World of Tanks: Catch All

I decided I had to give them some money last night. I'm having so much fun and I could get some good stuff with gold so I purchased about $20 worth. With it I purchased 1 month of premium time (double XP/Credit earnings and the ability to create a group with my brother to ensure we get in the same matches on the same team) Then I bought a bunch of ib-game cash to spend on tanks and modules and a better crew for my next Artillery piece. Then I converted a bunch of XP from one tank to Free XP that could be spent on anything.

It was a nice step up. Im earning 200-500 xp a match and 5k-8k credits too so things are moving a little faster. I'm not in a huge rush to advance but I would like to get a Medium tank soon to expand on the playstyles I can participate in.

I am fairly certain there's no way to convert XP into gold.

Ya the game is fun but the fact that paying RL money gives people such an advantage turns me off. Right now its no big deal at the lower T1 and T2 but if i did want to spend time in the game i'd be required to pay money to be competitive.

Its all convenience. I cant buy a better gun. I can only get to it a bit faster than if I hadnt paid. That is not an advantage. Its grind reduction, which I am all for.

polypusher wrote:

Its all convenience. I cant buy a better gun. I can only get to it a bit faster than if I hadnt paid. That is not an advantage. Its grind reduction, which I am all for.

Those tanks you buy though are better. I've not seen a way to get gold without spending real currency.

I havent tried to buy a tank with gold but my understanding is that they're a taste of the class of tank, not a dominant version of the tank class.

Supposedly there's plans for alternate ways to get gold like acting as a mercenary for clan wars, but really, theres no reason to demand that the game have the most amazing experience for free players always and eff those who'll drop a few bucks on the game.

polypusher wrote:

I havent tried to buy a tank with gold but my understanding is that they're a taste of the class of tank, not a dominant version of the tank class.

Supposedly there's plans for alternate ways to get gold like acting as a mercenary for clan wars, but really, theres no reason to demand that the game have the most amazing experience for free players always and eff those who'll drop a few bucks on the game.

If there was a way to get the same item within the game without paying cash then thats all good. If not ya they can definitely eff off. It's a pet peeve of mine with all F2P models.

ranalin wrote:

If there was a way to get the same item within the game without paying cash then thats all good. If not ya they can definitely eff off. It's a pet peeve of mine with all F2P models.

Thats an awful lot of entitlement. Most F2P games in the US have done things right. Give you fun things to do but tempt you to give them some money at the same time. That's perfectly fair. Its still up to you to decide if you want to do it. I dont think the fear that the F2P game makers would stick a Uber Sword of Awesomeness on their cash store has ever materialized, its just a thing people say they worry about.

The tanks that are cash store only are certainly not Uber Tanks of Awesomeness.

is there any reason to upgrade the starter tank or should you just save until you get get a bettre tank?

EDIT: since next level tanks are like 100k it doesnt hurt to use research to make your tank better it seems.

polypusher wrote:
ranalin wrote:

If there was a way to get the same item within the game without paying cash then thats all good. If not ya they can definitely eff off. It's a pet peeve of mine with all F2P models.

Thats an awful lot of entitlement. Most F2P games in the US have done things right. Give you fun things to do but tempt you to give them some money at the same time. That's perfectly fair. Its still up to you to decide if you want to do it. I dont think the fear that the F2P game makers would stick a Uber Sword of Awesomeness on their cash store has ever materialized, its just a thing people say they worry about.

The tanks that are cash store only are certainly not Uber Tanks of Awesomeness.

While they may not be UToA they're better than what you get normally. There's also ammo thats unavailable without cash. That tips the scales in a competitive match and i dont think its fair. So call it entitlement if ya want but there's other games that make their competitions fair in a F2P model.

The game is fun, but with that one caveat. Some people wont care and others will.

So, cool concept but I can already see the epic grinding that is needed to get to the useful tanks.

I gave it a shot and couldn't get past the Russian, German and US tanks being randomly placed on the same side or the lack of ballistics. It seems they have succeeded in making the FPS version of tank team death match.

Besides WWII Online, Red Orchestra is still probably the best game out there for tank battles.

