Video Game Deals Catch-All

XIII is Free via GOG for the next 24 hours. You will see banner for the deal on the front page.

A movie tie-in game is free on Prime gaming. I am blanking on the details except for the surprise I felt that those were still a thing. I thought Lego had that market cornered.

The Dark Crystal something something Tactics.

Edit: and I just remembered that there is a new show for that. I say new but it is probably old now. I have kids and there is a pandemic going on.

It's also on Xbox game pass haven't tried it.

Prime Gaming has updated for April:
The Escapists
Move or Die - Couch Party Edition
Before I Forget
Aces of the Luftwaffe - Squadron
Moving Out

And, since I have the page up: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics

Free on Epic: Tales of the Neon Sea. An adventure game with some traditional puzzle elements and a mystery/detective story. No idea if it's any good, but I sure do dig the art style.

Spoiler:

 
IMAGE(https://cdn2.unrealengine.com/egs-talesoftheneonsea-palmpioneer-g1a-05-1920x1080-81c3c165f59e.jpg)

Also, there's a 20% discount on the Kingdom Hearts games through April 6 - their first time releasing on a PC platform. I bought Kingdom Hearts 3 on PS4 one single day before Epic announced it was coming to PC. You're all welcome.

Next week's free game will be: 3 out of 10 Season Two.

Rezzy wrote:

Prime Gaming has updated for April:
The Escapists
Move or Die - Couch Party Edition
Before I Forget
Aces of the Luftwaffe - Squadron
Moving Out

And, since I have the page up: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics

Yes, but does that include The Dark Crystal ballet?

Steel Rats is free on GOG and Steam for next 40 hours or so.

XCOM: Ultimate Collection - $12 (Steam key)

Includes XCOM 1 & 2 w/all DLC + Chimera Squad

Well that's close to the lowest price for Chimera. And maybe someday I could get around to WotC... maybe.

Aaron D. wrote:

XCOM: Ultimate Collection - $12 (Steam key)

Includes XCOM 1 & 2 w/all DLC + Chimera Squad

Well buying that was a good idea, until I realized it was a 70GB+ game and I'm still on a 250GB SSD.

I think I might *just* be able to open up enough room to be able to play Long War 2. I feel like I'm in the 1990s.

Stele wrote:

Well that's close to the lowest price for Chimera. And maybe someday I could get around to WotC... maybe.

Do it. WotC took XCOM2 from good game to one of my favorite games ever. It makes everything about XCOM2 (and XCOM for that matter) better.

Edit: Also, that's an incredible value for $12. I have > 100hrs in both XCOM and XCOM2, and another 30 or so in Chimera Squad.

I did.

Spent a couple hours on Chimera Squad tonight already. Very focused and fun. I'll need to jump back in that thread soon.

Mario 3d World + Bowser's Fury for Switch is $10 off at Best Buy and Amazon.

Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection (PS4) $14.97 at gamestop. I never played the zero or zx mega man games.

Stele wrote:

Mario 3d World + Bowser's Fury for Switch is $10 off at Best Buy and Amazon.

Best Mario ever! Amazing couch co-op!

Battletech is 75% off on Steam today - $10. Excellent turn-based mech battler if you have not yet jumped into the pool. Tons of mods to extend it, too.

Robear wrote:

Battletech is 75% off on Steam today - $10. Excellent turn-based mech battler if you have not yet jumped into the pool. Tons of mods to extend it, too.

It’s also on gamepass PC for anyone who has that.

Robear wrote:

Battletech is 75% off on Steam today - $10. Excellent turn-based mech battler if you have not yet jumped into the pool. Tons of mods to extend it, too.

Battletech is also in the Paradox build your own bundle on Fanatical. For not much more you can get three Paradox games including Battletech.

Good deals on that bundle. Unfortunately I already have everything I want from that bundle

I'd beware of that bundle; those are all base games, and Paradox has leaned hard into DLC. Base-version Stellaris, for instance, is more or less one gigantic advertisement for all the systems you don't have, and isn't a lot of fun to play as a consequence.

