Minecraft Multiplayer: GWJ World

Do you like work that is both repetitive and dangerous? Have I got a job for you! Come on down to Honest Ruhk's Octadomatorium where we are pioneering the field of removing an ocean from an internal structure!

I'm currently "dehydrating" the ocean inside the monstrosity I'm building in Northspawn Bay. Turns out it's a much larger task than I had anticipated. If anyone wants to help out, just take the nether to my place. I've already started the process using ladders, but still have a long ways to go.

It's been awhile since I last played so I can't offer much in the way of recompense other than knowing that you contributed in building a monstrous blight on the landscape that is visible from orbit.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

I've got my own big hollowing-out project going on right now though, so I can't help ya.

I thought you'd hollowed out your soul a long time ago.

Ah ha, I was wondering when that'd start. I've got my own big hollowing-out project going on right now though, so I can't help ya.

Alternatively, bribe LiquidMantis into spawning a sponge for ya.

NSMike wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

I've got my own big hollowing-out project going on right now though, so I can't help ya.

I thought you'd hollowed out your soul a long time ago.

Yes, but that wasn't a big project.

ruhk wrote:

Do you like work that is both repetitive and dangerous? Have I got a job for you! Come on down to Honest Ruhk's Octadomatorium where we are pioneering the field of removing an ocean from an internal structure!

I'm currently "dehydrating" the ocean inside the monstrosity I'm building in Northspawn Bay. Turns out it's a much larger task than I had anticipated. If anyone wants to help out, just take the nether to my place. I've already started the process using ladders, but still have a long ways to go.

It's been awhile since I last played so I can't offer much in the way of recompense other than knowing that you contributed in building a monstrous blight on the landscape that is visible from orbit. :P

The most efficient water removal uses the Knight's Move*. Here's an example:

IMAGE(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8487/8214231689_eec056aea4_c.jpg)

I've just begun arranging things like that. Will do more as I get some time.

[size=2]* It was extremely gratifying to say this to Ruhk, even if Ruhk already knows.[/size]

Yeah, that's basically what I've been doing.

This is a job for sand. Easier to work with and you can drop it from the top to fill in columns of water.

Oh, joining the crew. Long hours, low pay, sounds like my kind of gig.
--
TAZ

Hey all, looking to trade. I buy diamond picks from villagers and then enchant them in bulk looking for combos that are good for large scale projects. But of course I'll often get ones I don't want or need.

I have quite a few Efficiency Silk Touch diamond picks that I'd be happy to trade for diamond picks with any Unbreakable enchantment. In case you're not familiar with Silk Touch, it is a very cool buff that lets you mine blocks that normally break without breaking them. So not only can you recover glass blocks and panes for placement elsewhere, you can get a few types of blocks impossible to get any other way: ore blocks (coal, redstone, diamond), ice, and dirt blocks with grass still attached (good for starting a pasture underground or in a desert). You can also use them to mine stone without it turning into cobble when it breaks.

Used sparingly, these diamond Silk Touch picks will last a long long time. Which is the reason I don't need all the ones I have! normally it's a rare enchantment so I'm a little surprised I ended up with so many - about 4 of them.

As a guy that builds a lot with stone brick, silk touch is an asset for harvesting smooth stone. I have one that I've been repairing.
Not sure I could meet any kind of demand with unbreakable enchants.

This morning's moment of Zen...

LouZiffer wrote:

This morning's moment of Zen...

Nice, quick tutorial. Is there a semi-convenient way to replace the water source blocks at sea level once you're done building and want to fill it back in?

Mixolyde wrote:

Nice, quick tutorial. Is there a semi-convenient way to replace the water source blocks at sea level once you're done building and want to fill it back in?

The most convenient way to do that is not to take them out. If you only want the surface blocks to stay, make sure the top block of your pillars is 1 block under the surface, and that top block is made out of dirt so it will continue to hold the water up while you build.

If you want minimal water clearing you can use doors/signs/ladders/glass panes to make air spaces under water, build your stuff without clearing the water at all, and clear the water inside what you build.

I use a Respiration helm to build a sealed structure underwater, with a door or ladder block for air, then I fill it with dirt and dig it out. Easy and quick.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/25/36...

