Minecraft Multiplayer: GWJ World

DaScorpion wrote:

Excuse the Newb in me, but the holes in our map, are those unexplored areas?

Also, when one sleeps on the bed in MP and makes time pass, how does that affect the other players online? Do they experience the time change too?

Yep. Holes are places no one has been.

No, sleeping doesn't affect others like that, because sleeping only causes the time change if you are the only one on the server. Otherwise, it just marks your personal spawn point.

momgamer wrote:

No, sleeping doesn't affect others like that, because sleeping only causes the time change if you are the only one on the server. Otherwise, it just marks your personal spawn point.

Almost. I believe if there is more than one person on the server and everyone on the server sleeps at the same time, the night will pass like it does in SP.

Ah I see. Thanks for the info!

Okay, so I just saw the "Bender" statue in the water. Epic. lol

plavonica wrote:

I'm going to need some cobble. If anyone needs a mountain leveled let me know. A pic of the area from our map would be appreciated.

You could clear out the rest of my ceiling if you want. Or if you don't feel like doing my work for me, I have a few large chests full of cobble too. If you do clear out the top of that hill, all I ask is that you leave the shape of my ceiling and the stairs going up in tact, so's I can finish decorating. I've put up signs in the Nether to direct everybody to my place even though it's still a work in progress. Here it is on the map, http://mc.liquidmantis.com/overviewe...

NSMike wrote:
momgamer wrote:

No, sleeping doesn't affect others like that, because sleeping only causes the time change if you are the only one on the server. Otherwise, it just marks your personal spawn point.

Almost. I believe if there is more than one person on the server and everyone on the server sleeps at the same time, the night will pass like it does in SP.

This doesn't happen very often on a busy server, as you can imagine. More relevant at non-peak periods.

Plav and I have staked claim to another part of our massive tundra biome for yet another mad experiment.

http://mc.liquidmantis.com/overviewe...

Basically the whole circle/moon shaped area surrounded by the river.

I had an idea to put a beacon in the Cordelia keep, but put it at bedrock under the tower part that sticks out into the water, and let it shine all of the way up.
Problem being, I built the keep with two blocks as the centre axis. So, the flat sides of the circle, and the centre of the path are an even number, instead of an odd number, which would allow a single block to be at the true centre.

Anyone have any ideas to make it look like it belongs, without actually building one whole side over again, one block adjacent?

If only you could build on the half block.

Ghostship wrote:

I had an idea to put a beacon in the Cordelia keep, but put it at bedrock under the tower part that sticks out into the water, and let it shine all of the way up.
Problem being, I built the keep with two blocks as the centre axis. So, the flat sides of the circle, and the centre of the path are an even number, instead of an odd number, which would allow a single block to be at the true centre.

Anyone have any ideas to make it look like it belongs, without actually building one whole side over again, one block adjacent?

If only you could build on the half block.

Just to let you know, I'm putting a beacon in the church just down the hill, too. Is there some way to change the color of the light? That might be cool to have the two of them.

Don't we need to kill a Wither to get what we need for a beacon?

Yup.

Ghostship wrote:

I had an idea to put a beacon in the Cordelia keep, but put it at bedrock under the tower part that sticks out into the water, and let it shine all of the way.

Keep in mind that the aoe for a beacon's buff field takes into account the y axis, so if you place it at bedrock it's not goin to give much coverage at sea level.

Unless you just want the beam, in which case nevermind.

Xeknos wrote:

Don't we need to kill a Wither to get what we need for a beacon?

Yep. And it has to drop a Nether Star, so we may have to pull more than one.

Other materials aren't easy, either, but we're working on them. Rezzy donated the obsidian (THAN YOU). I've got the glass.

You also need a crap-ton of diamond/emerald. I'm working on those right now to grind levels for enchantments on some weapons and armor before I pull that thing. I am not a combat monster, so I'm starting from a blue t-shirt.

Getting the wither skulls from the wither skeletons for the gargoyles and then to make the Wither itself will be good training.

momgamer wrote:

You also need a crap-ton of diamond/emerald.

Does 'crap-ton' convert to actual numbers?
I ended up with a couple of Fortune pickaxes, so I may have a handful or two of diamonds and emeralds I could spare.

Rezzy wrote:
momgamer wrote:

You also need a crap-ton of diamond/emerald.

Does 'crap-ton' convert to actual numbers?
I ended up with a couple of Fortune pickaxes, so I may have a handful or two of diamonds and emeralds I could spare.

1476 total. (If it's a full pyramid)

LouZiffer wrote:

1476 total. (If it's a full pyramid)

I think that qualifies as a crap ton.

MojoBox wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:

1476 total. (If it's a full pyramid)

I think that qualifies as a crap ton.

You don't have to build one that high, though, from what I understand. It gives it more power, but you can start one with as few as 9.

You can also use Gold and Iron to pad it out.

Here's the Wiki entry.

momgamer wrote:
MojoBox wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:

1476 total. (If it's a full pyramid)

I think that qualifies as a crap ton.

