iOS, iPhone and iPad Hardware Catch All - WWDC Today at 10PST

Pages

IMAGE(https://devimages.apple.com.edgekey.net/wwdc/images/wwdc14-home-branding.png)

WWDC is today at 10 PST. Live blogs are pretty much everywhere and you can watch it here (Safari only).

I am hoping iOS7 comes out today. Pretty exciting about some of small but significant changes. Not expecting much from the 5S and 5C though. However, the 5C will be very appealing for kids and budget non techie people if it's true. We will see soon enough.

I also hope they show the Mac Pro's. Need an update at work.

The Engadget liveblog has been really good so far.

TempestBlayze wrote:
I am hoping iOS7 comes out today. Pretty exciting about some of small but significant changes. Not expecting much from the 5S and 5C though. However, the 5C will be very appealing for kids and budget non techie people if it's true. We will see soon enough.

No OS today, but next week. Which is disappointing since a lot of my apps have been updating lately to get ready for it.

EDIT: I'm really curious about the 5C. I have an old RAZR from college I still use for personal purposes while work hasn't upgraded my iPhone 4 yet. So I'm tentatively planning on getting either the 5C or 5S early next month for my birthday and go full-BYOD. I don't particularly need the latest and greatest as I do most of my iOS gaming on my 3rd gen iPad so I'm content with a lesser iPhone model especially if it won't add a ton of burden to the family plan I share with my parents.

Plus the plastic case should hopefully be more resilient than the glass-back 4/4S which has been a major point of contention for the more accident-prone iPhone users I know.

shoptroll wrote:
TempestBlayze wrote:
I am hoping iOS7 comes out today. Pretty exciting about some of small but significant changes. Not expecting much from the 5S and 5C though. However, the 5C will be very appealing for kids and budget non techie people if it's true. We will see soon enough.

No OS today, but next week. Which is disappointing since a lot of my apps have been updating lately to get ready for it.

EDIT: I'm really curious about the 5C. I have an old RAZR from college I still use for personal purposes while work hasn't upgraded my iPhone 4 yet. So I'm tentatively planning on getting either the 5C or 5S early next month for my birthday and go full-BYOD. I don't particularly need the latest and greatest as I do most of my iOS gaming on my 3rd gen iPad so I'm content with a lesser iPhone model especially if it won't add a ton of burden to the family plan I share with my parents.

Plus the plastic case should hopefully be more resilient than the glass-back 4/4S which has been a major point of contention for the more accident-prone iPhone users I know.

I think the big question for you is: Will you be taking a lot of pictures with the phone? The new camera hardware and features are quite compelling.

I was really hoping for a new iPad mini. Now I'll end up buying the current one and enjoy it for 3 months until the new one comes out when I least expect it.

TempestBlayze wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
TempestBlayze wrote:
I am hoping iOS7 comes out today. Pretty exciting about some of small but significant changes. Not expecting much from the 5S and 5C though. However, the 5C will be very appealing for kids and budget non techie people if it's true. We will see soon enough.

No OS today, but next week. Which is disappointing since a lot of my apps have been updating lately to get ready for it.

EDIT: I'm really curious about the 5C. I have an old RAZR from college I still use for personal purposes while work hasn't upgraded my iPhone 4 yet. So I'm tentatively planning on getting either the 5C or 5S early next month for my birthday and go full-BYOD. I don't particularly need the latest and greatest as I do most of my iOS gaming on my 3rd gen iPad so I'm content with a lesser iPhone model especially if it won't add a ton of burden to the family plan I share with my parents.

Plus the plastic case should hopefully be more resilient than the glass-back 4/4S which has been a major point of contention for the more accident-prone iPhone users I know.

I think the big question for you is: Will you be taking a lot of pictures with the phone? The new camera hardware and features are quite compelling.

Likely but only on vacation trips. Haven't topped out the work phone yet which is 16 GB, so I think I'd be safe with 16GB regardless of which model I get.

Also, I hope the fingerprint scanner is optional. I've had trouble with the one work installed after our boss got tired of people losing their key cards.

I am personally surprised they have outright discontinued the iPhone 5. If you want the better looking phone without the tacky candy colors then you need to pay $200.

Sdnick wrote:
I was really hoping for a new iPad mini. Now I'll end up buying the current one and enjoy it for 3 months until the new one comes out when I least expect it.

I think last year they had their Iphone conference in September, and their Ipad conference in October so you may still want to wait another month. I also just saw today that Walmart just dropped the price of the Ipad 2 to $350. You'll get the same resolution as the Ipad mini, and a full size screen for $20 more than a mini.

TempestBlayze wrote:
I am personally surprised they have outright discontinued the iPhone 5. If you want the better looking phone without the tacky candy colors then you need to pay $200.

