Elite Dangerous Catch-All

Big tip that I just discovered, there is a cap on the amount of reputation you can get when selling stuff at a station. If you want to go from neutral to allied through trading what matters is the profit you generate. When mining you get stuff for free and sell it at full price so it's easy to raise reputation this way.

At a station buying opals for the full 1.6 million price I was able to go from neutral to allied after selling just 6 opals for a total profit of just under 10 million. However you have to sell them individually as the reputation per transaction is capped somehow. I noticed this when I sold 100 void opals at the same time and didn't even get to friendly. (though it didn't really matter because I shot straight to allied when I sold off my diamonds and other stuff).

This means that mining is probably the quickest and easiest way of raising reputation. The station with the worst sell price for void opals I could find (187k each) is still buying other rare minerals for 200-250k a pop. So if you only need about 10 million in profit to hit allied you just have to find the nearest ring and pick a hotspot for anything but void opals. This would be especially easy in a smaller ship because of the abrasion dupe mechanic.

I haven't had any problems today but I'm also 19kly out, which may have something to do with it?

In other news, first undiscovered ELW for this trip!

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/955226123855387398/0F02C2E119C54A8BF834CA07BCC664CF7C7F1AFF/)

I made two separate mining trips today, each a little under two hours, which included a lot of travel, farting-around time, and general learning how to mine opals.

In each trip I ended up selling exactly 52 void opals, for exactly 86,299,564 CR.

The first trip I was almost killed (jumped away with 26% hull) because I was stupid enough to fight three pirates. I think that normally I would have been OK (none were high-ranked), but with my Python outfitted for mining I only had 1 Pulse Laser and 1 big MC.

One thing I learned (and I think was previously mentioned) was to not bother saving the game in a mining area if you have stuff in your cargo. You need to start in a hot spot with an empty hold, so the pirates can scan you, grumble about their starving children, and leave you alone. The incident mentioned above was because I wanted to continue mining with my half-full hold, to save myself a trip.

Pirates haven't been much of an issue, like you say once they scan your empty ship they just leave. However I did run into one problematic group when I switched from one opal hotspot to another in the same ring. A wing of 3 pirates showed up when I jumped in, but I was able to outrun them despite being in an anaconda. They'll still track you as long as you remain on sensors so I boosted until I was 5km away and then turned on silent running for a while, when I came out of it they were gone. Normally pirates are just bounty-filled pinatas for my highly engineered death fortress but for that particular run I was experimenting with multiple abrasion blasters and had left all of my weapons at home.

Hrdina wrote:

FWIW, I did get a message from you today (to ask whether I had tried mining), and I responded.

Oh I didn't get the return message, I guess the server ate it somewhere down the line.

Tamren wrote:

but for that particular run I was experimenting with multiple abrasion blasters

How did the experiment go?

Okay, so I've put a bit of time in, and I've kept to solo for my safety, but how do I join the private group? I'm guessing I need to friend up Veloxi first? Weird that the game doesn't use your Steam friends.

Wayfarer wrote:

How did the experiment go?

I got the same result as some other threads I've seen. Multiple blasters will duplicate the number of fragments you get. However the timing is really tight, on an anaconda only the two small hardpoints at the rear of the ship can be used, the other mounts are too far apart and can't converge. Your blasters must also be located at the same distance relative to the nose of the ship.

So an Anaconda can mount 2, an Eagle can mount 3, and an AspX can mount 6, however you still need one of the hardpoints to mount the seismic charge launcher so the practical limit is 5 with the AspX.

Gotcha. Yeah, I tried two on the size 3 mounts on the front top and that worked well. 200 mil in about 2 hours today

That sounds like the AspX is a good choice then if you don't want your mining sessions to be very long in duration (my gaming time is pretty tight right now - I've had almost no chance to play since the patch).

Some handy conclusions on core mining, with data!

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteMiners...

Interesting... The biggest takeaway there is that only being in a hotspot matters and even depleted rings have them. Ring quality doesn't seem to affect yield at all.

All Wildcard applications dealt with. Sorry for the delay, they seem to be having some issues with the management. I click accept like four times each until it goes through for each applicant. Thanks to everyone who applied to the Wildcards!

Can you belong to two squadrons at once?

I'm on the Distant Worlds 2 expedition and they have their own squadron to help coordinate things, but it looks like I'll have to leave the Wildcards in order to join theirs.

No, bizarrely you can only join one.

babakotia wrote:

No, bizarrely you can only join one.

Yup, only one it seems, sadly.

Just making sure I wasn't missing something. Looks like I'll have to leave the Wildcards for a bit then.

