Elite Dangerous Catch-All

Nope. At work, waiting for these stupid hardware tests to finish so I can go fly spacey pew-pews

Just taking a break, so far everything looks nice new and polished up. Have not tried the CQ yet but things seem different and stable. Though "salvagable wreckage" still gives you stolen goods.

Wife decided tonight is movie night. Game Later... While she sleeps.

First impressions:

1) I have to reboot after installing the patch? Huh?
2) The game loads much faster.
3) It also looks just a little prettier. I wonder where exactly that impression is coming from.
4) Bulletin board missions now have an icon if the mission-giver is aligned with a major faction.

Also, Arissa Lavigny-Duval just got declared Emperor. Anyone think she'll survive long enough to be crowned?

Holy sh*t, that's the faction I'm in. I wonder how this affects PowerPlay.

Veloxi wrote:

Holy sh*t, that's the faction I'm in. I wonder how this affects PowerPlay.

Everyone gets invited to the coronation and all the planets she intends to invade are painted on the plates the celebratory cake is served on?

Ohhhh, cake!

misplacedbravado wrote:

Also, Arissa Lavigny-Duval just got declared Emperor. Anyone think she'll survive long enough to be crowned?

Nope. Nothing like a good war to kick off season 2.

tanstaafl wrote:
misplacedbravado wrote:

Also, Arissa Lavigny-Duval just got declared Emperor. Anyone think she'll survive long enough to be crowned?

Nope. Nothing like a good war to kick off season 2.

I doubt they would kill off a PP faction leader that is doing fairly well.

misplacedbravado wrote:

First impressions:

1) I have to reboot after installing the patch? Huh?
2) The game loads much faster.
3) It also looks just a little prettier. I wonder where exactly that impression is coming from.
4) Bulletin board missions now have an icon if the mission-giver is aligned with a major faction.

Also, Arissa Lavigny-Duval just got declared Emperor. Anyone think she'll survive long enough to be crowned?

I didn't have any issue with rebooting. Just downloaded the new launcher and logged in.
I did not notice it being faster on loading, but yeah— everything does seem prettier, not sure why either.
Love the bulletin board having icons, makes ranking up with the right group easier.

I did not even notice ALD got crowned. Have to check that out.

WOW- "compromised Nav Beacons" may be better than a RES, massive ships, all out fighting.

I booted this up for 10 minutes today after not having played for months. I see talk of player run factions. Is that something I should be doing something for yet or is it not a concern yet?

Veloxi wrote:

Ohhhh, cake!

I love cake!

Wembley wrote:

I booted this up for 10 minutes today after not having played for months. I see talk of player run factions. Is that something I should be doing something for yet or is it not a concern yet?

That's a good question. I'm in Orcus and don't see "our" faction -- anybody know when it's going to be added?

misplacedbravado wrote:
Wembley wrote:

I booted this up for 10 minutes today after not having played for months. I see talk of player run factions. Is that something I should be doing something for yet or is it not a concern yet?

That's a good question. I'm in Orcus and don't see "our" faction -- anybody know when it's going to be added?

I read in the Mobius Forum they have the same issue- was suppose to be up or in according to michael brooks, but there may be a hiccup. Also, though there is no faction there may be missions with our faction name and they have to be done to up our groups rep... not sure if that is true- just adding what someone else wrote/asked. but it does look like it is everyone, not just us.

Also:

Remember that only batch 1 factions will be in game atm.

The batch 2 factions will follow in the coming weeks via a server side update. Their descriptions will be in at 1.5.

I think we may be a batch 2 faction.

CQC is....humbling

Wayfarer wrote:

CQC is....humbling

CQC is awesome.

Well, I learned something interesting tonight.

Prior to 1.4, when you took Kill missions (Pirates, etc), you would jump into the system and your targeting computer would indicate whether a ship was a Mission Target, or simply Wanted. Only the Mission Targets counted toward your mission.

I had a kill mission for 3 Pirates in Katta. I jump in and spend 20 minutes looking around for a Mission Target. I must have let at least 20 Wanted ships go. I finally gave up and jumped to another system where I had a mission. After a few fruitless minutes, I decide to drop into a Compromised Nav Beacon, thinking that's where the Pirates were now.

I still saw no Mission Targets, so decided to take out a couple bounties while I was there. After I killed the first, I checked my left panel and sure enough, it said "Pirates 1/7". $#!^, I said. So, I knocked off a couple more, then came up against an Elite Diamondback. After a few seconds, I hear "WOOMP, WOOMP, WOOMP" and I think my point defense is taking out missiles. Then I noticed that I never got a missile warning, then I noticed that he suddenly took out my shields and compromised my canopy. Rail Gun, I guess.

I high-tailed out of there, got some repairs, then finished up my mission. By this time I was really late for bed. Of course, the last Pirate a killed (a lowly Imperial Eagle) drops two canisters. I was going to ignore them, but checked my Contacts panel. Palladium. I was so excited/tired/in a hurry that I destroyed one of the two.

TL;DR version, don't expect your targeting computer to identify the Mission Targets anymore.

Seeing some weird things post-update. Witnessed my first inside-hanger NPC collision. It was hilarious and somewhat anti-climactic. Then a few minutes later I smacked into the side of the hanger because my vertical thrusters did not cut off as smoothly as I'm used to and I did not have enough room to compensate. No harm done, but now I'm wondering if I need to change my docking 'procedure' to account for drift.

