Fellow Atheists/Agnostic Atheists - Let's Chat: Do you feel it is risky being "out" these days?

It's not that I want "history" channel to die but I want it not to exist anymore.

krev82 wrote:

It's not that I want "history" channel to die but I want it not to exist anymore.

Just imagine the History channel being the mouse.

krev82 wrote:

It's not that I want "history" channel to die but I want it not to exist anymore.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/KJ9aL.jpg)

I don't know why, but your signature seems especially appropriate here.

LOLCatholics. Are they officially a self-parody yet?

The inimitable Tim Minchin. It's about 11 minutes long, but if you just want the song without the context skip to 5.20.

Edit: some swearing, so perhaps NSFW.

I don't know if it's only the people that I've had to interact with but it seems like Christians are, all of a sudden, incapable of understanding that some people don't give a sh*t about Easter.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

I don't know if it's only the people that I've had to interact with but it seems like Christians are, all of a sudden, incapable of understanding that some people don't give a sh*t about Easter.

It's like miniature Christmas.

One of my friends posted this on facebook today:

"So you would think that since its Easter Google would do some cute Easter display on their search page..... Nope, they put a picture of Cesar Chavez"

2 of the replies were:

"So messed up!"

"Maybe it's an April Fool's joke."

clover wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:

I don't know if it's only the people that I've had to interact with but it seems like Christians are, all of a sudden, incapable of understanding that some people don't give a sh*t about Easter.

It's like miniature Christmas.

Yeah, I got a call tonight from the lady that ran a recent home show because her system said my billing address didn't match the card I used. She must have apologized half a dozen times for calling me on Easter, even after I said I wasn't celebrating it and it was fine. Chit chat during the call was her telling me all about the eggs she hid for her neighborhood kids and her asking me what I did, to which I said "nothing". At the end of the call she wished me a happy easter.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

I don't know if it's only the people that I've had to interact with but it seems like Christians are, all of a sudden, incapable of understanding that some people don't give a sh*t about Easter.

When I get pestered about it, I like to remind them of Easter's connection to Passover, also known as that time Yahweh murdered a whole bunch of kids for like no reason. People usually stop talking to me at that point. It's awesome.

KrazyTacoFO wrote:

One of my friends posted this on facebook today:

"So you would think that since its Easter Google would do some cute Easter display on their search page..... Nope, they put a picture of Cesar Chavez"

2 of the replies were:

"So messed up!"

"Maybe it's an April Fool's joke."

Ask them where they've been the last three years since the last easter doodle was four years ago.

Edwin wrote:
KrazyTacoFO wrote:

One of my friends posted this on facebook today:

"So you would think that since its Easter Google would do some cute Easter display on their search page..... Nope, they put a picture of Cesar Chavez"

2 of the replies were:

"So messed up!"

"Maybe it's an April Fool's joke."

Ask them where they've been the last three years since the last easter doodle was four years ago.

Well yeah, but Glenn Beck didn't tell them to get mad about it until today.

Yellek wrote:
clover wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:

I don't know if it's only the people that I've had to interact with but it seems like Christians are, all of a sudden, incapable of understanding that some people don't give a sh*t about Easter.

It's like miniature Christmas.

Yeah, I got a call tonight from the lady that ran a recent home show because her system said my billing address didn't match the card I used. She must have apologized half a dozen times for calling me on Easter, even after I said I wasn't celebrating it and it was fine. Chit chat during the call was her telling me all about the eggs she hid for her neighborhood kids and her asking me what I did, to which I said "nothing". At the end of the call she wished me a happy easter.

That made me laugh.

The Easter kerfluffle makes NO sense. Wouldn't Jesus really like a guy who spent his life working with the poor and those marginalized by society to improve their standing?

Prederick wrote:

The Easter kerfluffle makes NO sense. Wouldn't Jesus really like a guy who spent his life working with the poor and those marginalized by society to improve their standing?

Jesus hates Communists.

I got to eat a bunny shaped cookie, with frosting whiskers. So it was not all bad.

My Wife and I, and our roomie decided to celebrate the true reason and wish people a Happy Ishtar day.

Also, sitting on the Easter Bunny's lap to ask for Easter Presents, 'Murica!

Yeah, at the mall near my office there is an Easter Bunny guy sitting in a chair amid amid what looks like a Mad Hatter tea party setup. $15 per picture. Never saw that before.

