Fabulous Final Fantasy Franchise Discussion Catch-all

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Regarding difficulties, I found FFIV to be quite hard at times, mostly because they really don't balance your party all that well. As I recall, wasn't there a lengthy bit where you have 4 mages and only 1 melee?

3 Mages I think, although I can't remember if you have Edward during that portion or not. It's not terrible if I remember right because most of the monsters there are undead so the mages make short work of anything you come across.

shoptroll wrote:
SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Regarding difficulties, I found FFIV to be quite hard at times, mostly because they really don't balance your party all that well. As I recall, wasn't there a lengthy bit where you have 4 mages and only 1 melee?

3 Mages I think, although I can't remember if you have Edward during that portion or not. It's not terrible if I remember right because most of the monsters there are undead so the mages make short work of anything you come across.

Yes, that was it--3 mages, the bard, and a melee, and most beasties were vulnerable. Problem being, spells aren't free.

I think you're recalling Mt. Ordeal, actually, which was Cecil, Palom, Porom, and on the way up Tellah. However, as Shop said, most of the foes were undead so Fire and Cure saw a lot of use. Unfortunately, Tellah's stats are major nerfed, but I think the way they implement that and weaker spells compared to the two prodigies was actually really creative. What happens when a bad ass wizard simply gets really old?

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

But I love my PS1 FFT, confounding translation (that at least once gives you incorrect victory conditions) and all. I'll accept that the PSP version is the best, but I'd also say FFT is worth playing in whatever format you can.

I agree with this. People can say what they want about the superior translation to War of the Lions, even with it's Intern-level translation FFTactics has a wonderful and fantastic story. It just requires a bit of paying attention to figure out Ophelia and Ovelia are the same person.

As for Lightning's boob job in the next entry of the FF13 saga, that sounds like something done more for Japanese fans, which seems incredibly strange considering how much sexism and other issues are being discussed in the Western games industry, which is supposedly what a company as large as Squenix is trying to appeal to more. Complaining about it would be repeating what's already been said. I'm just curious what's going on, or what they really see from us, that a backlash would not be foreseen.

Didn´t you also accquire Yang on top of Mt. Ordeals?

That was a mountain before. Spoilering just in case:

Spoiler:

I believe Tellah had left the party by then since he blamed the Spoony Bard for his daughter's demise. It was Cecil, Edward, Rosa, and Rydia, and then you got Yang. Then you get to Yang's castle, fight all the people's, Rosa gets captured. You set sail for Baron, Leviathan attacks, swallows Rydia, Edward goes unconscious, Yang dives off the boat to try and save Rydia, and Cecil wakes up outside Mysidia...where he gets Palom and Porom, and then you're sent to ANOTHER mountain.

I played that game a lot as a kid.

ccesarano wrote:

That was a mountain before. Spoilering just in case:

Spoiler:

I believe Tellah had left the party by then since he blamed the Spoony Bard for his daughter's demise. It was Cecil, Edward, Rosa, and Rydia, and then you got Yang. Then you get to Yang's castle, fight all the people's, Rosa gets captured. You set sail for Baron, Leviathan attacks, swallows Rydia, Edward goes unconscious, Yang dives off the boat to try and save Rydia, and Cecil wakes up outside Mysidia...where he gets Palom and Porom, and then you're sent to ANOTHER mountain.

I played that game a lot as a kid.

Dammit cces, You´re making me have a FF pile. I´ve started a FFVI playthrough on my emulator (nothing beats the fastforward). I´ve also started two FFVII playthroughs, one on steam for cheevos, but since I was so turned off by the horrible tweaking of the music, I created a PS1 memory card on my PS3, and popped that sumbitch´s disc 1 in there, and am on my way to bomb the No. 5 Reactor.

BUT, before I dive back into all of that, I´m 7 matches away from Wakka´s stupid Jupiter Sigil, and about 120-130 more fights with Ironclad for those HP Spheres, so I cna have 99,999 on all my characters. This is the first time I´ve customized the entire Sphere Grid. It´s long and tedious, but playing on the Grid is so much fun. I´m down to 119hrs in the game so far. Beaten everything, even Nemesis.

THEN, and only then, Can I embark on the lovely quest that is FFIV! Calcobrena, Valvalis, Rubicante, Kainazzo, Milon, Golbez, Zeromus! Ah, the memories!

Mod the music on your steam version. You can either get a user-made remix (the one Stele linked a few pages back is very good), or probably find the original in ogg format. It's an in-place mod, so you won't lose achievements or cloud saves.

Keep in mind that, for the most part, FF4 is only a roughly 25 hour game, compared to the rest of the series...

ahrezmendi wrote:

Mod the music on your steam version. You can either get a user-made remix (the one Stele linked a few pages back is very good), or probably find the original in ogg format. It's an in-place mod, so you won't lose achievements or cloud saves.

Yeah you just replace the ogg files and it works. No loss of stuff.

It sounds fantastic.

PC > PS1, all the way. :p

I am so disappointed that FF 14 is an MMO. It just seems like the world has so much potential and the few screenshots I've seen their design choices are very appealing to me. With the exception of some not so protective female warrior armor.

While typing this I ran their benchmark test and the aesthetics are very nice. I like almost all the armor styles they showed in the test and the game looks really good. Monster designs seemed varied and interesting but I can pretty much guarantee that I would detest playing the actual game.