Edit: Also, systems I had scanned show no data. My legacy bounty either expired or was negated, unless that doesn't show up anywhere unless I'm in the relevant system. My stats show that I've done 21 assassinations... for 313K. So either I'm a dirt-cheap killer, or my one assassination mission turned out to be some kind of hive being.

Edit2: and all of a sudden I am getting huge loading delays in the jump transitions. A minute in the jump screen. Almost two minutes to drop out of frame-shift. Which is infuriating when you've decided to do one more quick Bulletin Board mission before work. One jump, 85K. Too sweet to pass up.
If these loading times are normal and I've just been lucky playing during a lull then I might be done.

I was thinking about what people said about powering down the shield cell bank until you need it. Couldn't you program a (admittedly long) Voice Attack macro to activate it?

I spend about 20 minutes in a RES and took out 640,000 worth of bounties including a Python and my first Fer-der-Lance. I'm really hoping that is a sign that bounty hunting will be even more lucrative.

With Order of Mobius based in Azrael and us in Orcus, I begin to suspect that the hardcore PvP groups will be in systems with names like Bunnystar and Fluffyville.

Any good RES systems outside of Orcus? The ones in Orcus, even the so call "high intensity" ones are anything but. Interested to hear where people are making money with them.

Nevin73 wrote:

I was thinking about what people said about powering down the shield cell bank until you need it. Couldn't you program a (admittedly long) Voice Attack macro to activate it?

The UI memorizes where you were the last time you accessed the systems panels. Since the macro would have to basically be scrolling through the tabs, then the modules, I don't think it would work consistently unless you programmed it to go back to default position as well. Also if you have multiple ships with different systems, or change them out, the position may not be the same.

Once you get used to the controls, its actually quite easy to do in in flight. Having gone from x360 controller to a HOTAS i thought i'd never get used to it on the new device, but after a few days it was second nature.

Oh, any thoughts of trying to get together a GWJ CQC session? I tried it for the first time last night.. wow.. fun, but its pretty easy to die.

Once you get used to the controls, its actually quite easy to do in in flight. Having gone from x360 controller to a HOTAS i thought i'd never get used to it on the new device, but after a few days it was second nature.

And easier still with head tracking. You prepare things so that you are on the correct tab with the module highlighted, and then you just look right and click once to toggle. Simple as that.

Here's the information Gremlin prepped on Orcus again in case anyone wants it. (Might be good to add to the OP?)

Basic description of the system
Spreadsheet of nearby shipyards, outfitters, RES locations, and economies
Screencap of the nearby map

If I can pull myself away from CQC, I suppose I ought to go check things out over there.

----

Speaking of stuff that might be useful for the OP:

During my hiatus from the game, I've been parked in a system called Aymifa. Aymifa is one of several system that generate almost nothing but charity missions, making them ideal for people with money to burn who want to rank up with a faction (Aymifa is an Imperial charity farm). Anyway, here are two links with a TON of info on how the faction ranks work, and ways to cheese your way up through the ranks.

Fast ranking tips (including a list of charity farm locations)
More details on the guts of the ranking system

I've seen some amusing NPC names lately:
Ron Mexico - this one literally had me laughing out loud
Thara Krace

zeroKFE wrote:

Here's the information Gremlin prepped on Orcus again in case anyone wants it. (Might be good to add to the OP?)

Basic description of the system
Spreadsheet of nearby shipyards, outfitters, RES locations, and economies
Screencap of the nearby map

If I can pull myself away from CQC, I suppose I ought to go check things out over there.

----

Speaking of stuff that might be useful for the OP:

During my hiatus from the game, I've been parked in a system called Aymifa. Aymifa is one of several system that generate almost nothing but charity missions, making them ideal for people with money to burn who want to rank up with a faction (Aymifa is an Imperial charity farm). Anyway, here are two links with a TON of info on how the faction ranks work, and ways to cheese your way up through the ranks.

Fast ranking tips (including a list of charity farm locations)
More details on the guts of the ranking system

OP has been updated.

I feel like I've been sitting at Baron forever. I generally take a few empire missions whenever I'm around, and almost always do Charity if there's one available in the system I'm in. Do the Imperial Navy quests pop up at any Empire station or do I have to go closer to Achenar?

Carlbear95 wrote:

I feel like I've been sitting at Baron forever. I generally take a few empire missions whenever I'm around, and almost always do Charity if there's one available in the system I'm in. Do the Imperial Navy quests pop up at any Empire station or do I have to go closer to Achenar?

Should be at any Imperial station.

Really, though, things get very, very slow after Baron. Getting from Baron to Viscount to Count probably took at least as long as getting to Baron did in the first place, and I've been at Count ever since, even after seriously abusing things at Amyifa.

(Here's the dirty trick: you get a new batch of bulletin board missions if you exit to menu, then connect in a different game mode. So, if you sit at a station that generates tons of charity missions, you can just log out and in in different modes and farm the crap out of them. Supposedly you get more rank experience on a per mission basis from missions that require you to actually do something other than give money or buy and give food items, but on a per time and energy spent basis, this is almost certainly the fastest way to rank up.)

My hope was to reach Earl or maybe Marquis before leaving Aymifa, but now that I'm getting back into the game, I might just postpone that a bit. My current goal is to be able to buy a Cutter when 1.5 drops, and while I'll almost certainly need to be one of those ranks (or maybe even higher) to do so, I'll also almost certainly need a metric ass-ton more cash, particularly if I don't want to sell a few of my current ships.