GWJ Ventrilo Server FAQ

Thin_J wrote:
kazar wrote:

Has anyone played with Teamspeak3? I used to use Teamspeak2 which was inferior to ventrilo, but it looks like they really raised the bar with Teamspeak 3.

TS3 is pretty good actually, but there are still some really nice features on Vent that it's missing.

Most notably there's no SFX feature to normalize the volume of everybody else you hear. That alone is enough to keep me on Ventrilo. Having someone you haven't chatted with before hop on and blow your ear drums because their mic is blasting ten times the volume of everybody else is for suckers.

Actually, I remember reading that it does this by default. You don't need to configure it. I have yet to have a problem with someone being too quiet or two loud on TS3, it just auto levels them. And I have tested this with people that were too loud on Vent and I had to lower down, but sounded perfectly fine on TS3.

kazar wrote:

Actually, I remember reading that it does this by default. You don't need to configure it. I have yet to have a problem with someone being too quiet or two loud on TS3, it just auto levels them. And I have tested this with people that were too loud on Vent and I had to lower down, but sounded perfectly fine on TS3.

Glad it works for you, but it certainly doesn't for me. I've used it multiple times now and had people either be incredibly quiet or too loud.

Odd tech question re Vent:

I have used Vent for years, but not the last year or so. Had to install the latest update which I did last night. I use push-key-to-talk which works fine when I am just in Vent, but when I then load my game of choice (a MMO), the push-key-to-talk no longer works. If I "windows-key" back to the desktop, the push-key-to-talk works fine. When I bring back up the MMO, it doesn't. I've never experienced this before. Any ideas?

Edgar_Newt wrote:

Odd tech question re Vent:

I have used Vent for years, but not the last year or so. Had to install the latest update which I did last night. I use push-key-to-talk which works fine when I am just in Vent, but when I then load my game of choice (a MMO), the push-key-to-talk no longer works. If I "windows-key" back to the desktop, the push-key-to-talk works fine. When I bring back up the MMO, it doesn't. I've never experienced this before. Any ideas?

You need to set Vent to "Run this program as administrator". Right-click the program, then Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab and check RaA.

Thank you. Will try this tonight. Much appreciated.

I tried to get Vent running for Battlefield BC2 and it just hung at Connecting Server 208.100.6.31 Port 4875. Are there any other things that I am supposed to put in?

Swinghi wrote:

I tried to get Vent running for Battlefield BC2 and it just hung at Connecting Server 208.100.6.31 Port 4875. Are there any other things that I am supposed to put in?

The address changed; see the OP. It's not bolded or in all caps, but the info you want is there.

Tagging thread for further use.

Any way to get a Dungeon Defenders channel added? We've got 53 members in the Steam GWJ group and the in-game voice chat is less-than-adequate.

Done!

That was quick! Thanks!

How are we doing on donations? Does the kitty need more money yet? It's getting to be about that time of year again....

I'll ask TheWalt at D&D tonight.

Malor wrote:

How are we doing on donations? Does the kitty need more money yet? It's getting to be about that time of year again....

The word is that Vent is well funded for now, but thank you!

Is Vent down tonight? I'm timing out and telnet to port 4018 on v22.darkstarllc.com shows nothing is listening on that port.

Hemidal wrote:

Is Vent down tonight? I'm timing out and telnet to port 4018 on v22.darkstarllc.com shows nothing is listening on that port.

I'm getting a time out too when I try to ping the server.

Hmm, my login isn't working so I can't reset it.

Malor wrote:

How are we doing on donations? Does the kitty need more money yet? It's getting to be about that time of year again....

Maybe this question was more important that we thought

It's not down for lack of payment; I just let TheWalt know.

Does TheWalt need our prayers?

Strangeblades wrote:

Does TheWalt need our prayers?

Well, he is a newlywed...

Vent is back up this morning.

Looks like it was down from about 8pm to 11pm last night. Sorry bout that guys. If it happens on a regular basis let me know.

I also have a mumble server that is sitting largely unused, if you don't want to use Vent... It's only a 40-pop server, but I mean, unless the entire Steam group is playing, it shouldn't be a big deal.

nsmike.mumbleserverhost.com
Port: 16705

There is no specific Dungeon Defenders channel just yet (that will have to wait a few days, as I am going to be out of town), but you can just hop into any empty channel and use it.

Can we get a Men of War channel please? You can probably replace the Medal of Honour channel, I've never seen that used.

Tamren wrote:

Can we get a Men of War channel please? You can probably replace the Medal of Honour channel, I've never seen that used.

Done!

Updated the original post to get the Vent server info to the top and I also added NSMike's mumble server info.

And as far as 2012 payments go, the bill is due 1 month from now, and we're just $20 shy of another full year's payment. I don't like having a lot of money stuck in the Clanpay account (it's like Uncle Sam holding your tax dollars interest free all year), so don't everyone donate at once. I'll post another note when we no longer need donations.

TheWalt wrote:

And as far as 2012 payments go, the bill is due 1 month from now, and we're just $20 shy of another full year's payment. I don't like having a lot of money stuck in the Clanpay account (it's like Uncle Sam holding your tax dollars interest free all year), so don't everyone donate at once. I'll post another note when we no longer need donations.

...and donated to the link posted in the OP.

Thanks Tigerbill!

We are paid up through Feb. 2013 at this point, no donations are currently needed!

Thanks so much for handling this for us, TheWalt.