2013 Major League Baseball: World Series- Boston Red Sox vs St. Louis Cardinals

B Dog wrote:

That was a very entertaining opening day. Two extra innings games (including one walk-off), a game-winning homer by a pitcher, two homeruns in two at-bats for Harper, a grand slam from the lead-off batter for the Mets, and several top-notch pitching performances.

Baseball's back!

Bah humbug. If the Yankees don't win, who cares?

It was great visiting in laws in NY and watching the Yankees lose!

Coolbeans wrote:

Bah humbug. If the Yankees don't win, who cares? everyone wins!

FTFY.

The Yankees are the dumpster for the Blue Jays. Vernon Wells? Lyle Overbay? Jayson Nix? Have fun with that!

Coolbeans wrote:
B Dog wrote:

That was a very entertaining opening day. Two extra innings games (including one walk-off), a game-winning homer by a pitcher, two homeruns in two at-bats for Harper, a grand slam from the lead-off batter for the Mets, and several top-notch pitching performances.

Baseball's back!

Bah humbug. If the Yankees don't win, who cares?

If this is the case, then there is going to be a lot of care-free baseball fans this year. Could be the first time in a long time the bombers finish under .500.

If the Yankees are losing, I'm far more interested in baseball. Apart from seemingly buying championships (regardless of how accurate that perception was/is) they are possibly the most boring team North American sports.

Vector wrote:

If the Yankees are losing, I'm far more interested in baseball. Apart from seemingly buying championships (regardless of how accurate that perception was/is) they are possibly the most boring team North American sports.

Not very - they won in 2009, prior to that it was 2000 (and that was still mostly their team of home-grown stars).

Edit: That said- yeah, they're super boring to watch. Part of that is probably that they're all so damn old.

Vector wrote:

If the Yankees are losing, I'm far more interested in baseball. Apart from seemingly buying championships (regardless of how accurate that perception was/is) they are possibly the most boring team North American sports.

I am always amazed when someone says this. "Buying championships?" I keep forgetting every other team is made up of volunteers and guys who play just for the love of the game.

Oh wait, that isn't how it is. Every other team has players that are paid millions as well. So are they trying to "buy" a championship?? You bet your butt they are! The problem today is revenue sharing. Small market teams get an amount of money each season paid by larger market teams. It is supposed to be used on payroll to attract better talent and have more parody in the game. Sadly, that isn't what happens. There is no rule that says the money must be used for that purpose and usually it isn't. Instead it is used to line the owners pockets.

The Yankees have been willing to go after bigger talent and been willing to pay for it. They don't "buy" titles any more than any other professional sports team. That is simply an amazingly narrow view of the league. When every other team has players that play for free and the Yankees pay theirs, then that can be said it it really mean something.

Coolbeans wrote:
Vector wrote:

If the Yankees are losing, I'm far more interested in baseball. Apart from seemingly buying championships (regardless of how accurate that perception was/is) they are possibly the most boring team North American sports.

I am always amazed when someone says this. "Buying championships?" I keep forgetting every other team is made up of volunteers and guys who play just for the love of the game.

Oh wait, that isn't how it is. Every other team has players that are paid millions as well. So are they trying to "buy" a championship?? You bet your butt they are! The problem today is revenue sharing. Small market teams get an amount of money each season paid by larger market teams. It is supposed to be used on payroll to attract better talent and have more parody in the game. Sadly, that isn't what happens. There is no rule that says the money must be used for that purpose and usually it isn't. Instead it is used to line the owners pockets.

The Yankees have been willing to go after bigger talent and been willing to pay for it. They don't "buy" titles any more than any other professional sports team. That is simply an amazingly narrow view of the league. When every other team has players that play for free and the Yankees pay theirs, then that can be said it it really mean something.

As a Mets fan, I applaud the Yankees for using their vast financial resources wisely. As a New Yorker, I take a small amount of pride in the victories they bring home. As a Mets fan still, I despise the colossal arrogance and air of inevitability that wafts over from their Stadium

Coolbeans wrote:
Vector wrote:

If the Yankees are losing, I'm far more interested in baseball. Apart from seemingly buying championships (regardless of how accurate that perception was/is) they are possibly the most boring team North American sports.

I am always amazed when someone says this. "Buying championships?" I keep forgetting every other team is made up of volunteers and guys who play just for the love of the game.

Oh wait, that isn't how it is. Every other team has players that are paid millions as well. So are they trying to "buy" a championship?? You bet your butt they are! The problem today is revenue sharing. Small market teams get an amount of money each season paid by larger market teams. It is supposed to be used on payroll to attract better talent and have more parody in the game. Sadly, that isn't what happens. There is no rule that says the money must be used for that purpose and usually it isn't. Instead it is used to line the owners pockets.

The Yankees have been willing to go after bigger talent and been willing to pay for it. They don't "buy" titles any more than any other professional sports team. That is simply an amazingly narrow view of the league. When every other team has players that play for free and the Yankees pay theirs, then that can be said it it really mean something.

I know Loria in Miami is known to do this, but are there other owners known to do the same? Line the owners pockets, I mean. I know some teams probably put that money into scouting or international signings or something similar that's a better investment than giving a mediocre veteran a few million to sit on the bench until he's released due to being inferior to the minor leaguer who makes the league minimum.

Prior to the most recent CBA changes to the draft, most smaller market teams would pour extra money into the draft and international signings (and all things scouting that go along with that), since that's where a team could get the best return on their investment. That's changed with the slotting system, though, which I suspect will have long-term detrimental effects for overall competitiveness of the league.

