GWJ OOTP League Thread

Prederick wrote:

Also, Baltimore and Pittsburgh, if you could grab the new file as well (for you it should just be a matter of hitting "Load Online League File" in the OOTP dropdown menu, as mentioned above) and check to see if the moves you made (if any) stuck.

Grab the new file by hitting 'Load Online League File' from within the game and everything went smoothly. I had moved a big league pitcher to AAA as a test prior to the loading, and once the new file was loaded I found him with the big league team as anticipated.

So should we trim down the roster to 25 by Thursday's midnight upload?

Any way to edit your manager name? So many Jims...

No biggie, obviously.

Slumberland wrote:

Any way to edit your manager name? So many Jims...

No biggie, obviously.

I have to do that personally, so if there's one you'd like specifically, say so or PM or e-mail me or whatever.

Anyway, hooray, almost everyone's got it working! Everyone but jakeleg. Paging Dr. Jakeleg....

Prederick wrote:
Slumberland wrote:

Any way to edit your manager name? So many Jims...

No biggie, obviously.

I have to do that personally, so if there's one you'd like specifically, say so or PM or e-mail me or whatever.

Anyway, hooray, almost everyone's got it working! Everyone but jakeleg. Paging Dr. Jakeleg....

I've setup the local league file and exported to FTP. Let me know if there were any issues.

Gretz. Sent a practice ftp to see if it worked o.k. Let me know. Thanks.

Team changes made. Uploaded for Thursday night sim. Woot!

So is there a place to actually see the 40 man roster? Or you just look a the Minor League teams and note the starred players?

When FTP'ing, I see this option on several different pages. Do those just ftp those pages, or can you use any of them to ftp your entire set-up (and if the later, which page ftp's the whole shebang?)

To see your active and 40-man roster, the best way I found is to use the 'Transaction' tab or 'Transaction Overview' pull down from the team page.

For FTP upload, I believe multiple pages have the Import/Export Team File via FTP and all the changes you made will be uploaded (not page specific.)
However it seems that the strategy page has its own Export File, can someone verify this?

Novocain wrote:

To see your active and 40-man roster, the best way I found is to use the 'Transaction' tab or 'Transaction Overview' pull down from the team page.

For FTP upload, I believe multiple pages have the Import/Export Team File via FTP and all the changes you made will be uploaded (not page specific.)
However it seems that the strategy page has its own Export File, can someone verify this?

Thanks! Are these folks that are your top prospects in AAA? I mean there is no way to actually put someone on this roster that I could fine. I figure folks I trimmed from the 40 to 25 player roster just automatically goes there, right?

Top prospects aren't always going to be in AAA. They'll be in the level most appropriate. if someone has a potential of 5 stars, they may be in the rookie league or the A or AA league. It's a matter of development.

Now, if you're talking about moving people from the spring training 40 man active roster to the minor leagues, I drag and drop them in the Transactions screen. So I'll drag them from the active 40 man roster to AAA. That will keep them on the 40 man roster, but they'll be playing at the AAA level.

How did you "trim" the roster to 25? I believe you can have someone on the 40 man roster that isn't actually assigned to a minor league level. They'll just float on the 40 man roster until you put them on the in-season 25 man roster. So, if you didn't designate someone for assignment they may be in limbo where they're on the 40 man roster, but not playing on any of the minor league teams

Does that makes sense? Am I actually correct in what I'm saying?

I had to review the 40-man roster thing myself. Here's what the manual says:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/docu...

Exported the Roster from the Seattle Rain Team Menu. Is that all I needed to send. Made other changes to Line-up(s) and strategy also. Do I need to send each separately?
Before I get too crazy with exporting files could some one confirm process.
Thanks

Novocain wrote:

I had to review the 40-man roster thing myself. Here's what the manual says:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/docu...

Thanks again!

ftp'd from Team Roster. Crossing fingers. Hooraw.

I'm going to put this out there:

My bullpen is pretty loaded. My starting pitching lineup could use another quality starter I trust. I'm open to trades, please keep this in mind.

short version: Two high quality bp pitchers for one quality SP.