They must have done this on purpose. My 16gb 4s is almost full. I wouldn't mind paying $100 less for the 32gb 5c, but is it too much to ask to make it in black?

So the only new things over the existing iPhone 5 are 64-bit, incremental camera improvements, and a fingerprint sensor? I think the software upgrade to iOS 7 will do me fine for another year.

The new case is fugly, or maybe it's just the clashing color scheme Ars decided to highlight.

Mr E.B. Slugworth wrote:
TempestBlayze wrote:
I am personally surprised they have outright discontinued the iPhone 5. If you want the better looking phone without the tacky candy colors then you need to pay $200.

They must have done this on purpose. My 16gb 4s is almost full. I wouldn't mind paying $100 less for the 32gb 5c, but is it too much to ask to make it in black?

Yeah, it has to be a deliberate move -- the 5C is basically just a 5 that's cheaper to make, thanks to the plastic back, so there's no reason from Apple's perspective to keep the 5 around.

Did they announce the price tag yet?

In about 3-4 months, I'll need to change my iPhone 4.

$99 and $199 for the 5C in 16 and 32 GB models, respectively. $199, $299, and $399 for the 5S in 16, 32, and 64 GB models. And there's the buyback program if you don't want your current iPhone any more and can't be bothered to sell it on eBay or whatever.

complexmath wrote:
$99 and $199 for the 5C in 16 and 32 GB models, respectively. $199, $299, and $399 for the 5S in 16, 32, and 64 GB models. And there's the buyback program if you don't want your current iPhone any more and can't be bothered to sell it on eBay or whatever.

Guess those prices are with a cell contract?

Wait, 64-bit? Is there any real advantage to that for a smartphone?

Well, I'm impressed. Also, $200 for the 16 GB, and a 5C for $100, when did Apple become affordable?Also I'm an idiot, those prices are only if you have a contract.
The reasons I've seen for why the move to 64-bit is so awesome truly stagger my mind.
Also, when the hell did ARM release their final 64-bit design? I know the 64-bit ISA has been on preview for a while now, but this is a surprise.

This move by Apple has me supremely pissed. Minor upgrades to the tech on the phone and they are pumping the price by 100.00 bucks! You won't be able to get the current iPhone 5 at a reduced priced because they are replacing it with apples ghettoPhone or gPhone for short. I think when my contract is up in February next year I might make the switch away from iOS. It's going to suck replacing all my apps.

Smart move by Apple to start moving into the cheaper area. It's the only growth market left for smart phones and it's being completely dominated by Android.

Unfortunately this will probably hurt Windows Phone a bit.

complexmath wrote:
$99 and $199 for the 5C in 16 and 32 GB models, respectively. $199, $299, and $399 for the 5S in 16, 32, and 64 GB models.

That's more of a down payment than a true purchase, because it comes with a contract.

This is perhaps the most boring Apple announcement since the 4S. The 5S at least has a better processor, which is way better than the move from the 4 to 4S. Is it revolutionary? Hardly, but that seems to be where Apple is at with the iPhone right now and it's not entirely their fault. iPhones now have 4G as do 95% of smart phones and the exponential growth we had gotten use to is significantly slowed down and that includes Android. I mean, what does the S4 offer that the S3 doesn't? A bunch of gimmicky gesture based, battery draining things? Oooh, cool, now turn those off.

Face it North America, the iPhone 4C isn't for you, it's an affordable, plastic iPhone meant to sell in the rest of the world.

Really, the star of the show should've been iOS 7, which your current iPhone and iPad will receive (dating back to iPhone 4 or so). It looks new, but it really isn't too much of a change from what you already know. But it looks new.

At the end of the day, for the geek crowd, Apple just isn't where you look for innovation in smartphones. 64-bit processing may be the wave of the future, but for now it just sounds cool, mostly. Sure, the 5S will utilize the 64 bit processor in some neat ways, but will fingerprint unlocking or image processing really wow people? Okay, better pictures than the already stellar picture quality may turn heads. In a couple years the 64-bit move may be more important than it is right now in the next year or so. The problem is the same as what we've seen in pcs: the transition takes a while. I'm sure 64-bit OSes and programs will be norm in the not too distant future, but 32-bit programs will still be supported for a number of years. No need to run out and get the 5S just for this feature. Not yet at least. Time will tell and by then the iPhone 6 will be out.

