Fellow Atheists/Agnostic Atheists - Let's Chat: Do you feel it is risky being "out" these days?

And yet again, Robear teaches me something awesome that I'll never be able to say to my customers.

Pat Robertson comes out against young earth creationism.

Granted, he's still a creationist, but I doubt anyone expected him to say something like this.

Pat Robertson wrote:

Look, I know that people will probably try to lynch me when I say this, but Bishop [James] Ussher wasn't inspired by the Lord when he said that it all took 6,000 years. It just didn't. You go back in time, you've got radiocarbon dating. You got all these things and you've got the carcasses of dinosaurs frozen in time out in the Dakotas.

They're out there. So, there was a time when these giant reptiles were on the Earth and it was before the time of the Bible. So, don't try and cover it up and make like everything was 6,000 years. That's not the Bible.

Wow, color me impressed.

ruhk wrote:

Pat Robertson comes out against young earth creationism.

Granted, he's still a creationist, but I doubt anyone expected him to say something like this.

Pat Robertson wrote:

Look, I know that people will probably try to lynch me when I say this, but Bishop [James] Ussher wasn't inspired by the Lord when he said that it all took 6,000 years. It just didn't. You go back in time, you've got radiocarbon dating. You got all these things and you've got the carcasses of dinosaurs frozen in time out in the Dakotas.

They're out there. So, there was a time when these giant reptiles were on the Earth and it was before the time of the Bible. So, don't try and cover it up and make like everything was 6,000 years. That's not the Bible.

Even this guy believes in science on some level? Wow.

Guess that makes the young earth creationists look even loonier...

Wow, yeah. When Pat is saying your beliefs on the bible are too extreme and crazy... here's your sign?

So hard to keep up with all the crazy religious televangelists... but isn't this the guy who said he talked to Jesus or God about 9/11 and said it was because of the gays and feminists and liberals?

What do you do when that guy says you are crazy?

My guess is bury your head in the same and ignore the cognitive dissonance when you need the evangelical vote in the next election.

Other things Pat Robertson has said:

-- Feminism is a "socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."
-- 9/11 was caused by "pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays, lesbians, the American Civil Liberties Union and the People For the American Way."
-- The 2010 Haiti earthquake was caused by a pack with the devil the Haitian people made in the 18th century.
-- College professors are "racists, murderers, sexual deviants and supporters of Al-Qaeda."
-- Non-Christians are "termites" who "...are into destroying institutions that have been built by Christians, whether it is universities, governments, our own traditions" and that now is the time for "a godly fumigation."
-- God really likes to punish people with natural disasters

TL;DR: No one should listen to a word Pat Robertson says. Ever.

Yeah, this isn't even a case of a stopped clock being right twice a day.

This clock is still running, and it's still wrong.

I guess this is notable because he doesn't think the wrong thing that we all expected him to think?

NSMike wrote:

I guess this is notable because he doesn't think the wrong thing that we all expected him to think?

Basically.

Most Jesuit priests are educated out the ass with PHDs in science, mathematics, linguistics, etc. I think the philosophy of the guiding hand of god in the theorems and laws of nature is a perfectly valid outlook. So maybe listen to them instead of Pat Robertson. Some of the finest Astronomy in the world comes out of the Vatican.

OG_slinger wrote:

TL;DR: No one should listen to a word Pat Robertson says. Ever.

Bazinga. The guy who hits one home run and strikes out the other 999 times is not a player you want to have on your team.

Jonman wrote:
OG_slinger wrote:

TL;DR: No one should listen to a word Pat Robertson says. Ever.

Bazinga. The guy who hits one home run and strikes out the other 999 times is not a player you want to have on your team.

And acknowledging evolution shouldn't be considered an intellectual home run. It is more like a requirement to get up to bat.

From the same article:

"Atheists don't like our happiness, they don't want you to be happy, they want you to be miserable," Robertson said at the time. "They're miserable so they want you to be miserable."

Hahaha, projection much?

If atheists are miserable it's because of people treating them as less than human.

Interesting. Most atheists I know are pretty happy people. More to the point they are pretty self motivated people who believe that their circumstances are, in large part, within their control to improve and that the religious fatalism of their upbringing was, in large part, the proximal cause of much of their past unhappiness.

To the extent that atheists care what you believe, it is because they want you to abandon a vestigial belief system that requires energy, encourages bad decision making, and ultimately results in the failure to achieve true and meaningful happiness.

Paleocon wrote:

Interesting. Most atheists I know are pretty happy people. More to the point they are pretty self motivated people who believe that their circumstances are, in large part, within their control to improve and that the religious fatalism of their upbringing was, in large part, the proximal cause of much of their past unhappiness.

