Happy Hump Day Survey!

IMAGE(https://s.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2011/12/three-amigos-1323716077.jpg)

I'm sure I have a better answer, but for some reason this is just stuck in my head at the moment.

John Lennon definitely would have been up there in my teen years, though I've been trying to think who my first idols were. I think I was a weird kid because this is what I came up with:

Fictional:
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/QV0txOa.jpg)

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/bmaVvew.jpg)

Real:
IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/PByq5Ul.jpg)

This is going to sound odd, but...

Elton John and Gloria Steinem.

I'll explain if someone is curious.

Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting the Patriarchy?

IMAGE(http://b50ym1n8ryw31pmkr4671ui1c64.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/11/files/2013/05/magic-school-bus-2-300x242.jpg)

Probably my dad for all the stuff he knew how to do. Fixing stuff around the house, car repair, etc. I learned a lot from him.

I was a pretty isolated kid growing up. I didn't know much about celebrities or real world heroes while I was growing up. It wasn't until after college when that part of my brain opened up. So I'm really impressed by people that put Lennon, Steinem, etc. I'd say my heroes/idols growing up were more a type of person. The puzzle solvers / detectives like Hardy Boys and Batman.

HAPPY HUMP DAY!!!

Courtesy of LouZiffer, "What is the worst movie you love? (No cult classic cop-outs!)"

What other people think is a worst movie does that mean?

A lot of people hate Speed Racer but I love that movie.

I translate it as either something a lot of other people or critics hated, or that you just recognize is bad but you love it for some reason.

Like this week I made Cptdomano watch the original IT again after seeing the new one because I LOVE it. Not just the amazing performance by Tim Curry, but every damn cheesy moment of it.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/G2dPyiJ.jpg)

My classic answer to this has always been Hudson Hawk. Bruce Willis in a bad comedy will always be a good time.

I loved this movie growing up. It's about a cop that gets super powers - until he sees the color red. Anyone remember it?

I'd forgotten that babby Seth Green was in the old IT.

Hmm. This is tough, because almost everything I can think of probably qualifies as a cult classic to someone. Ok, here's one that I haven't seen in almost 30 years, so I may actually loathe it now, but I remember enjoying the hell out of this when I was a kid:

No Sleepaway Camp, Grenn?

I *HATE* that movie.

WHAT?!!! There are people that don't like Hackers!? Shame on them.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK. SPICE WORLD IS IN NO WAY BAD.

Yeah I do remember Midnight Madness fondly!

Tanglebones wrote:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK. SPICE WORLD IS IN NO WAY BAD.

You watched Spice World. You know, I would do anything for love, but I won't do that.

karmajay wrote:

Yeah I do remember Midnight Madness fondly!

I loved Midnight Madness! Haven't re-watched it though. I think I'll leave it to the mists of time so another childhood memory isn't ruined.

John Carter!

Spoiler:

It's actually a great movie if you're a fan of the books. Out of that context, it seems like a very generic and silly space movie given how sci-fi evolved after those books were written.

Tanglebones wrote:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK. SPICE WORLD IS IN NO WAY BAD.

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not saying that it is bad, I'm saying that aside from you and me everyone else thinks it's bad. Everyone else has something wrong with them.

I can't offer an explanation...

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

John Carter!

Spoiler:

It's actually a great movie if you're a fan of the books. Out of that context, it seems like a very generic and silly space movie given how sci-fi evolved after those books were written.

Wow I disagree here trying to mash all the different events into one movie kind of spoiled it for me.

Saturday the 14th. I admit it's terrible and not worthy of being called a cult classic. It clicks with me for no apparent reason. Maybe because I'd watch it repeatedly on HBO as a kid.

Oddly enough, about a month ago a friend of mine introduced me to a film that is perfect for this topic. Keep in mind that it is now a running in-joke that, whenever this guy is complaining about a really good film the rest of us like (or video game, or anime, or music, or food, or episode of The Partridge Family), we simply say "Meteor Man". Because he likes the movie, and it is just one example of his notoriously bad taste.

But holy crap, The Big Hit is a bad movie I can't help but have a soft spot for. It's a 1998 film that feels like it was made in 1992, as the impact of Grunge Rock and The Matrix seem to have never hit its sensibilities or aesthetic. It's like a bunch of (frat) guys from a film school were given the cash to make a movie and their entire thesis was "Yo let's just have fun". They hit all the beats you'd expect, and while they try to make a joke out of cliches and tropes they never try to subvert or be ironic about them. There's no higher mission statement or anything. It's just... what it is.

What really does it for me is seeing Lou Diamond Phillips playing a character like I've never seen him and the actor who played Sisqo on Deep Space Nine being a crime boss that drops the F-Bomb a lot. Speaking of, Lou Diamond's character happens to be named Cisco.

This is not a good movie, and if it has a cult it's a cult of juggalos that are in love with it. If I ever wanted revenge against ClockworkHouse for saying mean (even if true) things about the games of my beloved childhood, I would strap her to a chair Clockwork Orange style and force her to watch this film. But God damn did it entertain me in a confusing way.

Caution: character doesn't projectile vomit, but there's some up-chucking in this clip.

I used to like that movie but can't really stand the trope of "girl falls for nice kidnapper" any more.

Back when I had faith in Zack Snyder, he made Sucker Punch. It has practically no story, it plays out like a video game, and it suffers from the Snyder soundtrack, but I love it. The weird covers he uses for the music really grew on me, and I love the visuals. I wish it had a more solid story that made more sense so it could have been appreciated more by the masses.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

[Riddick]

This would have been mine up to a year or so ago. Ever since Vin made weird sexual advances at an interviewer, I've lost my man crush for him.