As I see it, those are traps to try to get you on the DLC train. The DLC for Stellaris (the game I know best) is two hundred dollars. The Battletech DLC is $75. Surviving Mars DLC is $67. Cities:Skylines is $210.

Make sure you're getting what you think you're getting when you opt into that bundle. As is, the resemblance to an offer of free cocaine is surprisingly strong.

I agree to some extent with what you say about Paradox’s DLC strategy. They make games that have longevity because their continued development is funded by releasing and selling DLC.

I would argue that you can still get a lot of hours of entertainment from their base games and that many more hours can be had by getting just a small selection of the DLC. Most of the DLC is available on sale often (usually 50% off or a lot more).

Speaking of my experience, I played Surviving Mars for at least 50 hours before getting the Season Pass (I recommend Green Planet, the rest is ok). Stellaris has gone through a few changes since launch and most would agree the Utopia DLC is a highly recommended purchase, perhaps add one of the story DLC’s. I’m sure you could get 100+ hours with just those. Battletech, DLC isn’t at all necessary until you’ve played many hours and want more Mechs and/or different environments.
I could say similar things about a number of the other games in the bundle, many of which are published by Paradox but were developed by other studios.

The bundle is a good way to see if you like one of their games and possibly get many hours of enjoyment from them before getting some of the DLC when on sale. I’ve managed to do that and not spend more than £25 (approx $30), and often much less, on any single Paradox game.

The Wizards is the Quest deal of the day. $18.99. Anyone have an opinion on this game? I’m happy if the core experience is a good one and offers a fun experience even if short. For example, Space Pirate Trainer is an A game for me.I usually play in short bursts with my family or friends when they visit.

Thanks,
Chad

Malor wrote:

I'd beware of that bundle; those are all base games, and Paradox has leaned hard into DLC. Base-version Stellaris, for instance, is more or less one gigantic advertisement for all the systems you don't have, and isn't a lot of fun to play as a consequence.

As I see it, those are traps to try to get you on the DLC train. The DLC for Stellaris (the game I know best) is two hundred dollars. The Battletech DLC is $75. Surviving Mars DLC is $67. Cities:Skylines is $210.

Make sure you're getting what you think you're getting when you opt into that bundle. As is, the resemblance to an offer of free cocaine is surprisingly strong.

Counterpoint - vanilla Stellaris is plenty fun if you can avoid the DLC FOMO. Same for Battletech.

Further counterpoint, DLC goes on sale, and THAT'S when a lot of us pile into it. It's a rare person who pays two hundred bucks for all the Cities: Skylines DLC, but $40 for the lot on a deep sale discount? Tempting.

Steam has the Halo Master Chief Collection on sale for $19.99, which is the lowest I've seen it but I just added it to my Wishlist

I'm pretty sure it's on Gamepass too

Fanatical is doing a Build Your Own All Stars Bundle at the moment. One game I noticed on there was the Homeworld Remastered collection, which you could technically get for $1 through this bundle.

Jonman wrote:

Counterpoint - vanilla Stellaris is plenty fun if you can avoid the DLC FOMO. Same for Battletech.

About half the UI exists to sell you stuff you don't have. It is super intrusive and annoying.

I suspect most of the commenters that say 'base Stellaris is fine!' have not actually tried base Stellaris anytime recently.

Free on Epic this week: 3 out of 10: Season Two.

Next week, a threefer of freebies: Deponia: The Complete Journey, The Pillars of the Earth, and The First Tree.

Malor wrote:
Jonman wrote:

Counterpoint - vanilla Stellaris is plenty fun if you can avoid the DLC FOMO. Same for Battletech.

About half the UI exists to sell you stuff you don't have. It is super intrusive and annoying.

I suspect most of the commenters that say 'base Stellaris is fine!' have not actually tried base Stellaris anytime recently.

Base stellaris is okay. It was much worse before though. They've done a bunch of free updates that improved the game greatly. But I feel the game is just better the more content it has. With a bunch of the DLCs I've put way more time into it. I got them fairly cheap. They usually go on sale. There was a humble bundle a while back that was super cheap.

The Paradox DLC strategy feels like an argument for the ages, lol.

I'm more than happy to see their marquee titles developed & refined for years, but I can understand that it's not for everyone.