To the extent that atheists care what you believe, it is because they want you to abandon a vestigial belief system that requires energy, encourages bad decision making, and ultimately results in the failure to achieve true and meaningful happiness.

sh*t, I was supposed to have had a religious upbringing? Gotta get on my 2nd gen atheist dad about that lack

Tanglebones wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Interesting. Most atheists I know are pretty happy people. More to the point they are pretty self motivated people who believe that their circumstances are, in large part, within their control to improve and that the religious fatalism of their upbringing was, in large part, the proximal cause of much of their past unhappiness.

To the extent that atheists care what you believe, it is because they want you to abandon a vestigial belief system that requires energy, encourages bad decision making, and ultimately results in the failure to achieve true and meaningful happiness.

sh*t, I was supposed to have had a religious upbringing? Gotta get on my 2nd gen atheist dad about that lack

No wonder why you have such a hard time understanding magical thinking. You missed out on an important part of the American frame of reference.

KingGorilla wrote:

Most Jesuit priests are educated out the ass with PHDs in science, mathematics, linguistics, etc. I think the philosophy of the guiding hand of god in the theorems and laws of nature is a perfectly valid outlook. So maybe listen to them instead of Pat Robertson. Some of the finest Astronomy in the world comes out of the Vatican.

Yar, and they are legitimate scientists who actually understand that scientific inquiry as it exists today almost entirely came out of a time after the Bible so that the two do not have any real correlation. Great interview with a vatican astronomer in Religulous.

Jonman wrote:
OG_slinger wrote:

TL;DR: No one should listen to a word Pat Robertson says. Ever.

Bazinga. The guy who hits one home run and strikes out the other 999 times is not a player you want to have on your team.

So Alex Rodriguez is baseball's Pat Robertson? Sounds about right.

Anecdotally, aren't Jesuits more likely to leave the faith than priests of other orders? I've known a few (three?) who did.

Robear wrote:

Anecdotally, aren't Jesuits more likely to leave the faith than priests of other orders? I've known a few (three?) who did.

You can't be that educated and still believe in fairy tales...

OG_slinger wrote:

No one should listen to a word Pat Robertson says. Ever.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone should. I just thought it was interesting that the poster boy for nutso evangelical extremism thinks that young earth creationism is a bit TOO nutso. It's been really entertaining watching young earthers like Ken Ham flip out over Robertson's dismissal.

Demyx wrote:

From the same article:

"Atheists don't like our happiness, they don't want you to be happy, they want you to be miserable," Robertson said at the time. "They're miserable so they want you to be miserable."

Hahaha, projection much?

If atheists are miserable it's because of people treating them as less than human.

Many right-evangelicals have a severely warped perception of what atheism is. To people like Robertson, the existence of god is so obvious that they assume it's obvious to everyone, and so an atheist isn't someone who doesn't believe in god but rather someone who knows god exists but refuses to worship him out of resentment, anger, or selfishness. From that point of view it's only natural for him to assume that we atheists are miserable, hateful people who want all of god's children to be miserable as well. I doubt Robertson has ever given himself a chance to know an atheist on any meaningful level that would prove otherwise.

ruhk wrote:

I doubt Robertson has ever given himself a chance to know an atheist on any meaningful level that would prove otherwise.

I think you hit something there. He is rich enough that he doesn't have to deal with people that he does not want to talk with/to. He can afford to keep himself sequestered away from reality if he so chooses.

OG_slinger wrote:
Robear wrote:

Anecdotally, aren't Jesuits more likely to leave the faith than priests of other orders? I've known a few (three?) who did.

You can't be that educated and still believe in fairy tales...

There are many highly intelligent, highly educated people who do.

gore wrote:
OG_slinger wrote:
Robear wrote:

Anecdotally, aren't Jesuits more likely to leave the faith than priests of other orders? I've known a few (three?) who did.

You can't be that educated and still believe in fairy tales...

There are many highly intelligent, highly educated people who do.

Yeah, it's called compartmentalization.

Well their god is not constrained by the words of cave people from 5,000 years ago.

KingGorilla wrote:

Well their god is not constrained by the words of cave people from 5,000 years ago.

True, but it often becomes something so nebulous as to have almost no definition at all. And at that point, what's the use? If it's this invisible "thing" that guides "stuff" but can't actually be detected by any means known to man, what basis is there to even consider it's existence? It seems to be the god for people who won't or can't let go of the idea, the comfort and familiarity of such a belief.

Letting go is hard.

IMAGE(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/76490_457403510963429_1354684003_n.jpg)

My wife got us a Chanukah Bush to decorate from Michaels.

KingGorilla wrote:

My wife got us a Chanukah Bush to decorate from Michaels.

Chanukah Bush... that's Florida's governor right?

Neither one of us belongs to a church. I am an atheist, she is just apathetic and thoughts of divinity bore her. But my mom's side is Jewish from Finland. Many modern day Jews in the US have gotten into the habit of getting a tree because often other people have them in their homes for decoration, and it looks normal. Keeps kids friends from asking "Where is your tree?"

It is normally decorated in blue, silver, and white lights. No angels, Santas, Stars are on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanukka...

I saw menora-shaped Christmas tree ornaments at Macy's last Saturday.