Fellow Atheists/Agnostic Atheists - Let's Chat: Do you feel it is risky being "out" these days?

Pan Con Air? Really?

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Pan Con Air? Really?

Holy crap, that's actually on the plane.

Higgledy wrote:

Giving a little push back will at least help to keep you sane and you may get through eventually.

I suspect that retorting to the next time she throws some "Answers in Genesis" diatribe onto Facebook that linking this in retort would be more than a little pushback, eh?

I'm sorely tempted, though... If I have to see Ken Ham's jackassery being spouted by them one more time like a David Koresh throwback, it might just be one time too many. Why can't they just post pictures of their kids and leave it at that, for crying out loud?

edosan wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

Can't change your mind on... what? No one is trying to stop Christians from being Christians, we're just trying to stop them from making US be Christian because we've outlawed everything you don't agree with on a religious basis.

Just... buh. Persecution complex doesn't even begin to describe it anymore. A local church that's on my way to all good food keeps putting out these "Protect Religious Freedom!" signs... and... when was that ever under fire? No one is stopping you from putting out your anti-abortion (and weirdly, pro-Iraq war signage during the Bush years?) crosses every other month.

American Evangelicals can't even begin to understand what religious persecution means. They confuse it with "living in a society with people that have different viewpoints."

Quoting in full for a new page. Demo nailed it, edosan distilled it into a punchy epithet.

Only the crazy Christians would would misconstrue an actual protection of religious freedoms—like wearing a niqab, or building a mosque anywhere in NYC—as an attack on Christians' religious freedoms.

Which just exposes them and their cry for "religious freedom" for what it is: intolerance, racism, and hate.

Religious freedom, according to Evangelical Christians, is about being free from other religions and atheists.

Farscry wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

Giving a little push back will at least help to keep you sane and you may get through eventually.

I suspect that retorting to the next time she throws some "Answers in Genesis" diatribe onto Facebook that linking this in retort would be more than a little pushback, eh?

I'm sorely tempted, though... If I have to see Ken Ham's jackassery being spouted by them one more time like a David Koresh throwback, it might just be one time too many. Why can't they just post pictures of their kids and leave it at that, for crying out loud?

You could always take to posting pictures of random animals on Facebook along with comments about their poor design.

One of my favourites:

IMAGE(http://www.eclectech.co.uk/b3ta/2011-04-22-giraffe1.jpg)

Recurrent laryngeal nerve

(He gets into speculating about nerves in dinosaurs which, of course, we have no evidence for.)

Farscry wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

Giving a little push back will at least help to keep you sane and you may get through eventually.

I suspect that retorting to the next time she throws some "Answers in Genesis" diatribe onto Facebook that linking this in retort would be more than a little pushback, eh?

I'm sorely tempted, though... If I have to see Ken Ham's jackassery being spouted by them one more time like a David Koresh throwback, it might just be one time too many. Why can't they just post pictures of their kids and leave it at that, for crying out loud?

That's why I deleted my Facebook account. Learned that far too many people I've come across in my life are mouthbreathers. Regurgitating FOX news slants, turning bigotry into an artform, trying to pass off pseudoscience as fact, and all doing it while quoting bible passages and praying while under the guise of a self-righteousness and hypocrisy that only a certain theist could manage. Guys and gals who barely eeked by in high school, never went to college, who suddenly in their mid-thirties have their thumb on the pulse of politics and science because they watch FOX news for an hour a day.

Another article about the Greece, NY vs. Susan Galloway case, which is up for argument before the Supreme Court this coming Wednesday.

Skipping 97 pages, and responding to the original post. I'm agnostic metaphysically, and I think it's well known amongst my family and friends. It doesn't feel risky, but it does feel like it confuses people a bit. There seems to be an idea that the belief thing is binary thing, and my "religious" statements seems to lead to furrowed brows.

If I feel any pressure its from militant atheists who have on occasion called me a coward for not zealously denouncing the possibility of a deity or deity like entity. I'm mostly a novel curiosity to the religious. Well minus the full on sandwich board wearing wackos.

The Filthiest of Skimmers

McIrishJihad wrote:

The Filthiest of Skimmers :D

Nah, he's a clean skimmer. It is my belief that all skimmer filth, regardless of the number of pages skipped, is immediately cleansed when a person honestly confesses to the amount of skimming done.

Contrition is a plus, but not required ;).

Yonder wrote:
McIrishJihad wrote:

The Filthiest of Skimmers :D

Nah, he's a clean skimmer. It is my belief that all skimmer filth, regardless of the number of pages skipped, is immediately cleansed when a person honestly confesses to the amount of skimming done.

Contrition is a plus, but not required ;).

Maybe we should pick a figurehead who will atone for those of us who won't or can't admit to skimming.

You know, someone who will die for our skims.

ruhk wrote:

You know, someone who will die for our skims.

Can't. Breathe. Laughing. Too. Hard.

ruhk wrote:

Maybe we should pick a figurehead who will atone for those of us who won't or can't admit to skimming.

You know, someone who will die for our skims.

I will call him Jeewhiz Guys.

I think I ruptured my spleen from laughing so hard. Something hurts in there, for sure.

You know, someone who will die for our skims.

Ouch!

LouZiffer wrote:

Holy moley, is He.

Does it have to be a 'he?' Is gender an issue?

Worthy is the,
Goodjer who was slain
Holy moley, is He.
Post a new post, to Him who sits on
Certis's Mercy Seat

Holy roly poly
Where is that guy almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come?
With all the forums I sing
Praise to the King of Skims
Who posts about everything
And space is an issue.

Clothed in of living color
Flashes of :pirate:, rolls of
and :nicekiss:, and
and be
To You the Only Goodjer King

Holy roly poly
Where is that guy almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come?
With all the forums I sing
Praise to the King of Skims
Who posts about everything
And space is an issue.

(With credit and apologies to Jennie Lee Riddle)

Rezzy wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:

Holy moley, is He.

Does it have to be a 'he?' Is gender an issue?

Was a typo. Should be "holy moly, I She. "

LouZiffer wrote:

(With credit and apologies to Jennie Lee Riddle)

Not the Jenni Lee I was hoping for.

Seth wrote:
Rezzy wrote:
LouZiffer wrote:

Holy moley, is He.

Does it have to be a 'he?' Is gender an issue?

Was a typo. Should be "holy moly, ou. "

I'm sorry, I can't subscrive to a doctrine of Original Skim. I don't think we are all born skimmers.

Robear wrote:

I'm sorry, I can't subscrive to a doctrine of Original Skim. I don't think we are all born skimmers.

BEHOLD, SKIM BECOME FLESH.

IMAGE(http://www.shanedietresorts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/skim-milk11.jpg)

I feel like I'm being a bit of a jerk here, but isn't this a bit of a disrespectful derail, especially given how ugly the Theism thread turned out? Yes, I know, this thread is for nontheists (me included!). But isn't the purpose to discuss the challenges we face in our cultures and how to deal with those challenges, rather than to mock theistic beliefs?

It makes me uncomfortable to pipe up about this, but I feel like I have to, otherwise I'm giving silent assent.

[edit]And no need to pile on if you guys disagree; I just felt that I had to speak up, and I won't belabor the point further.

Robear wrote:

I'm sorry, I can't subscrive to a doctrine of Original Skim. I don't think we are all born skimmers.

We're all born skimmers, but redeemed by Jesus Gist, who died for our skims.

P&C Fall cleaning! This thread is no longer about the original post.