Minecraft Multiplayer: GWJ World

Blondish83 wrote:

I have questions... what is the project here? I have no idea what is going on here other than a large letter T and I am intrigued.

Oddly straight lines of dirt in the desert.

IMAGE(http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6079/83476150.png)

It is in the desert so probably just a strip mine.

casamuel wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

"You can then use Lava flows to collect the Zombie Pigmen into a central area."

I understand that is how the wiki is written, but I do not believe that lava will push mobs as water does. The piston system similar to you built for the Blaze farm is the only way to move them. Correct me if I am wrong

Can't say I've ever noticed whether or not lava flow affects them.

I couldn't watch the video. It was unbearably slow. 42 minutes? Learn to edit, please!

Blondish83 wrote:

Question for everyone, would there be a demand for a collection of colored sheep for wool? I have the materials to create the dyes and am willing to host the 16 available varieties in Hueco Mundo or put them in New Filgaia Town.

As Infernarl said, I've got all the colours of sheep in my and DC's place under spawn. Hit the very south end of Ducki's Northlands Express for the main entrance into our place.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
casamuel wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

"You can then use Lava flows to collect the Zombie Pigmen into a central area."

I understand that is how the wiki is written, but I do not believe that lava will push mobs as water does. The piston system similar to you built for the Blaze farm is the only way to move them. Correct me if I am wrong

Can't say I've ever noticed whether or not lava flow affects them.

I couldn't watch the video. It was unbearably slow. 42 minutes? Learn to edit, please!

Just went into creative mode and lava only lets them swim in it, it doesn't push them anywhere. The opposite actually happens and they go upstream and attempt to jump out.

Aries wrote:
Blondish83 wrote:

Question for everyone, would there be a demand for a collection of colored sheep for wool? I have the materials to create the dyes and am willing to host the 16 available varieties in Hueco Mundo or put them in New Filgaia Town.

As Infernarl said, I've got all the colours of sheep in my and DC's place under spawn. Hit the very south end of Ducki's Northlands Express for the main entrance into our place.

Sweet; I'll make linking my rail line into the main rail system my next project. I'd like to have visitors on the 5+ minute rail ride.

Blondish83 wrote:

Sweet; I'll make linking my rail line into the main rail system my next project. I'd like to have visitors on the 5+ minute rail ride.

Gosh, you're about as far out as ducky. Where are you going to aim to connect to spawn?

I was thinking of a drop farm. There's a concept video. I obviously won't build above the ceiling bedrock, but there should still be plenty of height for a good sized farm.

I've never built a mob farm before, so there will be some trial and error.

The modifications around the nether fortress mostly mean suppressing other spawn points so that ZP are more likely to spawn in the farm. I don't know whether the heads of Wither Skellies drop only when killed by player/wolf, but if I aim to find out.

Oddrune wrote:

I was thinking of a drop farm. There's a concept video. I obviously won't build above the ceiling bedrock, but there should still be plenty of height for a good sized farm.

I've never built a mob farm before, so there will be some trial and error.

The modifications around the nether fortress mostly mean suppressing other spawn points so that ZP are more likely to spawn in the farm. I don't know whether the heads of Wither Skellies drop only when killed by player/wolf, but if I aim to find out.

If not killed by a player:

ZPs will drop nuggets and rotten flesh.
Wither skeletons will drop coal and bones.

No rare drops (gold bars, armor, weapons, skulls) will drop from either.

Suppressing other spawn points for zombie pigmen means either filling entire chunks completely with blocks or laying down glass (or other transparent block) everywhere on the ground. Or building in an area with no solid land: i.e. over a very large ocean of lava. Torches won't prevent zombie pigmen form spawning.

This concept kind of relies on being above and outside the nether, so mobs won't spawn outside of the farm.

LouZiffer wrote:

If not killed by a player:

ZPs will drop nuggets and rotten flesh.
Wither skeletons will drop coal and bones.

No rare drops (gold bars, armor, weapons, skulls) will drop from either.

I had a feeling that would be the case. Still, the nuggets are worthwhile.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Suppressing other spawn points for zombie pigmen means either filling entire chunks completely with blocks or laying down glass (or other transparent block) everywhere on the ground. Or building in an area with no solid land: i.e. over a very large ocean of lava. Torches won't prevent zombie pigmen form spawning.

This concept kind of relies on being above and outside the nether, so mobs won't spawn outside of the farm.

Yup. On the other hand, the farm also relies on someone being present to activate it, hence the attraction of building near the blaze spawner, despite needing to pave part of the world with half slabs.

Are half slabs prophylactic?

Well it's the paving a huge area with glass and half slabs that makes me feel it shouldn't be near the fortress or the blaze grinder or any other currently-well populated area.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Well it's the paving a huge area with glass and half slabs that makes me feel it shouldn't be near the fortress or the blaze grinder or any other currently-well populated area.

Why? If I leave the top part -- the wither skeleton part -- alone, what difference does it make?

Oddrune wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

Well it's the paving a huge area with glass and half slabs that makes me feel it shouldn't be near the fortress or the blaze grinder or any other currently-well populated area.

Why? If I leave the top part -- the wither skeleton part -- alone, what difference does it make?

Hate to be a stick in the mud, but there are at least a few people here who are expressing the desire that you not do this, I think for the sake of community harmony you not do it.

Well. This is... not the reaction I was expecting to a proposed public gold farm.

Oddrune wrote:

Well. This is... not the reaction I was expecting to a proposed public gold farm.