You don't have to build one that high, though, from what I understand. It gives it more power, but you can start one with as few as 9.

You can also use Gold and Iron to pad it out.

Here's the Wiki entry.

I'd say as few as 81, since it's blocks of diamond/emerald. (Though I know what you meant. :))

I'm not set on the beacon. Now that you mention it, I think I recall reading the plans for the temple. And honestly, I'd rather not rebuild one side of the keep. I'd never be satisfied with of off centre on the one of the four squares.

momgamer wrote:
MojoBox wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:

1476 total. (If it's a full pyramid)

I think that qualifies as a crap ton.

You don't have to build one that high, though, from what I understand. It gives it more power, but you can start one with as few as 9.

You can also use Gold and Iron to pad it out.

Here's the Wiki entry.

Looks like you can just use iron if you wanted.

Edit: just did some creative mode noodling around and a pyramid of just iron blocks works out fine.

Is it too late to get a plot of land in cordelia? It's been enough time since my all consuming mega project that I feel like getting back into the game and I may as well contribute to cordelia.

If possible I'd actually like two side by side plots as one plot on its own seems a little small, but on the other hand it might be good way to keep the size of my project to a minimum so either one is fine.

I'm not entirely sure what I want to build just yet, but it will probably be either a library or a house of some kind, and just so you know I was inspired to get back into the game by the chapel Momgamers building so it will most likely resemble that to some degree.

Yep, there's plenty of spots available. They're marked out with fence corners and should be pretty straightforward. Most of them have a tile buffer between the road and the plot. For shrubs, or flowers or whatever. So feel free to incorporate that if need be. Just trying to avoid colossal towers mashed up against the roads. Know what I mean?

And I hear ya on the size thing. I started building a house then noticed after I got the foundation in that it was too huge. I find it more challenging and interesting to stay within certain constraints. So when I get a chance I'm going to hop in and cut my foundation back.

Welcome to Cordelia

I had the same fun with building the bakery within its given constraints. Inside I wanted to do something similar to the small one-room bakeries which were around in the early 19th century, with a small sleeping area in back for the person who attends the ovens overnight. On the exterior, it was a challenge to create some bread pixel art which fit within the space but was still recognizable.

When I am done with my current project out on the desert isle I'd like to snag up a plot in Cordelia myself. I'd really like a small project for a nice change of pace

LouZiffer: I think your bakery is most excellent!

Try a phased project design. Drive the first plot to completion, and if nobody has taken the next door plot by then, propose to take it.
Your conceptual design just has to take the phasing into account. The first half has to be able to stand alonE, and somehow integrate with the second.
This is a great real world design problem.

I actually like the way the density of Crodelia is likely to develop.
Again, urban intensification is a general trend in North American planning.

Ghostship wrote:

Try a phased project design. Drive the first plot to completion, and if nobody has taken the next door plot by then, propose to take it.
Your conceptual design just has to take the phasing into account. The first half has to be able to stand alonE, and somehow integrate with the second.
This is a great real world design problem.

I actually like the way the density of Crodelia is likely to develop.
Again, urban intensification is a general trend in North American planning.

I was actually thinking of doing just that, I'll go claim two side by side lots and then I'll start planning things out in creative mode.

Shawnosaurus wrote:

Just trying to avoid colossal towers mashed up against the roads. Know what I mean?

Don't worry I've gotten the whole colossal tower out of my system, and honestly the one I built was way bigger than I intended in the first place, but of course by the time I realized that it was too late to turn back, so I had to do what I could with what I had and overall I think I did ok. Although I'd still like to go back and redo the top section if I ever have the time.

Do the what size are the plots? Are claimed two and have started work on one and noticed that the area in side of the fences is 10 X 5 which would be fine except that after I put in the walls it will be 8 X 3 if I can take out the fences so that its 8 X 5 it'll be fine, if not I could just see if theres other plots available.

IHateDRM wrote:

Do the what size are the plots? Are claimed two and have started work on one and noticed that the area in side of the fences is 10 X 5 which would be fine except that after I put in the walls it will be 8 X 3 if I can take out the fences so that its 8 X 5 it'll be fine, if not I could just see if theres other plots available.

The fences are just plot markers, they don't need to remain.

I've built part one, and I'll start on part two tomorrow.

If anyone has a Problem with what I've done so far just let me know, I understand if its too close to the road, but I figured its better to ask forgiveness than permission so I decided to run with the idea, plus it should only take a minute or two dismantle anyways.

I just got my third wither skull and am preparing to battle the wither boss!

My plan is to go to my remote mining base in the middle of nowhere and dig a long 1-wide tunnel, at the end of which will be a room where the wither boss will spawn. As it tunnels toward me I'll be shooting it with arrows from the tunnel until it gets to its shield stage. Then I'll hit it with a sword as I back up further.

If things go really bad, I'll have a room full of iron golems far down the tunnel. If it gets past those, I'll rig some TnT charges further on. If it somehow gets past all of that... well... I guess I'll run while crying for help!