Video Game Deals Catch-All

Mass Effect Legendary free with Amazon Prime today.

They have changed since the last few Origin giveaways and now you have to link your account instead of getting a key. So, no giving away keys this time. But hey, free games.

Stele wrote:

Mass Effect Legendary free with Amazon Prime today.

Oh yeah, good grab, thanks!

Goonch wrote:
Stele wrote:

Mass Effect Legendary free with Amazon Prime today.

Oh yeah, good grab, thanks!

Not showing in the Prime Gaming app, along with a few of the others. I could find it via a desktop web browser along with some other games not showing in app, though. The gaming app only has 3 Star Wars games added for taday: Republic Commando, Jedi Knight Jedi Academy, and Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast.

mrtomaytohead wrote:
Goonch wrote:
Stele wrote:

Mass Effect Legendary free with Amazon Prime today.

Oh yeah, good grab, thanks!

Not showing in the Prime Gaming app, along with a few of the others. I could find it via a desktop web browser along with some other games not showing in app, though. The gaming app only has 3 Star Wars games added for taday: Republic Commando, Jedi Knight Jedi Academy, and Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast.

You can claim it here. You'll need to link your Amazon and Origin account, then you'll be able to download it in the Origin app.

With the account linking, I wonder if you'll still have access to it if you cancel your Prime membership?

beanman101283 wrote:

With the account linking, I wonder if you'll still have access to it if you cancel your Prime membership?

Yeah those are just new ways to redeem the game instead of copy and paste keys. It's not like Origin checks back in with Amazon.

Don't give them any ideas though.

The Amazon Luna games at the bottom are more like that though. Only available to play for a month and have to stream them with an active account, etc.

All of the free Prime games you can keep even if you later drop Prime

For the in game content do you need to have the game on Prime?

Baron Of Hell wrote:

For the in game content do you need to have the game on Prime?

No, you have to connect your account with the game services. Like, for example, if you want to get the pack for Warzone you need to connect your account from prime with your account in Activision.

I'm old, so I get confused about these new-fangled, open-world games the youngsters are playing. The Outer Worlds (not Outer Wilds) is now $19.67 on Steam. I have missed any discussion of the game here, so I'm wondering if this is a good time to go in. I mean out.

I enjoyed it a lot.

I will say - do you have any other systems? Looking at DekuDeals it is only $14 on the Xbox, $15 on the PS4, and $20 on the Switch. And those prices have happened fairly frequently so the Steam price isn't amazing.

Natus wrote:

I'm old, so I get confused about these new-fangled, open-world games the youngsters are playing. The Outer Worlds (not Outer Wilds) is now $19.67 on Steam. I have missed any discussion of the game here, so I'm wondering if this is a good time to go in. I mean out.

It was (is? I unsubscribed.) free on Gamepass PC. The CRPG club played it last year. I would not describe it as "open world." It's like a stripped-down Fallout 4 in space, with better NPC companions and more overt humor.

Math wrote:
Natus wrote:

I'm old, so I get confused about these new-fangled, open-world games the youngsters are playing. The Outer Worlds (not Outer Wilds) is now $19.67 on Steam. I have missed any discussion of the game here, so I'm wondering if this is a good time to go in. I mean out.

It was (is? I unsubscribed.) free on Gamepass PC. The CRPG club played it last year. I would not describe it as "open world." It's like a stripped-down Fallout 4 in space, with better NPC companions and more overt humor.

It's still on gamepass. It's fun and well made, but a little generic. I would call it workmanlike.

IUMogg wrote:
Math wrote:
Natus wrote:

I'm old, so I get confused about these new-fangled, open-world games the youngsters are playing. The Outer Worlds (not Outer Wilds) is now $19.67 on Steam. I have missed any discussion of the game here, so I'm wondering if this is a good time to go in. I mean out.

It was (is? I unsubscribed.) free on Gamepass PC. The CRPG club played it last year. I would not describe it as "open world." It's like a stripped-down Fallout 4 in space, with better NPC companions and more overt humor.

It's still on gamepass. It's fun and well made, but a little generic. I would call it workmanlike.

I would agree with the Fallout 4 comparison as it is obvious to anyone who has played both.

I found Outer Worlds morality decisions to be an incredibly engaging portion of the game. Many games give you choices to different scenarios but they often break down to:

Option1 - Do you have basic human empathy?
Option2 - Selfish/Greedy
Option3 - Complete psychopathy

I was very impressed with Outer Worlds as they offered scenarios and choices with true nuance and with no correct answer or completely perfect outcome. I bounced all the way off of Fallout 4 but I finished Outer Worlds and was left wanting more.

Player Hater wrote:

I was very impressed with Outer Worlds as they offered scenarios and choices with true nuance and with no correct answer or completely perfect outcome. I bounced all the way off of Fallout 4 but I finished Outer Worlds and was left wanting more.

Agree with this 100%. I couldn't stick with Fallout 4 for very long at all, but really enjoyed Outer Worlds.

I played outer worlds as an anti corpo shoot first don't think about it character. When one of my companions had a personal quest I dropped all of my plans to do that quest as I loved the idea of that being a quest.

Free on Epic this week: Shop Titans & Tannenberg

Free on Epic next week: Lawn Mowing Simulator

I really enjoyed Outer Worlds and finished it twice which is very rare for me. It's easy to see its rough edges but I really enjoyed how divergent the character growth paths were. I played a playthrough where I was able to talk my way out of 95% of combat. I remember most of the characters were interesting enough to want to know more about them. The locations were just good enough and along with the mediocre animations showed the budget constraints. I was able to see past that though and enjoy it.

Y'all have convinced me to buy Outer Worlds even though I wasn't even considering it before this week

Shawnosaurus wrote:

Y'all have convinced me to buy Outer Worlds even though I wasn't even considering it before this week :)

It's on Xbox/PC Game Pass, if you have access to that.

Edit: Wrong thread

As a substitute, I'll mention that Humble has a nice deck builder bundle. I really enjoyed One Step From Eden and I've heard great things of Vault of the Void.

For the next 24 hours, Woot! is selling brand new Switch Lites for $159.99 (while supplies last, I guess).

A_Unicycle wrote:

Edit: Wrong thread

As a substitute, I'll mention that Humble has a nice deck builder bundle. I really enjoyed One Step From Eden and I've heard great things of Vault of the Void.

Vault of the Void is excellent. Self-contained with no meta nor micro transactions. Excellent theme. Highly recommended.

Epic Freebie-of-the-week: Lawn Mowing Simulator

Next week: Unrailed!

Not a sale but the original Rage is a steal at £7.99 on steam.

Amazon is selling "The Quarry", the latest cinematic adventure (?) game from Supermassive Games, for £38. That's 40% price drop since the games release in mid-June.

for comparison, Currys and Argos have it at £54. GAME has it at £40.

Epic Freebie-of-the-week: Unrailed!

Next week: Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?!

merphle wrote:

Next week: Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?!

Do I need to play the first 2?

Cook, Serve?

No, you can pick up any CSD game and be fine. In #3 you're running a food truck instead of a restaurant. I've played #2 and #3 and both times I was surprised at how bad I was at them. They can certainly get challenging (at least for me!), but they're fun.

Shawnosaurus wrote:

No, you can pick up any CSD game and be fine.

Yeah, but you'll be missing out on all the lore!