iPad Games (and Apps) Catch All

oilypenguin wrote:

I just finished Bastion on PC on Tuesday. It was an absolutely wonderful experience and WELL worth $5.

I need an old man narrator in my life. "He woke up in the middle of the night and had to pee. Times like this call for action..."

Here is the Appyspy review of Bastion.

I have picked it up but who knows when I will actually get around to playing it!

farley3k wrote:

I have heard that type of comment before which means I might have to turn up the sound on my iPad for the first time in months.

Bastion requires sound. The narrator is such an integral part of the gaming experience playing without it would be akin to playing most games with your eyes closed.

So, I managed to play about 30 minutes of Bastion at lunch, and holy crap.

The new control scheme is different, touch to move, double tap to evade, auto attacks when things are in range, melee as well as ranged. 3 virtual buttons, 1 for Shield, 1 for special attack and 1 for weapon switching.

The classic control scheme is the standard fare of virtual stick + virtual buttons. I honestly don't know which one I like better.

I'm a little on edge with how precise the controls are. I've been trying to do the Breaker Proving Grounds, and I don't know if it's the virtual stick or me that's not being accurate (probably me)

Other than that little niggle, the opening was a whole lot of fun, and now I can't wait to get further in!

Well, I think I'm done with Puzzle Craft. I was playing last night, and had to close it in the middle of farming. Went back in just now, and everything about my progress is now gone. Town name and town itself are blank. Looks like this is a pretty widespread bug. Supposedly there's a fix waiting for apple approval.

Even if it comes out, I don't know if I want to start again, since I don't trust the game not to lose my progress again. Kind of regret spending the money on it.

Chaz wrote:

Well, I think I'm done with Puzzle Craft. I was playing last night, and had to close it in the middle of farming. Went back in just now, and everything about my progress is now gone. Town name and town itself are blank. Looks like this is a pretty widespread bug. Supposedly there's a fix waiting for apple approval.

Even if it comes out, I don't know if I want to start again, since I don't trust the game not to lose my progress again. Kind of regret spending the money on it.

I've been playing a ton of Puzzle Craft, and I recently hit level 20. If that happened to me, I'd be upset too; however, I've certainly got my $1.00 out of it.

Just received this notification...

AppShopper is pleased to alert you of a Wish List Price Drop ($9.99 -> $4.99) for the “Avernum: Escape From the Pit HD” App.

AppShopper: http://appshopper.com/games/avernum-...

iTunes: http://appshopper.com/link/avernum-e...

Also, it looks like Galaxy on Fire 2 is now correctly registering for 99c, so those that missed it, jump on it now.

Atari's Greatest Hits for free today!

IMAGE(http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/061/Purple/v4/4b/e1/8b/4be18bcc-2007-f1b8-1da7-d844bb949ea9/mzl.toyijver.320x480-75.jpg)

Chaz wrote:

Well, I think I'm done with Puzzle Craft. I was playing last night, and had to close it in the middle of farming. Went back in just now, and everything about my progress is now gone. Town name and town itself are blank. Looks like this is a pretty widespread bug. Supposedly there's a fix waiting for apple approval.

Even if it comes out, I don't know if I want to start again, since I don't trust the game not to lose my progress again. Kind of regret spending the money on it.

If it makes you feel any better, the update also comes with an 'apology' from the Devs, and 5000 in game coins (an in App purchase with a face value of $2.99). Not too shabby.

m0nk3yboy wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, the update also comes with an 'apology' from the Devs, and 5000 in game coins (an in App purchase with a face value of $2.99). Not too shabby.

I built my castle yesterday and then installed the update. Ready for part 2.

HAPPY LABOR DAY KNIZIA GAME GIVEAWAY!

I'd like to give back to the folks who make this website so fun to frequent. Recently, there was some discussion in the iPad thread on Reiner Knizia the boardgame designer: his highs, his lows, his ups, his downs. Since I'm a huge Knizia fan, I thought I'd offer up four games of his which, for now, I can live without. I feel it's unfair for me to hide these away in my gaming hoard when others could be playing them, and it's my way of spreading the gospel of Knizia to those dark, benighted areas of the Continental U.S. ignorant of his commandments (or, if you must, rules.)

