Pixar and Dreamworks films discussions

Since my son can now sit through full movies, we are going to take him to see it. Now I just have to figure out if he'll wear the 3D glasses, because daddy wants to see it in 3d.

Dominic Knight wrote:

Do you get sick seeing it in 3D? I know I do, but somehow managed to make it through this movie in 3D.

I get really nasty headaches. Doesn't take very long either, usually about five to ten minutes.

Thin_J wrote:
Dominic Knight wrote:

Do you get sick seeing it in 3D? I know I do, but somehow managed to make it through this movie in 3D.

I get really nasty headaches. Doesn't take very long either, usually about five to ten minutes.

I get the same way. More nauseous than anything though. We were on a band trip in high school and went to go see a 3D IMAX film that was under the sea sort of thing. Let's just say I left in the first 5 minutes and spent my time in the lobby with a friend and a chaperone. We had fun though.

hope this hasnt been posted yet:
IMAGE(http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/768/1240680437809.gif)

Pretty much how I feel, Dreamworks is just popcorn movies at best.

Mex wrote:

Pretty much how I feel, Dreamworks is just popcorn movies at best.

I would have agreed with this right up until I saw Kung Fu Panda.

Hahahah. That's awesome Mex.

Although I think Kung-Fu Panda was Dreamworks best film. Otherwise I haven't been a fan of their stuff.

I liked the original Shrek, but I'd have to agree with that assessment for most of their stuff.

On Pixar, though, gotta go with Ratatouille and The Incredibles as my faves. The Incredibles had some things in it that I was rather surprised to hear; particularly when Syndrome says "And when everyone's special....no one will be." I wanted to stand up and clap in the theatre, but that's probably frowned upon.

I liked the original Shrek, but I'd have to agree with that assessment for most of their stuff.

I did too, when it came out, but have you watched it again recently? It's sooo dated. Pop culture references...

Minarchist wrote:

I liked the original Shrek, but I'd have to agree with that assessment for most of their stuff.

On Pixar, though, gotta go with Ratatouille and The Incredibles as my faves. The Incredibles had some things in it that I was rather surprised to hear; particularly when Syndrome says "And when everyone's special....no one will be." I wanted to stand up and clap in the theatre, but that's probably frowned upon.

The Incredibles was definitely amazing and I was glad they went that route with the dialogue that most wouldn't. It's one of those things I love about Pixar. Not to mention it was around the time that a lot of people were saying "Everyone's a Winner."

Dominic Knight wrote:

Not to mention it was around the time that a lot of people were saying "Everyone's a Winner."

Yeah, I'm not sure that's stopped.

Minarchist wrote:
Dominic Knight wrote:

Not to mention it was around the time that a lot of people were saying "Everyone's a Winner."

Yeah, I'm not sure that's stopped.

Which is really unfortunate that it hasn't occured to people that no matter how much praise and "honor" you give a kid, their grades won't get any better if they're a slacker.

Has anyone gone to go see UP? I might go see it today with my mom, since she really doesn't have much to do in terms of work today. We'll see though.

If you did go see it, what'd you think of it?

I'll update this post later if I do go see it today.

I plan to see it, but everything I've heard is that it meets and exceeds expectations.

I plan on seeing it today with some friends.

I was told via the San Francisco Bay Guardian that Up is brilliant but going to see it in 3D is a waste of your time, and distracts from the movie itself. They said the first ten minutes or so is the most beautiful thing that Pixar has ever produced - and considering, you know, ALL OF WALL-E, this is quite an achievement IMHO.

Being younger than some of the other posters on these board (ahem), Toy Story WAS my childhood. My Woody doll sleeps on my bed. As such, I am excited for Toy Story 3 because, whilst it is a sequel, Pixar has never disappointed me.

VDOWhoNeedsDD wrote:

I was told via the San Francisco Bay Guardian that Up is brilliant but going to see it in 3D is a waste of your time, and distracts from the movie itself. They said the first ten minutes or so is the most beautiful thing that Pixar has ever produced - and considering, you know, ALL OF WALL-E, this is quite an achievement IMHO.

Being younger than some of the other posters on these board (ahem), Toy Story WAS my childhood. My Woody doll sleeps on my bed. As such, I am excited for Toy Story 3 because, whilst it is a sequel, Pixar has never disappointed me.

I'm with you actually. I grew up on Toy Story and Pixar films.

It does bug me that they are making a third Toy Story, and I know that it's a choice more or less forced upon Pixar by Disney. In that respect, I view the lesser of the Pixar films, such as Cars, A Bug's Life, and Toy Story 2 not so much as "Pixar" movies as they are "Disney" movies. Basically any movie with a musical number in it or a sequel screams "Disney made us do it!" I remember hearing John Lasseter claim they will never do sequels because the stories are always too new for older characters and sequels prevent them from pushing the envelope in animation and CG in general (they have to stay somewhat within the style of the original, which can be very restricting). That was 6 years ago, then Disney stepped back in. Thus, Cars got a tacked-on musical number (also the first Pixar film made since they joined back up with Disney). And all the sequels so far appear to be solely of those movies originally made under the Disney partnership.

