GWJ OOTP League Thread

New file! Remember, Spring Training is actually really useful for some of your young talent or training players at new positions! Don't let these weeks go to waste!

New file!

Uhh....Is anyone else having issues getting any stats from the spring training games? Every game I'm clicking on comes up with an error message.

CptDomano wrote:

Uhh....Is anyone else having issues getting any stats from the spring training games? Every game I'm clicking on comes up with an error message.

That's because you're losing by too many runs. Sucka!

CptDomano wrote:

Uhh....Is anyone else having issues getting any stats from the spring training games? Every game I'm clicking on comes up with an error message.

No, sorry. Maybe your pitchers' ERA are too high and causing a floating point error?

Thanks, guys.

It's weird--the last few games seem to show up for me just fine, but the first two weeks are throwing the errors. Ah well.

I just noticed Vancouver sold their entire farm to acquire SP Jose Perez. Pretty ballsy move, Pred.

Yikes, another sim, another guy I lost for the majority of the season. I'm going to start getting gun shy when I download these new files.

Laarrs wrote:

Yikes, another sim, another guy I lost for the majority of the season. I'm going to start getting gun shy when I download these new files.

Welcome to the club, sir! Glad to have you aboard!

tboon wrote:
Laarrs wrote:

Yikes, another sim, another guy I lost for the majority of the season. I'm going to start getting gun shy when I download these new files.

Welcome to the club, sir! Glad to have you aboard!

Yeah, this is every sim for me. Everyone breaks, all the time. :sadface:

Novocain wrote:

I just noticed Vancouver sold their entire farm to acquire SP Jose Perez. Pretty ballsy move, Pred.

The AI basically won't do a deal with you unless you give them a established player + prospects + a chunk of your draft (and by "draft" I mean the first 5 picks). We desperately needed a new arm though, and the core position players are all either under contract or young enough that we can afford them. It's more of a calculated gamble than the trade that got me Raleigh Brown, as we ended up giving up a potential MVP and HR king in that one.

No file tonight, or tomorrow night. Enjoy the holiday!

New file! It's almost time for the new season!

Looks like there's a new update for OOTP. Should we apply it now or wait?

Changes in this update, compared to version 14.5.28: wrote:

Increased the number of rows visible in player lists, before the list turns to page selektors, from 1024 to 8192.
Added the option "Include minor leaguers" to the full player list of a league (transaction screen).
The league finances report now lists values for the previous season during the offseason for certain categories instead of zeros.
Improved in-game AI
Fixed various other bugs, including tie-breaker issues

I did the update already and didn't have a problem with the latest file, so it's probably safe to go with it.

SP Chris McDaniel, who I acquired in 2015 at age 29, pitched 4 years for Dallas prior for 946 innings (34 starts and 236 IP average.) In the 3 years he's been with Pittsburgh (on a $10 million contract no less,) he's averaged 20 starts and 130 innings.

And now in the last year of his contract, he's hurt prior to Opening Day and is out for 4 months. Good luck asking for that contract extension, asshole.

tboon wrote:

Looks like there's a new update for OOTP. Should we apply it now or wait?

Changes in this update, compared to version 14.5.28: wrote:

Increased the number of rows visible in player lists, before the list turns to page selektors, from 1024 to 8192.
Added the option "Include minor leaguers" to the full player list of a league (transaction screen).
The league finances report now lists values for the previous season during the offseason for certain categories instead of zeros.
Improved in-game AI
Fixed various other bugs, including tie-breaker issues

I didn't for last night's file, but ahead of tonight's, yes, let's update please.

My LF player who I knowingly overpaid for in FA last season is looking for $54 mil a season for an extension. He's nuts!

garion333 wrote:

My LF player who I knowingly overpaid for in FA last season is looking for $54 mil a season for an extension. He's nuts!