The free games available are:

Colossal Arena Condition: Acceptable; cards and box scuffed through repeated play. Capsule description: Exceedingly abstracted wagering game with fantastic art, but zero actual bloodshed.

Tower of Babel Condition: Very Good; Box corners scuffed a bit. Capsule description: set collection and bidding with a very cool theme.

Municipium Condition: Good; no drawstring in bag; metal coins. Capsule description: Area influence set in ancient Rome.

Beowulf: the Legend Condition: Very Good (signed with art by John Howe). Capsule description: Probably the most "wtf?" game on BGG that actually works. It's a game about Beowulf, but the main mechanic is auctions. Fascinating!

Terms & Conditions:

1) One per Goodjer, first come, first served.
2) No Coffee Grinders, please.
3) Please PM me with your first and second choices. I have no idea how much interest there will be.
4) I will ship media mail or thereabouts. Continental U.S. only
5) I don't want to clutter up this or the Board Games thread with questions, so please PM me and I'll get right back to you.
6) I will contact winners via PM and make notes and edits in this post.
7) Play them!

Have a great holiday, and enjoy some great gaming, Knizia or no!

Natus wrote:

HAPPY LABOR DAY KNIZIA GAME GIVEAWAY!

I'd like to give back to the folks who make this website so fun to frequent. Recently, there was some discussion in the iPad thread on Reiner Knizia the boardgame designer: his highs, his lows, his ups, his downs. Since I'm a huge Knizia fan, I thought I'd offer up four games of his which, for now, I can live without. I feel it's unfair for me to hide these away in my gaming hoard when others could be playing them, and it's my way of spreading the gospel of Knizia to those dark, benighted areas of the Continental U.S. ignorant of his commandments (or, if you must, rules.)

The free games available are:

Colossal Arena Condition: Acceptable; cards and box scuffed through repeated play. Capsule description: Exceedingly abstracted wagering game with fantastic art, but zero actual bloodshed.

Tower of Babel Condition: Very Good; Box corners scuffed a bit. Capsule description: set collection and bidding with a very cool theme.

Municipium Condition: Good; no drawstring in bag; metal coins. Capsule description: Area influence set in ancient Rome.

Beowulf: the Legend Condition: Very Good (signed with art by John Howe). Capsule description: Probably the most "wtf?" game on BGG that actually works. It's a game about Beowulf, but the main mechanic is auctions. Fascinating!

Terms & Conditions:

1) One per Goodjer, first come, first served.
2) No Coffee Grinders, please.
3) Please PM me with your first and second choices. I have no idea how much interest there will be.
4) I will ship media mail or thereabouts. Continental U.S. only
5) I don't want to clutter up this or the Board Games thread with questions, so please PM me and I'll get right back to you.
6) I will contact winners via PM and make notes and edits in this post.
7) Play them!

Have a great holiday, and enjoy some great gaming, Knizia or no!

Very nice of you, FWIW, Colossal Arena is a phenomenal 3-player game.

King of Dragon Pass just went from iPhone-only to universal.

misplacedbravado wrote:

King of Dragon Pass just went from iPhone-only to universal.

Is it worth $10? I remember hearing good things.

I picked it up a long time ago and I am ashamed to admit I played it for 10-20 minutes and then got bored reading all the text and haven't gotten back to it.

lostlobster wrote:

Is it worth $10? I remember hearing good things.

I've spent quite a bit of time with it... it is good. If you like that type of game then yes, I would say it is definitely worth $10. There is a lot of depth to explore in the systems at play... that said... Once you've played a few games there's a certain sense of repetition that just isn't mitigated by the 'random' characters that act as your council. The names and traits quickly become abstracted to what they do for you and the charm fades into the background as you grind through years to achieve your goals.

Personally? Unless you've got an immediate hankering to play I'd put it on my watch-list and wait for at least a bit of a price reduction. I would also suggest finding some screens or play-vids online to give you an idea of what you'll be dealing with. Most of the game is reading and making decisions based on the context and your chosen alignments... you'll love it or hate it unless you kind of enjoy it and then get distracted by other stuff.