Honestly, if I needed any clearer proof of how much more secular America is getting, than religion as marketing. Christmas is about an ad from the 20's bestowing presents. Easter is about inducing type 2 diabetes. Halloween is about slasher movies. St. Patrick's day is about puking and falling down, love that one. Valentine's day is about making sure I remember there is a Valentine's day, or else trouble.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

I don't know if it's only the people that I've had to interact with but it seems like Christians are, all of a sudden, incapable of understanding that some people don't give a sh*t about Easter.

It's a fertility festival to herald the coming of spring and to celebrate the fact that the old gods decided winter wasn't going to last forever.

Also, candy.

Jesus died so we could have Reese's Eggs.

A friend had this film on their Facebook page (only with sappier music.) Towards the end one peice of text reads 'God doesn't make mistakes.' To me there is an vast disconnect between what's happen and any idea that God is involved in the encounter in any way. The really astonishing thing in the film is the empathy being shown by the dog. It demonstrates how intelligent and sensitive animals can be.

What was that flood for then? Also the Tower of Babel?

Or is it like the giving of sight to the blind man? That is a great message, make some poor jerk blind at birth, living as a beggar so that one day Jesus can come along, hork one into the muck, spread it over your face, and show off to his friends.

No, it is all intentional. That is even more f*cked up, genetic disorders are all part of his plan. MS, just part of the plan. Genetic screening, gene therapy, stem cell research is just the devil.

KingGorilla wrote:

What was that flood for then? Also the Tower of Babel?

Or is it like the giving of sight to the blind man? That is a great message, make some poor jerk blind at birth, living as a beggar so that one day Jesus can come along, hork one into the muck, spread it over your face, and show off to his friends.

No, it is all intentional. That is even more f*cked up, genetic disorders are all part of his plan. MS, just part of the plan. Genetic screening, gene therapy, stem cell research is just the devil.

The 'God doesn't make mistakes' comment shows how detached from reality people can be. It's ironic considering the little lad appears to have Down's syndrome.

The bible is pretty clear, people with disabilities and terminal diseases are god's puppets to give lessons and warnings to the rest of humanity. I just, eww. A parent using their son like that, eww. Just evil sh*t right there.

KingGorilla wrote:

The bible is pretty clear, people with disabilities and terminal diseases are god's puppets to give lessons and warnings to the rest of humanity. I just, eww. A parent using their son like that, eww. Just evil sh*t right there.

Whats worse is the kid clearly doesn't want anything to do with the dog. He is trying his best push it away or to get away from it for the entire video. The kid actually attacks the dog out of frustration (as best he can) at the 1:50 mark. That wasn't a hug. The dog just wants some attention and to be petted. It's clearly a super nice dog, but if it was actually showing empathy, it would have either laid there calmly or just left the kid alone.

Nuean wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:

The bible is pretty clear, people with disabilities and terminal diseases are god's puppets to give lessons and warnings to the rest of humanity. I just, eww. A parent using their son like that, eww. Just evil sh*t right there.

Whats worse is the kid clearly doesn't want anything to do with the dog. He is trying his best push it away or to get away from it for the entire video. The kid actually attacks the dog out of frustration (as best he can) at the 1:50 mark. That wasn't a hug. The dog just wants some attention and to be petted. It's clearly a super nice dog, but if it was actually showing empathy, it would have either laid there calmly or just left the kid alone.

To me the kid doesn't want to know at first but is playing with the dog at the end. All the time the dog is encouraging the kid to play and, when just moving forwards doesn't help, it presents itself in a none threatening manner.

Higgledy wrote:
Nuean wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:

The bible is pretty clear, people with disabilities and terminal diseases are god's puppets to give lessons and warnings to the rest of humanity. I just, eww. A parent using their son like that, eww. Just evil sh*t right there.

Whats worse is the kid clearly doesn't want anything to do with the dog. He is trying his best push it away or to get away from it for the entire video. The kid actually attacks the dog out of frustration (as best he can) at the 1:50 mark. That wasn't a hug. The dog just wants some attention and to be petted. It's clearly a super nice dog, but if it was actually showing empathy, it would have either laid there calmly or just left the kid alone.

To me the kid doesn't want to know at first but is playing with the dog at the end. All the time the dog is encouraging the kid to play and, when just moving forwards doesn't help, it presents itself in a none threatening manner.

The dog is just the sweetest dog ever, no doubt. But man, that kid is not playing with the dog at the end. He is backed up against the wall, can't scoot any further away, and resorts to turning his back to the dog to attempt to make the whole situation go away.

IMAGE(http://media.tumblr.com/e8d0f88c1f38f852a0819c6b5e25c203/tumblr_inline_mkjms93H5V1qawfnh.png)