Competitive League of Legends discussion | Season 2015 Part 2, the East Coast Strikes Back

CLG Last Call tourney results:

Spoiler:
1st place: Team Dignitas
2nd place: Epik Gamer
3rd place: Counter Logic Gaming

All this Colbycheeze hateration...

I agree.

To make things worse Chaox fell asleep at his computer right before the final match started

I'm actually fairly impressed with how this turned out. It's really interesting to see CLG becoming more and more of an esports business, similar to Team Liquid.

Aww. I got excited because I thought the tournament was taking place today.

Anyone else watch OddOne's stream? I don't think I've encountered such a consistent, never-ending stream of rage before. He just complains and insults and rages non-stop. That being said, he can be quite funny with his nicknames and rants on certain champions. I've started calling Kennen "chipmunk" now myself.

Koz wrote:
Anyone else watch OddOne's stream? I don't think I've encountered such a consistent, never-ending stream of rage before. He just complains and insults and rages non-stop. That being said, he can be quite funny with his nicknames and rants on certain champions. I've started calling Kennen "chipmunk" now myself.

Ehhh... when I watch streams I tend to lean towards the funny stuff, and SaintVicious / Rainman have been consistently more entertaining than pretty much everyone these days.

Hotshot does nothing but bitch and moan, Chaox/Bob/Dyrus are analytical at times but on the boring side, and OddOne is more of a downer than he is funny. Reginald/bigfatlp/Dan Dinh have their good days, but I don't usually catch them streaming at my hours.

I'd never seen SaintVicious before the last episode of State of the League, the drunken episode to be precise, and he was freakin hilarious.

IPL is doing a similar thing to what Wellplayed did a bit ago. It's a king of the hill style tournament starting the 12th and going on each Thursday at 5pm PST. It looks like registration is based on 5v5 team ladder elo and teams need at least 1700 elo on that in order to qualify. That explains why CLG has actually been playing the ladder a bit lately.

So each week there will be a Bo3 match between two teams in a queue (the queue hasn't been made yet).

The prize rewards are pretty interesting. The winning team for a week gets $300 and is made the "King of the Hill", if they win 3 times in a row they get a "Killing Spree" bonus of $100 for each additional win post that.

source: http://esports.ign.com/lol/rules

IPL is doing an East coast vs West coast all star game in March as SxSW
The rosters will be made based on popular vote at this link: http://esports.ign.com/lol/sxsw

Also, the IPL Killing Spree match for this week will be Counter Logic Gaming vs A Picture of a Goose. I will start tomorrow at 5pm PST. http://esports.ign.com/lol/

The IPL Event is going on right now. CLG vs. GOOSE.

http://www.justin.tv/ipllol/popout

Crazy picks second game.

Spoiler:
Jungle TF new meta

Great IEM Kiev info post from Joe Miller here: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...

I hope every game is casted by Joe Miller and a clone of Joe Miller, with occasional two minute appearances by Phreak when things slow down.

There are just all kinds of team issues for Kiev it seems.
Curse Gaming (the team replacing Goose) is going to be down a member at the event and are desperately looking for a sub
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...

They're restreaming it at night for us, www.justin.tv/esltv_event/popout

Group A finishes

Spoiler:
TSM wins the group 3-0 with SK coming in second at 2-1
Fairly expected results. I'm happy that Curse managed to find a sub in time for their AP Carry, they lost in the first round but at least they got to play

I didn't get to see any of the matches so I don't really have commentary on them.

Any advice on Shyvana? I'm dying less but I am killing less.

Current build is

Boots of Speed + Potions of Health x3
Force of Nature
Wits End
Wiggle Lantern
Trinity Force
Ginsu Rage Blade
Sunfire Cape

I find she is weak to magic so I usually go for the force of nature first to help.damn

M5 v. Sypher

Spoiler:

Wow. M5 totally dominated. I can't remember seeing a game that one-sided in a competitive tournament. That Kennen AD carry looks tough, but I'm not sure how many conclusions to draw from such a lopsided result.

Edwin wrote:
Any advice on Shyvana? I'm dying less but I am killing less.

Current build is

Boots of Speed + Potions of Health x3
Force of Nature
Wits End
Wiggle Lantern
Trinity Force
Ginsu Rage Blade
Sunfire Cape

I find she is weak to magic so I usually go for the force of nature first to help.damn

You should try the main thread, this is specifically geared toward the competitive scene for the game, like pro tournaments and such.

Also, anybody interested in a higher quality Kiev Stream check out this: http://fr.twitch.tv/milleniumtv2
It's a French stream but nice if you prefer to see what's happening than to hear it

I also put all the VODs from yesterday on the catchall above

Also, also, M5 is running Kennen as their AD carry vs Sypher.
Ego Ignaxio has got to be pissed

Also, also, also, yesterday was day 2 of IPL Killing Spree with CLG (winners from last week) vs Curse Gaming. If anybody is wondering how Curse played while in Kiev, the matches for this are all actually pre-recorded days in advance.
RESULT

Spoiler:
Curse beats CLG 2-1

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:
Group A finishes
Spoiler:
TSM wins the group 3-0 with SK coming in second at 2-1
Fairly expected results. I'm happy that Curse managed to find a sub in time for their AP Carry, they lost in the first round but at least they got to play

I didn't get to see any of the matches so I don't really have commentary on them.

