Calling all controller gurus: Need help with a metal DDR pad

I bought this RedOctane metal DDR pad a loooong time ago and I'm trying to get it working now that I have the room to use it again.

The problem is the control box. I no longer have one as it was somehow smashed while in storage and then lost in a void for all for eternity.

It looked like this:

IMAGE(http://www.popsynth.com/ddrpad/redstock.jpg)
IMAGE(http://www.popsynth.com/ddrpad/redlikboth.jpg)

The pad itself was mapped to PS2/Xbox face buttons and the control box had START/SELECT. The pad itself connects to the control box via a 15 pin thingyamabob (DDR pad is female, control box is male):

Image

I've searched the usual places and cannot find the RedOctane control box. I've found someone on Ebay selling control boxes but didn't get a clear answer as to whether or not it would work specifically with my RO metal pad.

I'm confident that the pad itself still works. So I'm wondering what my options are. I'd like to connect to my PS2 at least. If it's possible to connect it to my PC with a converter, that would be even better. Even a tutorial that involves rewiring a PS2 controller or creating my own control box would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

Can't help you, even a little bit, except by saying so.... so people who look for 'X new', and click on that, will see that your thread is here.

You might be out of luck with an off the shelf solution, but the Stepmania forums seem to have some information on crafting your own. It seems to just be a matter of getting the pinout right - if the control box has the same pinout, you should be good. You might be able to search the stepmania forums and figure out the pinout for the pad you have.

The control box you linked to is also sold here. They also have a four-in-one option so you could do both PS2 and PC. It might be worth emailing them to see if they can verify it's compatibility.

fuzzyb wrote:

The control box you linked to is also sold here. They also have a four-in-one option so you could do both PS2 and PC. It might be worth emailing them to see if they can verify it's compatibility.

Ugh, I thought that my metal pad options were gone when Cobalt Flux disappeared a year or two ago. I thought my wallet was safe. >:o

Mystic, while I don't think the DDRgame control box will work as-is with the Afterburner (control box uses 15 pin d-sub, afterburner uses 9 pin), it wouldn't be difficult to build yourself a simple adapter cable that connected the right pins between the two. The pin layout of the DDRgame control box serial connector is documented here (also here), and with a volt meter and a little time you could figure out the pins on the pad yourself. If that sounds like something that would be over your head, maybe someone at a local computer shop would have the necessary expertise to help out?

I have a metal dance pad in the garage with a similar adaptor. We tried to sell the pad in a garage sale a while back so I don't think the wife would object if I separated the pad and adaptor. Marking this as a favorite so I can remember to dig it out to see if it matches.

fuzzyb wrote:

You might be out of luck with an off the shelf solution, but the Stepmania forums seem to have some information on crafting your own. It seems to just be a matter of getting the pinout right - if the control box has the same pinout, you should be good. You might be able to search the stepmania forums and figure out the pinout for the pad you have.

Unfortunately, I can't see the info in the Stepmania forum links. I see a message that says the forums were taken down due to spam.

psoplayer wrote:

Mystic, while I don't think the DDRgame control box will work as-is with the Afterburner (control box uses 15 pin d-sub, afterburner uses 9 pin), it wouldn't be difficult to build yourself a simple adapter cable that connected the right pins between the two. The pin layout of the DDRgame control box serial connector is documented here (also here), and with a volt meter and a little time you could figure out the pins on the pad yourself. If that sounds like something that would be over your head, maybe someone at a local computer shop would have the necessary expertise to help out?

I called DDRGame and they said it wouldn't work because its a different model. Not sure how far I want take it. I'll see if I can get some outside help.

complexmath wrote:

I have a metal dance pad in the garage with a similar adaptor. We tried to sell the pad in a garage sale a while back so I don't think the wife would object if I separated the pad and adaptor. Marking this as a favorite so I can remember to dig it out to see if it matches.

Thanks! It's a one in a million shot but I like those odds.

Mystic Violet wrote:
psoplayer wrote:

Mystic, while I don't think the DDRgame control box will work as-is with the Afterburner (control box uses 15 pin d-sub, afterburner uses 9 pin), it wouldn't be difficult to build yourself a simple adapter cable that connected the right pins between the two. The pin layout of the DDRgame control box serial connector is documented here (also here), and with a volt meter and a little time you could figure out the pins on the pad yourself. If that sounds like something that would be over your head, maybe someone at a local computer shop would have the necessary expertise to help out?

I called DDRGame and they said it wouldn't work because its a different model. Not sure how far I want take it. I'll see if I can get some outside help.

Radio Shack or another similar place would also be a good place to ask for help. It's a relatively simple problem in the world of electronics. Each little pin corresponds to one of the buttons on the controller. As long as you can get the matching pins connected from one end to the other, you're done!

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same dance pad. Here's a shot of the adaptor:

IMAGE(http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/complexmath/adaptor_zps40b43e25.jpg)

I bet the one on eBay would work, but I could probably just send you this one. I don't suppose you want the pad too?

psoplayer wrote:

Radio Shack or another similar place would also be a good place to ask for help. It's a relatively simple problem in the world of electronics. Each little pin corresponds to one of the buttons on the controller. As long as you can get the matching pins connected from one end to the other, you're done!

Haha. I'm more of software person. Maybe hubby can figure it out as he's a hardware guy. Thanks!

complexmath wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same dance pad. Here's a shot of the adaptor:

I bet the one on eBay would work, but I could probably just send you this one. I don't suppose you want the pad too? ;-)

Nice! Is there a label on the pad itself? Some of the metal ones use similar arrows and color schemes. But that just might work!

If the pad still works, how much? I know shipping is gonna be a lot but that's cool. And if you have any of the PS2 games, that'll be nice too. Let me know!

DDR Extreme and DDRMAX2. Cover packing and shipping and I'll send it all to you. I have no idea what that will come out to though.

Wow, excellent selection. If I had to pick just two from the PS2 era, those would be the ones. (Followed closely by DDRMAX, and a far more distant Extreme 2)

Of course, Stepmania is the true answer to having a complete song seleciton.

complexmath wrote:

DDR Extreme and DDRMAX2. Cover packing and shipping and I'll send it all to you. I have no idea what that will come out to though.

@complexmath I don't know if you did end up selling it to him or not, but if you haven't I would definitely take the pad + control box off your hands for the cost of shipping! I've been looking for a new pad for a long time now but all the ones online are too expensive

I never got it boxed and shipped because it's enormous and heavy and I'm lazy. Not sure I still have all the parts for it any more, but I'll check.