Among the changes to be introduced in the update are:

* Changes to the way redstone behaves by giving it a variable signal strength and adding a new capacitor block
* Improvements to minecarts by adding special tracks to "unload freeloaders like pigs" and systems for filling and emptying chests
* The addition of a daylight detector, fireworks for New Years Eve and Nether-based ore from which capacitors can be made.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/25/36...

Among the changes to be introduced in the update are:

* Changes to the way redstone behaves by giving it a variable signal strength and adding a new capacitor block
* Improvements to minecarts by adding special tracks to "unload freeloaders like pigs" and systems for filling and emptying chests
* The addition of a daylight detector, fireworks for New Years Eve and Nether-based ore from which capacitors can be made.

Oh wow nice! I haven't been on in a long while and I have yet to finish my 1st big project on this map, but I love that they are tweaking redstone. Even if I am not sure what the tweaks will do to change the way it works.

Variable strength and capacitors? RC timers!

FYI, I restocked one of the supply chests at the Ruhk site with wood, ladders, and sand. Enjoy.

Robear wrote:

I use a Respiration helm to build a sealed structure underwater, with a door or ladder block for air, then I fill it with dirt and dig it out. Easy and quick.

Wha?

Had no idea. Off to the enchanting table. and the wiki.

I've always thought that they need to do more to open up/ enliven (is that a word?) the underwater environment.

It would also be awesome to be able to use a somewhat automated minecart system to haul stuff out of the mine.

TNT mining is fun, but it destroys loot. Some sort of drill would be nice. Fantasy theme it however it needs. A battering ram? I'd like to be able to take out a stack of blocks, three high.

LouZiffer wrote:

This morning's moment of Zen...

I'm going to have to tour this thing. I want to see what it looks like with the ocean up against the sides.
Wishing for more water mobs to make it scenic.

Ghost, one of my hobbies in-game is to search the sea bottom for clay deposits, and sand if I have a large requirement for it that would denude a desert. For that, I needed a good Respiration helm. I used Gold because it takes enchantments better, but if you plan on fighting in it, use iron or diamond.

I carry a door or two with me so that I reach deep sea bottoms and install the door, which creates an air-filled double block that I can use as a base for searching. When I finish an area, I just pick up the door and move on.

In the course of this, I have found that many caverns have openings in the sea floor, and so one can ride the water down and into an unexplored cavern (or indeed an explored one.) This gives a unique feel to exploration, since you not only don't have a base of support, but you're under the freaking ocean, so you can't dig your way out. Don't die.

After filling up on abandoned mine goodies and the like, just swim back up and out. Great fun and really adds to the interest of underground exploration.

Can you clarify "takes enchantments better". That almost sounds like some meta RP.

Ghostship wrote:

Can you clarify "takes enchantments better". That almost sounds like some meta RP.

You get better enchantments on gold items. So a gold breathing helmet is better, seeing as you don't need it for battle.

Has anybody tried this rendering tool?

IMAGE(http://i49.tinypic.com/564o7.png)

Some crazy build stuff going on there.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...

Looks like it's just an "easy" way to get stills out of your world.

Some of the builds on that page are incredible.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. It's probably going to be awhile before this is relevant, but I'm in the process of building an inner ring around the perimeter of the ocean which will mark the boundary of the inside wall. When removing water, try to leave a buffer of 2-3 water blocks distance from the inner wall. The interior wall will be filled with water and have large viewing windows, and it will be easier to finish building and glass it in without dirt/sand pillars in the way. If you have any questions just let me know, I should be back in game later tonight.

Norfair wrote:

Has anybody tried this rendering tool?

No, but that is awesome and I am going to have to play with it.

Gremlin wrote:
Norfair wrote:

Has anybody tried this rendering tool?

No, but that is awesome and I am going to have to play with it.

Looks like you need the latest save state of a game to make a render.

IMAGE(http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-M4NZ5Tk/0/L/i-M4NZ5Tk-X3.jpg)

Mixolyde wrote:

IMAGE(http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-M4NZ5Tk/0/L/i-M4NZ5Tk-X3.jpg)

I ran into that with my son on WoW, I even had to report one person, but not Minecraft since the only multiplayer he does with that is the GWJ server.

Can I get whitelisted? Minecraft name: QinKai