All that said, though, I'm sure Toy Story 3 won't be horrible, but it certainly won't be on the same level as Wall-E, The Incredibles, or Ratatouille. Like them or not, the one thing you have to give Pixar is that they have excellent writers and directors. They can take any turd and turn it into gold one way or another...

Oh yeah-- I REALLY want to see Up.

Just got back from Up. Was extremely well done. Lots of laughs and excellent emotional scenes. One of my favourite Pixar movies but I'm partial to movies with adventure as a central theme.

Vector wrote:

Just got back from Up. Was extremely well done. Lots of laughs and excellent emotional scenes. One of my favourite Pixar movies but I'm partial to movies with adventure as a central theme.

How is it kid-wise? Scary? Bear in mind my daughter has Dora episodes she won't watch :).

Up was fantastic. I'm not a great judge for kids stuff, but I think it would be fairly kid friendly. There are a few dark scenes and there are some very tense moments and chases. Im trying to remember if the one or two dark scenes would be that scary. I dont think so but Im not 4 so I'd hate to steer you wrong

ColdForged wrote:
Vector wrote:

Just got back from Up. Was extremely well done. Lots of laughs and excellent emotional scenes. One of my favourite Pixar movies but I'm partial to movies with adventure as a central theme.

How is it kid-wise? Scary? Bear in mind my daughter has Dora episodes she won't watch :).

I didn't see a lot of kids but it was a 10:00pm showing. The 3d glasses might be a bit difficult due to their small heads. It had less scary moments than other Pikar movies. It has a Wall-E feel to it in terms of plot due to the sparse use of dialogue. The use of bright colours, talking dog, and cartoony-in-appearance characters makes it a good movie for kids.

One of the funnest moments was a part of the movie where the screen goes black. A small child in the upper row audibly says "What's happening?". Brought a chuckle out of the crowd during a serious scene.

Okay, just got back from seeing UP. And I have to say I am very pleased with this movie.

The settings were just beautiful, the music was very well composed and there were plenty of laughs to be had. Once again they have managed a masterpiece that definitely is going in my collection and I recommend it to everyone.

In terms of dark scenes, there is a bit of blood--more than you've seen in their previous films--but it's mostly in terms of injuries to an animal and someone that gets hit with a cane. But maybe preview it first before seeing it with your daughter, Cold.

And the short at the beginning was amazing! I've always loved their animation shorts, but this one really was hilarious.

Taking my boys to see it at a matinee today. All the signs pointed to it being a really fun movie.

They are having clowns and those air-filled trampoline rooms at the Raleigh Grande 16 to coincide with the showing, so my sons get to watch me bounce around like an idiot.

Vector wrote:

The 3d glasses might be a bit difficult due to their small heads.

We took our kids to see Monsters Vs. Aliens a couple of weeks ago, and they (age 6, age 8) had no trouble with the 3-D glasses. They were annoying for *me*, because I wear glasses, and had to wear the 3D ones over my eyeglasses.

Up is definitely on our summer movie agenda.

The Incredibles remains my favorite Pixar film. My first experience with Pixar was at an animation festival in the late 80s or early 90s. I don't remember if it was Luxo Jr., Red's Dream, or Tin Toy -- I went to the animation specials every year back then.

Just brilliant. They're at the top of their game. No one does character animation better. And i enjoyed the 3d, although it's certainly not essential to enjoying the film itself.

My friend and I saw it in 2D, and it really didn't look like there were any 3D aspects to it that would make it spectacular like that.

Yeah, the first 10 minutes is Oscar worthy just by itself. Definitely a masterpiece I am going to add to my collection.

Just got back from Up. Absolutely loved it. The first 10 minutes or so are some of the finest storytelling I have seen, animated or otherwise. I think the movie is fine for kids (we went to a 6:45 showing on a sunday and there were plenty of happy children in the audience) and I actually think the movie is scarier/darker for adults than it is for kids :).

Mastermind
The film is about a villain who gets depressed after accidentally killing his superhero nemesis.
Due: November 5, 2010

The name changed to Oobermind. And despite it being a dreamworks movie, I think it looks pretty good. Pixar could likely do it a lot better, but it does look interesting, at least.

The use of 3D was nice and understated. I thought it added a lot to the huge vistas and made the world seem a little more tangible, and I was glad they never resorted to poking things in your face. It was just there.

I admit, I was very close to shedding a man-tear or two a number of times during the movie.

Kannon wrote:

Mastermind
The film is about a villain who gets depressed after accidentally killing his superhero nemesis.
Due: November 5, 2010

The name changed to Oobermind. And despite it being a dreamworks movie, I think it looks pretty good. Pixar could likely do it a lot better, but it does look interesting, at least.

Ah, thanks!