I think it's the location people have a problem with. If you can find a remote location in the nether I doubt people would bat an eye. Unless of course it some how brought the server to it's knees with lag.

Sorry I left you hanging on explanations, I was out to dinner and then caught a movie.

Zombie pigmen require a space of only 2 blocks high to spawn. They will spawn in any light level. The wiki states "Mobs spawn naturally within a 15x15 chunk (240x240 block) area around the player.... However, mobs that move farther than 128 blocks from any player will immediately despawn (see Despawning), so the mob spawning area is effectively limited to spheres with a radius of 128 blocks, centered at each player." To actually try and reduce other possible spawn sources, you would have to fill in or re-pave not just the 128x128 block area, but do so in a the entire sphere of 128 block radius (since the nether from top to bottom is only 128 blocks, we're talking an area floor to ceiling). Otherwise your spawn chamber has to be so massive that zombie pigmen naturally are more likely to spawn there, or it will simply be ineffective.

The reason I don't think the area by the blaze farm is a good spot for this is because it's so close to the spawn area and the most active player areas in the nether. The blaze farm, I don't recall its exact nether coords, but I know that the nearby deactivated blaze spawner is roughly at 164,169. That puts it about 235 blocks from spawn. The blaze farm then is probably 250 maybe 260? blocks from spawn. So the affected area starts roughly halfway from spawn to the blaze farm. Leaving the walkways of the fortress alone for wither skeletons will cripple this design, because the concept simply doesn't have a lot of spawn spots in comparison.

Sorry, I just think the project, at this scale, is too intrusive into the built-up nether areas. It's a top-of-nether concept that doesn't adapt well to being inside the nether. I think a far better approach for a gold farm would be to focus on one of the overworld designs, which have the advantage of being both compact and very straight-forward. Or try and implement in a further area where no one's existing structure or hunting grounds will have to be adapted to the designs requirements. No, it won't produce as much gold that way, but people would have the option to travel to it and let the mobs spawn.

&#$^$%# GOD *#&^$^$ DAMMIT *#*$&^#^@^@%!%!*&*!!!11!

LOL!

The planning that must of took! Ridiculous!

Gaald wrote:

LOL!

The planning that must of took! Ridiculous!

Yes I watched some of the video, in particular the making of the villages and to do this in SMP would surmount to a task on par or greater than what we have already done... so I'm not to irked.. plus ours will produce almost as much per hour as his beast. However what he did was sheer genius and a phenomenal piece of work.. truly impressive.

In other news I have managed to make in creative a cart call and dispersal system (full chest calls a cart, offloads inventory sends cart on it's way) that I will be implementing on the iron farm later this week, most likely friday. What this means to the general public is that very soon you wont have to go into the belly of the beast anymore (unless you want to sight see) for free iron but merely visit the ground floor where we plan on setting up a public access/iron collection area.

Awesome!

I've started and almost finished a new pathway to my nether portal and the blaze farm. It should be semi safe now and I plan to finish it when I get home from work. So if anyone wants take out the torches in the nether fortress feel free. And if anyone has some extra glass cobblestone redstone or gold they aren't using and feel like donating, you can drop it off at my base right behind the blaze farm, there's a store house up the stairs from the nether portal room.

IHateDRM wrote:

And if anyone has some extra glass cobblestone redstone or gold they aren't using and feel like donating, you can drop it off at my base right behind the blaze farm.

Nah man, you have to pick that stuff up yourself. SILO 1 & 3 have many double chests full of cobble, dirt, and gravel you or anybody can have. SILO 4 will have a few double chests full once we get done digging it out as well. I'm just not transporting it for anybody. And if you limit yourself to only what you need (we want to keep some for others), iron is free for the taking in the middle of the iron farm.

plavonica wrote:
IHateDRM wrote:

And if anyone has some extra glass cobblestone redstone or gold they aren't using and feel like donating, you can drop it off at my base right behind the blaze farm.

Nah man, you have to pick that stuff up yourself. SILO 1 & 3 have many double chests full of cobble, dirt, and gravel you or anybody can have. SILO 4 will have a few double chests full once we get done digging it out as well. I'm just not transporting it for anybody. And if you limit yourself to only what you need (we want to keep some for others), iron is free for the taking in the middle of the iron farm.

Cool thanks! I've got most of it built but if you don't mind I'll come by later to pick up some cobblestone to replace what I used. If nothing else getting stuff from you and Einbjorn has to work out better than the time I borrowed a pick from Q Stone and he made me wear a pizza boy outfit and hit the shift key over and over. It made me feel really uncomfortable.

Oh and I could still use redstone and gold for the rail system. I'm not sure how much I'll need to get it going but I kind of took the scenic route so probably a lot unfortunately.

Does spawn need an automated train station?

"Need"? How does that come into it?

Yes. Now that the topic has been brought forward, spawn must have an automated train station.

Two new cart developments: dispensers can place cart entities right on a rail now, and hoppers can grab cart drops. There's not exactly an automated way to break a cart entity into a drop, however firing an arrow from two dispensers simultaneously will do it reliably in my tests.

I have an automated cart collection and deployment mechanism near my place. I used a cactus to break the cart and toss it into a hopper. Still needs some prettying up, but it seems to work great.

Press a button to call a cart.

On arrival, just exit the cart and a pressure plate takes it to the cactus breaker and stores carts in a dispenser with a chest as a buffer for tons of carts.

http://mc.liquidmantis.com/overviewe...