Let's talk anime.

I can't recall if I've been spoilery. I'll definitely be more careful. I usually watch the latest episode right away and when I initially post, I use spoiler tags. I think it's the discussion after that where we get a little lax.

Oh also to be clear, SAO is at 17 but Accel World (which is what we've been talking about) is much further along, so if your at 17 on SAO your all caught up.

Yeah, I've seen the complete run of Accel World, but only up to 16 on SAO.

No, I stopped reading any posts in the thread a page or two ago while people were talking about the "real world" and making other references outside of spoiler tags. Came back just to see if anybody had responded. I think I've successfully blocked the general memory of what was happening, so don't worry too much about it, just frustrated because I was also reading the thread to check out other new anime. Maybe even this Accel World people are talking about

Jolly Bill wrote:

No, I stopped reading any posts in the thread a page or two ago while people were talking about the "real world" and making other references outside of spoiler tags. Came back just to see if anybody had responded. I think I've successfully blocked the general memory of what was happening, so don't worry too much about it, just frustrated because I was also reading the thread to check out other new anime. Maybe even this Accel World people are talking about :)

Eldon_of_Azure wrote:

On SAO 15: It's true, the real world does suck.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

I didn't expect episode 15 to drop today! I really liked it even though it's in the real world.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

SAO Episode 16 was pretty good! It definitely sets the stage for the next story arc. According to the title of Episode 17, Kirito should manage to find Asuna in the new game.

GUILTYYYYY

Ha! Well, I hope I didn't ruin your day too much. At any rate, like I said, I'll be careful from now on.

The reason I didn't even think of it as being a spoiler was that it's not if you've watched the episode prior. That was a bad assumption on my part. Of course, if you haven't, it's definitely a spoiler.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Ha! Well, I hope I didn't ruin your day too much. At any rate, like I said, I'll be careful from now on.

The reason I didn't even think of it as being a spoiler was that it's not if you've watched the episode prior. That was a bad assumption on my part. Of course, if you haven't, it's definitely a spoiler.

I don't mind discussions; if I'm in to something it certainly makes it easier to wait for the next episode by discussing the current one. But, yeah, spoilers.

Yeah, I'm usually really good about spoiler tagging for everything. It was a total slip up on my part.

Just saw a video of SAO and I just had to watch it. It's been a real long time, since I watched anime. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and was really annoyed when I realized the second season wasn't all out yet. Really fun.

The two main leads are just fantastic really. I'm tempted to find the light novels or the manga, but the fights probable just wouldn't be the same.

master0 wrote:

The two main leads are just fantastic really. I'm tempted to find the light novels or the manga, but the fights probable just wouldn't be the same.

Honestly, I would recommend staying away from both the light novels and the manga.

In the manga you get extended fight scenes, but the art is messy and they do Asuna a grave disservice by not including or reducing most of her badass scenes from the anime. I think the anime actually added those in because most of those scenes aren't in the light novels either.
I would go as far as to say that in the manga and light novels, Asuna is not even the female lead; she's just the love interest.

The light novels are the original source and while you get better world building and insight into Kirito's thoughts, it actually quite short as the light novels was meant to be a one shot, then stuff got added back in and it jumps around in the timeline to pad out the story. What you see in the anime includes the key additional stories but told linearly so is easier to follow. Even then, the anime still suffers from pacing problems early on as that is were the additional stories are played out and they are somewhat inconsistent.

I stopped reading both when I realized all of the above and choose not to spoil myself further and since then I've enjoyed the Anime much more with the stuff happening in episode 14 onwards coming as huge surprises and emotional outrage.

So, to continue in the not-discussing-SAO vein: while I was waiting for the next episode of SAO, I noticed that Hulu now has Wolf's Rain, which I haven't watched before. Now that I have, I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the ending.

I'm about halfway through Sket Dance. Just got through Bossun's 3 episode past arc. I think I cried for like half of it. What an awesome ending to that arc though, really didn't expect it to end like that. They really do a good job with that show.

casual_alcoholic wrote:
Jolly Bill wrote:

No, I stopped reading any posts in the thread a page or two ago while people were talking about the "real world" and making other references outside of spoiler tags. Came back just to see if anybody had responded. I think I've successfully blocked the general memory of what was happening, so don't worry too much about it, just frustrated because I was also reading the thread to check out other new anime. Maybe even this Accel World people are talking about :)

Eldon_of_Azure wrote:

On SAO 15: It's true, the real world does suck.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

I didn't expect episode 15 to drop today! I really liked it even though it's in the real world.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

SAO Episode 16 was pretty good! It definitely sets the stage for the next story arc. According to the title of Episode 17, Kirito should manage to find Asuna in the new game.

