Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham Debate Catch-All

OG_slinger wrote:

Well, now we know the real reason Ken Ham debated Bill Nye.

Ham's been trying to build a 510 foot (300 cubit) replica of Noah's Ark in Kentucky and turn it into a biblically-themed theme park. He needed at least $73 million to break ground on the first phase in May and only managed to raise $14 million from his fellow Creationists.

Ham claimed that the debate helped spur interest in the project and helped him meet his funding goals.

The reality, however, is a bit different. Apparently he got the city of Williamsburg, KY, where the park will be built, to issue between $55 and $62 million in unrated bonds back in December to fund the project.

Why is the voice of god the voice of the borg?

If he needs a replica, shouldn't he just need a family of unskilled carpenters? Modern tools not enough?

Noah spent $73 million on his ark too.

Yay junk bonds.

Tens of millions of dollars for...what, exactly? A monument to the hubris of religion.

It might backfire on him a bit.

Once the ark replica is built people will be able to physically see that it is in no way large enough to hold "two of every kind" and food for 40 days. At the very least Ham will have to quantify how many "kinds" of animals there were on the ark and then explain how they "adapted" into the diversity of life we see around us today.

Even just a single pair of carnivores from each genus would be challenging unless he's willing to say that each kind is represented by something like a house cat. Even then, feed for each genus of herbivore for 40 days sounds logistically challenging. The termites might also be worrisome on a wooden ship.

LarryC wrote:

Even just a single pair of carnivores from each genus would be challenging unless he's willing to say that each kind is represented by something like a house cat. Even then, feed for each genus of herbivore for 40 days sounds logistically challenging. The termites might also be worrisome on a wooden ship.

Though to be fair, once the termites got into the wood, you wouldn't really have to worry about food for, well, anything else, really.

I wish I lived in Williamsburg, Kentucky, because I would happily sue the hell out of the city to stop issuance of municipal debt to support an explicitly religious endeavor.

In 2012, Williamsburg KY had about $26M in assets, and about $4M in revenues, and spent about 1% more than incoming revenue. So, essentially, they are buying a *house*, at over twice their total assets and more than 15 times revenue....

The Creation Park was built for $27m or so, and the Noah's Ark Park will cost $73M or more. They anticipate over $50M in revenues in the first decade. Answers in Genesis pulled out as a primary funder a while back, creating a wholly-owned subsidiary to take on the debt load and dunning the city for the bond issue.

This'll end well, I'm sure.

I don't know much about finance. What exactly is meant by issuing an unrated bond? Is the town actually on the hook for anything here? The article makes it sound like all the money is coming from outside investors.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

I don't know much about finance. What exactly is meant by issuing an unrated bond? Is the town actually on the hook for anything here? The article makes it sound like all the money is coming from outside investors.

It means they didn't pay to have it rated (someone professionally evaluates the risk and issues a rating). That means investors who trade those bonds must evaluate the risk themselves. The town is on the hook for servicing the bonds just like any others.

LouZiffer wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

I don't know much about finance. What exactly is meant by issuing an unrated bond? Is the town actually on the hook for anything here? The article makes it sound like all the money is coming from outside investors.

It means they didn't pay to have it rated (someone professionally evaluates the risk and issues a rating). That means investors who trade those bonds must evaluate the risk themselves. The town is on the hook for servicing the bonds just like any others.

I don't know what's involved in "servicing" the bonds though. They put on their kneepads and get to business?

Quintin_Stone wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

I don't know much about finance. What exactly is meant by issuing an unrated bond? Is the town actually on the hook for anything here? The article makes it sound like all the money is coming from outside investors.

It means they didn't pay to have it rated (someone professionally evaluates the risk and issues a rating). That means investors who trade those bonds must evaluate the risk themselves. The town is on the hook for servicing the bonds just like any others.

I don't know what's involved in "servicing" the bonds though. They put on their kneepads and get to business?

It's making payments on the debt. If the kneepads work for a few payments, that counts.

This reminds me of a somewhat similar situation that recently occurred in West Lafayette, Indiana, although on a much smaller financial scale:

http://wbaa.org/post/wl-council-appr...

Quintin_Stone wrote:

I don't know what's involved in "servicing" the bonds though. They put on their kneepads and get to business?

Dammit. There is now beer on my iPad and my nose hurts.

JC wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

I don't know what's involved in "servicing" the bonds though. They put on their kneepads and get to business?

Dammit. There is now beer on my iPad and my nose hurts.

You're welcome.

But if he helps with those problems god will have nothing left to help with!

Heroin problem? I think Kentucky would want to put a dent in their meth problem before tackling a chichi drug like heroin.

OG_slinger wrote:

Heroin problem? I think Kentucky would want to put a dent in their meth problem before tackling a chichi drug like heroin.

Heroin is coming back in pretty big ways. Once synthetics / legals tapered off around here for instance, heroin seemingly came out of nowhere.

I blame Boyd Crowder.

It's the best way for people with a serious oxy or painkiller habit to fill the gap, if they lose access to their prescription supply line. Now that heroin is generally better quality and smokeable, there's a little less stigma around it than when the only real option was to shoot it.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

I blame Boyd Crowder.

Boyd's success smuggling heroin thus far is about equal to his prowess in familial relationships.

It's not his fault, it's those treacherous Canadians.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

It's not his fault, it's those treacherous Canadians.

And his damned Cousin Johnny.

Ken Ham doesn't like the "Noah" movie. But that's not the interesting part... His quote is.

That's... That's just incredible.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/IkfgM0Q.jpg)