TrashiDawa wrote:

I gave it a shot and couldn't get past the Russian, German and US tanks being randomly placed on the same side or the lack of ballistics. It seems they have succeeded in making the FPS version of tank team death match.

Besides WWII Online, Red Orchestra is still probably the best game out there for tank battles.

If you want to have "historically" correct battles your need to form up companies and do the campaign (which I am still trying to figure out). The battles where designed to just let people jump and go without the headaches of forcing sides. I does "grind" on me a little but I enjoy the mechanics I just pretend it is captured equipment. As you stated there is not much else out there either...

Played a fair amount in the open beta. Made my way up to a fully kitted out PzIV, then was working on the tank after that. I was distracted for a while with a fully kitted M5 Stuart. Had a lot of fun running that thing around as a scout. I'm getting a bit stagnate in my current go-to games, so I'm thinking about returning to WoT and seeing how I like their microtransaction model.

Gotta say, I'm still loving this game. I got a 150mm gun on my german Grille artillery. It can reach across every single map and can take heavy tanks from 100% to 50% in one shot. My T34 medium tank is finally starting to perform. It was very hard to get used to and I still suck in most matches but Im getting better. Got 1500xp in the last match (that was after doubling). Got my boss and a few coworkers into it but I dont think we really have enough people to bother with a clan.

polypusher wrote:

Gotta say, I'm still loving this game. I got a 150mm gun on my german Grille artillery. It can reach across every single map and can take heavy tanks from 100% to 50% in one shot. My T34 medium tank is finally starting to perform. It was very hard to get used to and I still suck in most matches but Im getting better. Got 1500xp in the last match (that was after doubling). Got my boss and a few coworkers into it but I dont think we really have enough people to bother with a clan.

I'm still tier 2 on my light tank and arty, but if you get enough i'll jump in some to play. It's frustrating sometimes when the pubs refuse to go back and defend your cap point.

Have the game sitting on my hard drive but haven't loaded it up. Where do I need to go to be sure I can play with GWJrs?

Never did the Tank Destroyer route in beta. I initially started with the medium tank route on German side(like I did in beta), but went over to the Pz 35 (t) to work towards TD while still having some fun in light tanks for a bit. I'm currently on the Pz 38 (t) and probably need about 60,000 or so more credits before I can pick up the Hetzer. Since I've pimped out the pz38(t) I've been getting placed in matches with mostly tier 4, 5, or even 6 which has been challenging but fun! I've enjoyed some encounters with arti when I can sneak through the lines and just circle them to death :D. I've go into a few matches where I'm top dog and have been too cocky, very humbling experience.

Not sure what I want to do for my next tank, maybe American Medium or Russian Medium. I haven't done any heavy tanks either.

TheWanderer wrote:

Have the game sitting on my hard drive but haven't loaded it up. Where do I need to go to be sure I can play with GWJrs?

At some point we would be able to make a clan and do clan vs clan matches but I've been having too much fun in completely random pub matches to give it much thought.

Edit: And thats the best medal/achievement Ive heard of in this game

lol, I was awarded a rather strange medal a while ago:

Billotte's Medal
Awarded to players who destroy at least one enemy vehicle and survive the battle to victory despite receiving at least five different critical hits and 80% or more loss of hit points.

Pierre Billotte was a captain in the French Army who destroyed 2 PzKpfw IV, 11 PzKpfw III and 2 guns with his Char B1bis on May 16, 1940.

I think I had 8% of my hp left.

I'm still grinding away in the A-20, trying to get into the T-34 (I really enjoyed this one). I've also taken a little side-trip into the German Artillery line (I had only done the Russian Arties and Lights/Mediums in Beta).

Just heard about this today. I'm downloading now. Hopefully, I'll get some time to play this weekend.

Wow. The Hetzer is brutal. I'm sure I'm not adjusting well to Tank Destroyers after running around in light tanks, but I enjoyed some major frustration with the Hetzer last night. It may also have been that I was playing way too late, which also contributes to more unbalanced matches thanks to fewer players being on.

Right now I'm just pushing through and hoping to pick up 12,000 experience for the Stug III. Money doesn't seem to be a problem, I was pulling in 5k+ every match, but the experience points are moving at a crawl due to my poor performance.

