 v 5 GWJ game sometime this weekend. (preferably Sunday for me). We've got enough people to run two 3/2 veteran/newb teams. How do people feel about this? If you're interested and not one of the nightly regulars speak up!

Also, microphones while not mandatory, are verrrry encouraged. And If we have to choose between people, we'll probably lean microphone.

Big thanks to Roo for hooking me up with a copy. I'm at http://steamcommunity.com/id/nossid for the purpose of grouping and friending.

Atomicvideohead wrote:
liquid wrote:

I would suggest that they follow their gut and give in to risky chases or dives a....Knowing your limits and the limits of the hero you play can't be entirely realized until you've made a few dumb mistakes.

Well, I guess I'd put that in situation. If you're playing with random pubs and have a thick skin or playing with computers, I say go for it. If you're in a 5 man premade, don't, haha.

Jsut know, as mentioned above, tenancies aggression is the first thing you have to overcome DOTA. And then eventually you have to overcome your cultivated defensiveness.

We were talking last night about the number of newer people, and our numbers in general and brought up the idea of a 5 v 5 GWJ game sometime this weekend. (preferably Sunday for me). We've got enough people to run two 3/2 veteran/newb teams. How do people feel about this? If you're interested and not one of the nightly regulars speak up!

Also, microphones while not mandatory, are verry encouraged. And If we have to choose between people, we'll probably lean microphone.

Actually, I think there is still room in the 5-man premades to try things out and learn about the game. Of course, avoiding unnecessary deaths is one of the most important skills in DOTA, but once you've gotten that down, you need to start pushing against your boundaries. Just remember if you are playing in a premade with experienced teammates, you should listen to the feedback you are getting. Not all of the direction you might get is correct, but some of it definitely will be. And when you are being warned that a gank is incoming, you should seriously consider falling back.

I do think we need to take a bit of care in how we deliver that feedback. I try to find premades to avoid the vitriol and rants that can be all too common in pub matches. We're all going to make mistakes and when we react to those mistakes, we should operate from the assumption that someone is trying to do their best, not that they're an idiot that doesn't understand the game. When you are beginner - and even afterwards - the game is pretty stressful. When your teammates are riding you and harshly calling out every error you make, you are more likely to compound those errors. In the heat of battle it can be tough to remain calm and not just react in frustration, but we're all adults and I think we can try to hold ourselves to a higher standard. And try to bring that higher standard to a game where it isn't all that common.

While on that topic, the "Certis is awesome" and "gay" comments have to stop. Well, at least I'm not sure that I can continue playing in 5-man teams where this is common - I can't dictate what others can and cannot say. I don't think it is anyone from the GWJ community, but there are a few of the other regulars that we play with that resort to using these (and worse) as derogatory terms. This is a topic I struggle with, because I believe people should be able to speak however they'd like and I can tolerate pretty much any level of cursing and vulgarity. But I can't, in good conscience, passively allow that to be the standard for public conduct. I have too many friends who have had to deal with those judgements all their lives and they still feel the sting when in situations when that is the common level of discourse. I'm not innocent myself and slip up and use those words pejoratively when joking around with friends, but I feel like a hypocrite when, finding myself in those situations, I remain silent. I just wanted to let the folks here know how I felt and I will probably chat with some of regular offenders in game. I realize that some of those involved probably won't care what I think, but I don't feel right saying nothing.

I got a bit sidetracked in this reply, so I think I'll save some of the talk about practice scrimmages or learning sessions for newer players for a different post. Please know that, for the most part, the 5-man groups any of us participate in are welcoming, pleasant and patient. Never hesitate asking me to play or if there's a spot open on the team. And I haven't really seen anyone in this thread who doesn't feel the same way.

But, if you are going to play with the community, get a mic. Communication is a fundamental part of the game.

I'm looking forward to getting into some premades down the line. I just need to get up to speed first, but with experience from LoL and SC2 it shouldn't take too long.

I'm usually up for a game. I'm a noob with Dota 2 and the entire MOBA genre, but trying to learn as best I can. Just shoot me an invite if you don't mind a boat anchor on your team.

nossid wrote:

I'm looking forward to getting into some premades down the line. I just need to get up to speed first, but with experience from LoL and SC2 it shouldn't take too long.

Shouldn't take very long at all. I started with bot matches and was pretty comfortable - if nervous - jumping into the game after I was able to win consistently with all hard bots (on both teams). With the level of the early pub games, being able to win vs. medium bots is probably enough to get by. But it's helpful to have the basics down before getting in real matches. Coming from LoL you're at least familiar with the concept.

This post on the dota 2 subreddit is supposedly good for LoL players making the switch: http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...

I always recommend this page (http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-t...) to newer players. It's long, but it covers pretty much everything anyone might have questions about. If you want more, go back a couple pages. I share a lot of the resources I used to learn about the game.

Cask-- I totally agree with you, and I feel similarly...conflicted about speaking out. What finally got me to speak up was when something anti-semitic was rolled out. I spoke up then. I don't know why that triggered it as opposed to the other horrible things that get said.

I do take solace in that it's only the non-gwj guys, but that makes me feel bad too.

So who's in on the 5 man? Xanta? Cask? Harry seemed interested.

I'll add you on steam nossid.