Problem with contracts in canada/us (im from canada) is you pay for the phone in the month to month pricing regardless. So it makes sense to buy the cheaper phone as the carrier wont lower the month to month even if you bring your own phone.

also installing GM on my ipad and iphone, ya pretty! I wonder if i'll regret losing my jailbreak

64-bitness is not particularly interesting on a phone, at least not yet. You have to conduct this analysis separately for each architecture, but all other things being equal, 64-bit code will usually be a little slower than 32-bit code, because it has to transfer more data to do the same amount of work. Sometimes you'll see large wins, like with crypto code, or with programs that need to hold a great deal of data resident in RAM (at least more than 2GB, possibly more than 4GB, depending on the OS), but in the general case, 64-bit code is worse.

On x86, AMD doubled the number of available registers in the transition, and 64-bit mode also set a new feature baseline for compilers, so you typically end up with a small performance win, overall. The binaries are 30% bigger, but the efficiency improves a little more than that, so you end up with small performance wins most of the time, and occasionally you get HUGE wins.

But that analysis doesn't apply to ARM. 64-bit is better for PCs because x86 sucks so horribly, and I'm not aware that ARM has a similarly screwed-up architecture that can be fixed with that kind of transition. It's apparently a nice, clean, easy-to-program design, so there's no low-hanging fruit to harvest.

It's probably been said 10x over, but the reveals on these events are ruined by every single part leak tracked over the previous 12 months.

(That's partially my fault for reading macrumors every few weeks. So I'll blame myself for that much.)

I jumped from a 3GS to 4S two years back, but I'll probably stick with it for another year -- unless I find iOS 7 performance to be a major issue.

But those $99 (on contract) 5Cs are going to sell like gangbusters for Christmas. Especially for kids. *shudder*

Does the 5C really appeal to anyone? Upfront it's still US$549, which is not what I'd call affordable, especially not when Google is selling the Nexus 4 for less than half that. If you're already spending that kind of money, why wouldn't you stretch to another $100 and get a device that's not essentially a year old already?

Maybe it makes more sense on contract, but for an extra $100 up front (or for a few $ extra per month, which is how it would work here in Australia), it again seems to make a lot more sense to just go with the 5S.

If it really is aimed squarely at the Chinese market, then I wonder if the prices there are a lot lower than they are here.

pneuman wrote:
Does the 5C really appeal to anyone? Upfront it's still US$549, which is not what I'd call affordable, especially not when Google is selling the Nexus 4 for less than half that. If you're already spending that kind of money, why wouldn't you stretch to another $100 and get a device that's not essentially a year old already?

Maybe it makes more sense on contract, but for an extra $100 up front (or for a few $ extra per month, which is how it would work here in Australia), it again seems to make a lot more sense to just go with the 5S.

If it really is aimed squarely at the Chinese market, then I wonder if the prices there are a lot lower than they are here.

I was thinking the same, but iPhone price comparisons between models have never made much sense. $100 more gets you twice the CPU, far better GPU, better camera, better case and a fingerprint sensor. If price is an issue then hang on to the phone for another year.

Zelos wrote:
pneuman wrote:
Does the 5C really appeal to anyone? Upfront it's still US$549, which is not what I'd call affordable, especially not when Google is selling the Nexus 4 for less than half that. If you're already spending that kind of money, why wouldn't you stretch to another $100 and get a device that's not essentially a year old already?

Maybe it makes more sense on contract, but for an extra $100 up front (or for a few $ extra per month, which is how it would work here in Australia), it again seems to make a lot more sense to just go with the 5S.

If it really is aimed squarely at the Chinese market, then I wonder if the prices there are a lot lower than they are here.

I was thinking the same, but iPhone price comparisons between models have never made much sense. $100 more gets you twice the CPU, far better GPU, better camera, better case and a fingerprint sensor. If price is an issue then hang on to the phone for another year.

I don't think you guys understand how many 'free' iPhones get sold. Even though an iPhone 4 is 3 year old tech and running 3G people gobble them up because they're 'free'. And then there are people who spend $100 on a 4S and are stuck with a 3G phone for a couple years when $100 more would've gotten them a significantly more powerful phone.

I just don't get it.

But, yeah, I'm really interested to see how low they go in China.

$100 more gets you twice the CPU, far better GPU, better camera, better case and a fingerprint sensor.

And note that that's a $100 difference on a $2000 commitment.

I was really expecting the 5S to start at 32GB. I was prepped to order it right away but this announcement has me very underwhelmed. On the other hand if I stick with the 4S it's not like ATT is going to stop collecting subsidy fees on a phone I already have paid for in full. I'm very tempted to jump ship, I just wish the Android and Win Mobile platforms had better app support.

Malor wrote:
$100 more gets you twice the CPU, far better GPU, better camera, better case and a fingerprint sensor.

And note that that's a $100 difference on a $2000 commitment.

I guess you could get really pedantic and calculate the NPV of that

But yeah, it's pretty dumb. Anyway, I'm sticking with my Lumia POC.

Pages