I don't think the Hetzer is one that's going to stay in my garage.

Played quite a bit this weekend. I really want to like this game, but I'm terrible at it.

After wading into the medium tanks a bit, I decided that wasn't for me. I'd rather try playing as a light tank scout, or as SPG artillery. I'll probably keep at it for a bit, though any tips would be welcome.

Ive found the medium tanks and the heavier light tanks much harder to play. I'm a big fan of the light BT-2 because I can literally move faster than my opponents turrets can track at close range, so I'm immune to just about any solo opponent. Plus I get put at the top of many matches (a measure of the value of the tanks in the match) which gives me the confidence to try some insane moves that are lots of fun

In Medium tanks, I see more people do well by finding a conflict and hanging out in the back of it, cherry picking shots. Concentrate on the enemy light and medium tanks, maybe their Tank Destroyers if you can get a flank shot on one. If your only potential shot is against a heavy, fire at his treads if you can see them. If not, don't bother unless you have a great gun.

There are ways you can still hurt a heavy, especially if you have HE rounds, but you are probably better off applying your gun to softer targets.

As a medium, if you get caught in the open, just keep moving. You can take more shots than you used to and more shells will miss or get deflected when you're moving and juking. A good strategy would be to move up to a conflict and start to back away from it, pausing to fire at the enemy every few seconds. This puts your front armor facing them and hopefully draws them deeper into more dangerous territory where your artillery and other friends can get shots on them. The trouble with engaging dug in tanks is that they have great positions and often have cover from artillery fire. But internet wackos are impatient and odds are you can get a few to engage farther than they should.

I just unlocked the first Russian heavy tank, the KV. Boy do I suck with it. I tend to roll up to a battle, get all fire concentrated on me and do little to nothing in return. Getting upgrades for it has been quite slow so far.

KV => don't fall for the trap of getting the 122 or 152 cannons. they are not easy to play with. The 107 is an amazing gun.

Hertzer => you have 2 choices. hide way in the back with the high AP cannon or rush up to them point blank and shoot the big HE cannon.
ps. spend 50k credits and buy cammo. the Hertzer Loves to hide in bushes and the cammo makes it much easier.

Finally got around to checking this out. It's definitely a blast, even though I suck and there are some horrible and annoying pubbies out there.

Yay, thanks to the 5x RP day, I'm into the T-34. I really liked that tank while in beta with the 57mm gun on it: rapid RoF, good penetration. So I'll be happy to putz around in that one, and not be so hung up on the RP-progression.

I've got the Sturmpanzer II (tier 3 German arty) as well. I'm not sure I like it as much as the Russian ones I had tried in beta. It might just be the lack of gold (ie: no 100% trained crews). The reload times feel like foreverrrr.

AnimeJ wrote:

Finally got around to checking this out. It's definitely a blast, even though I suck and there are some horrible and annoying pubbies out there.

Terrible tactics: (these should be fairly obvious to anyone that has played any co-op shooter)
- Amazing how many times you get left hanging by teammates: you move up, and nobody follows/backs you up.
- Entire team goes one way, and they spend too much time pussy-footing around corners and not rushing out to overwhelm the 2-3 opposing tanks.
- Tanks all bunched up together at the same corner: not flanking!! Make your target have to choose which way to point his gun, not just point at the one stack of y'all.
- Call your targets: Focus fire!! They have an easy button to do that: press "T" with reticule on the target. A tank @ 10% is just as deadly as one @ 100% (ignoring reduced gun accuracy/reload etc due to crits)

Sorry, just venting I suppose

I've gotten to the Sturm II as well for my artie fun. I like it, but 15 shots is not all that many, even if I'm connecting often.

I'm using the US tree for my tanks. I'm pretty awful with the Lee, so it will take me some time to accumulate the XP to get into the heavy lineup.

Anyway, my user name is Casisto in game. Friend me up people.

So I've broken into 3rd tier light and the 2nd tier of medium tanks, and holy smokes how much do I hate artillery. Seriously, screw that crap, superaccurate oneshot you from halfway across the map.

Not if I'm firing it.