While you can pick it up and play in small bursts, maintaining any sense of continuity can be tricky if you put it down for longer periods. There's a 'diary' of sorts that tracks your decisions, but remembering what it was you were working towards at that point can be tricky after a game or two.

lostlobster wrote:
misplacedbravado wrote:

King of Dragon Pass just went from iPhone-only to universal.

Is it worth $10? I remember hearing good things.

I would say no, at least compared to other prices on the app store. It is a nicely done game and I put about 90 minutes into it, but either it is just not for me or there is not enough game there to keep me engaged. It is neat how they interweave the story elements into your decisions but... just eh feeling.

lostlobster wrote:
misplacedbravado wrote:

King of Dragon Pass just went from iPhone-only to universal.

Is it worth $10? I remember hearing good things.

I've put like 6-7 hours over multiple plays over the years, first on the PC, then on iOS. Repetition does get a hold of you after a while as you start to see the same events happen. Watch for a sale, but once it is definitely get it and play it for its unique mechanics.

lostlobster wrote:
misplacedbravado wrote:

King of Dragon Pass just went from iPhone-only to universal.

Is it worth $10? I remember hearing good things.

I think it'll greatly depend on the player. It's an strategically deep and intricate game the likes of which I don't think I've found elsewhere. It's the same game that was released in 1999 on the PC.

There's strategy, role-playing, and storytelling galore. I've played a few games...enough to know that there are a lot of systems around which to wrap your head. Luckily, given its lineage, it's easy enough to find guides on the net. The in-game tutorial works well enough, and the use of storytelling as the core gameplay mechanic makes it reasonably easy to muddle through for a bit. Eventually, you'll have to delve into the history and mythology of the world (Hero quests, etc) and learn how to manage your various resources to thrive.

All of that said, I think you can find the original game on GOG for $6. It's also worth noting that it's maintained 5 stars with 170 reviews there.

This is one of those games from the 90s that my friends always bring up with a sigh and a smile. I didn't play it back then, so I was really excited to see it on iOS. The only reason I haven't played it a ton is that they announced the universal build. I've been biding my time for a native iPad release, so I'll be putting my time in soon!

So are there any good games that are similar to Avalon Hill's Diplomacy board game? I would cry manly tears of joy if that game got a good iOS port with asynchronous game play.

Staked wrote:

So are there any good games that are similar to Avalon Hill's Diplomacy board game? I would cry manly tears of joy if that game got a good iOS port with asynchronous game play.

No app that I am aware of but http://www.playdiplomacy.com/

/tissue

oilypenguin wrote:
Staked wrote:

So are there any good games that are similar to Avalon Hill's Diplomacy board game? I would cry manly tears of joy if that game got a good iOS port with asynchronous game play.

No app that I am aware of but http://www.playdiplomacy.com/

/tissue

Whoa. Thanks for that link!

Staked wrote:
oilypenguin wrote:
Staked wrote:

So are there any good games that are similar to Avalon Hill's Diplomacy board game? I would cry manly tears of joy if that game got a good iOS port with asynchronous game play.

No app that I am aware of but http://www.playdiplomacy.com/

/tissue

Whoa. Thanks for that link!

*squee*

Where are the manly tears of joy we were promised?!?!?!?

bigred wrote:

Where are the manly tears of joy we were promised?!?!?!?

There were so many he shorted out his keyboard :O

bigred wrote:

Where are the manly tears of joy we were promised?!?!?!?

I promised manly tears of joy for an iPad app. The website did get some manly sniffles, though!

Rayman Jungle Run
Platforms: iOS, Android
Developer: Ubisoft Montpelier & Pastagames
Category: action arcade
Release date: Sept. 20

IMAGE(http://moveyourpixel.fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/6a01310ffb1fb0970c0177448b2b3e970d-500wi.png)

IMAGE(http://lovespervertedoldmen.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/schwing.jpg?w=219)

Looks every bit as pretty as the 360 version. Colour me happy!

Is this an endless runner? It does look great.

Kind of.

It's like the treasure-chasing levels from Origins.

You auto run and use the button to jump, punch, etc.

Instead of endless running you get 40 levels spread over 4 worlds.