Tennessee Game Days 2014: More Done than a Discount Pork Chop

Pages

UPDATE: Use this google doc for arrival coordination

Guess what? Registration is already available for Tennessee's most totally awesome, oft-imitated-but-never-replicated board game con, Tennessee Game Days!

We had several GWJers up last year for a uproariously fun weekend, and we are already expecting at least twice as many this year. Games, Hot Chicken, PitchCar, and Tennessee Fried Rice (maybe not that last one) for everyone!

What is this most venerable of institutions known as Tennessee Game Days, you ask? Well, it's a large board game con that takes place over a weekend in March. This year, it's March 14th-16th. Last year saw something like 250 attendees and they expect even more this year (and have expanded the convention hall space to boot).

It's a supremely organized and well-run event, with a large game library and even with flags for you to plant if you need players and/or teachers for a game. Kid-friendly, to boot, with a special kids gaming area featuring a library more focused in that genre. There are usually lots of crokinole tables, as well as several events like gaming tours and Netrunner tourneys.

The hotel is one of the nicer ones as well, and the current Super Early Bird special knocks an additional $25 a night off the cost of the hotel room.

In other words, you can't afford NOT to go!

Watch this space for more information as it becomes available. Here's a link to last year's thread if you want to read about some of the shenanigans we got up to.

EDIT: It's worth noting that there are a lot of hotels in the Cool Springs area (I mean a lot), and some of them can be had for $50 a night or so.

EDIT 2: All early bird specials are now sold out. Sorry, slackers!

Here are a few choice quotes from last year's attendees:

Stilgar Black wrote:
Yessss, yessss, yesss. Such a great convention, so well run.

A Classy Lady wrote:
this was an amazing event that I'm really glad I went to. I will definitely be doing everything in my power to get down there again next year :D

carrotpanic wrote:
Sheep on pig on pig is the real devil's three-way.

psoplayer wrote:
The chicken has never been hotter and I've never been more excited.

all the little babbies, after eating Hot Chicken wrote:
Ow, my rectum!

Yessss, yessss, yesss. Such a great convention, so well run.

Signed up last month as soon as I got the email from the organizers. Probably will not have the family in tow this time.

I'll be rolling into town Thursday night and leaving Sunday night. Woo!

My sister and her BF have plans to drive over from Cookeville for the weekend. Maybe even some longtime friends driving in from Memphis. I'll be there too, of course.

The chicken has never been hotter and I've never been more excited.

Sold.
I'll corrupt your children, feast on your hot chicken and grab stacks on stacks from the afghani populace.

Tagged, if I get a minor windfall between now and March

Casa del Trichy is open for business. We've got more space this year, and we welcome the swarm of Goodjers into the fold. I promise less than a 5% chance that you will end up brushing your teeth with One Direction toothpaste.

I should be there!

Barring that I am moving into my new place then.

Hmm....maybe?

This sounds really cool. I know I couldn't do several days, but I'm close enough I might be able to swing down for a day trip. I currently am very deprived of quality board gaming, considering that my wife refuses and my kids just aren't old enough to appreciate a five hour Risk game.

Gumbie wrote:
Hmm....maybe?

Don't be weird dude.
Bring dip, beer and chicken.

boogle wrote:
Gumbie wrote:
Hmm....maybe?

Don't be weird dude.
Bring dip, beer and chicken.

Get your ass down here, Gumbie! We'll play some games, share some laughs, and Boogle will totes let you be the little spoon.

Maybe trichy will punch you in the face with his cast!

You know I'm in! Already registered

..although now I can't find the damn e-mail confirmation.

Yay!!! I actually have this planned in for next year. Wife is busy that weekend, so I'll probably drive in Friday night and get in at least all day Saturday and probably most of Sunday.

Minarchist wrote:
Maybe trichy will punch you in the face with his cast!

No cast this year. I'll have to figure out how to defeat Jen another way...

You don't know that for sure.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I cannot confirm my availability this far out, but I am definitely interested.

trichy wrote:
Minarchist wrote:
Maybe trichy will punch you in the face with his cast!

No cast this year. I'll have to figure out how to defeat Jen another way...

You could always just get a fake cast, y'know.

Just an FYI, looks like all the early-bird specials are still open on registration. Get 'em while they're hot(ter than a billy goat's ass in a pepper patch)!

Also, title colloquialism update.

Also also, 9-player Eclipse! YOUR SHIPS WILL BE DEFEATED

I bought a ticket, I assume that is all I will need to do to frighten Trichy's kids from his couch.

boogle wrote:
I bought a ticket, I assume that is all I will need to do to frighten Trichy's kids from his couch.

You've clearly not met my youngest. There's a slim possibility your ear will adorn her wall with the others.

trichy wrote:
boogle wrote:
I bought a ticket, I assume that is all I will need to do to frighten Trichy's kids from his couch.

You've clearly not met my youngest. There's a slim possibility your ear will adorn her wall with the others.
Say these words to whoever kills me.
They will know what they mean.
Klatu barada necktie.

THE DATE DRAWS NEAR!

Other than Boogle dying at the hands of my 11-year-old daughter, we can plan some other events. Hot chicken and the like. Also, we may have room for one more at my place, so if you're thinking of attending, let me know.

I guess I need to actually register huh... And tell my sister that my niece needs to find other accomodations so I can sleep in her room instead of on the couch... she is almost 18 months so I'm sure she can stay with a friend or something...

manta173 wrote:
I guess I need to actually register huh... And tell my sister that my niece needs to find other accomodations so I can sleep in her room instead of on the couch... she is almost 18 months so I'm sure she can stay with a friend or something...

Just let her graze in the backyard!

trichy wrote:
manta173 wrote:
I guess I need to actually register huh... And tell my sister that my niece needs to find other accomodations so I can sleep in her room instead of on the couch... she is almost 18 months so I'm sure she can stay with a friend or something...

Just let her graze in the backyard!

I know it sounds strange to an Alabaman, but that's just how it works in Tennessee.

psoplayer wrote:
trichy wrote:
manta173 wrote:
I guess I need to actually register huh... And tell my sister that my niece needs to find other accomodations so I can sleep in her room instead of on the couch... she is almost 18 months so I'm sure she can stay with a friend or something...

Just let her graze in the backyard!

I know it sounds strange to an Alabaman, but that's just how it works in Tennessee.


In Alabama, they toss the kids in the pig pen and just let nature take its course... We like our children free-range.

ANYway…

For those who were there last year, I got all the Pitchcar stuff this Christmas, and now my 5-year-old daughter asks to play it every single day. It warms my heart, it does.

Do you beat her mercilessly like you did to us?

Well, I do beat her, but I'm pretty sure she's better than any of you lot.

Pages