NFL 2013: Week 10

Pages

I'm baaaaaaaaaack.

*Legion* is unavailable again this week, so your friendly substitute/stat-keeper returns. And yay, no Jaguars picks this week. :p

Quick hits from last week:

In injury news, Aaron Rogers expected to miss 4(?) weeks or more with a broken collarbone.

And of course, drama in Miami continues.

Follow-up from last week's pick'ems:
Chargers @ Redskins: 24-30 Overtime! Redskins squeaked this one out with a huge effort from FB Darrel Young. 2 carries on the season prior to the game... 3 TDs in the game. Better pick him up on your fantasy team this week.

Eagles @ Raiders: 49-20 Nick Foles, 7 TDs, perfect QB rating. Maybe this offense will work in the NFL? Maybe the Raiders still suck?

Colts @ Texans: 27-24 Now Houston's kicker is the new scapegoat instead of their QB. Maybe they'll fire all the people that keep losing games and then they'll start winning? Meanwhile another 4th quarter comeback for Luck.

Ravens @ Browns: 18-24 Cleveland wins, again! So much for tanking for Teddy after the Richardson trade.

Buccaneers @ Seahawks: 24-27 Yes the Bucs really were up 21-0 in Seattle. In a familiar repeat of several other games this year, they gave it away at the end though. Thanks for nothing from 49er-nation. :p

Last Week's Results:
GWJ Forum Name : Week 9 Win - Week 9 Loss
Leroyog : 5 - 0
oldmanscene24 : 5 - 0
Jayhawker : 4 - 1
billt721 : 4 - 1
Kosars : 4 - 1
ZellbrigeN26 : 4 - 1
Zaque : 4 - 1
Bzzz : 4 - 1
Grumpicus : 4 - 1
Stele : 3 - 2
Infyrnos : 3 - 2
MilkmanDanimal : 3 - 2
garion333 : 3 - 2
Blackanchor : 3 - 2
Elliottx : 3 - 2
Xeknos : 3 - 2
tboon : 3 - 2
S0LIDARITY : 3 - 2
Secret Asian Man : 3 - 2
psu_13 : 3 - 2
Thin_J : 3 - 2
TempestBlayze : 3 - 2
AnimeJ : 3 - 2
iaintgotnopants : 3 - 2
LeapingGnome : 3 - 2
Oddsmakers : 3 - 2
Top_Shelf : 2 - 3
karmajay : 2 - 3
Mudbunny : 2 - 3
onewild : 2 - 3
Nomad : 2 - 3
McFinn : 2 - 3
Jasonofindy : 2 - 3
Kush15 : 2 - 3
Jolly Bill : 2 - 3
thejustinbot : 2 - 3
Thegameguru : 2 - 3

Season Standings:
GWJ Forum Name : Season Win - Season Loss
Oddsmakers : 32 - 13
tboon : 31 - 14
Zaque : 31 - 14
billt721 : 30 - 15
psu_13 : 30 - 15
Elliottx : 29 - 16
Kosars : 29 - 11
Leroyog : 29 - 16
Mudbunny : 29 - 16
oldmanscene24 : 29 - 16
Stele : 29 - 16
TheGameGuru : 29 - 16
Zellbrigen26 : 29 - 16
Jayhawker : 28 - 17
S0LIDARITY : 28 - 17
Cobble : 27 - 8
Jasonofindy : 27 - 18
McFinn : 27 - 18
thejustinbot : 27 - 18
Xeknos : 26 - 19
Bzzz : 26 - 19
garion333 : 26 - 19
iaintgotnopants : 26 - 19
Infyrnos : 26 - 19
Kush15 : 26 - 19
Thin_J : 26 - 19
Grumpicus : 25 - 20
LeapingGnome : 25 - 20
MilkmanDanimal : 24 - 16
onewild : 24 - 21
Jolly Bill : 23 - 12
TempestBlayze : 23 - 22
karmajay : 22 - 18
Laarrs : 22 - 13
Blackanchor : 21 - 19
Secret Asian Man : 21 - 19
Top_Shelf : 21 - 19
kaostheory : 20 - 15
jowner : 19 - 11
AnimeJ : 16 - 14
MudderFudder77 : 16 - 9
FSeven : 12 - 13
TrashiDawa : 12 - 8
paleocon : 11 - 9
Atras : 10 - 15
Gumbie : 8 - 7
lostlobster : 7 - 8
Nomad : 7 - 8
Fedaykin98 : 3 - 2
Certis : 2 - 3

Week 10 Pick'em:

Eagles @ Packers: Backup QB vs Backup QB. One by choice, one by default. It was sure interesting on Mon night this past week with the Bears.

Bengals @ Ravens: Who dey?! No really, who are they? Begals are 6-3, expected to win the division still with a 2-game lead. But they have been up and down. After winning a tough road game @Detroit, and blasting the Jets, they fell to Miami in OT on Thurs night's Halloween game. Will they right the ship in Baltimore?