GUILTYYYYY

I do feel bad about this, so: SAO Discussion Hub!!!
I know that it doesn't make up for the past, but the future is bright.

Yeah, SAO was taking up a lot of discussion in this thread, so that's a good idea.

Anyone else try watching Kimi ni Todoke - From Me To You? I think it's supposed to be a girl's show, but I'm enjoying it for many of the same reasons that Freaks and Geeks is fun. At any rate, I love some of the comedy, particularly the animations.

It's a cute show. I liked it a lot!

OK, recommendation request time again: I just finished watching Wolf's Rain and Eureka Seven, and I find myself in the mood for something with both a definite dramatic arc and characters that have time to hang out together and interact (albeit this happens way more in Eureka, but I found my favorite moments in Wolf's Rain were really about watching the characters interact with each other).

Eureka Seven was also my Minecraft-background watching, so I'm also feeling a loss of something for that (Serial Experiments Lain is terrible for that purpose).

Gremlin wrote:

OK, recommendation request time again: I just finished watching Wolf's Rain and Eureka Seven, and I find myself in the mood for something with both a definite dramatic arc and characters that have time to hang out together and interact (albeit this happens way more in Eureka, but I found my favorite moments in Wolf's Rain were really about watching the characters interact with each other).

Eureka Seven was also my Minecraft-background watching, so I'm also feeling a loss of something for that (Serial Experiments Lain is terrible for that purpose).

Have you seen Steins;Gate? Perhaps some Samurai 7, Eden of the East, or Last Exile would be other ones to throw out at you. Then again I am a terrible judge of drama.

Eldon_of_Azure wrote:
Gremlin wrote:

OK, recommendation request time again: I just finished watching Wolf's Rain and Eureka Seven, and I find myself in the mood for something with both a definite dramatic arc and characters that have time to hang out together and interact (albeit this happens way more in Eureka, but I found my favorite moments in Wolf's Rain were really about watching the characters interact with each other).

Eureka Seven was also my Minecraft-background watching, so I'm also feeling a loss of something for that (Serial Experiments Lain is terrible for that purpose).

Have you seen Steins;Gate? Perhaps some Samurai 7, Eden of the East, or Last Exile would be other ones to throw out at you. Then again I am a terrible judge of drama.

Last Exile (and Fam: The Silver Wing) is one of my favorites, so that's a good call. I've been waiting on Steins;Gates until most of it is available for streaming, because between Space Brothers and SAO I really don't need another drama-heavy one-episode at a time drip-feed. My better judgement may get overruled, though.

I like Last Exile too but I don't know if it's a good Minecraftin' anime, especially if you're one of the people who hates Lavi's voice.

I like Vandread, even though they made some weird VA choices. Trigun's a classic but the dub is sometimes hard to listen to and it gets really heavy toward the end. If you don't mind some gratuitous fanservice, Witchblade and High School of the Dead are surprisingly good, too. Netflix Instant has all of these, so no harm in giving them each a shot to see if any grab you.

LobsterMobster wrote:

I like Last Exile too but I don't know if it's a good Minecraftin' anime, especially if you're one of the people who hates Lavi's voice.

To be fair, I think my two prerequisites there are somewhat at odds: Eureka Seven fit both because it had such a slow burn at the start. I think finding things that fit either half of that might be a bit easier than finding drama and Minecrafting.

LobsterMobster wrote:

Netflix Instant has all of these, so no harm in giving them each a shot to see if any grab you.

I tried watching Highschool of the Dead and a creeper blew me up, which I took as a sign.

A good sign or a bad sign?

You could try Mushi-shi? It's a fairly quiet, contemplative show about various people being affected/interacting with another form of life called Mushi. It's creepy, but in the "little cold feet just ran up my spine" way instead of the "oh GOD that's gross" way.

It's on Netflix instant-watch, and the english dub is really quite good so you don't have to try to watch what you're digging and subtitles at the same time. One thing I need to point out is they used Travis Willingham for the voice of Ginko, the Mushi Master. He fits the part perfectly and does an excellent job but sometimes Roy Mustang comes through.

LarryC wrote:

It's a cute show. I liked it a lot!

I finally finished the 12 episodes of season 2 of Kimi ni Todoke - From Me To You (so, 36 episodes total for the whole series). Wow, this was a touching show. Fortunately, it actually resolves unlike Freaks and Geeks. Even so, I really want to know what happens int he future for the characters. It blends a perfect amount of high school comedy, romance, and "Mean Girls" type backstabbing. After finishing it, I can highly recommend it to anyone interested in a goofy, heartfelt romance anime.

