Parenting Catch-all

I went with the Wyze camera for baby monitor in preparation for the move to the nursery here in another month.

Turns out a couple people at work have them so I got to see the app first hand yesterday and it looks like it will meet our needs.

mrlogical wrote:

Welp, turns out our pediatrician was not as supportive as I'd expected. They say they do recommend sharing a room for the first six months (although agree that more than that is unnecessary). Despite their recommendation, I'd be comfortable making the move now, ~5-6 weeks early, but my wife does not feel the same way, so 5.5 more weeks or so of crummy sleep ahead. Yay...

Over here in Europe pediatricians are nicknamed pedipanickians: they are trained to look into a general figure or standard graph, and as soon as your kid deviates in one way or another they start to scare the sh*t out of you. For parents with their first baby, this can be ok: you are untrained and don't know everything yet. With a third... you can trust your common sense and general feeling.

As soon as a pedipanickian can show me 'the average child', I will do everything they say. I remember the time they started stating my kid was 'rather tall for her age' (I am 6.5ft, my better half 5.8ft). I suggested we could hit my infant with a hammer back into the ideal growth-graph. They didn't think it was funny.

On topic. SIDS happen and are terrible, but that's why it is called SIDS, and not SIDSBSA (sudden infant death syndrome by sleeping alone). It is good to research the best for your kid, but parental instinct is a power to aknowledge.

Yeah, we have generally found our pediatricians here in Vermont to be way more chill about most things than the one we saw when we lived in Virginia, who we felt just gave whatever answer exposed them to as little legal liability as possible (basically their answer to everything was "take her to the emergency room"), which is part of why I was so surprised they took the more conservative approach here. Were this solely up to my judgment, I'd be comfortable ignoring the doctors on this one, but my wife is concerned and isn't ready to make the switch without approval of our doctor, so I am just resigning myself to six weeks of crappy sleep.

mrlogical wrote:

Yeah, we have generally found our pediatricians here in Vermont to be way more chill about most things than the one we saw when we lived in Virginia, who we felt just gave whatever answer exposed them to as little legal liability as possible (basically their answer to everything was "take her to the emergency room"), which is part of why I was so surprised they took the more conservative approach here. Were this solely up to my judgment, I'd be comfortable ignoring the doctors on this one, but my wife is concerned and isn't ready to make the switch without approval of our doctor, so I am just resigning myself to six weeks of crappy sleep.

Vermont is interesting. I remember how our first pediatrician was so gentle to approach the subject of vaccines with us. We were like "Jab him with whatever." And she gave a noticeable sigh of relief. Circumcision was kind of similar.

You are absolutely right. Pregnancy, giving birth, first months... in this period the misses is a force of nature who is always right, and who deserves to be always right - even if she might be wrong. Period.

Peoj Snamreh wrote:

Over here in Europe pediatricians are nicknamed pedipanickians: they are trained to look into a general figure or standard graph, and as soon as your kid deviates in one way or another they start to scare the sh*t out of you.

#NotAllEurope

Eleima wrote:
Peoj Snamreh wrote:

Over here in Europe pediatricians are nicknamed pedipanickians: they are trained to look into a general figure or standard graph, and as soon as your kid deviates in one way or another they start to scare the sh*t out of you.

#NotAllEurope ;)

That is absolutely true... Certain northern parts of Europe.. there, I said it

My youngest has now had a week free from ear infections and goopy seepage. The first in months. They now will confidently toddle across a room, taking corners, and making dashes for the stairs. The hearing test showed some concerns, but it was unclear if the tubes were interfering. We are scheduled to retest in a few months while we monitor for any concerns.

The eldest turned 3 yesterday. There is to be a party in our home today and we are not ready. The parental units are exhausted.