SimCity 5 Catch-All - Offline mode coming in next update

They can all go to hell, except GWJtropolis #2!*

*sorry, Mel.

Cobble wrote:
strangederby wrote:

I used to love sim city but playing the old version years ago has completely burned me out. This was back in the 90's way before I had any Internet access. I spent months and months building and rebuilding city's trying to work out why my water system wasn't working. Laying and relaying pipes and building water tower after water tower.

Not so long ago I mentioned this to a friend and he goes, "Oh yeah that was a well known bug didn't you know". Months wasted.

So no thanks.

Be careful posting just to poo poo on something everyone else is excited for. Sometimes its better just to avoid a thread for a game you don't intend to play.

Sure. Don't get me wrong I'm not denying it's a great game. This is just a personal, subjective opinion I don't expect other people to share.

Caved in after seeing this thread jump to life and watching the videos. I promise to not pollute any of your cities...okay, maybe just one! Origin ID is Kerplunken

I'm in too, if there's room somewhere. Origin ID is "ChipRMonk"

Heh, I wonder if this will run in a window, so I can multi-task. If not, may not sleep much this week.

[quote=strangederby]

Cobble wrote:
strangederby wrote:

I used to love sim city but playing the old version years ago has completely burned me out. This was back in the 90's way before I had any Internet access. I spent months and months building and rebuilding city's trying to work out why my water system wasn't working. Laying and relaying pipes and building water tower after water tower.

Not so long ago I mentioned this to a friend and he goes, "Oh yeah that was a well known bug didn't you know". Months wasted.

So no thanks.

Be careful posting just to poo poo on something everyone else is excited for. Sometimes its better just to avoid a thread for a game you don't intend to play.

While I'm excited about SimCity (though not Day One excited), there's nothing wrong with someone posting to say they don't share that excitement. The thread is SimCity 5 Catch-All, not SimCity 5 Politburo approved propaganda.

Coming in just to say "I'm not playing this", especially when the reason is unrelated, serves no purpose and doesn't typically fly well here. No one has a problem with topical negativity as long as it's in the spirit of conversation.

I'm not playing this.

However, if rave reviews continue to come in after it releases, I may change my tune. One can only live with so much peer pressure, you know.

Meanwhile, I have virtual European cargo to deliver! If SimCity let you drive the trucks across regions, I'd be all over this.

LiquidMantis wrote:

Coming in just to say "I'm not playing this", especially when the reason is unrelated, serves no purpose and doesn't typically fly well here. No one has a problem with topical negativity as long as it's in the spirit of conversation.

This.

There is no "Politboro Propagangda" whatsoever and I find that insinuation to be a bit silly. It's just about being negative for negatives sake. As a community we generally are pretty ok at avoiding that.

Back on topic, has anyone heard anything about origin preloads starting? I know that they have stated there will be a preload but the hour is drawing near.

I'm wondering how we set up the people in the regions. Hopefully we don't all have to be online at one time... because that would be a problem for me, working swing shifts Mondays through Wednesdays.

Might have to join up with the late-comers region otherwise.

I really wanted to not want this - The previews only had me mildly interested (and HOTS is imminent), but I made the mistake of watching a few videos on YouTube and a bit of a stream on Twitch and now I must have it.

I guess I'll play this until HOTS, finish HOTS single player, suck at HOTS online and then revert to SimCity

Edit: May have missed this, but how many players can you have per region? I'm also interested if there's space.

I'm not playing this because LiquidMantis is a communist.

Scamby wrote:

Edit: May have missed this, but how many players can you have per region? I'm also interested if there's space.

Most is 16 per region.

I'm playing this because Q-Stone is not playing it.

Incidentally, I'm apparently un-playing this. I got an email from Amazon:

We wanted to let you know your pre-order for "SimCity - Limited Edition [Download]" was inadvertently canceled by our system. We're very sorry about this. If you’d still like to purchase "SimCity - Limited Edition [Download]," you may pre-order again at the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VTVRFA

To make up for any inconvenience, we've applied a $5 promotional certificate to your Amazon.com account which you can use the next time you order an item sold by Amazon.com. Additionally, you can re-place your order between now and March 4th to receive the additional Limited Edition Bonus content including the Heroes and Villians content.

I have no other Origin games, but it seems like the place to get it? I wish it was in Steam with my other 100 games.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

I'm not playing this because LiquidMantis is a communist.

Don't be bitter that we rejected your application to the party.

Ranger Rick wrote:

I have no other Origin games, but it seems like the place to get it? I wish it was in Steam with my other 100 games. :(

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't Origin required regardless?

Quintin wrote:

I'm not playing this because LiquidMantis is a communist.

That statement is ambiguous.

LiquidMantis wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't Origin required regardless?

I... don't know? I guess? I mean, I have an Origin account I made for NHL 13, but as far as I'm concerned it's just an email address I registered for cloud saves. Using it as a Steam "game locker" type thing is another matter. But if it needs such things anyways, I guess I might as well buy it through the Origin app, unless folks have a better suggestion.

Just so ya know, I'm in Australia, and the game doesn't release here until the 7th because the internet has to get here by boat. I'll also likely be online at odd hours, excepting weekends when I should be able to come on in the mornings. So if you are keen on min-maxing the hell out of GWJtopia #1, you can shuffle me out.

Just so you know though, that means the rest of you guys will need to manage the poisonous animals, import your own cork hats, and keep an eye on Russell Crowe. He can be a handful.

Since the last time I looked in this thread more than 300 posts had been made. I assumed that the game had come out and you guys were all talking about it. I finally read through to find out what you guys thought and whether I should get it and you haven't played it at all!

A bunch of teases you all, now stop talking until the game is done.

Count me in! I preordered mine at Gamefly and will be downloading tomorrow night!