Bills @ Steelers: I know, 3-6 vs 2-6. But hey, it should be a good game, even if it doesn't mean much at this point. The Steelers got embarrassed by the Patriots last week. Will they show some pride this week?

Cowboys @ Saints: Cowboys coming off a relieved win vs the Vikings. Saints coming off a disappointing loss to the Jets. Both teams holding a slim 1-game lead in their divisions and really need this game as we start to look at the playoffs after the halfway point of the season. SNF special.

Dolphins @ Buccaneers: Yeah the battle for Florida! Well, really Tampa and Jacksonville should play and the loser leave the state or something. But anyway... can Tampa Bay win a game? Miami a narrow favorite on the road. At least this Bucs game can't be blacked out for me since it's MNF.

Make your picks here!

See what happens when you put a Texans game in there, I go from 3-2 to 2-3 because I can't pick against them after I picked them out of a hat to randomly assign myself a team a few years ago. Dam the hat of destiny, there were some good teams in there.

Ugh. Steelers. $POINTER_TO_LAMENT_IN_EARLIER_THREAD. I was so hopeful when ESPN on iOS buzzed me with their scoring, tieing the Pats. And...and then 31 unanswered points happened.

Ugh. Steelers.

I really wanted to put tomorrow's Wash-Minn. game in the picks. But no Thurs games is the rule. Spread is close, should be fun.

I don't appear to be in the season standings.

Xeknos wrote:

I don't appear to be in the season standings.

Fixed.

Sorry, I was doing a thing this week trying to clear duplicates of the people who keep using a capital/lowercase or varying spaces in their names. :p

Must have lost you in the process, but the totals for the season were still there.

So, by the time this whole season is out and the Martin debacle on the Dolphins is cleared up, given that one of the coaches told Incognito to "Toughen [Martin] up", how much of the Dolphins will Martin own?

?I missed the week before but i definitely entered picks for last week

Eagles at Packers: My rough pseudocode for this game; if NickFolesQB playagainstteam ={piratethemedteam}, then PEYTON, if NickFolesQB playagainstteam <> {piratethemedteam}, then SPERGEONWYNN.

Bengals at Ravens: Bounce-back game for Dalton, and Flacco's due for another 17-pick game, right?

Bills at Steelers: Shot of energy from Manuel's return and/or lack of Tuel Time. Plus, the Steelers just suck.

Cowboys at Saints: Stupid Saints.

Dolphins at Buccaneers: Tampa is a train wreck. A dumpster fire. A giant, football-shaped anal embolism of suck. That being said, they have a defense, and, last I checked, the left side of Miami's offensive line is sort of inconvenienced these days. This is the sort of crisis that destroys teams, and it's time for Tampa to step up and completely screw themselves out of the Bridgewater sweepstakes, throwing away the only possible good thing from this festering sh*tstorm of a season. Gerald McCoy lived in the backfield last week; he was getting off the snap faster than Seattle's offensive linemen. He's ridiculous. Lavonte David is everywhere, Revis is genuinely still scary and getting better each week, and Mark Barron has really come around at safety. Add to that Mike Glennon--I cannot believe I am typing this--looked like a real QB on Sunday during the first half. I mean, genuine, down-the-field, actual pocket presence, stand up and make throws kind of guy. Shockingly good. Miami is falling apart, and Tampa is going to win this by default.

I don't care, Greg Schiano should still be set on fire.

Cobble wrote:

?I missed the week before but i definitely entered picks for last week :(

Summary of responses

Don't see cobble in the list of users.

i cant believe I just picked the Bucs to win....I feel dirty

onewild wrote:

See what happens when you put a Texans game in there, I go from 3-2 to 2-3 because I can't pick against them after I picked them out of a hat to randomly assign myself a team a few years ago. Dam the hat of destiny, there were some good teams in there.

Well, the last couple years have been great for Texans fans, but yeah, this year is a son of a bi*ch.

What?! No Panthers-Niners pick?

I'm picking the PANTHERS although (1) the Panthers have more trouble than most with big physical tight ends like Vernon Davis and (2) the Niners tend to come out and score quickly, and I don't think Carolina can come back from being down 10+ points.

Watch out if Carolina takes an early leads and holds on to it through halftime. That sets up everything else they do (running offense, aggressive D-line and DB play) and might neutralize Kaep.

The rest of this week's slate is just filler.

No Jags pick this week, we get Tampa instead.............

Okay, the matchup is interesting in the sense both organizations are having some crazy issues.

Stele wrote:
Cobble wrote:

?I missed the week before but i definitely entered picks for last week :(

Summary of responses

Don't see cobble in the list of users. :?