I am sad it's over.

momgamer wrote:

You could try Mushi-shi? It's a fairly quiet, contemplative show about various people being affected/interacting with another form of life called Mushi. It's creepy, but in the "little cold feet just ran up my spine" way instead of the "oh GOD that's gross" way.

It's on Netflix instant-watch, and the english dub is really quite good so you don't have to try to watch what you're digging and subtitles at the same time. One thing I need to point out is they used Travis Willingham for the voice of Ginko, the Mushi Master. He fits the part perfectly and does an excellent job but sometimes Roy Mustang comes through.

Yeah, Mushi-shi is great. Nice and low key. Each episode has the feel of a bedtime story.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

I am sad it's over. :(

Thinking about it, this is actually the feeling I'm looking for: a show where I'll be upset when it's over. And then I'll have to find another show to replace that one...

Thanks for the Minecrafting suggestions, everybody. Unfortunately, I don't have Netflix (at least on the computer: my roommate has it on his PS3 in the living room) so that constrains some things. I may just switch to podcasts for mining.

Gremlin wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

I am sad it's over. :(

Thinking about it, this is actually the feeling I'm looking for: a show where I'll be upset when it's over. And then I'll have to find another show to replace that one...

Thanks for the Minecrafting suggestions, everybody. Unfortunately, I don't have Netflix (at least on the computer: my roommate has it on his PS3 in the living room) so that constrains some things. I may just switch to podcasts for mining.

What streaming service are you using? I'll see if I can think of something else to suggest. If it's Crunchyroll, do you subscribe? Some of the shows are locked out if you don't.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

What streaming service are you using? I'll see if I can think of something else to suggest. If it's Crunchyroll, do you subscribe? Some of the shows are locked out if you don't.

Hulu and unsubscribed Crunchyroll. And Amazon Prime, but there's not much anime on there. If there's a service with a huge number of shows for subscribers (not just dubs/subs of the same shows) I'd be interested in hearing about it. I haven't checked out subscribed Crunchyroll or Hulu Plus because I wasn't seeing much of an upside from the outside, and for that matter I'm a bit vague on what Netflix has online...

Gremlin wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

What streaming service are you using? I'll see if I can think of something else to suggest. If it's Crunchyroll, do you subscribe? Some of the shows are locked out if you don't.

Hulu and unsubscribed Crunchyroll. And Amazon Prime, but there's not much anime on there. If there's a service with a huge number of shows for subscribers (not just dubs/subs of the same shows) I'd be interested in hearing about it. I haven't checked out subscribed Crunchyroll or Hulu Plus because I wasn't seeing much of an upside from the outside, and for that matter I'm a bit vague on what Netflix has online...

Okay, well Kids on the Slope definitely has that "I'm sad it's over but that was good" endings. That would definitely fit the bill if you haven't seen it. It's just 1 season. Kimi ni todoke's 1st season is up on Hulu but the final 12 episodes (season 2) are not. On Crunchyroll, they are all available to subscribers with only the first 5 or so episodes being available to non-subscribers.

Natsume Yujin-cho (which started getting called Natsume Yujin-cho Shi on Crunchyroll after about 2 or 3 seasons) is all available on Crunchyroll to non-subscribers. It's one of the most relaxing and heartwarming shows I've ever seen. I don't know if the show actually wrapped up. It felt like it should keep going. I sure hope it does.

It took me a bit to figure out the order, so I'll let you know. Natsume Yujin-cho is what you watch first for 39 episodes. Then you watch the 13 episodes of Natsume Yujin-cho Shi.

You probably already watched it. I can never remember who's watched what.

LobsterMobster wrote:
momgamer wrote:

You could try Mushi-shi? It's a fairly quiet, contemplative show about various people being affected/interacting with another form of life called Mushi. It's creepy, but in the "little cold feet just ran up my spine" way instead of the "oh GOD that's gross" way.

It's on Netflix instant-watch, and the english dub is really quite good so you don't have to try to watch what you're digging and subtitles at the same time. One thing I need to point out is they used Travis Willingham for the voice of Ginko, the Mushi Master. He fits the part perfectly and does an excellent job but sometimes Roy Mustang comes through.

Yeah, Mushi-shi is great. Nice and low key. Each episode has the feel of a bedtime story.

Only if you're reading the old Hans Christian Anderson versions!