Post a quote, that could have just been text but instead for some stupid reason is an image, entertain me!

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Z9xpm86.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/yRwca2R.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/iAizveY.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/mPwlwY7.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/UraltJg.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/8SF4BZv.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/MgjNFUW.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/DDNYZz5.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Wj1zcAN.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/M0UzIr2.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/c3nM8Wy.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/AxLCVEH.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Ak5zKga.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.redditmedia.com/AFDGN-fbvXHGtCwVMHlOjWlWeuxSmwM6ybQ75fzhZ3g.png?w=1024&s=abaea46f81c9455e2adc3f385ac3afb3)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/QKmQeUe.jpg)

One of my favorite things about Chicago is that we have Aldermen.

farley3k wrote:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Q5lqVKF.png)

This is a large plot element to a comic book I wrote like fifteen years ago.

ruhk wrote:

This is a large plot element to a comic book I wrote like fifteen years ago.

I had an idea like this about Anti-Gravity a while back, how the creator of "anti-gravity shoes" goes hurling away from the earth when they demonstrate them for the first time (or rather, the earth goes hurling away from them, orbiting the sun at 60,000 mph and all)

Alz wrote:
ruhk wrote:

This is a large plot element to a comic book I wrote like fifteen years ago.

I had an idea like this about Anti-Gravity a while back, how the creator of "anti-gravity shoes" goes hurling away from the earth when they demonstrate them for the first time (or rather, the earth goes hurling away from them, orbiting the sun at 60,000 mph and all)

I think if someone lost gravity but maintained momentum, they'd appear to slowly lift off and accelerate upwards from the POV of a surface observer.

Nothing slow about it. They'd accelerate directly upwards at 9.8m/s^2

ruhk wrote:
farley3k wrote:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Q5lqVKF.png)

This is a large plot element to a comic book I wrote like fifteen years ago.

This has been my argument against the possibility of time travel for years!

You'd have to have knowledge of some kind of universal inertial origin of the universal frame of reference down to planet or human sized precision to be able to properly plot out a course, through time and space, that takes into account all of the motions.

Jonman wrote:

Nothing slow about it. They'd accelerate directly upwards at 9.8m/s^2

I'm in the momentum camp. They were already traveling along with the earth, then gravity was switched off. If they stop pushing with their legs, they aren't going to move. If they are still pushing with their legs, then they'll accellerate upwards until they can no longer push.

Addendum, I've not accounted for uh... angular momentum. (Look, it's been a LONG TIME since Physics class.)

Fext + Fgrav = m*(V_dot + W x V + W_dot x Rcg + W x W x Rcg)
Mext + Mgrav = I*W_dot + W x I*W + m*Rcg x (V_dot + W x V)

where:
F = forces
M = moment
m = mass matrix
V = linear velocity vector of local frame in inertial frame expressed in local frame
W = angular velocity vector of local frame in inertial frame expressed in local frame
Rcg is location of CG relative to local frame origin

and x is a cross product operator.

Set the left sides of both to zero and solve for both V_dot and W_dot and you'll have your answer.

edit: "What do you mean you don't know how quickly you're moving relative to the inertial frame?!"

deftly wrote:
Alz wrote:
ruhk wrote:

This is a large plot element to a comic book I wrote like fifteen years ago.

I had an idea like this about Anti-Gravity a while back, how the creator of "anti-gravity shoes" goes hurling away from the earth when they demonstrate them for the first time (or rather, the earth goes hurling away from them, orbiting the sun at 60,000 mph and all)

I think if someone lost gravity but maintained momentum, they'd appear to slowly lift off and accelerate upwards from the POV of a surface observer.

Wouldn't they test this on something not-them first?

maverickz wrote:
ruhk wrote:
farley3k wrote:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Q5lqVKF.png)

This is a large plot element to a comic book I wrote like fifteen years ago.

This has been my argument against the possibility of time travel for years!

You'd have to have knowledge of some kind of universal inertial origin of the universal frame of reference down to planet or human sized precision to be able to properly plot out a course, through time and space, that takes into account all of the motions.

Not to mention daylight savings, leap seconds and time dilation from velocity and gravity. f*ck time.

Mixolyde wrote:
maverickz wrote:
ruhk wrote:
farley3k wrote:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Q5lqVKF.png)

This is a large plot element to a comic book I wrote like fifteen years ago.

This has been my argument against the possibility of time travel for years!

You'd have to have knowledge of some kind of universal inertial origin of the universal frame of reference down to planet or human sized precision to be able to properly plot out a course, through time and space, that takes into account all of the motions.

Not to mention daylight savings, leap seconds and time dilation from velocity and gravity. f*ck time.

Should time travel ever actually exist I think Terence Mckenna had the most likely concept for it (which the ending of The Invisibles is loosely based on). He viewed time travel like a transit system- You could only travel from one time machine to another, so we won’t see any time travelers until some unlucky scientist switches on the first successful time machine prototype and BAM! An infinite amount of time tourists from the future start pouring out of it to sightsee the first time machine and history collapses under a wave of flesh.

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXyMm-PVQAEhnq4.jpg:large)

Funny, but I'm unsure why Shuri would give a sh*t about Tony Stark. She could just make whatever it was she was thinking of.

Doesn’t mean she can’t get overexcited about an idea and want to go around telling everyone about it with friend. She’s still a teen, after all.

"Gremlin” wrote:

IMAGE(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXyMm-PVQAEhnq4.jpg)[/url]

After all this time travel talk, I, at first, read that as Peter breaking into a scream in the middle of his sentence rather than him telling Tony to stop screaming. It made for a very different scene.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/pcqZNTW.jpg)

Get out while you still can!

Is this the same Alexa system that's been laughing recently for reasons nobody can determine?

I'm sure it's fine.....

Apparently if you ask it if it works for the CIA, it red rings and shuts off.

Rat Boy wrote:

Apparently if you ask it if it works for the CIA, it red rings and shuts off.

That's the NSA, the CIA uses humans to listen to you order lube and waffles online.

IMAGE(https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28471641_419434111839140_331411518947624808_n.jpg?oh=1c5f3c349b32ddeaa26347d3e49b0a76&oe=5B430890)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/O30Mq3E.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/W7T3hxy.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/hsgzoiX.png)

meta

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/f3TysMg.jpg)

farley3k wrote:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/f3TysMg.jpg)

The grammar in that post is making my eye twitch.

Remember it's you and the listener versus the grammar, not you and the grammar versus the listener.

Well played, sir.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/Lq1vHpf.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/foL2FWe.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/LRyYlyo.png)