Wasteland 2 Catch-All: GOTY edition coming soon

There was an album-boxed edition of Wasteland (fairly rare) listed on eBay the other week. I considered getting it, since no one had bid on it yet, but Kickstarter has me tapped out this month. I check back today, and the first auction ended without bids, so the seller relisted it and it sold for $202.

Should have seen that one coming.

Q&A update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...

So... what do I play if I want to get the feel of this? Other than the original, which I just can't do. Is there something that came out in the last 10 years that's similar?

Official concept art of Scorpitron 2.0

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/1VeFU.jpg)

Sexxxxxy

Now look at that, Wasteland 2 is at $2.5 million (including the $69,850 donated through Paypal). Also, NMA has transcribed a copy of the AMA Reddit interview with Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone.

Yay, Scorpitron! Tech in Wasteland was scary stuff. Glad to see that concept brought forward.

(Wallpaper-quality version.)

Gremlin wrote:

There was an album-boxed edition of Wasteland (fairly rare) listed on eBay the other week. I considered getting it, since no one had bid on it yet, but Kickstarter has me tapped out this month. I check back today, and the first auction ended without bids, so the seller relisted it and it sold for $202.

Should have seen that one coming.

Wow. I still have mine. Even have the disks. Not sure where my journal is, though.

Tannhauser wrote:

Now look at that, Wasteland 2 is at $2.5 million (including the $69,850 donated through Paypal). Also, NMA has transcribed a copy of the AMA Reddit interview with Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone.

Hey, Tanglebones represented like a mutha! Nice!

Tannhauser wrote:

Official concept art of Scorpitron 2.0

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/1VeFU.jpg)

Ah, that's nice! I really like the idea of a post-apocalyptic setting where the world's not blasted all to hell, merely the apocalypse is man disappearing/mostly dying off. Natural reclamation!
And a scorpitron. Maybe he's there killing off humans who try to chop down the trees!

Tannhauser wrote:

NMA has transcribed a copy of the AMA Reddit interview with Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone.

Chris Avellone wrote:

Linearity can suck my balls.

I LOL'd.

Good questions and good answers. Thanks for the link, Tannhauser.

No problem, the raw Reddit version is a pain, I appreciated an easily-read version and I thought everyone else would too.

So less than 40 hours until the end of this kickstarter. They've added a bunch of new stuff to the $30 tier, obviously to encourage people at the $15 tier to upgrade.

Official list of rewards added to $30 tier wrote:
  • An extra digital download of the game in any format. Many people wanted to be able to get a Mac AND a PC version, or PC and Linux, or even an extra PC version for a friend. Now you can.
  • Access to a collection of exclusive Ranger portraits that will double the pool of character portraits you have to choose from at the start of the game when you are rolling up your Rangers. This unique image collection will not only give you more Ranger portraits, but more Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map.
  • Access to a four-episode Video Development Blog that will show you an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the design and development of Wasteland 2. Sit in on designer meetings and art-review meetings to see the process behind how the game is made. See interviews with Brian Fargo, Chris Avellone, Mike Stackpole, Alan Pavlish, and the rest of the development team as they explain to you what they are doing and why they are doing it.
  • A novella by Chris Avellone based on the universe of Wasteland.

You know, considering that Fargo and Wasteland aren't as well known as Tim and all his various titles, they're doing pretty darn well. 2.6 million right now, compared to the 3.3 million of Double Fine's project.

I hope they'll do the mod kit anyway, you'd think something like that would speed their own internal development.

Tannhauser wrote:

So less than 40 hours until the end of this kickstarter. They've added a bunch of new stuff to the $30 tier, obviously to encourage people at the $15 tier to upgrade.

Up'd. No idea whether I'll like the game or not, but that's a damn good deal.

cyrax wrote:
Tannhauser wrote:

So less than 40 hours until the end of this kickstarter. They've added a bunch of new stuff to the $30 tier, obviously to encourage people at the $15 tier to upgrade.

Up'd. No idea whether I'll like the game or not, but that's a damn good deal.

I up'd as well. The novella sounds like a good primer for the gameworld, and I always like seeing the behind the scenes footage.

Hmm, have they said whether the new $30 goodies are going to be there for people who are bought in at the higher levels?

Tanglebones wrote:

Hmm, have they said whether the new $30 goodies are going to be there for people who are bought in at the higher levels?

Yes, they have.

From Update #13:

Of course, all backers who are in at higher levels will also get all of these added items too.
chaosmos wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:

Hmm, have they said whether the new $30 goodies are going to be there for people who are bought in at the higher levels?

Yes, they have.

Woo!

Of course, all backers who are in at higher levels will also get all of these added items too.

So, yup.

Edit: Dang, tannhauser'ed

Sadly had to decrease my pledge in order to give more to the Shadowrun Kickstarter

Kinda sucks that all those awesome projects ALL arrived at the same time

Brian Fargo is throwing a party and you are invited! It's the wrap party, they are mixing it up with some interviews now and then. Looks like everyone brought their families, lots of children and SOs. Also there is an adorable kid who is talking to the camera on helium.

9 hours left and the Kickstarter is just about $100,000 short of $3 million.

Okay, I finally signed up for Kickstarter and made this my first project backed. I went for the $30 tier, really just for the novella. I'm still a bit wary about the possibility of them running out of money, etc., but if this is anything like a sequel to the isometric Fallout games but with modern technology, it's going to be sick.

I may have to give Shadowrun my second pledge. We'll see.

Has anyone heard if the 'old school instruction book' promised in the $50 pledge is indeed an old-school spiral-bound tome as in the original Fallout/Fallout 2? With recipes?

Just ended 5 minutes ago. Final tally:

61,288 Backers
$2,933,147

(Plus the paypal donations). I'm guessing they're really close to the $3.000.000 mark with those factored in.

Average donation: $47.86
Double fine's 87,142 backers donated an average of $38.29. I wonder if the Wasteland fanbase is just more 'rabid' or if the rewards were more enticing, or...something.

AUs_TBirD wrote:

Average donation: $47.86
Double fine's 87,142 backers donated an average of $38.29. I wonder if the Wasteland fanbase is just more 'rabid' or if the rewards were more enticing, or...something.

Given the fact that the instruction manual played such a key part in the original game, I'm betting the physical boxed copy with 'old-school instruction manual' was a huge temptation to go for $50 and up in this case. At least for the old fogeys like me who are on the nostalgia kick with this one.

I went $50 for the cloth map.

I went in for $100... I just love the concept of a high quality relatively high budget CRPG.

$50 for the swag, yeah..

According to Brian Fargo, they have crossed $3 million with the PayPal donations. That's beyond awesome! Can't wait to see this.

The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Drive just ended, closing in at $2,933,147. The Paypal Drive (which will not close until later today for the Johnny-come-latelies among us) adds $107,152. This puts the total funds raised at $3,040,299.

While Wasteland 2 did not end up beating Double Fine Adventures, it raised significantly more than most of us were predicting beforehand. It has hit all of the funding goals it set for itself, and because of that added Linux and Mac versions, Russian and Polish localizations, Chris Avellone design, Obsidian tools and a modkit to its development goals.

Well done, everyone!

Yay!