Whaaaaaa

[size=30]2018 North American Baseball League Season Preview[/size]

The 2018 season marks the first season with a full offseason under the new financial rules, and the question on everyone's lips is how did things change this year? Will San Diego romp to the title again? Will teams like Detroit and Las Vegas continue to improve? Who's going to break through, and who's going to slide backwards? First pitch is less than 72 hours away, so the GWJ Sports Network will be taking a look at all the movers and shakers this offseason, and let you know who our experts thing will be popping champagne in October.

Baseball is back!

[size=16]Offseason Report[/size]

This was a pretty uneventful offseason to most observers. A weak free agent class led to few teams being willing to go out on a limb and hand someone the kind of contract that can cripple a franchise for half a decade. But that doesn't mean nothing happened. Let's take a look at some of the offseason winners and losers.

Winners:

Las Vegas Gamblers: Most people agree that $18M is too much for a 39-year-old, but the league's top contract is almost $30M, so why not? SP Tom Phillips, C Jack Graves and MR Jorge Clemente make up the brunt of Vegas' offseason signings, but what's most important is that they lost next to nothing from the team that went 92-70 last year. They don't need Phillips to win Pitcher of the Year again, they just need him to be good enough.

San Francisco Sharks: We're still listing them as a "winner", despite the fact that Thom Hogan, their star signing, will be out for another three months with post-concussion syndrome following a collision in Spring Training. However, they managed to completely refill their rotation for a song, and will probably be a recurring frustration for opponents later in the year.

Losers:

New Orleans Tsunami: Matt Ellison and Ed Tillman certainly aren't great pitchers, but watching them both walk away is a lot of innings to fill in with talent that may not be as good. They've got fresh blood, but it's hard to say any of them are prepared to make an impact this season, much less in their rotation.

Detroit Bulldogs: Primarily because Detroit added exactly no-one in the offseason. No-one. Not a soul. They'd better have the farm system to fill in any gaps.

So, new file! Here's what's up.

YOU HAVE UNTIL MONDAY NIGHT TO CUT YOUR ROSTER DOWN TO 25. NO EXCEPTIONS. If I import files Monday to start the season, and you haven't cut your roster down, I'm going to cut it down myself. I'll try to be nice, but if I have to make it work, I will. Monday night, I will sim the first week of the season, and we'll be underway. Everybody got it?

Yes, sir.

What time are we talking for Monday night? I've been setting up my rosters/lineups while on break at work and then uploading when I get home, so I just want to make sure I can get my upload in before the update.

CptDomano wrote:

What time are we talking for Monday night? I've been setting up my rosters/lineups while on break at work and then uploading when I get home, so I just want to make sure I can get my upload in before the update.

Pred usually does the sim west coast night time (usually around 2 or 3am EST for me) so you should have plenty of time.
Looking forward to the new season and the rest of the preseason prediction write-up.

Novocain wrote:
CptDomano wrote:

What time are we talking for Monday night? I've been setting up my rosters/lineups while on break at work and then uploading when I get home, so I just want to make sure I can get my upload in before the update.

Pred usually does the sim west coast night time (usually around 2 or 3am EST for me) so you should have plenty of time.
Looking forward to the new season and the rest of the preseason prediction write-up.

I'm looking forward to the new season but not really to managing my team. 70 wins this year would be a good year.

It may be the first of a few rebuilding years so I'm obviously not expecting much out of my team, but I'm happy to watch my younger players hopefully develop into a good roster.

Ha! Took quite a bit of time today to cut down to 25, and damn near almost forgot to upload the file! Portland is now ready to go

All set.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's a four-star-potential young 'un first basement sitting on the waiver wire. Is he meant to be there?

Slumberland wrote:

All set.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's a four-star-potential young 'un first basement sitting on the waiver wire. Is he meant to be there?

Shhhhhhhh

I won't be able to upload for a couple more hours, but I'm guessing that I'll make it in time.

garion333 wrote:
Slumberland wrote:

All set.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's a four-star-potential young 'un first basement sitting on the waiver wire. Is he meant to be there?

Shhhhhhhh

I'm not falling for this trick again.......... I know how this turns out.