I'm playing "Tour Guide" on DW2, which means I'm flying a Beluga and letting other players jump in via multi-crew, in case you want to see Sag*A or Beagle Point or whatever but don't want to fly all the way out there yourself. I'll post here when I'm coming up on a POI.

We launch in one week.

Okay, Distant Worlds looks fascinating. I just got to Felicity Farseer though, so I doubt I can get a ship souped up by Jan 13.

I did 26 jumps to get to her yesterday, between the jumps, scans, and scoops it was exhausting. Now it's 51 to get meta-alloys. I'm going to do that one more slowly.

I had signed up quite early on, but real life circumstances mean my gaming time is quite reduced at the moment, so I won't be going. I suspect Frontier will be hiding a few things along the route for explorers to find that haven't already been found from the Codex, so good luck everyone going and I look forward to hearing about your adventures

Will be drifting along on my second account; if you've ever been tempted to explore, but are concerned about losing your ship, these expeditions are a great time to try - tons of support, and people close by deep into the black.

DW is the kind of thing I'd love to take part in, but don't have enough consistent gaming time to keep up with.

So the multi-blaster thing is a bug after all. It's strange that I never saw any official word on the forum or otherwise because people were reporting it constantly. Then again I haven't been looking constantly either so maybe it took them a while to deliberate. Or maybe it was just because everyone was out for Christmas.

In any case that hardly puts a damper on things because the income for mining is still 100+ million per hour. Inara only shows one page of results when you ask for the highest selling price and the list of stations buying opals for 1.6 million is so large it's off the chart.

Tamren wrote:

So the multi-blaster thing is a bug after all. It's strange that I never saw any official word on the forum or otherwise because people were reporting it constantly. Then again I haven't been looking constantly either so maybe it took them a while to deliberate. Or maybe it was just because everyone was out for Christmas.

In any case that hardly puts a damper on things because the income for mining is still 100+ million per hour. Inara only shows one page of results when you ask for the highest selling price and the list of stations buying opals for 1.6 million is so large it's off the chart.

Im not surprised, that doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would be 'normal' or 'expected' behavior. I am glad the high sale prices for core minerals are on purpose and not a glitch to be nerfed to the ground. One of these days i'll have time to get back on and get some mining in.

They did say that prices will eventually even out and we have seen instances where certain stations have dropped down to normal prices thanks to commanders selling there. But I think they vastly overestimated how many stations would be offering these prices, there are more stations than will fit on the list for Inara and even assuming we manage to deplete them all people will just switch to pythons and sell at the outposts instead.

One of my hopes is that if they consider 100 million an hour to be an acceptable income for captains with endgame ships they might go back and rescale all of the other ways of making money to the same standard. Higher ranks and bigger ships should improve income across the board but this is hardly the case for trading, mission board activities and passenger missions outside of a select few instances that were considered bugs and nerfed heavily.

Distant Worlds 2 now has over 10k people signed up...

IMAGE(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/136247755956813824/533698187249057803/dw2_10k.png)

Finally hit a personal goal of a anaconda dedicated for mining, one for combat, and a billion in the bank!
Plus a bunch of other assorted craft. Now I guess it is time to finish the other half of the engineer grind and at least get the guardian FSD booster so I can kit out an explore-a-conda too.

Hey there my dudes, your neighbor from the Praetorian Curiate Assembly checking in. Glad to see you guys are active in 3.3. Do you all have plans for Negasargun? We've noticed that you have not controlled the system in some time.

Well, sadly I was too deeply into other games (Destiny, mostly) to earn my triple elite emblem before heading across the galaxy again, but nevertheless we're off.

Here's (the start of) my album for Distant Worlds 3305, week 1: https://imgur.com/a/khrTdfa

Highlights so far, as we wait for launch in about 20 minutes:

The ZSE Weltall Omega departs from Ray Gateway after final preparations.
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/13KwJ3P.jpg)
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/cWBf76A.jpg)
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/BLPpt7T.jpg)

Arriving at Waypoint 1, Brooks Point in the Pallaeni System.
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/ndvIC3Y.jpg)
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/FIR85tX.jpg)
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/N3eZAlK.jpg)

And, gathering at the Distant Worlds 3302 tourist beacon (also in Pallaeni), which commemorates the launch of the original expedition three years ago.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/8ETYT4l.jpg)
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/e2EjtsC.jpg)
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/EY1MD13.jpg)

And we're off!

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/3T4HObV.jpg)
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/sTwgc8p.jpg)
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/qgRPitP.jpg)

(Video to follow later.)