I don't blame the Yankees, I blame how busted MLB economics is. Don't forget, the Dodgers are close to the Yankees' payroll (only $12M (or half an Astros payroll ) behind). I guess the Dodgers are trying to buy a championship as well. My beloved BoSox are $70M behind in 4th place, which is probably where they will finish in the East this year. I guess they need to try harder.

My detestation of the Yankees has more to do with their assumption of superiority. Mostly by their fans. Present company excluded, Coolbeans!

The Yankees spend money wah argument is pretty much the most boring one in sports.

Its as if people act like they win every year by a mile. If anything their spending and the results make baseball more interesting and hilarious when they fall flat on their faces.

Yes. Rays gave up a run to tie in the top of the 9th, but a solo HR won it in the bottom.

Lot of games left, but nice to get that first win after losing to Baltimore yesterday.

Stele wrote:

Yes. Rays gave up a run to tie in the top of the 9th, but a solo HR won it in the bottom.

Lot of games left, but nice to get that first win after losing to Baltimore yesterday.

AL East is going to be tough this year!

Stele wrote:

Yes. Rays gave up a run to tie in the top of the 9th, but a solo HR won it in the bottom.

Lot of games left, but nice to get that first win after losing to Baltimore yesterday.

It sucks being a Rays fan in NC where we are considered 'in market' for Baltimore. No MLBTV coverage for me when they play each other.

karmajay wrote:

AL East is going to be tough this year!

Yeah may be even worse than last year. Jeez.

I'd say Chris Davis is getting off to a good start this season. Three games, three homers and a bunch of RBIs.

garion333 wrote:

I'd say Chris Davis is getting off to a good start this season. Three games, three homers and a bunch of RBIs.

He's pretty much single handedly keeping my fantasy team alive.

Jayhawker wrote:
garion333 wrote:

I'd say Chris Davis is getting off to a good start this season. Three games, three homers and a bunch of RBIs.

He's pretty much single handedly keeping my fantasy team alive.

Make that four games and four home runs, with today's blast a grand slam. He now has 16 RBI's in those four games.

Joe Buck was trending on Twitter. I was really hoping he got fired or something but it was just people bitching about his terrible beard.

Back-to-back Rays shutouts!

I know, it's only Cleveland. :p

Dear Blue Jays fans. Stop panicking. It's only been a week - baseball has a loooooooooooooooooooooong season. (We were 1st in the AL East about 25% of the way thru the season last year, and we know how THAT ended up.)

Stele wrote:

Back-to-back Rays shutouts!

I know, it's only Cleveland. :p

Oh Karma, you silly little bitch. Just when people start feeling good about their teams, you come rearing your ugly head.

AndrewA wrote:

Dear Blue Jays fans. Stop panicking. It's only been a week - baseball has a loooooooooooooooooooooong season. (We were 1st in the AL East about 25% of the way thru the season last year, and we know how THAT ended up.)

Dear Blue Jay's fans. Keep panicking. JB is hurting again, you got an S-load of players from at team that had high expectations and failed, a guy who was suspended for PEDs, and a knuckleballer who was bound to regress. I won't even mention Colby Rasmus or Brett Lawrie

In all seriousness, it is early. The AL East is a division in which all teams could finish in first place and no one would be surprised, and every team could finish in last and no one would be surprised.

Jays fans should be excited about Morrow, he's going to have a really good year.

Kush15 wrote:
AndrewA wrote:

Dear Blue Jays fans. Stop panicking. It's only been a week - baseball has a loooooooooooooooooooooong season. (We were 1st in the AL East about 25% of the way thru the season last year, and we know how THAT ended up.)

Dear Blue Jay's fans. Keep panicking. JB is hurting again, you got an S-load of players from at team that had high expectations and failed, a guy who was suspended for PEDs, and a knuckleballer who was bound to regress. I won't even mention Colby Rasmus or Brett Lawrie

In all seriousness, it is early. The AL East is a division in which all teams could finish in first place and no one would be surprised, and every team could finish in last and no one would be surprised.

Jays fans should be excited about Morrow, he's going to have a really good year.

I'm more concerned about Lawrie's oblique than Bautista's lightly sprained ankle.... but not having those two bats in the line-up really blows.

I really like Rasmus despite his ability to underperform.... I mean, who else could wear a hair cloak: http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2013/0...

The big hole in the line-up is Adam effing Lind. He is awful, but keeps getting chances to sabotage games.

Starting pitching should be fine.... Dickey won't be as awesome as last year, but also not as godawful as yesterday afternoon. And yeah - Morrow is great to watch. (Fun stat, ERA of yesterday's starting pitchers league-wide: 9.50)

[quote=AndrewA]I really like Rasmus despite his ability to underperform.... I mean, who else could wear a hair cloak: http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2013/0...

I had Rasmus on my FB team last year during his awesome run. I am more impressed with the hair cloak, that's awesome.

Living in Canada and not being a Blue Jays fan I'm very much dying to jump all over their new band wagons fans.... just not 6 games in because its baseball.

as for yesterday I'm confused why some people have such low expectations for Boston. Plenty of good players still on that team and maybe the most important part they needed some addition by subtraction to shake up the clubhouse.

Happy opening day in Durham (AAA style)! First pitch!

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/sfL79wi.jpg)

Oh man the Rays got robbed last night in Texas.

Even the home plate umpire admitted it was a ball after the game.

EDIT: 4 different tv calls here, and every one of them, even the Texas guys, call it a ball.

Stele wrote:

Oh man the Rays got robbed last night in Texas.

Even the home plate umpire admitted it was a ball after the game.

EDIT: 4 different tv calls here, and every one of them, even the Texas guys, call it a ball.

I didn't see the game, but this was all over my twitter feed this morning.
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/yFRXteU.jpg)