Spoiler:
Yeah, expected, especially with Curse a man down. SK against TSM looked like SK isn't a solid team yet with the new lineup, but they did make it through the group.

Chaox played a ridiculously sick Sivir against SK. He was 11-0 until he died on the final push for the Nexus. And I think he only died because SK knew they lost and someone went looking for a revenge kill. Regi's Sion CS was also insane, over 300.

AD Kennen, huh? Okay.

drdoak wrote:
AD Kennen, huh? Okay.

It's worth watching. Note the CS.

aAa vs. Dignitas live now, doing picks and bans (10:55 EST).

aAa vs. Dignitas over.

Spoiler:

Another wicked Sivir performance. This is pre-Vayne nerf, right? Nunu is a rough support bot lane against Vayne.

Group B results:

Spoiler:

M5 3-0
Dignitas 2-1
aAa 1-2
Sypher 0-3

I've only recently started paying attention to the competitive scene but man does it seem like competitive champ diversity is WAY down. Seems like the bans are always chosen from the same pool of 10-15 champs and what's left is chosen from a pool about the same size. There are occasional outliers of course, but in a game with a champion population over 90 it's pretty disappointing seeing the same 20 champs represented every time out.

Jow wrote:
I've only recently started paying attention to the competitive scene but man does it seem like competitive champ diversity is WAY down. Seems like the bans are always chosen from the same pool of 10-15 champs and what's left is chosen from a pool about the same size. There are occasional outliers of course, but in a game with a champion population over 90 it's pretty disappointing seeing the same 20 champs represented every time out.

True. It'd be interesting to go back through the last couple big championships and note champ frequency. If there are five roles on a team, I'm guessing there are about 5 champs per role that are played regularly - but that's a gut feeling. I don't know if it's accurate or not.

Are you familiar with the Tier lists? The pros definitely think some champs have more value than others. I guess I'm not too surprised by that; it'd be pretty tough to balance 90.

sithload wrote:
FedoraMcQuaid wrote:
Group A finishes
Spoiler:
TSM wins the group 3-0 with SK coming in second at 2-1
Fairly expected results. I'm happy that Curse managed to find a sub in time for their AP Carry, they lost in the first round but at least they got to play

I didn't get to see any of the matches so I don't really have commentary on them.

Spoiler:
Yeah, expected, especially with Curse a man down. SK against TSM looked like SK isn't a solid team yet with the new lineup, but they did make it through the group.

Chaox played a ridiculously sick Sivir against SK. He was 11-0 until he died on the final push for the Nexus. And I think he only died because SK knew they lost and someone went looking for a revenge kill. Regi's Sion CS was also insane, over 300.


Spoiler:
SK got horrendously outpicked. Sion counters LeBlanc pretty hard, and Teemo usually has a slight advantage on Irelia, though that wasn't the case in the match. Janna/Vayne is also a weird combo. Usually you want heals with Vayne because she tends to take more poke damage since her range is short, but TSM banned Soraka and then early picked Sona so SK didn't have much choice. But picking LeBlanc before the other team has picked either solo? Just a dumb decision.

sithload wrote:
Jow wrote:
I've only recently started paying attention to the competitive scene but man does it seem like competitive champ diversity is WAY down. Seems like the bans are always chosen from the same pool of 10-15 champs and what's left is chosen from a pool about the same size. There are occasional outliers of course, but in a game with a champion population over 90 it's pretty disappointing seeing the same 20 champs represented every time out.

True. It'd be interesting to go back through the last couple big championships and note champ frequency. If there are five roles on a team, I'm guessing there are about 5 champs per role that are played regularly - but that's a gut feeling. I don't know if it's accurate or not.

Are you familiar with the Tier lists? The pros definitely think some champs have more value than others. I guess I'm not too surprised by that; it'd be pretty tough to balance 90.


The pro scene is partly balance, partly flavor of the month meta, and partly playing champs the players are good at. It's pretty much impossible to be good at every champ with the rate they're released, so players tend to practice a handful of champs that do well in the current meta. So you often get very similar picks and bans.

It's always fun to see someone pick an unplayed champ and do well with them, like when Dan Dinh played Heimer once and just wrecked face with him. Heimer then got banned in all of Epik's remaining games because no one ever plays against Heimer.

Semifinal results:

Spoiler:
[TSM vs Dignitas] TSM wins 2-0
[M5 vs SK] M5 wins 2-0

Pretty uninteresting games, but should make for a great final tomorrow.

Final results

Spoiler:
Moscow 5 beats Team Solomid 2-1 for the tourney win