MACE (gaming con in Charlotte, NC) - Nov. 15 - 17, 2013

I think we should all spend the weekend together and play board games and RPGs. I'd like to invite / convince you to come to MACE in Charlotte, NC November 15 - 17.

http://www.justusproductions.com/index.php/justus/mace/2/2/2

MACE is a great small to medium sized con (a few hundred people) with a full schedule of events and a generous open gaming space. It is well-run and every staff member I've met has been friendly and accommodating.

It moved from High Point to Charlotte last year. I missed it last fall because I went to Penguin Con instead. But I've attended MACE several years and I've always enjoyed it.

GenCon is getting to be too big of an expense for me (and too big of a con, frankly). The big draw of GenCon for me is that I get to spend a few solid days playing games with friends. I'd love to see MACE become something like that (until Raleigh gets a decent con of its own). I have a few friends I typically go to MACE with, but I need GWJ's large NC contingent to really help lock it into permanence on my calendar.

Registration is open and the $93 hotel rate is good until November 1 or until the block is sold out. Anyone interested? I may be able to answer questions you have about it. I want you to join us!

Update: Here's the schedule of events:
http://justusproductions.com/ogre/in...

Aww, looks like fun, but we'll be going to Japan then. Sorry, but Japan wins.

Ranger Rick wrote:
Aww, looks like fun, but we'll be going to Japan then. Sorry, but Japan wins. :)

Wow. Awesome. Just vacation or anything specific?

The PS4 comes out on November 15. Might affect peoples' decisions to attend.

FSeven wrote:
The PS4 comes out on November 15. Might affect peoples' decisions to attend.

Hah. You're right! And I've got mine pre-ordered. Guess my wife might get first dibs at Next Gen.

Hmm...this is tempting. It's about a six-hour drive, and I'm not sure I can clear it with work and/or the fam, but I'll look into it.

Sway, just has a heads-up, there's a similarly-sized conference in Nashville each March called Tennessee Game Days. It runs around 250-300 and is a ton of fun. We had a half-dozen GWJers there last year who crashed on people's couches, and I hope to get more this year. Hot chicken for everyone!

Minarchist wrote:
Hot chicken for everyone!

That sounds like a euphemism for something sexual. Like a Chili Dog, a Cleveland Steamer, or a Rusty Trombone.

"Hey...want to come crash on my couch? I'll give you some hot chicken."

No, it is a thing of true beauty. And, uh, heat.

Minarchist wrote:
Sway, just has a heads-up, there's a similarly-sized conference in Nashville each March called Tennessee Game Days. It runs around 250-300 and is a ton of fun. We had a half-dozen GWJers there last year who crashed on people's couches, and I hope to get more this year. Hot chicken for everyone!

That sounds perfect, except for the 8 hours to Nashville. PenguinCon is also 8 hours. It's such an inconvenient amount of hours away. Four hours is a long drive. Six hours is a maybe. But 8, especially for a weekend type event, is usually a no go. Maybe I can arrange to be in Nashville for some other reason or convince a big enough group to go to split the driving.

Oh, right, Clayton is two hours EAST of Charlotte. Carry on then.

Minarchist wrote:
Hmm...this is tempting. It's about a six-hour drive, and I'm not sure I can clear it with work and/or the fam, but I'll look into it.

Sway, just has a heads-up, there's a similarly-sized conference in Nashville each March called Tennessee Game Days. It runs around 250-300 and is a ton of fun. We had a half-dozen GWJers there last year who crashed on people's couches, and I hope to get more this year. Hot chicken for everyone!

I should be attending next year.

I'm in! Sway, since we live close'ish, want to ride and maybe room together?

Distantsound wrote:
I'm in! Sway, since we live close'ish, want to ride and maybe room together?

If my usual MACE crew doesn't flake out, I've probably already got roommates. Hopefully we'll stir up some interest between now and then to get a bigger crew going down. I haven't decided about driving yet. I've been tempted to take the train out of novelty, but the hotel is 7 miles from the Amtrak station (CLT) so I'd probably have to cab it to the hotel. Carpool is definitely still on the table, though.

Excited to have at least one more person interested, though. We will play so many games.

Bumping this thread now that it's October. I let it sit for a bit because it was starting to look like work was going to prevent me from going. This week I made some work arrangements so that I'm about 95% sure I'll be able to attend. I went ahead and registered for MACE and booked my hotel room.

I just wanted to remind everyone of the Con's existence. The schedule is up for you to peruse, but I'd be content just playing pick-up board games all weekend.

http://justusproductions.com/ogre/in...

I'll be at MACE and also running Numenera on Saturday morning.

Saturday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Numenera- THE NIGHTMARE SWITCH (Kickstart Exclusive Module)

At this point there are 3 seats left at the table.

RedJen wrote:
I'll be at MACE and also running Numenera on Saturday morning.

Saturday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Numenera- THE NIGHTMARE SWITCH (Kickstart Exclusive Module)

At this point there are 3 seats left at the table.

Sweet. Lots of people talking good things about that game. Have you been to MACE before? I don't recall seeing you at any of the High Point MACEs.

Sway wrote:
RedJen wrote:
I'll be at MACE and also running Numenera on Saturday morning.

Saturday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Numenera- THE NIGHTMARE SWITCH (Kickstart Exclusive Module)

At this point there are 3 seats left at the table.

Sweet. Lots of people talking good things about that game. Have you been to MACE before? I don't recall seeing you at any of the High Point MACEs.


I was at the first MACE, but this is my first time back. I hear it has grown quite a bit in the last 10+ years

RedJen wrote:

I was at the first MACE, but this is my first time back. I hear it has grown quite a bit in the last 10+ years

Wow. Very cool. I've been to maybe 4 or 5 and I've always had a great time. Now we just need to convince everyone else to go. And I need to remember how to stay awake past 9:30PM.

Ok, I'm trying to sort this out for my schedule. Will I miss anything if I drive to Mace Friday night after work instead of taking Friday off?

BadMojo wrote:
Ok, I'm trying to sort this out for my schedule. Will I miss anything if I drive to Mace Friday night after work instead of taking Friday off?

The scheduled activities begin at 3pm on Friday, but it's not a big deal if you miss the first slot. In the past I've scheduled games for every slot in my schedule. This year I think I'm going to keep my schedule mostly open for pick-up boardgames.

It looks like I won't be able to make it this year. Lets hope for next year!

Distantsound wrote:
It looks like I won't be able to make it this year. Lets hope for next year!

Sorry you won't make it, Distantsound.

Still plenty of time to sign up if anyone else is interested. I'll be there with at least 3 others who will be hungry for boardgames. We'll be bringing a bunch and there's a rental library full of others. If you can't come for the whole weekend, you can get a Saturday pass for $15. I realize Charlotte is a hike for a day trip, though. I'm just trying to consider all the angles I might be able to pitch this to y'all.

For those of you who may still be subscribed to this thread, I've created the 2014 thread here:
http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/1...