Persona 5

Dancing All Night is out in Japan which means a new trailer has leaked out:

Taken down.

Well that was fast

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Taken down. :)

Try this
http://megakazukiwolf.tumblr.com/pos...

That looks absolutely amazing.

Spoiler:

I love the whole thief/cat burglar theme. I did not realize that is what they were going for from the original trailer. Now the masks and prison aspects make sense!

LobsterMobster wrote:

Not a big fan of the masquerade aesthetic. I don't like how it looks in terms of style and it's a bit too on the nose as a metaphor. Then again, I didn't like the glasses in 4, either. It's kind of hard to beat teenagers shooting themselves in the head when it comes to impact (so to speak).

On the plus side, that cat mascot looks more tolerable than Teddy, and aside from the masks I like just about everything else in that trailer.

Heheh... it's interesting to read this after watching the new trailer. What are your thoughts now?

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

That looks absolutely amazing.

Spoiler:

I love the whole thief/cat burglar theme. I did not realize that is what they were going for from the original trailer. Now the masks and prison aspects make sense!

I want to give credit to pyxistyx who called this out with one of the first comments in response to the new trailer:

pyxistyx wrote:

Cat burglar who is an actual cat, in a catsuit? I'm ok with this :)

I approve this message.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:

Not a big fan of the masquerade aesthetic. I don't like how it looks in terms of style and it's a bit too on the nose as a metaphor. Then again, I didn't like the glasses in 4, either. It's kind of hard to beat teenagers shooting themselves in the head when it comes to impact (so to speak).

On the plus side, that cat mascot looks more tolerable than Teddy, and aside from the masks I like just about everything else in that trailer.

Heheh... it's interesting to read this after watching the new trailer. What are your thoughts now?

Hmmmmmm, well, let me have a look...

Assuming I dug up what I'm supposed to be looking at, it makes a little more sense conceptually but I still don't really care for the look of it aesthetically. By which I mean the masks. Or, mask, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I've always been in for a copy, just not sure how excited to be. It looks really gritty, and that appeals to me as a member of the 30-40 year old white male demographic.

I mean, the big problem is that thieves don't really dress like that, so it still doesn't say "thief" to me. Maybe if I give it some time.

Still haven't seen the trailer.

garion333 wrote:

Still haven't seen the trailer. :(

When I said "try this", I should have probably clarified that I was putting a link with the trailer. Let me try again!

Click this link to see the trailer: http://megakazukiwolf.tumblr.com/pos...

Man, I hope the PS3 version will be fairly comparable to the PS4 version. That looks sweet.

Chaz wrote:

Man, I hope the PS3 version will be fairly comparable to the PS4 version. That looks sweet.

I'd imagine the only major differences would be in the image fidelity for the non-cutscene gameplay. Maybe some more online integration?

Regardless, I'm really happy to see how much of an influence the art style of Catherine is having on this one.

Tanglebones wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Man, I hope the PS3 version will be fairly comparable to the PS4 version. That looks sweet.

I'd imagine the only major differences would be in the image fidelity for the non-cutscene gameplay. Maybe some more online integration?

Maybe some large loading times as well. Otherwise, I don't see why it wouldn't be close. It's not exactly a technical stunner.

Dyni wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Still haven't seen the trailer. :(

When I said "try this", I should have probably clarified that I was putting a link with the trailer. Let me try again!

Click this link to see the trailer: http://megakazukiwolf.tumblr.com/pos...

Sorry, I should clarify, wherever that video is hosted is blocked by my work. Youtube isn't, oddly enough. Gawd forbid IT stops watching YT vids.

(I'll watch it on my phone. Or wait.)

garion333 wrote:
Dyni wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Still haven't seen the trailer. :(

When I said "try this", I should have probably clarified that I was putting a link with the trailer. Let me try again!

Click this link to see the trailer: http://megakazukiwolf.tumblr.com/pos...

Sorry, I should clarify, wherever that video is hosted is blocked by my work. Youtube isn't, oddly enough. Gawd forbid IT stops watching YT vids.

(I'll watch it on my phone. Or wait.)

Here's a reupload that hasn't been deleted yet on YT:

Noice! Thanks!

Oh, it's in Japanese with no subs. Hmmm. Still awesome!!

Are all (J)RPGs adding action elements to them now? FFXV. Persona 5. Is it making these games more interesting and kinetic or simply a fad? Something like that.

What action elements are being added that weren't there before? I see what looks like maybe some options for ducking between hiding places, but that's about it.

What action elements are you referring to? I only see some light stealth and timing bits when running around the dungeon.

Dyni wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Man, I hope the PS3 version will be fairly comparable to the PS4 version. That looks sweet.

I'd imagine the only major differences would be in the image fidelity for the non-cutscene gameplay. Maybe some more online integration?