Its fine, I know I definitely submitted it. I even saved the link after I did it. No biggie

A good read if you like Xs and Os: Why RG3 is struggling

TL,DR: He's not yet able to read defenses as well and as quickly as he should.

Enix wrote:

What?! No Panthers-Niners pick?

I'm picking the PANTHERS although (1) the Panthers have more trouble than most with big physical tight ends like Vernon Davis and (2) the Niners tend to come out and score quickly, and I don't think Carolina can come back from being down 10+ points.

Watch out if Carolina takes an early leads and holds on to it through halftime. That sets up everything else they do (running offense, aggressive D-line and DB play) and might neutralize Kaep.

The rest of this week's slate is just filler.

I considered it. Spread is SF by 6 or 7 though. And when there's a 49ers game I'm always picking them. Not fun for me to put them in the mix.

garion333 wrote:

No Jags pick this week, we get Tampa instead.............

Okay, the matchup is interesting in the sense both organizations are having some crazy issues.

And yeah, it's a wild week in Miami. And the spread yesterday was only Dolphins by 3.

I know Bills-Steelers isn't high on most people's lists, but it's a close game (spread ~3) and that's enough to make it a tough pick.

Enix wrote:

A good read if you like Xs and Os: Why RG3 is struggling

TL,DR: He's not yet able to read defenses as well and as quickly as he should.

Wish that article was longer and had more examples. The second example was especially egregious as I read it the instant I looked at it.

Mario Manningham is not listed on the 49ers injury report.

Oh boy.

I found this on reddit, figured it'd be interesting to you folks as well:

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/saory0p.png)

jowner wrote:

I already hated our early bye this year and the team is pretty injured as is. If the Packers go 1-2 and hes back for the Thanks Giving Lions game thats probably all I can hope for.

This is from the Week 9 thread, so I brought it over.

With all the talk about the league trying to make it a "safer game to play", wouldn't the obvious decision is to give each team 2 bye weeks during the year, one in the beginning and one at the end. By doing this, you could also give the Thursday night teams a bye week the week before they play on Thursday night. Instead of those teams having 3 full days to prepare, they get 10 full days. On top of that, you get an extra week of Football. Hell, you could even give teams coming from or going to England a bye week.

How does the NFL not even bring this up as a possibility?

Because the league doesn't actually care about player safety. They care about appearing to care about player safety. Besides, if they're going to get an extra week of games, they'd rather actually add games onto the schedule and make some more money.

I'd read in a couple of places that, when discussing the possibility of an 18 week season there would be two bye weeks. Cannot remember where I read that though.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
onewild wrote:

See what happens when you put a Texans game in there, I go from 3-2 to 2-3 because I can't pick against them after I picked them out of a hat to randomly assign myself a team a few years ago. Dam the hat of destiny, there were some good teams in there.

Well, the last couple years have been great for Texans fans, but yeah, this year is a son of a bi*ch.

I blame the Aggies.

bighoppa wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:
onewild wrote:

See what happens when you put a Texans game in there, I go from 3-2 to 2-3 because I can't pick against them after I picked them out of a hat to randomly assign myself a team a few years ago. Dam the hat of destiny, there were some good teams in there.

Well, the last couple years have been great for Texans fans, but yeah, this year is a son of a bi*ch.

I blame the Aggies.

Fair enough, since no Longhorns have been good enough to make the team.

billt721 wrote:

Besides, if they're going to get an extra week of games, they'd rather actually add games onto the schedule and make some more money.

They would still make more money with just two bye weeks because there would be an extra weekend of TV money. I think two bye weeks is a great idea and would raise the level of play as well.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
bighoppa wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:
onewild wrote:

See what happens when you put a Texans game in there, I go from 3-2 to 2-3 because I can't pick against them after I picked them out of a hat to randomly assign myself a team a few years ago. Dam the hat of destiny, there were some good teams in there.

Well, the last couple years have been great for Texans fans, but yeah, this year is a son of a bi*ch.

I blame the Aggies.

Fair enough, since no Longhorns have been foolish enough to make the team.

FTFY. We did have a guard a couple of years ago, but most of our players go to teams with an actual chance to win a championship. Colt McCoy could get a Super Bowl ring this year.

Well that Vikings game was close last night. Would have been a good pick 'em after all.

Stele wrote:

Well that Vikings game was close last night. Would have been a good pick 'em after all.

A lot of times those games involving two bad teams can be interesting just because they're evenly matched.

Bad break for Ponder. I saw the play where he got hurt, but it didn't look all that bad. That said, shoulders (and collarbones, in Aaron Rodgers' case) aren't really designed to have a large human fall on them like that.

Stele wrote:

Well that Vikings game was close last night. Would have been a good pick 'em after all.

It shouldn't have been close. 27-14 at the half and when I went to bed. Wake up to see 34-27, I guess the Redskins went to sleep the same time I did. I heard they had the ball at the 2 yard line at the end and failed to punch it in.

Pages