No rush on this, but please keep it in mind.

Buh, sooo tired from work...

But the good news is, everything seems to be working just perfectly. I downloaded everyone's Export with no issue from the server, so I am declaring the GWJ OOTP season officially on!

There's a new league file up, we are now at opening day (Monday, April 4th.) No games have been played, but if you have any last roster moves to make, do it now. I'd like to start the sim by midnight friday, but since this is the first week, i'll be nice and say that if everyone hasn't checked in (and please, CHECK IN) I'll wait until Saturday night. After this sim though, the schedule is that sims will be held every Monday and Friday night, around 2 AM. If you don't have your team file in by then, you need to have a damn good reason to ask for a postponement, and then, it'd better be for something like 6 hours, not two days.

Last thing, small question. We have "Batter of the Year" and "Pitcher of the year" awards, but I was thinking, as there's room for a custom award, who's interested in adding to the off-season fun with the creation of a MVP award that will be decided by a vote of all human managers? The rules would be simple, you can't vote for anyone on your team, you can vote for a player on ANY team (AI teams included), player with the most votes wins. Sound fun?

EDIT: Also, if anyone has a spare outfielder in a month or two, we've got some wonderful prospects you can have in exchange (please ignore our #10 minor league system ranking).

MVP award sounds like a great idea! My vote is, 'yes'.

When you say, '...new league file is up...', that means we can upload that from within the game? (I remember seeing that somewhere.

Hope you get some deserved rest soon from work and all this. Again, appreciate all you are doing.

When I say "new league file is up" mean everyone can download it from the FTP (the Load League File option in the OOTP dropdown menu).

And if we can get a couple seasons of fun out of this, that's all the thanks I need.

And now things begin in earnest. Thanks, Pred. (Btw, did I upload again last night? I can't remember. Anyway, shouldn't matter as I can still tweak things for opening day.)

I'm totally on board with Stan's MVP Award (or whatever we name it: The Stan, Weiner Bomb Award, etc.). Since the league is so small, we might want to vote for three players with different point values. That way we don't end up with a 2/2 tie for the award.

I'm down with 'The Stan.'

I also have a stupid question:
What is the difference between when a team 'options Player X to Triple A' vs. 'demotes Player X to Triple A?
and also 'recalls Player X' vs. 'promote Player X?'

I've been seeing in the 'Transaction News' that you guys have been optioning and recalling your players, as opposed to me, I've been demoting and promoting mine. Just wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

I am ready. I shuffled around my minor leagues a bit, and considered offering extensions to my two older stud starting pitchers. They both want fully guaranteed 5 year deals, which, at age 34, is a bit much for my blood right now. Depending on how things go, they could both be available if I fall out of contention and a contender comes up with the right package of major league ready young talent.

TheCounselor wrote:

I am ready. I shuffled around my minor leagues a bit, and considered offering extensions to my two older stud starting pitchers. They both want fully guaranteed 5 year deals, which, at age 34, is a bit much for my blood right now. Depending on how things go, they could both be available if I fall out of contention and a contender comes up with the right package of major league ready young talent.

Not that I know everything, but I'd wait on giving extensions until you're in the season. Those studly pitchers may be good trade bait if you're out of contention.

garion333 wrote:
TheCounselor wrote:

I am ready. I shuffled around my minor leagues a bit, and considered offering extensions to my two older stud starting pitchers. They both want fully guaranteed 5 year deals, which, at age 34, is a bit much for my blood right now. Depending on how things go, they could both be available if I fall out of contention and a contender comes up with the right package of major league ready young talent.

Not that I know everything, but I'd wait on giving extensions until you're in the season. Those studly pitchers may be good trade bait if you're out of contention.

Yeah, I was just kicking the tires on extensions. I have a lot of payroll room available for this year, so I thought I could use some of that to get a good deal, but no way I'm giving a 34 year old 60 million without having them pitch a full year for me first.

