Post me a .GIF - Tell me a story!

farley3k wrote:

I should learn to juggle. It always seems cool when I watch people do it.

You've got 2 solid years of practice ahead of you before you can pull off a flawless 4-ball multiplexed Mills Mess like that lady with a Youtube juggling channel does.

This'll be your first week....

IMAGE(https://media1.tenor.com/images/68033a29a575fea51ee02cbd77c625b0/tenor.gif?itemid=5215615)

Serious answer though, I've taught literally hundreds of people to juggle over the years, and 9 times out of 10, I can get them from nothing to a basic 3-ball cascade within an hour. PM me if you want a lesson over Zoom.

Feels outside my comfort zone to just try something new and learn via zoom but what the heck -

PM sent

farley3k wrote:

Feels outside my comfort zone to just try something new and learn via zoom but what the heck -

PM sent

We expect gifs of you learning now... good luck.

Jonman wrote:
farley3k wrote:

I should learn to juggle. It always seems cool when I watch people do it.

You've got 2 solid years of practice ahead of you before you can pull off a flawless 4-ball multiplexed Mills Mess like that lady with a Youtube juggling channel does.

This'll be your first week....

IMAGE(https://media1.tenor.com/images/68033a29a575fea51ee02cbd77c625b0/tenor.gif?itemid=5215615)

Serious answer though, I've taught literally hundreds of people to juggle over the years, and 9 times out of 10, I can get them from nothing to a basic 3-ball cascade within an hour. PM me if you want a lesson over Zoom.

My line is: If you can comfortably throw a ball from one hand to the other and back again then I can get you to a first full lap of a 3 ball cascade in 30 minutes.

What method do you use?
I go:
In and out of dominant hand.
In and out of non dominant hand.
2 balls and a gap.
Let's juggle.

What objects do you recommend starting with? Assuming I don't want to spend money.

Mixolyde wrote:

What objects do you recommend starting with? Assuming I don't want to spend money.

Honeybadgers.

Mixolyde wrote:

What objects do you recommend starting with? Assuming I don't want to spend money.

Depends on what you have laying around the house.

Koosh balls or hackey sacks are great to learn with. Tennis balls are maybe a touch too big and too bouncy to begin with. You could learn with three coins if you were really in a pinch. Save the cleavers and chainsaws for at least your second training session.

Also, I learned by standing up, facing my bed. That way when the balls inevitably fell, at least I didn't have to bend to the ground to pick them back up - makes for quicker restarts.

Chainsaws?

Bruce wrote:

What method do you use?
I go:
In and out of dominant hand.
In and out of non dominant hand.
2 balls and a gap.
Let's juggle.

Roughly similar:
1 ball back-and-forth (which is really just in and out of both hands).

2 balls: one in each hand - throw, throw (and let them drop). Gives you a chance to work on cadence, arc and height of the throw before trying to catch anything screws that up.

Same, but add the catch of the first ball (and let the second drop). Teaches the fundamental motion of the catch that occurs during the follow-through of the throw.

Repeat on other side.

Now tell them to catch the second ball and they're off to the races.

Show them a couple of basic tricks to work on e.g. reverse cascade (which opens up a few options like tennis and a half-shower) and a fork catch.

Mixolyde wrote:

What objects do you recommend starting with? Assuming I don't want to spend money.

Hacky sacks are good, but who's got three hacky sacks lying around? Conversely, a cheapass set of juggling balls won't cost you two lattes and will be fine. A nice set won't cost much more than $30.

Tennis balls are NOT great, especially for a learner. The reason beanbags are so good is that they've got a lot of give, so if your catches are a bit 'slappy', you're not batting the balls away from yourself.

merphle wrote:

Also, I learned by standing up, facing my bed. That way when the balls inevitably fell, at least I didn't have to bend to the ground to pick them back up - makes for quicker restarts.

But then you aren't forced to learn how to pick up and launch a ball with your feet!

I learned with silk scarfs as a kid, but now I have the coordination of a 3 legged rock.

Need to turn on the sound but it is good

I think I missed a step in this one.

How to paint a tiger:

Step 1: get paint and canvas

Step 2: paint tiger

That's known as "Draw the rest of the f*cking owl".

IMAGE(https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/572/078/d6d.jpg)

another one that tells a great story like the thread title asks for.

Wow, I should have watched the new Halo trailer sooner!

Is that a sequel to The General?

Danjo Olivaw wrote:

Is that a sequel to The General?

Master Chief is no Buster Keaton, that's for sure...

This text just matched the acting scene perfectly. Made me laugh

The Mould Effect

We used to do the Mould effect thing to demonstrate polymers to high school kids visiting our grad school. Always got some interest, that and the liquid nitrogen. Most other things didn't.