Maybe some large loading times as well. Otherwise, I don't see why it wouldn't be close. It's not exactly a technical stunner.

I'm hoping this is true, and I think it might be for the reasons cited. (Provisional) hooray!

shoptroll wrote:

What action elements are you referring to? I only see some light stealth and timing bits when running around the dungeon.

I just watched it again. That could make running around the dungeons a lot less or a lot more tedious. In P3 and P4, your only option for sneaking up on an enemy blob was to stay out of the view cone until it turned its back. Then you'd just run up as fast as you can and nail it with the sword. If they add a few more options for sneaking up on enemy blobs, that should theoretically be a lot more fun and interesting. If it just delays the enemy fight, it might get a little annoying and just delay the inevitable fight you want to get to, but we'll see. It depends on the implementation. At any rate, it looks cool.

I'm curious if they carry over something from SMT x FE. In that game (which, by the way, looks a heck of a lot like a Persona game) if you whack enemies in the field you'll stun them for a time. Then, you can either skip combat entirely or run into them to initiate combat with a first turn advantage. I would love to see that in a Persona game.

(One thing I forgot to mention a few months/pages ago when talking about the mainline SMT games is that I really appreciate how demon negotiation [and especially the expanded negotiation options in SMT IV] give you more options for skipping, avoiding, or bugging out on combat than simply sneaking past enemies or running away.)

ClockworkHouse wrote:

In that game (which, by the way, looks a heck of a lot like a Persona game) if you whack enemies in the field you'll stun them for a time. Then, you can either skip combat entirely or run into them to initiate combat with a first turn advantage.

That'd be awesome!

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
shoptroll wrote:

What action elements are you referring to? I only see some light stealth and timing bits when running around the dungeon.

I just watched it again. That could make running around the dungeons a lot less or a lot more tedious. In P3 and P4, your only option for sneaking up on an enemy blob was to stay out of the view cone until it turned its back. Then you'd just run up as fast as you can and nail it with the sword. If they add a few more options for sneaking up on enemy blobs, that should theoretically be a lot more fun and interesting. If it just delays the enemy fight, it might get a little annoying and just delay the inevitable fight you want to get to, but we'll see. It depends on the implementation. At any rate, it looks cool.

Yeah, that's the sort of things I'm talking about. They trailers are making it look slicker to move around and whatnot. Makes things more actiony seeming. Is that a trend right now? I ask since we then have the opposite with the indie RPG revolution on PC.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention a few months/pages ago when talking about the mainline SMT games is that I really appreciate how demon negotiation [and especially the expanded negotiation options in SMT IV] give you more options for skipping, avoiding, or bugging out on combat than simply sneaking past enemies or running away.

Wait a sec, you can fight battles in SMTIV? I thought the game was all about paying off demons in order to join your party!

Seriously, I agree, whole-heartedly.

I don't think adding more stealth and timing puzzles to the dungeons really makes the game more action-y. Or at least not in the sense that Final Fantasy is becoming more action oriented because of changes to their combat systems.

What's shown in th trailers so far just makes the Persona field screen more dynamic and interesting. I'm totally with tuffalo on this, it's really boring in P4 to have to wait for enemies to turn around so you can get initiative. I'd be very happy with the system Clocky describes for #FE. Sounds very Mario & Luigi to me.

I'm having trouble thinking of a JRPG series other than Final Fantasy that's transitioned from turn-based combat to a real-time, action-oriented model. (Or even just more action-oriented overworld exploration.) Arguably the various Xeno games, but that's already a weird case considering that it's technically three unrelated series under three different publishers.

Front Mission is the only one I can think of but the real-time/action games didn't really go over all that well.

Wasn't there also a Wild Arms that went real time or was it a tactical game entry in the franchise?

There are more JRPGs than Final Fantasy?

I guess I should mention I'm talking about console RPGs. Handhelds are mostly stuck turn based due to technology. MMOs have been getting more action oriented. The Witcher series did so. Dragon Age series. Mass Effect series. Valkyria Chronicles and Project STEAM are real time and tb hybrids. Resonance of Fate also, sorta.

Obviously FF is the big one because it's practically an action game in FFXV while Persona is adding in more kinetic movement.

It's clearly something that's been going on for a while, though many of them are masking underlying turn based systems.

I don't think handhelds are stuck due to technology. Kingdom Hearts and Monster Hunter have done fairly well on multiple handhelds.

Edit: Parasite Eve is a good example of real time masking turn based. Technically Final Fantasy's ATB is turn based but the game doesn't wait if you take too long to make an input.

Just resurrecting this thread for potential upcoming info. Atlus is going to be doing some kind of crazy 48-hour stream at the end of the week.

Japanese P5 site just updated this morning with a TGS placeholder page: http://persona5.jp/tgs2015/qr/