Hopefully this turns out good. Keeping an eye on this thread to see how you guys respond.

Cobble wrote:

There is no "Politboro Propagangda" whatsoever and I find that insinuation to be a bit silly. It's just about being negative for negatives sake. As a community we generally are pretty ok at avoiding that.

Yeah--I think the reaction is more because there've been more than a few negative posts on the thread (I mean: look at the original post... :D), and those of us who've been following it for a while just want to roll our eyes when a new one pops up. (Although not nearly as much as when an [em]old[/em] one pops up.) Folks who're just now tuning in probably haven't seen that history, making the reaction seem a little odd.

Hypatian wrote:
Cobble wrote:

There is no "Politboro Propagangda" whatsoever and I find that insinuation to be a bit silly. It's just about being negative for negatives sake. As a community we generally are pretty ok at avoiding that.

Yeah--I think the reaction is more because there've been more than a few negative posts on the thread (I mean: look at the original post... :D), and those of us who've been following it for a while just want to roll our eyes when a new one pops up. (Although not nearly as much as when an [em]old[/em] one pops up.) Folks who're just now tuning in probably haven't seen that history, making the reaction seem a little odd.

This. Hopefully we'll see a new thread when the game's released.

I'll bite. I'm totally apathetic about this now.... :-p

Knowing me, I would buy it full price, but by the time I actually sat down and tried to play it, either the servers would be terminated or there'd not be enough online community left to be worth the effort.

Edit: Guess we'll see if the above holds true. I'm such a damn sucker...

Add me to GWJtropolis #2 please Thanks! (origin id: cwoodard73)

I just bought the digital deluxe version. GWJCrunch on Origin, please friend me up. I'll be happy to build a city in whatever GWJ region I'm allocated to.
I do expect I'll be able to play day 1, but not until the evening.

Cobble wrote:

Back on topic, has anyone heard anything about origin preloads starting?

The information on the SimCity forums is that preloads will start at 9pm Monday. I can't recall whether that is Pacific time, and I don't know whether it's from someone at Maxis or a forummonger being wishful. As for when the servers will allow players to log in, there's nothing definitive that I can find, but I haven't checked the forums for that in awhile.

Mantid wrote:

I'm wondering how we set up the people in the regions. Hopefully we don't all have to be online at one time...

I've done quite a bit of looking into this on the SimCity forums. We don't have a clear answer on some things, but we do know that no, you don't have to be online at the same time. The cities and regions actively run on the Maxis/EA servers, not our computers, so cities will continue to buy and sell commodities and dispatch emergency services even while the owner is offline.

-------------GWJTropolises-------------

GWJtropolis #1
1. Laarrs [Laarrs_GWJ]
2. IUMogg [IUMoggg]
3. LiquidMantis [LiquidmantisGWJ]
4. Tkyl [Tkyl]
5. ZaneRockfist [BoogtehWoog]
6. Edgar_Newt [EdgarNewt]
7. Farscry [FarscryGWJ]
8. zojirushi [zojirushi_bot]
9. Mantid [MantidSwarm]
10. deftly [deftly0]
11. Keithustus [Keithustus] (try searching for "Keithu"
12. Elysium [ElysiumGWJ]
13. Apollo0507 [Apollo0507]
14. LupusUmbrus [LupusUmbrus]
15. ChrisLTD [ChrisLTD]
16. clever id [clever_id]

GWJtropolis #2
1. jonnypolite [jonnypolite]
2. Redwing [Rothving]
3. davet010 [DaveT010]
4. Lucky Wilbury [LuckyWilburyGWJ]
5. Toddland [GWJ_Toddland]
6. omnipherous [oOomnipherousOo]
7. Cobble [Cobble75]
8. TempestBlayze [TempestBlayze]
9. Lothar [Lothars]
10. Robear [RobearGWJ]
11. mateofalcone [MateoFalconeGWJ]
12. Coolbeans...? "In" for the game or for playing in GWJerville?
13. Kestrel [cwoodard73]
14. crunchy [GWJCrunch]

Please post if there are any errors.

edit: If you've preordered on Origin you should be able to see when the preload becomes available. Apparently players in East Asia will be able to preload slightly earlier than those in North America. Me....waiting for an Amazon box.

edit 2: Reportedly EA has indicated that the game servers will actually go live at 12:01 am EST (Tue, Mar 5), which is 9:01 pm PST (Mon,Mar 4). Congratulations late-night West Coasters.

Wow, fielding two teams now!

Hypatian wrote:
Cobble wrote:

There is no "Politboro Propagangda" whatsoever and I find that insinuation to be a bit silly. It's just about being negative for negatives sake. As a community we generally are pretty ok at avoiding that.

Yeah--I think the reaction is more because there've been more than a few negative posts on the thread (I mean: look at the original post... :D), and those of us who've been following it for a while just want to roll our eyes when a new one pops up. (Although not nearly as much as when an [em]old[/em] one pops up.) Folks who're just now tuning in probably haven't seen that history, making the reaction seem a little odd.

Alright, "Politburo Propaganda" was a stretch, a joke that fell flat. My concern is for posts that suggest that a person's opinion is not welcome, when the person is saying nothing slanderous or offensive. I understand the desire to have productive, substantive conversation about the game, but shutting down other views has the effect of, well, shutting down other views. Personally, I gain as much from hearing about what somebody doesn't like about the game, or a previous version of the game, as hearing about why people are high on it.

It looks like the first definitive database for buildings and game mechanics is already well on its way: simcityhub has tech-tree and benefits info and guides such as how to set up a new region/game.

Thanks, Keith! Looks like we'll need to determine who creates the regions for the groups that end up being made and then begin setting up invites. I would volunteer, but I am getting the physical copy sent to me from Amazon and so I probably won't be among the first to be set up.