Also, someone said Moogles should never talk in a FF game in the JRPG thread. I say you are wrong! Mog was freaking awesome.

...did Mog ever say more than Kupo, though?

I think, however, it should be noted that the first appearance of Moogles that I can recall was Secret of Mana, and they certainly spoke in that.

I think Mog is the first Moogle to speak the language of man.

Actually you're right, they still said "Kupo" type stuff in Secret of Mana.

I swear Mog never spoke a word of English, though.

IMAGE(http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/images/ff6/mog3.png)

Totally photoshopped. Totally.

ccesarano wrote:

Totally photoshopped. Totally.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Final_F...

Psh, can't trust Wikipedia. Anyone can edit it.

ccesarano wrote:

Psh, can't trust Wikipedia. Anyone can edit it.

You're a bastard.

It is known

Tanglebones wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

Psh, can't trust Wikipedia. Anyone can edit it.

Those puppets are significantly scarier than the in-game monsters.

Tanglebones wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

Psh, can't trust Wikipedia. Anyone can edit it.

Not a single "kupo." Blasphemy!

Has anyone played the international edition of FF12? I found out a while ago that you can fight the Judges in that version. That is pretty much all I wanted in that game after a while because to me the Judges were a missed opportunity in terms of gameplay and story.

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

I am so disappointed that FF 14 is an MMO. It just seems like the world has so much potential and the few screenshots I've seen their design choices are very appealing to me. With the exception of some not so protective female warrior armor.

While typing this I ran their benchmark test and the aesthetics are very nice. I like almost all the armor styles they showed in the test and the game looks really good. Monster designs seemed varied and interesting but I can pretty much guarantee that I would detest playing the actual game.

Also, someone said Moogles should never talk in a FF game in the JRPG thread. I say you are wrong! Mog was freaking awesome.

I agree. The aesthetics of that game are much more reminiscent of the FF I remember and cherish, than whatever FF13 and FF15 look like. Much more medieval, more fantastical, more of the stuff I love, except it´s an online mmo. f*ck that.

ccesarano wrote:

Actually you're right, they still said "Kupo" type stuff in Secret of Mana.

I swear Mog never spoke a word of English, though.

You´ve been proven wrong so many times it´s funny, but I just wanted to add in the ending cinematic, he says: "Hey! Watch the hair!"

Dammit, just read the wiki entry. I´ve been Tangleboneshaussered!

I've never been into MMOs, but I was considering giving FFXIV a try because it looks nifty. Also, crafting. I got an email saying I'll get a code for the PS3 beta soon, so... that's cool. As if I didn't have enough games to play for the rest of the year.

Also, last night I finally got Wakka´s Jupiter Sigil, finally getting 6 Celestial Weapons completely unlocked and powered. I love Lulu, but screw dodging 200 bolts in a row with no saving. That´s something I wish they would modify for this HD re-release. It´s just asinine. That, and Magic Urns. Seriously, what´s the point of them? Can´t kill them, can´t steal from them, the items he gives you for correctly hitting can either be bought at stores, or are extremely common drops and steals from every fiend. I honestly don´t get it. They just make capturing tonberries all the more annoying and time-consuming. Looking forward to the Dark Aeons and Penance, though.

On FF14, yeah, I really wish that was single-player-ed. The look and feel is just right. It just clicks. It´s old-school. The franchise could use old-school in their single-player, main-numbered titles in the franchise.

Demyx wrote:

I've never been into MMOs, but I was considering giving FFXIV a try because it looks nifty. Also, crafting. I got an email saying I'll get a code for the PS3 beta soon, so... that's cool. As if I didn't have enough games to play for the rest of the year.

I've been in the beta, and there is a lot of neat stuff. I never touched the crafting, but there are crafting quests everywhere--how they work, I have no clue.

kexx wrote:

I agree. The aesthetics of that game are much more reminiscent of the FF I remember and cherish, than whatever FF13 and FF15 look like.

I sometimes like the overdesigned WTFness of some later FFs, but I won't lie, some of the wind dropped from my sails when I got what would eventually be Lightning's best weapon in FFXIII, and it didn't look like an awesome sword, but more like something you'd serve a fancy cheeseball with.

Regarding armor and gender, I always thought FFXI was by and large egalitarian, or at least better than most, not because none of the gear was revealing, but because (with a few exceptions) everyone was mostly exposed in the same way. The Scorpion Harness had a pretty absurd side-boob, but put it on a dude and you'd get some really absurd side-peck action. The thief top was a midriff-baring half-vest sort of thing that I think could fairly be called "Fabulous" with three snaps. And for the lower level harnesses, at least woman characters got a bra. This wasn't always the case--some of the bottoms were pants for men and hot pants for women--but it happened often enough.

Blind_Evil wrote:

People should give XIV a shot if you have a chance. I scoffed at the idea of playing XI back when it was announced, but then a friend made me try it. Thousands of hours later, it's one of my favorite games in the franchise.

The reason I'm not going to play 14 is because of 11.

My wife, brother and I bought the ffxiv collectors edition v1.0 and it was terrible, albeit we didn't hang around until they pulled the ffxi dev team to turn the game around.

From what I can tell, they have remade ffxiv in the spirit of all modern mmorpgs and beta testing feedback is upbeat.

Agree with Blind_Evil that ffxi was fun. Sure it had its weaknesses but I recall having over 100 DAYS of logged in hours in game (a lot was probably afk), so old fans are quietly optimistic ffxiv reborn will deliver.