TheCounselor wrote:
garion333 wrote:
TheCounselor wrote:

I am ready. I shuffled around my minor leagues a bit, and considered offering extensions to my two older stud starting pitchers. They both want fully guaranteed 5 year deals, which, at age 34, is a bit much for my blood right now. Depending on how things go, they could both be available if I fall out of contention and a contender comes up with the right package of major league ready young talent.

Not that I know everything, but I'd wait on giving extensions until you're in the season. Those studly pitchers may be good trade bait if you're out of contention.

Yeah, I was just kicking the tires on extensions. I have a lot of payroll room available for this year, so I thought I could use some of that to get a good deal, but no way I'm giving a 34 year old 60 million without having them pitch a full year for me first.

I just want to say, I love that this conversation is even happening now. We're a league everybody!

TheCounselor wrote:
garion333 wrote:
TheCounselor wrote:

I am ready. I shuffled around my minor leagues a bit, and considered offering extensions to my two older stud starting pitchers. They both want fully guaranteed 5 year deals, which, at age 34, is a bit much for my blood right now. Depending on how things go, they could both be available if I fall out of contention and a contender comes up with the right package of major league ready young talent.

Not that I know everything, but I'd wait on giving extensions until you're in the season. Those studly pitchers may be good trade bait if you're out of contention.

Yeah, I was just kicking the tires on extensions. I have a lot of payroll room available for this year, so I thought I could use some of that to get a good deal, but no way I'm giving a 34 year old 60 million without having them pitch a full year for me first.

The irony is that I gave a couple extensions to some of my players for tonight's sim. Lol. But none of them are as old as your guys.

garion333 wrote:
TheCounselor wrote:
garion333 wrote:
TheCounselor wrote:

I am ready. I shuffled around my minor leagues a bit, and considered offering extensions to my two older stud starting pitchers. They both want fully guaranteed 5 year deals, which, at age 34, is a bit much for my blood right now. Depending on how things go, they could both be available if I fall out of contention and a contender comes up with the right package of major league ready young talent.

Not that I know everything, but I'd wait on giving extensions until you're in the season. Those studly pitchers may be good trade bait if you're out of contention.

Yeah, I was just kicking the tires on extensions. I have a lot of payroll room available for this year, so I thought I could use some of that to get a good deal, but no way I'm giving a 34 year old 60 million without having them pitch a full year for me first.

The irony is that I gave a couple extensions to some of my players for tonight's sim. Lol. But none of them are as old as your guys.

I have two young stud starters, as well, and tried to sign one of them to a long-term deal on the cheap. He declined, saying he'd rather have a short-term deal. I guess he didn't see value in the 7 year, $9 million I offered him.

garion333 wrote:

Top prospects aren't always going to be in AAA. They'll be in the level most appropriate. if someone has a potential of 5 stars, they may be in the rookie league or the A or AA league. It's a matter of development.

Now, if you're talking about moving people from the spring training 40 man active roster to the minor leagues, I drag and drop them in the Transactions screen. So I'll drag them from the active 40 man roster to AAA. That will keep them on the 40 man roster, but they'll be playing at the AAA level.

How did you "trim" the roster to 25? I believe you can have someone on the 40 man roster that isn't actually assigned to a minor league level. They'll just float on the 40 man roster until you put them on the in-season 25 man roster. So, if you didn't designate someone for assignment they may be in limbo where they're on the 40 man roster, but not playing on any of the minor league teams

Does that makes sense? Am I actually correct in what I'm saying?

Thanks for this explanation Garion. I had not paid much attention the the 'Transaction' screen. Now I will:)

TheCounselor wrote:

I have two young stud starters, as well, and tried to sign one of them to a long-term deal on the cheap. He declined, saying he'd rather have a short-term deal. I guess he didn't see value in the 7 year, $9 million I offered him.

That's great :). I've been kicking around ideas for the 50 something million I have available for extensions, but I wanted to get a few weeks simmed first, at least.

Are we ready to start simming? I've been checking for a new file this morning, but didn't see one.

Also, a question- I've been uploading multiple times as I've discovered and fixed some issues. Will this create problems, and will the most recent upload for my team be used in the sim?

Paging Dr. Prederick. Paging Dr. Prederick.